HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

comrie to LA?

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 10:34 AM
speeds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Bryzgalov is a good pick-up but what would we do with him when Deslauriers is ready I say go for Gerber he is the perfect stop-gap between Deslauriers and Salo, he also makes $500,000 dollars a year which is exactly how much we save off Tommy's buy-out it does not force us to raise our budget for goalies, him and Conklin are more than capable fo holding it down(just ride the hot hand).
Why would EDM go for Gerber over Bryzgalov (if they like Bryz as a potential starter?

Bryzgalov apparantely has starter potential, is still quite young. What happens if Deslauriers is never ready? goalie prospects aren't exactly the most sure thing in the world.

If Bryzgalov comes in and can start in a year or two, worry about Deslauriers when the time comes, IMO.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:59 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Why would EDM go for Gerber over Bryzgalov (if they like Bryz as a potential starter?

Bryzgalov apparantely has starter potential, is still quite young. What happens if Deslauriers is never ready? goalie prospects aren't exactly the most sure thing in the world.

If Bryzgalov comes in and can start in a year or two, worry about Deslauriers when the time comes, IMO.
I guess peoples' interest in Gerber comes from two factors- first, Gerber is already proving that he can play at a high level in the NHL, which Bryzgalov hasn't done yet. Second, people like me didn't realize until just now that Gerber is already 29 years old.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:11 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds

They are not going to trade Bryzgalov for a box of cracker jacks he is a top ranked goalie prospect they will want something substansial and far more costly than what it would take to free Gerber who at this point is better and more consistent than Bryzgalov. Far as I am concerned Gerber is the safer and cheaper bet(in terms of trade value and salary) if your planning on someone to replace Salo. Gerber does not have "starter potential" he is one right now and is far better than anyone seems to be willing to give him credit for the only reason he is in the role of back-up is because he is behind one of the best (top 2-3) goalies in the league in Giguere. He also has a lot more experience International and NHL I would feel a lot more comfortable with 29 yr. old Gerber and 27yr old Conklin than pairing Conklin with 23yr old Bryzgalov who has no NHL experience and far less international experience.Conklin and Bryzgalov only have 16NHL games between the both of them putting all your hopes on that is just plain scary.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:27 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
They are not going to trade Bryzgalov for a box of cracker jacks he is a top ranked goalie prospect they will want something substansial and far more costly than what it would take to free Gerber who at this point is better and more consistent than Bryzgalov. Far as I am concerned Gerber is the safer and cheaper bet(in terms of trade value and salary) if your planning on someone to replace Salo. Gerber does not have "starter potential" he is one right now and is far better than anyone seems to be willing to give him credit for the only reason he is in the role of back-up is because he is behind one of the best (top 2-3) goalies in the league in Giguere. He also has a lot more experience International and NHL I would feel a lot more comfortable with 29 yr. old Gerber and 27yr old Conklin than pairing Conklin with 23yr old Bryzgalov who has no NHL experience and far less international experience.Conklin and Bryzgalov only have 16NHL games between the both of them putting all your hopes on that is just plain scary.
very fair points.

to me though the age factor is probably too much to ignore though. It wouldn't bother me to see Gerber end up here, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer Bryzgalov even if he is a bit more risky.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:56 AM
USC Trojans
AD

I'd take the high risk high return option in Bryzgalov. Don't we already have a Gerber type player in Conklin? Not quite young, a good backup, and unproven as a starter.

Old
11-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Whitenoise

http://oilfans.com/forum/index.php?t...1959d01d2fed9b

Bryn over on Oilfans is saying that he's heard Comrie for.... drumroll please... Corey Perry and a second round pick from Anaheim! Perry is leading the OHL in scoring right now, but yeesh, if that's all Lowe can get right now then perhaps he should hang on to Comrie until closer to the deadline and deal him to a team looking to add some depth for the playoffs. Some of you are saying that Lowe has switched focus from a roster player to prospects + picks and this seems to go along with that. At the very least, I'd want that second rounder upgraded to a first, but I'd much rather get a roster player for Comrie.

Perhaps we really are overrating Comrie? I thought we were, but definately not as much as this deal suggests.

Old
11-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitenoise
http://oilfans.com/forum/index.php?t...1959d01d2fed9b

Bryn over on Oilfans is saying that he's heard Comrie for.... drumroll please... Corey Perry and a second round pick from Anaheim! Perry is leading the OHL in scoring right now, but yeesh, if that's all Lowe can get right now then perhaps he should hang on to Comrie until closer to the deadline and deal him to a team looking to add some depth for the playoffs. Some of you are saying that Lowe has switched focus from a roster player to prospects + picks and this seems to go along with that. At the very least, I'd want that second rounder upgraded to a first, but I'd much rather get a roster player for Comrie.

Perhaps we really are overrating Comrie? I thought we were, but definately not as much as this deal suggests.
I refuse to get excited about it, Bryn was the same guy who way back when said his 'sources' told him Comrie would be dealt just before the regular season started to Atlanta for some anonymous Russian. Could be true, very likely not.

Good point about us perhaps overrating Comrie though...we should steel ourselves for the possibility that maybe, just maybe, rival teams look at Comrie and see a 5'9" center with poor faceoff skills and a headache agent, not the 30 goal scoring 23 year old that we like to value him as.

IF this deal is close to the truth, Lowe had better sit tight and wait till the trade deadline.

Closed Thread