HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So who are you rooting for now? Devils or Kings?

View Poll Results: Who are you rooting for now, if either team?
I am rooting for the Kings. 100 63.29%
I am rooting for the Devils. 34 21.52%
I do not care either way. 18 11.39%
Huh? They are still playing hockey? 6 3.80%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-26-2012, 09:59 AM
KIRK

vCash: 500
I'm pulling for the Kings. I'm hoping maybe the Pens organization notices how you can't stop both Richards and Kopitar when BOTH have two good wingers each and how Sutter uses Richards and Kopitar and then says 'gee, I wonder what would happen if we positioned and used Crosby and Malkin that way'.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:00 AM
gordie

The Kings of course like every other Pens fan on here should be. Do you really want New Jersey to get its fourth cup before the Pens do? Also think about how much crying will be come from from Cryer fans if Gagne, Richards & Carter lift the cup in LA and not Philadelphia. Kings all the way.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:17 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

At one time I appreciated the thought of Carter and Co. lifting the Cup, but too many Philly fans have jumped on the Kings bandwagon and kind of ruined it for me.

I'll be rooting for the Devils. I'd like to see Marty lift the Cup one more time and then retire. Hopefully he can get those $500K/year alimony payments lowered when he does

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:20 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
At one time I appreciated the thought of Carter and Co. lifting the Cup, but too many Philly fans have jumped on the Kings bandwagon and kind of ruined it for me.

I'll be rooting for the Devils. I'd like to see Marty lift the Cup one more time and then retire. Hopefully he can get those $500K/year alimony payments lowered when he does
Two ways to look at that . . . like you do, which is 'I don't want Philly fans to find joy even in an ex-player winning the cup'. Alternative: Here you've got two core guys from the Flyers, and they only find success when they're freed from the shackles of that organization that will be talking about it's 1975 cup fifty years from now.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Honestly, I don't buy it. Maybe a few of them actually think this but I think you will see articles and blog posts and forum threads all over the place asking if they made the right move getting rid of them. I always like extra doubt in the heads of the Philly organization.

Also, I can't bring myself to root for the Devils. Sure, they might be the least of the division evils, but they are still a division evil. I wish them nothing but the worst unless they are playing the greater division evils or the Caps.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:39 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Los Angeles
  1. They've never won a cup before
  2. 8th seed
  3. I like a bunch of their players, even Mike Richards who I liked even when he was a Flyer
  4. I don't really care to see New Jersey win their 4th Stanley Cup in the last 18 years.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:02 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Two ways to look at that . . . like you do, which is 'I don't want Philly fans to find joy even in an ex-player winning the cup'. Alternative: Here you've got two core guys from the Flyers, and they only find success when they're freed from the shackles of that organization that will be talking about it's 1975 cup fifty years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Honestly, I don't buy it. Maybe a few of them actually think this but I think you will see articles and blog posts and forum threads all over the place asking if they made the right move getting rid of them. I always like extra doubt in the heads of the Philly organization.

Also, I can't bring myself to root for the Devils. Sure, they might be the least of the division evils, but they are still a division evil. I wish them nothing but the worst unless they are playing the greater division evils or the Caps.
I see the points both of you are making. I visit the Philly board from time to time, just for the lulz ... not posting, just reading. They've voiced a lot of support for the Kings aka Philly West since the beginning of the playoffs. Whether LAK wins or not, there will still be a lot of second guessing from their fan base and media in regards to those trades. The Kings just reek of too much eau de Philly for my taste.

And, I can also see the point about NJD being rivals, and not wanting them to have more Cup wins than the Pens ... but lets be honest, if Marty retires after this season they really have no one to replace him. Hedberg is getting long in the tooth himself, and while their prospects have put up some decent numbers, none of it has been in net for the big club. Marty retiring is a good thing from a rivalry point of view, because as inconsistent as he's been the last couple years he's still pretty good between the pipes. Not to mention how it will effect the team overall.

Mostly, though, I like the idea of Marty capping off an incredible career with one more win.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I see the points both of you are making. I visit the Philly board from time to time, just for the lulz ... not posting, just reading. They've voiced a lot of support for the Kings aka Philly West since the beginning of the playoffs. Whether LAK wins or not, there will still be a lot of second guessing from their fan base and media in regards to those trades. The Kings just reek of too much eau de Philly for my taste.

And, I can also see the point about NJD being rivals, and not wanting them to have more Cup wins than the Pens ... but lets be honest, if Marty retires after this season they really have no one to replace him. Hedberg is getting long in the tooth himself, and while their prospects have put up some decent numbers, none of it has been in net for the big club. Marty retiring is a good thing from a rivalry point of view, because as inconsistent as he's been the last couple years he's still pretty good between the pipes. Not to mention how it will effect the team overall.

Mostly, though, I like the idea of Marty capping off an incredible career with one more win.
I hope he never wins another game in his life. Ideally he would go out in an embarrassing barrage of goals against.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:27 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
I hope he never wins another game in his life. Ideally he would go out in an embarrassing barrage of goals against.
Not a fan, huh?

OK, how about this ... My son is a Devils fan, and we have a standing agreement that the only time we root against each others team is when they play against each other.
Keeping peace in the family

Old
05-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Not a fan, huh?

OK, how about this ... My son is a Devils fan, and we have a standing agreement that the only time we root against each others team is when they play against each other.
Keeping peace in the family
that's fair I guess. Though I have to wonder about anyone who lets their son grow up to be a Devils fan.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:33 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
that's fair I guess. Though I have to wonder about anyone who lets their son grow up to be a Devils fan.
One of the hazards of teaching your child to think for themself

Old
05-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I'm probably leaning more towards the Devils. I like some of Kings and don't mind the team as a whole, but that fanbase is insufferable. If they're this bad now, I can't imagine how bad they'll be if they win a cup.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:01 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

They really made a mistake making Richards captain. Pierre McGuire might think he was a great leader but evidence showed other wise. In reality he was a loud mouth who like to party too much.

He fits in much better as just another part of the team.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Kings, but I wouldn't mind if the Devils won. Just glad Philly and the Rangers aren't in it.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Before you vote for the Kings, consider the possibility that Mike Richards is a chav.

Exhibit A
The suspect...

Exhibit B
Seen wearing one of these in recent interview...

Exhibit C
Seen partying within these guys last summer...

Ex Flyer... Caddy... Chav... bandwagon town... nope... can't root for the Kings. Any coolness created by Quick (greatest goalie name ever), Brown and Kopitar is ruined by Richards, Carter and Penner.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 05-26-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:33 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

I like both teams, honestly. Gun to my head, I'm saying Devils, because they play a little bit more of an offensive game (which isn't to say LA just sticks 5 guys in front of the tender in a shell)

but, on the other hand, the notion that the two guys Philadelphia decided it would be impossible to win a cup with, would win a cup the very next season is just sweet sweet sweet.

either way, I'm happy for whomever wins

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Is this a question? LA all the way. New Jersey has simply been the lesser evil throughout the east playoffs.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:51 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Whats a chav

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:09 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Yeah, I'm confused too. What is wrong with the hat?

Plus for all the talk about the annoying fan base, I remember wanting to strangle Pens fans back in 08 & 09 myself.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:13 PM
diligent_d

Kings. Could never bring myself to root for the Devils.

diligent_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Kings, but don't really care really.

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:01 PM
diligent_d

Plus for history's sake, I don't want the Devils to have more Stanley Cups than the Pens.

diligent_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Kings. Love some of their players, their style of play, and their uniforms are the best in pro sports.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diligent_d View Post
Plus for history's sake, I don't want the Devils to have more Stanley Cups than the Pens.
How did you all feel before 2009?

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Either's fine. I'm just ecstatic that the Caps, Flyers, and Rangers are all out.
This, but I'm pulling for the Kings to win. I love Brown, Quick, Richards, Carter, etc...

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote