HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spacek/Gill confirm Martin is garbage coach, Gauthier senile old man, Cunney a puppet

Old
05-25-2012, 09:51 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

vCash: 500
Are you guys kidding about Kostitsyn???

He has no heart on the ice and if anything this playoffs prove that he's a head case OFF the ice as well!

He a pure floater who is as lazy as he is talented...Kovalev 2.0

I wouldn't want this bum on my team if he were FREE!

On another topic I wonder what Gainey is thinking watching McDonough this playoff season as a ROOKIE!

"I'm an idiot at judging talent" would be a start.

Worse what does Dallas think about hiring this guy, Joe must be saying "what did I do!"

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Are you guys kidding about Kostitsyn???

He has no heart on the ice and if anything this playoffs prove that he's a head case OFF the ice as well!

He a pure floater who is as lazy as he is talented...Kovalev 2.0

I wouldn't want this bum on my team if he were FREE!

On another topic I wonder what Gainey is thinking watching McDonough this playoff season as a ROOKIE!

"I'm an idiot at judging talent" would be a start.

Worse what does Dallas think about hiring this guy, Joe must be saying "what did I do!"
Kovalev was a pretty decent player so long as you didn't count on him for too much too. And for all the lazy Russian stereotypes his playoff scoring was consistantly good.

If there was a 27 year old Kovalev out there right now I'd say snatch him up so long as it doesn't break the bank.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Ryan Getzlaf gets into drunken bar fights the night before a game, police comes over, and then stinks it up during a loss, and nobody says "I wouldn't want Getzlaf".

I wonder what the difference is, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ??????
Did he do it the night before an afternoon playoffs' game?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:39 AM
nhlfan9191

Did we need Spacek to confirm this?

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
The difference is he won a cup (which he was a good part of) and he's a physical beast. But inconsistent the past 2 seasons. Would love to have him but would cost too much. Not worth the expected return.
Oh god how I want this guy on the team!! I think the trade would basically be a swap with our 1st pick. It wouldn't be so bad if you consider the fact that the player likely traded to make room would be Plekanec and he could get a mighty good return.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Just sounds like a relatively objective person seeing for what Martin was, one of the best coaches, if not the best, we have had in the last decade.

I think you're trolling. Best at what?

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Martin is one of the best things that has happened to this team in years. The immediate nosedive we took right after his firing proves that. If he was around in 2008 we could have won the cup.
Problem is that when you start comparing Martin to what we had...was it that hard to be better than any of those guys? I mean, for how many years have we had rookies after rookies? And then the great Bob Gainey coached that team. So saying Martin was the best we had, doesn't mean he was great. It means....he was the best we had. So the team took a nosedive....well again with another rookie, and a rookie who might not be as good as some thought he was. And then strangely, Martin had all the excuses in the world as far as injuries are concerned, yet Cunneyworth could not have used the same excuses?

Don't get me wrong. Martin was not as awful as some things he is. But to maybe think that you'd even go as far as re-hiring him back? Or just saying that he would be one of the best coaches in the league? Don't think so. Yet, if I'M another team....I would be tempted to give him a shot. Martin deserves another shot WAY MORE than Gauthier should.....again though....that's not necessarily a great thing to say for Jacques....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:42 PM
MathMan

Do people think that guys like Hartley, Crawford, or Therrien are likely to do better (let alone significantly better) than Martin?

Especially given that Gauthier ripped up the roster this year, and it's an open question whether Bergevin and Dudley will be savvy enough to reconstruct it to the same talent level.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:51 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Do people think that guys like Hartley, Crawford, or Therrien are likely to do better (let alone significantly better) than Martin?

Especially given that Gauthier ripped up the roster this year, and it's an open question whether Bergevin and Dudley will be savvy enough to reconstruct it to the same talent level.
Are you talking about Cammy and AK ? No big losses there. Cole and MaxPac replaced them easily. With Markov and Gionta back in the line up and healthy, I don't see major problem. Add a good top-two winger and a solid d-man, and we,re in business.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Are you talking about Cammy and AK ? No big losses there. Cole and MaxPac replaced them easily. With Markov and Gionta back in the line up and healthy, I don't see major problem. Add a good top-two winger and a solid d-man, and we,re in business.
Having 5 legit top 6 wingers is a far preferable situation than 3.

Plus they don't have anyone who can replace Cammalleri's skill with the man advantage. They've conscripted Pacioretty into that role and he went from being one of the league's most dangerous net presences (last year) to a pale immitation of 13 on the half wall.

Without Kostitsyn's strong even strength play they don't have anyone to carry the offense on the third line to take advantage of weaker opponents.

Top six forwards are hard and expensive to replace.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Let's just say that the bar is pretty low...

Old
05-26-2012, 07:25 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post

I think you're trolling. Best at what?
...Coaching.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:41 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Are you talking about Cammy and AK ? No big losses there. Cole and MaxPac replaced them easily.
Then who did the jobs Cole and MaxPac used to do?

Or rather, since they actually actually didn't do Cammy and AK's job, who's going to play all the tough minutes with Plekanec? Gionta can, sure, but Bourque's shown that it's quite beyond him.

Seriously, I think that Cammy and AK are being unfairly maligned (especially Cammy!) and their contributions are seriously underestimated.

Quote:
Add a good top-two winger and a solid d-man, and we,re in business.
I don't disagree in principle, though I think we need two wingers. I just think you're grossly underestimating exactly how tough adding that will be. It's a good chance for the new FO to show their savvy, because the UFA market will be quite thin.

Old
05-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Did he do it the night before an afternoon playoffs' game?

Two wrongs don't make a right.
It's a Tournament game for team Canada. He's representing a country at that point, not just a team, but wtv I guess.

'' Radulov and Kostitsyn, according to recent sources, got back to the hotel by 1 AM and weren’t drunk. ''
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...ressing-rooms/

But as I mentioned many times, people love to dramatize things here, with very little facts.
So maybe, both those guys went out to a late night dinner, perhaps got a drink or two, maybe not even. They went back to hotel peacefully.
Translation: They were out partying till 4am, are classless, disrespectful, ungrateful and heartless.

Last edited by Kriss E: 05-26-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:25 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's a Tournament game for team Canada. He's representing a country at that point, not just a team, but wtv I guess.

'' Radulov and Kostitsyn, according to recent sources, got back to the hotel by 1 AM and weren’t drunk. ''
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...ressing-rooms/

But as I mentioned many times, people love to dramatize things here, with very little facts.
So maybe, both those guys went out to a late night dinner, perhaps got a drink or two, maybe not even. They went back to hotel peacefully.
Translation: They were out partying till 4am, are classless, disrespectful, ungrateful and heartless.
So Trotz and Polie suspended them for sweet nothing... ? You really think these two guys are dummies ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:29 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
So Trotz and Polie suspended them for sweet nothing... ? You really think these two guys are dummies ?
Sometimes smart people make dumb decisions.

Either way, what Getzlaf did is far worse than what AK46 and Radulov did. And nobody is saying "I don't want Getzlaf, he's going to be a cancer", etc.

There is so much anti-Russian BS in this league. As such, we should sign Russian players, as we'll get them cheap.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Of course. They never liked Kostitsyn and have an agenda against him. Can't you tell?

Old
05-26-2012, 09:30 PM
MathMan

Quote:
There is so much anti-Russian BS in this league. As such, we should sign Russian players, as we'll get them cheap.
And draft them. They'll fall in the rankings compared to where they should be.

Old
05-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Sometimes smart people make dumb decisions.

Either way, what Getzlaf did is far worse than what AK46 and Radulov did. And nobody is saying "I don't want Getzlaf, he's going to be a cancer", etc.

The bias is quite understandable and has some validity. On average, Russian players seemingly do care less than North American players. There is a lot of data to support this. Doesn't mean they're all like that.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:33 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
And draft them. They'll fall in the rankings compared to where they should be.
Any recent examples?

For my UFA comments, I'm mostly referring to Semin. His career stats are better than Parise's, yet Parise is considered the star of the 2012 UFA class and Semin is a player fans "don't want". Another example would be the fact we used to have Alex Kovalev far below his skill value merits: he was playing here for 4.5 million dollars.

Old
05-26-2012, 09:35 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The bias is quite understandable and has some validity. On average, Russian players seemingly do care less than North American players. There is a lot of data to support this. Doesn't mean they're all like that.
What data would that be?

They used to say that no team with a European captain had ever won the cup. Then Lidstrom won the cup. Then Malkin got the Conn Smythe. 2 years later Chara won the cup. This year Kopitar might win the cup.

It's mostly a lot of bull when it comes to "lazy Russians" or "lazy Europeans".

Old
05-26-2012, 09:38 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Any recent examples?
None specific, but there's certainly talks that Russians are getting underdrafted -- mind you it's a lot because of the KHL "flight risk".

Quote:
For my UFA comments, I'm mostly referring to Semin. His career stats are better than Parise's, yet Parise is considered the star of the 2012 UFA class and Semin is a player fans "don't want".
In fairness Parise is the more complete player, but I totally want to see the Habs go after Semin. He could do wonders on DD's wing as a soft-minutes exploitation scorer.

Old
05-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Martin is one of the best things that has happened to this team in years. The immediate nosedive we took right after his firing proves that. If he was around in 2008 we could have won the cup.
It proved nothing. Yes Martin is better than an unexperience coach. Big deal.

Best thing that happened to this team in years??

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
What data would that be?

They used to say that no team with a European captain had ever won the cup. Then Lidstrom won the cup. Then Malkin got the Conn Smythe. 2 years later Chara won the cup. This year Kopitar might win the cup.

It's mostly a lot of bull when it comes to "lazy Russians" or "lazy Europeans".
I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are lazy. But we can certainly discuss their lack of real interest of playing here. I mean the data suggset that since 2000, close to 30 players picked in the 2 first rounds have never played 1 single game in the NHL and prefered staying in Russia or went back in a hurry in Russia when they didn't have a guaranteed spot. Now, there might be cases in there of players that were just not good enough. But somehow, and that's pre and post KHL, most players don't care much about the NHL and have other options. So you'd think that they might bring this "but we have other options" attitude with them in games.

But I agree with you. This has to be analyse as an individual type of analysis. You can't put everybody in the same boat. At one point, we were ready to put Emelin in that boat and yet, he's almost an untouchable now. So you need to do your due diligence, you need to find out about their real interest of coming etc.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:53 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are lazy. But we can certainly discuss their lack of real interest of playing here. I mean the data suggset that since 2000, close to 30 players picked in the 2 first rounds have never played 1 single game in the NHL and prefered staying in Russia or went back in a hurry in Russia when they didn't have a guaranteed spot. Now, there might be cases in there of players that were just not good enough. But somehow, and that's pre and post KHL, most players don't care much about the NHL and have other options. So you'd think that they might bring this "but we have other options" attitude with them in games. .
For that statistic to be meaningful, you have to compare the fraction of Russian players who never played here to North American born players who never played here. And I'd pick a reasonable cutoff, 100 games of NHL experience, rather than 0. It's a difficult comparison.