HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's assume there's a work stoppage

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2012, 03:32 PM
  #1
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Let's assume there's a work stoppage

If we should lose a full season again, which is not unreasonable to believe, our chances of landing a much needed Nathan McKinnon OR Seth Jones are actually quite good.

Here are the rules for the 2005 Draft Lottery:

With the rights to top prospect Sidney Crosby on the line and a new lottery formula ready to go, this year's NHL draft should be an interesting one.
The NHL and the NHL Players' Association reached a tentative agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement on Wednesday and pending ratification next week, the 2005 NHL entry draft will go ahead on July 30th in Ottawa.

It also means the Crosby sweepstakes can begin.



Rimouski Oceanic forward Sidney Crosby is expected to be chosen No. 1 in this year's NHL draft. But which team will have that honour? (CP File Photo)


"I'm excited that the two sides have finally reached an agreement," Crosby said Wednesday from Halifax.

"It's great to have the NHL back and now I can really look forward to the draft and hopefully playing in the NHL next season."

There is no question Crosby is the undisputed golden boy of this year's draft, having been touted as a future No. 1 pick since Wayne Gretzky called him "The Next One" several years ago.

"It's the Sidney Crosby draft no doubt, but I like the depth in this year's draft," Toronto Maple Leafs director of amateur scouting Barry Trapp told The Canadian Press. "I think there's a lot of talent out there."

Crosby, the Canadian Hockey League's most valuable player for the past two years, may be the best talent in this draft year of players born in 1987 and those born in 1986 after Sept. 15, but there are others as well.

Benoit Pouliot of the Sudbury Wolves is largely considered the No. 2 prospect and International Scouting Services has compared him to Tampa Bay forward Vincent Lecavalier.

Vancouver Giants forward Gilbert Brule, Owen Sound forward Bobby Ryan, Swedish centre Anze Kopitar and American defenceman Jack Johnson, who won a world under-18 championship with the U.S. in April, round out the top six prospects in the draft.

Other notables to watch out for in the top 10 include defenceman Marc Staal, younger brother of Carolina Hurricanes forward Eric Staal, Erie forward Ryan O'Marra and Slovak centre Marek Zagrapan, who was a 30-goal scorer for the Chicoutimi Sagueneens last year.

What makes this year's draft intriguing is that any of the NHL's 30 teams have a shot at landing the No. 1 pick.

Each team begins with three balls in the lottery barrel. For every playoff appearance in the last three years or No. 1 overall pick over the last four years, a team loses one ball.

With that scenario, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus and the New York Rangers have the best chance of drafting Crosby. Each of those teams will have the maximum three balls in the lottery barrel while the rest of the 30 teams will have either two or one.

Calgary and Edmonton are among the teams with two balls, while Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver each have one.

The lottery will likely be held at the NHL's board of governors meeting next week at the same time the owners ratify the new CBA.

Under the previous CBA, one of the league's bottom five teams in the regular season had the chance to win the first overall selection in a lottery situation.

This year's draft will also differ from the grandiose affairs of years past where potential draft picks would sit in the stands of the draft host's arena waiting for their names to be called and those lucky first-round selections would march on stage as cameras rolled and flashbulbs popped.

The 2005 draft may be a month past its original date and the festivities might be toned down, but one thing is for certain, Crosby will still have his moment in the spotlight.


Edmonton loses balls because they will have had three consecutive #1 picks.

We lose a ball because of the John Tavares draft.

The likes of the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning lose balls because of having appeared in the playoffs.

Columbus will have the best chance of securing the #1 pick, but let's be honest, they've had so much bad luck, that they deserve a break.

It would be a fairly equitable lottery, should it happen.

I'm not going to say that the NHL CAN'T afford another work stoppage, because they can. The fans will ALWAYS come back. But seriously, if we wind up with one of Nathan McKinnon or Seth Jones, it's worth it.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:05 PM
  #2
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,586
vCash: 500
interesting, but at least for me it is way too early to think of the 2013 draft. It would be absolutely awful to go a whole year without hockey from a fans perspective. Even if it would allow some of our prospects to develop another year.


Last edited by 19 in a row: 05-26-2012 at 05:03 PM.
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:06 PM
  #3
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,767
vCash: 500
If we lose another year I really don't see the Islanders staying in New York. Wang's already losing money and if he's getting no profits for an entire year, he'll sell to the first Canadian businessman that calls.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:51 PM
  #4
Ziggy16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
teh good news is that this cba will require less work and most of the big grunt stuff is already in place.. its only minor detailss this tiem around.. so if there is a stoppage, itll be an nba-esque short one with a short season, but theres no way a full season will get wiped this time...

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 05:01 PM
  #5
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
teh good news is that this cba will require less work and most of the big grunt stuff is already in place.. its only minor detailss this tiem around.. so if there is a stoppage, itll be an nba-esque short one with a short season, but theres no way a full season will get wiped this time...
It really depends on who wants to dig their heals in. I have little or no doubt that this will be an acrimonious labor dispute, and I won't be surprised if it leads to a lengthy work stoppage.

If there is a work stoppage, I don't see how it will directly impact where the Islanders play. A labor dispute in and of itself is not likely to be eonugh to force the Islanders into relocation.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 05:07 PM
  #6
Isles Enforcer
Registered User
 
Isles Enforcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Benoit Pouliot of the Sudbury Wolves is largely considered the No. 2 prospect and International Scouting Services has compared him to Tampa Bay forward Vincent Lecavalier.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 05:21 PM
  #7
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
My reaction, as well. This also helps defeat the myth of "cut off in talent."

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 06:35 PM
  #8
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,973
vCash: 500
There is the assumption here the same lottery system will be used...

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 06:46 PM
  #9
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
There is the assumption here the same lottery system will be used...
That's all there is to go on. It could be different, but honestly, I thought it was done reasonably last time. Of course, this is also looking way far ahead, but really, not that far.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:34 PM
  #10
BMOK33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,107
vCash: 500
There is no way in hell this league is going to risk another full season lost after how far they've come since 2005. I could see there being a slight delay to the season but thats about it.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:43 PM
  #11
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
There is no way in hell this league is going to risk another full season lost after how far they've come since 2005. I could see there being a slight delay to the season but thats about it.
Assume nothing. It is arrogant to base logic on things that "can't happen" - I would not bet on a lost season, but I sure as hell won't count it out.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:09 PM
  #12
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Lets assume there won't be a work stoppage, because there won't. Then lets close this thread

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:49 PM
  #13
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Lets assume there won't be a work stoppage, because there won't. Then lets close this thread
Donald Fehr, Gary Bettman, owners, NHLPA, I'm glad to see that you're actually all rolled into one. I had no idea that you were the same person and called yourself, "LotteryForLife" - Not only ... wait a minute, are you God?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:41 AM
  #14
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,747
vCash: 500
There won't be a stoppage. Neither side is that stupid. The players have been making money under the arrangement. Their issues are tactical, not structural.

That said, I'd loooooove to see Nathan on the Isles. I've gotten to see him quite a bit this year. He's going to be a great NHLer.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:58 AM
  #15
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Donald Fehr, Gary Bettman, owners, NHLPA, I'm glad to see that you're actually all rolled into one. I had no idea that you were the same person and called yourself, "LotteryForLife" - Not only ... wait a minute, are you God?
No, but unlike you, I have common sense

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:59 AM
  #16
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
There won't be a stoppage. Neither side is that stupid. The players have been making money under the arrangement. Their issues are tactical, not structural.

That said, I'd loooooove to see Nathan on the Isles. I've gotten to see him quite a bit this year. He's going to be a great NHLer.
Thank you. Finally, someone who gets it

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:27 AM
  #17
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
No, but unlike you, I have common sense
Fair enough. Unlike you, I have business sense.

From a common sense point of view, why won't there be a work stoppage?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:34 AM
  #18
seafoam
.
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,853
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Fair enough. Unlike you, I have business sense.

From a common sense point of view, why won't there be a work stoppage?
Because both the players and the league know that another work stoppage would be harmful to not only the NHL but hockey. Alot of people lost interest when we had the lockout years ago and never got back into it. Hockey isn't popular as it is and couldn't survive a work stoppage like the NFL or NBA. It's as simple as that.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:08 AM
  #19
Isles Enforcer
Registered User
 
Isles Enforcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Because both the players and the league know that another work stoppage would be harmful to not only the NHL but hockey. Alot of people lost interest when we had the lockout years ago and never got back into it. Hockey isn't popular as it is and couldn't survive a work stoppage like the NFL or NBA. It's as simple as that.
^^ This and I'll take it a step further. This years playoffs have had the highest ratings since who knows when. The NHL big wigs can't be that dumb to realize that MAYBE, just maybe people are starting to come back now, bringing the casual fan back into the mix as well. Another lockout would damage everything they so desperately tried to save. I couldn't imagine they would even go this route. I think it would be more damaging to the sport as a whole.

The NHL is already being brought to light as a stepbrother to all the other major sports and is losing coverage to Nascar and Poker (really?). Any sort of progress they are making now would be lost. I just don't see them going that route.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:12 AM
  #20
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Because both the players and the league know that another work stoppage would be harmful to not only the NHL but hockey. Alot of people lost interest when we had the lockout years ago and never got back into it. Hockey isn't popular as it is and couldn't survive a work stoppage like the NFL or NBA. It's as simple as that.
Erroneous. The fans will ALWAYS come back! I can promise you, even if there is another season-long stoppage, the fans on every hockey message board will be waiting with baited breath for the game to came back. It happened in March '92 when there was an 11 day strike, it happened in '94 when there was a 3 1/2 lockout, and it happened again in 04-05 when we lost a whole year. When it was all over and done with, the fans were relieved and happy that the game came back. They will do the same if another impasse should be reached. Hockey fans care too much about the game to be unforgiving like that.

To an extent, the Players Association has already dug their heals in by not approving the realignment. The 2012-13 schedule will be made within the next two weeks, and Winnipeg is still in the Eastern Conference, Phoenix is unresolved, and the current CBA expires in 3 1/2 months. So to say that "there won't be a work stoppage" with such vigor is just simply wishful thinking if not completely naive.

I would love for there to not be a work stoppage, but I can very easily see it happening. To this point, it hasn't been a hot-button issue in the media, but just wait until mid-July or so once the Stanley Cup is won, the awards are handed out, the draft takes place, and most of the worth-while free agents are signed. Then the heat cranks up a little and the CBA becomes the primary focus.

The Rangers won the Stanley Cup in 1994 and all seemed well and good. Hockey was in a great situation at the time. Then the baseball strike would loom, and I remember taking lunch from my summer college class, picking up a Newsday, and reading, "Hockey next?" - but this would be a lockout opposed to a strike. Naive and wishful, I bought tickets to the Islander v. Lightning game for October 1, 1994; which was the earliest day that the NHL would ever start its season, and ironically, the NHL would start later than ever before. My thinking was, "I've got the tickets, there's no way that there will be a work stoppage." - On October 1, 1994; it rained hard, and I couldn't believe that I wasn't going to the Islander game. I had the tickets, but there was nowhere to go. Ultimately, I returned them for a full refund, and I was upset. When January rolled around, I found WFAN, and hockey was the primary focus in January. More focus than the NBA, which is unusual.

And don't forget, this business is run by accountants, not compassionate humanitarians, although they need not be mutually exclusive. The owners of sports teams are in a position where they practically expect to lose money. They can do with or without a hockey season, and generally, they can do with or without the fans. The players need the game, and they will eventually cave, but they won't do so without a fight. And a fight could last anywhere from a week to a full season... or even longer.

Don't expect an amicable agreement simply because you want one. Hockey doesn't need us. I know it sounds silly, but hockey simply doesn't need its fans. No sport does. The owners of these teams own the teams for ego, not for the need of money. Mike Illitch, Charles Wang, the Dolans, and all the other owners could lose their teams tomorrow and be perfectly fine. It's not that important to them financially.

Assume nothing. Trust me, the NHL CAN AFFORD IT!

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:54 AM
  #21
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,468
vCash: 500
The NHL is experiencing strong continued growth with league wide parity. Its owners have no reason to switch it up other than greed. The players have yet to see their salaries rise to prelockout levels but cap-cutting contracts have begun to erode at that.

We may lose half a season but a full on lockout would be tough to envision considering the biggest points of contention are the players wanting more say in league business decisions and the owners wanting to increase their share of the revenue to that of other capped leagues. Neither are the huge restructurings that was implementing a cap.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:01 AM
  #22
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
The NHL is experiencing strong continued growth with league wide parity. Its owners have no reason to switch it up other than greed. The players have yet to see their salaries rise to prelockout levels but cap-cutting contracts have begun to erode at that.

We may lose half a season but a full on lockout would be tough to envision considering the biggest points of contention are the players wanting more say in league business decisions and the owners wanting to increase their share of the revenue to that of other capped leagues. Neither are the huge restructurings that was implementing a cap.
I agree, a season-long work stoppage is unlikely, but not impossible. And who's to say that a work stoppage will be a result of a lockout? It could be a strike. There is no certainty at this point, and there's no labor agreement.

For anyone to unequivocally say that there "won't be a work stoppage" is just hoping with all hope that there won't be, and I understand that. But my suggestion would be to not get hopes too high, because I will not at all be surprised if there's a work stoppage of some point. It could be a day, it could be a week, it could be a year, but it's a mistake to automatically assume that the NHL can't afford it because that's what some fans think.

I did not say that there will definitely be a work stoppage, but some fans have said that there definitely WON'T be. And that is an error, because nothing is definite.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:05 PM
  #23
seafoam
.
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,853
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Erroneous. The fans will ALWAYS come back! I can promise you, even if there is another season-long stoppage, the fans on every hockey message board will be waiting with baited breath for the game to came back. It happened in March '92 when there was an 11 day strike, it happened in '94 when there was a 3 1/2 lockout, and it happened again in 04-05 when we lost a whole year. When it was all over and done with, the fans were relieved and happy that the game came back. They will do the same if another impasse should be reached. Hockey fans care too much about the game to be unforgiving like that.

To an extent, the Players Association has already dug their heals in by not approving the realignment. The 2012-13 schedule will be made within the next two weeks, and Winnipeg is still in the Eastern Conference, Phoenix is unresolved, and the current CBA expires in 3 1/2 months. So to say that "there won't be a work stoppage" with such vigor is just simply wishful thinking if not completely naive.

I would love for there to not be a work stoppage, but I can very easily see it happening. To this point, it hasn't been a hot-button issue in the media, but just wait until mid-July or so once the Stanley Cup is won, the awards are handed out, the draft takes place, and most of the worth-while free agents are signed. Then the heat cranks up a little and the CBA becomes the primary focus.

The Rangers won the Stanley Cup in 1994 and all seemed well and good. Hockey was in a great situation at the time. Then the baseball strike would loom, and I remember taking lunch from my summer college class, picking up a Newsday, and reading, "Hockey next?" - but this would be a lockout opposed to a strike. Naive and wishful, I bought tickets to the Islander v. Lightning game for October 1, 1994; which was the earliest day that the NHL would ever start its season, and ironically, the NHL would start later than ever before. My thinking was, "I've got the tickets, there's no way that there will be a work stoppage." - On October 1, 1994; it rained hard, and I couldn't believe that I wasn't going to the Islander game. I had the tickets, but there was nowhere to go. Ultimately, I returned them for a full refund, and I was upset. When January rolled around, I found WFAN, and hockey was the primary focus in January. More focus than the NBA, which is unusual.

And don't forget, this business is run by accountants, not compassionate humanitarians, although they need not be mutually exclusive. The owners of sports teams are in a position where they practically expect to lose money. They can do with or without a hockey season, and generally, they can do with or without the fans. The players need the game, and they will eventually cave, but they won't do so without a fight. And a fight could last anywhere from a week to a full season... or even longer.

Don't expect an amicable agreement simply because you want one. Hockey doesn't need us. I know it sounds silly, but hockey simply doesn't need its fans. No sport does. The owners of these teams own the teams for ego, not for the need of money. Mike Illitch, Charles Wang, the Dolans, and all the other owners could lose their teams tomorrow and be perfectly fine. It's not that important to them financially.

Assume nothing. Trust me, the NHL CAN AFFORD IT!
Your talking about the diehard fans, I'm talking about the fans who don't play hockey and follow it because of Crosby and Ovechkin, etc. Those are the fans that make the sport big, those are the fans that lead to an increase of coverage on Sportscenter, and TV deals with NBC. All those fans will go back to watching the NBA and NFL and forget about hockey.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:33 PM
  #24
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Your talking about the diehard fans, I'm talking about the fans who don't play hockey and follow it because of Crosby and Ovechkin, etc. Those are the fans that make the sport big, those are the fans that lead to an increase of coverage on Sportscenter, and TV deals with NBC. All those fans will go back to watching the NBA and NFL and forget about hockey.
Those fans will come and go, anyway. Hockey always has, and always will survive on their dedicated fans who will always be there anyway.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:02 PM
  #25
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 18,176
vCash: 500
How about we stop blowing are loads for future draft picks and start trying to trade for some decent players and make the playoffs...NaTMAC will do what for us?

It means notrhing if we dont have the rite supporting cast

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.