HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

EHM 07 - Part 9

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2012, 10:31 PM
BleedBlue42

vCash: 500
Hey guys, so I'm thinking of trying out this game, as I think being a GM would be pretty cool. So what's the point in this game? And in what season do you start out with? Which aspects of the organization can you control? Thanks in advance.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:50 PM
duari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBrathwaite View Post
Hey guys, so I'm thinking of trying out this game, as I think being a GM would be pretty cool. So what's the point in this game? And in what season do you start out with? Which aspects of the organization can you control? Thanks in advance.
The year is 2007 in game, however; You can easily download and install database updates on the internet that will bring all the rosters up to current date. As for what you can do. You can do basically anything any real life GM can do, with the exception of a few things (like changing affiliates)

Old
05-22-2012, 12:16 AM
RO8

lol I basically don't scout much at all I have probably 10 scouts or so and usually only scout the draft(intensive) when the rankings 1st come out other than that I have 1 scout for next opposition and it generally works itself out. Since I scout most of the players before they enter the league through the draft I usually end up having scouted most players but I'm pretty good at eyeing talent in the draft so I generally have to much talent coming up anyways and I really only like drafting my own talent I don't like trading or other such methods as much.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

has anyone got this successfully running on a linux distro?

Old
05-22-2012, 11:08 PM
jbreiner

Hobnobs, I have it running on Ubuntu 12.04. Though I've run it on about every version since 10.04. I will say this if you are looking to run the CSD, I have not gotten that to work. Also it does not run in windowed mode at all while running in Linux. I've noticed a couple things seem to not save for example the icon to just jump right into your last saved game, as well as the settings menu (I can never get the stupid in game sound to save for more than a session).

Old
05-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreiner View Post
Hobnobs, I have it running on Ubuntu 12.04. Though I've run it on about every version since 10.04. I will say this if you are looking to run the CSD, I have not gotten that to work. Also it does not run in windowed mode at all while running in Linux. I've noticed a couple things seem to not save for example the icon to just jump right into your last saved game, as well as the settings menu (I can never get the stupid in game sound to save for more than a session).
yea it seems like both this and FM is one of the hardest games for linux to handle. I will try getting it to run on xubuntu and see what happens

Old
05-23-2012, 06:12 AM
jbreiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
yea it seems like both this and FM is one of the hardest games for linux to handle. I will try getting it to run on xubuntu and see what happens
Alright, I don't think you'll be able to get it to run on xfce. You might try running it in gnome. I never could figure out why I could not get it to run in xfce. I assume it was having issues with xfce trying to make it run in wndowed mode. All it would ever do for me is just immediately quit to desktop.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreiner View Post
Alright, I don't think you'll be able to get it to run on xfce. You might try running it in gnome. I never could figure out why I could not get it to run in xfce. I assume it was having issues with xfce trying to make it run in wndowed mode. All it would ever do for me is just immediately quit to desktop.
Hmm.. strange. Must be some reason for it haha

Old
05-24-2012, 10:00 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Question for you guys that are good with tactics: Do you ever tinker with goalie tactics? I only changed Price from 'play the puck' to 'stay in crease' but I'm not sure what relates to what in terms of the personal tactics.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:47 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

I don't bother with goalie personals. Maybe that's why they almost always suck in regular season for me.

Anyway... behold the epic PIM Master callup from South Africa:

1624 PIM projected over 82 games.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Non-sequitur note, just because I feel the urge to say something about it...

Started an OHL season with Niagara, made a couple of tweaks but nothing terribly major (made a good size trade, a depth trade and signed a good overager) and started 19-0-0 which is a record for me. I stopped playing offensive-minded hockey because the game rewards that too much and it wasn't a challenge, so my last several games (two or three dozen or so) have been devoted to defense. So this 19-0-0 start isn't from trading all my picks for the best players, getting 2 godly lines and playing them 90 second shifts on full-out attack mode. (not that there's anything wrong with that, that's just not fun for me)

It's a pretty passive defensive system, that had Mark Visentin sporting a 1.17 GAA and a .947 save pct. but only 2 shutouts.

It was pretty exciting for me, as I never really get some of the astounding numbers that so many screenshots have provided here...I don't really try to break the bank with goal-scoring or anything though...in fact, my best player, Ryan Strome, is the only player on the team that is in the top-30 in scoring in the OHL...

Thought it was pretty cool, anyway back to other discussion...

Old
05-26-2012, 12:15 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Non-sequitur note, just because I feel the urge to say something about it...

Started an OHL season with Niagara, made a couple of tweaks but nothing terribly major (made a good size trade, a depth trade and signed a good overager) and started 19-0-0 which is a record for me. I stopped playing offensive-minded hockey because the game rewards that too much and it wasn't a challenge, so my last several games (two or three dozen or so) have been devoted to defense. So this 19-0-0 start isn't from trading all my picks for the best players, getting 2 godly lines and playing them 90 second shifts on full-out attack mode. (not that there's anything wrong with that, that's just not fun for me)

It's a pretty passive defensive system, that had Mark Visentin sporting a 1.17 GAA and a .947 save pct. but only 2 shutouts.

It was pretty exciting for me, as I never really get some of the astounding numbers that so many screenshots have provided here...I don't really try to break the bank with goal-scoring or anything though...in fact, my best player, Ryan Strome, is the only player on the team that is in the top-30 in scoring in the OHL...

Thought it was pretty cool, anyway back to other discussion...
That's awesome, I remember I did something (or tried to) like that a long time ago before I knew about setting up my own practices, things like personal tactics or even unit tactics. I should try that again at some point.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:29 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
I don't bother with goalie personals. Maybe that's why they almost always suck in regular season for me.

Anyway... behold the epic PIM Master callup from South Africa:

1624 PIM projected over 82 games.
Just curious, where did you draft/sign him out of? Could you post a pic of his playing history? Thanks in advance.

On an kind-of unrelated note, I fooled around with the pre-game editor and made it so that every nation in the game can generate players/staff. In one of my games, I have found players from places like Papua New Guinea and Nepal, mostly playing in low-level American junior leagues.

Old
05-26-2012, 06:53 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Just curious, where did you draft/sign him out of? Could you post a pic of his playing history? Thanks in advance.

On an kind-of unrelated note, I fooled around with the pre-game editor and made it so that every nation in the game can generate players/staff. In one of my games, I have found players from places like Papua New Guinea and Nepal, mostly playing in low-level American junior leagues.

I always scout players eligible for draft from exotic countries, and if no good potential guys are available, I burn my low end draft picks on them if they have good mentals and passable technicals. I have currently two Spaniards, two Japanese, a Mexican and a Dutch in the system, in addition to Mr. Shaka Zulu here.

Old
05-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Ranson6
Rookie User

New league need a simmer

http://trsl.proboards.com/index.cgi

LET ME KNOW ON SITE IF INTERESTED PLEASE

Old
05-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Carlzner

Why do my players always want 1 year contract extensions? Do I just have to offer them longer ones myself? Sometimes they'll reject if I do that.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

I finally got back into EHM, this time with the Wild. I'm partway through my fifth season and fresh off of a Stanley Cup championship. I've got a good team now, but I'm really looking forward to a seeing some of my prospects in a few years.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:44 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Why do my players always want 1 year contract extensions? Do I just have to offer them longer ones myself? Sometimes they'll reject if I do that.
I try lowball them a lot of times if they only want 1 year. I get caught in this same thing, sometimes I will offer a few years. Alex Ovechkin is one player I've always had great luck with. I remember I signed him to at least 2-3 contracts at $7 mil/yr and he keeps accepting. I find he's a very loyal "team" player.

Richie once gave advice that I use to this day: for players you "know" will turn into superstars, sign them right as you draft them and put them in the AHL/ECHL or wherever for their entry level contract and then afterwards, as long as they aren't putting up solid 9s you should be able to sign them to like a 10-year contract of around $2.3-2.7 mil a year. I signed a d-man to a 10-year contract at ~$1.5 mil/year because he's more defensive but still is all-around great. My #2 d-man is signed at $3.5 mil/year for another 5 years after the current season and he's all green in technical attributes and is good in all the other areas.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:50 PM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post

I always scout players eligible for draft from exotic countries, and if no good potential guys are available, I burn my low end draft picks on them if they have good mentals and passable technicals. I have currently two Spaniards, two Japanese, a Mexican and a Dutch in the system, in addition to Mr. Shaka Zulu here.
Can we see those two Spainards ?

Old
06-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Hampe
The Hampster

I believe my team is cursed. Every year that I'm doing really well, usually right around late February or early March, my top scorer sustains a serious injury and misses the rest of the season and playoffs. Last two years it was Marian Gaborik, year before it was Jeff Carter.

I still managed to win the Cup last year, only because I raged and traded for Ilya Kovalchuk

Old
06-01-2012, 03:47 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
So for the first time ever, I decided to use the save-game editor and put in a generational talent. I picked the kid ranked 1st for the WHL draft and set his CA to 150 and PA to 200 and adjusted a bunch of the attributes. I didn't put him in there for myself since I'm still in the NHL with the Lightning, in 2023. By the time this kid, Chase Chipman, reaches the NHL, I'll move along back to major junior since I'm kinda tired of the NHL. Started out in the OHL for 6-7 seasons, then took over the Lightning. Just gotta finish the career of my regen superstar who I drafted in the OHL (20th overall) and traded for with the Lightning. He's 31 now, so he's probably got 6ish seasons left.

Granted, his attributes doesn't look like much...

Career stats:

He's a two-way beast, too.
Just wanted to say as an Owen Sound fan seeing you lead the team to 3 straight Mem Cups with that guy in your lineup... The city would be absolutely insane to be in during those years. Oh if only that could be real.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:27 PM
fizban

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksfan15109 View Post
I believe my team is cursed. Every year that I'm doing really well, usually right around late February or early March, my top scorer sustains a serious injury and misses the rest of the season and playoffs. Last two years it was Marian Gaborik, year before it was Jeff Carter.

I still managed to win the Cup last year, only because I raged and traded for Ilya Kovalchuk
If Gaborik is on your team, you're damned lucky that you had him until February or March.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:23 AM
Hampe
The Hampster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizban View Post
If Gaborik is on your team, you're damned lucky that you had him until February or March.
Yeah, no kidding. He rarely gets in over 70GP but damn is he awesome during those games. It's worth it.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:02 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Had trouble finding a download when I was setting up my Macbook. Anyone know where I can find it?

Old
06-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

Finally went into the playoffs healthy and managed to nab another Cup. I believe it was the strongest offensive season a team of mine has ever had. Gaborik had 60 goals, Crosby had around 130 points, Pitkanen had 69 points on the blueline. Of course, Ovechkin had to be a buzzkill and score 80 goals for the Caps Anyways, this should make for some awkward family dinner conversations:

Closed Thread