HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Road to being a Champion...Why we all should have hope

Old
05-26-2012, 03:28 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

vCash: 500
The Road to being a Champion...Why we all should have hope

Distraught last night as everyone here and couldnt sleep until 4:30 AM...I thought about how painful it was losing to our rivals, but more so the fact that we were so close.
After the loss, we all started talking about how the team overachieved, how we are all young, we lacked a pure scoring threat, however we have built a great foundation to go on for a decade hopefully.

Still, I reflected this morning and it made me realize, the eventual road to being Champion is never easy (obviously). But sometimes you need that tough experience of going deep in the playoffs, being close and even feeling the emptiness when you are right there to understand why we all need to come back the next time around and onward by giving even more than 100% when it counts the most.

Recent history has shown the Lows & highs in road to becoming a champion. For some perspective...
Lets take a look back after the lockout, we start with the 2006 NHL Playoffs
Ducks lose as the favorite to the 8th seeded Oilers (4-1 series) at the WCF...Crushing defeat feeling for Selanne

But they come back in 2007 to win it all

As the story goes...In the 2007 NHL Playoffs, the best team in the West that season Detroit Red Wings lost to the Ducks in a tough one (4-2) at the WCF

However, they won it all in 2008 in stellar fashion against the young Croby led Penguins

Coincidentally, the Red Wings opponent again in 2009 was the bit more experienced Penguins, and they came back and found satisfaction in avenging their series loss with Marian Hossa finding himself on the wrong end back-to-back times

That season the young 2009 Blackhawks were on the wrong end of the Red Wings in the WCF (4-1)

But that off-season they made a surprising move in signing the recent two time SCF loser Marian Hossa who helped that 2010 season win the Cup with that young core against the Flyers

That 2010 NHL Playoffs had one of the most painful series losses for the Boston Bruins who lost 4 in a row to the Flyers in the 2nd round

In 2011, fate has it that the Bruins avenged their loss playing against the Flyers in the 2nd round with a honest sweep and going all the way to winning the cup last season

In 2011 NHL Playoffs a young Rangers team lost in the 1st round to the Capitals, in the 2012 NHL Playoffs this young Rangers team got a year older beat the Sens, avenged the Caps loss and went to the ECF only to lose to our rivals
(sorry for posting this )

The moral of all this is simple, each of these teams suffered emptiness, but fought back right away. Each of these winners built a strong foundation primarily around youth who learned and came back to win it all.
This makes me feel and hopefully some of you that there is hope.

In the 2013, the Rangers......

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 03:44 PM
rangers5000

i understand it, but man that defeat last night hurt

if we lost 6-2 it wouldn't hurt as much, but losing the way we did coming so close it hurts, all we needed was that 3rd goal and we probably ride hank to the win, hank wouldn't give up the lead

coming into this playoffs i felt we could make the east final but probably loss to either the pens or bruins, but with those teams knocked out and overcoming the caps i felt this was truly our year, it just felt like our window was here

last night tieing it up and having a great chance on sunday for a epic game 7, it felt like our time, sometimes you just feel it, the way it mapped out i truly believed even in overtime last night this could be our year

i think its better emotionally to loss early, atleast when we missed the playoffs i was not heartbroken it just sucked, coming this close really hurts, to the point where i don't even know why i cheer for this team in the first place

all the time, stress, money, to have it end like that especially where this was our year is just despressing

on top of that my brother moves away next year, this was the last chance our entire family had a chance to witness what we wanted, a ranger stanley cup, now even if they win it in 1-5 years i don't think it will be the same

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 03:48 PM
rangers5000

losing last year or previous years hurt, but not this much, they were expected to fail, i hoped they would win every year, but last year for example as much as it hurt i kind of knew we wouldn't win anyways

but this year was different, i just drowning my sorrows on here i guess

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 03:52 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

To look at it from both perspectives here's some historic examples;

The Islanders lost to the Leafs and the Rangers in 78 and 79 before their run, the Oilers had The Miracle at Manchester happen to them and also lost twice in the playoffs to the Islanders before they got there, Montreal lost in 84 to the Islanders in the ECF, Calgary took a decade of getting beat up by the Oilers and lost to Montreal in 1986 before 1989, and of course the 91-92 Rangers a team we all loved.

HOWEVER, some teams like the late 90s/early 2000s Sens, the Sharks in the early 2000s and recently, and Buffalo the first two years post lockout never got there.

It's up to the players ans management to ensure the Rangers make it back there.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:01 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
To look at it from both perspectives here's some historic examples;

The Islanders lost to the Leafs and the Rangers in 78 and 79 before their run, the Oilers had The Miracle at Manchester happen to them and also lost twice in the playoffs to the Islanders before they got there, Montreal lost in 84 to the Islanders in the ECF, Calgary took a decade of getting beat up by the Oilers and lost to Montreal in 1986 before 1989, and of course the 91-92 Rangers a team we all loved.

HOWEVER, some teams like the late 90s/early 2000s Sens, the Sharks in the early 2000s and recently, and Buffalo the first two years post lockout never got there.

It's up to the players ans management to ensure the Rangers make it back there.
Good post, I thought about those teams which is why I looked at it post 2004-05 lockout...Consider that things have changed since the lockout with cap and gamepaly. The parity is diverse and talent is everywhere.

The Sabres are the one team that I look at feel bad for, because they still could have continued success...But Drury and Briere (both in their late primes) left the club.
Sharks were known for collapsing with a team that was stacked with veterans and there was a period where Joe Thornton didnt show up at all for them in the playoffs.

Old
05-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Pizza

In the entire time I've been watching NHL hockey, I've not seen an eventual great team have some really tough defeats that they have to learn from.

That was the Rangers this year. I did not see them making it to the ECF at the beginning of this season.

My main two observations are:

You can't have one player who has less than one full NHL season and no NHL play off experience....and one player playing NHL hockey for the first time....being arguably your two most important players game to game.

The Rangers needed their best players to show. That did not happen. The Devils depth won the day.

This is a bitter....bitter pill. But it's best swallowed.

The Rangers have some big bright spots to build on but also some huge question marks that need addressing.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:56 PM
gravey9

The next two summers will be crucial for the management. We are two moves away from being elite or going the wrong way. We need two more gamebreakers on this team to become elite. How we get there in the salary cap era will be interesting. We need 1 forward and 1 offensive D-man.

The issue facing the team right now is there is only 1 kid other than Kreider who has a shot at making the team next year and that's Erixon (IF he fills out). Miller, Fogarty, Thomas, Bourque, St. Croix, Mcilrath, Fasth are all at least another year away from coming up, if ever. It might be a good time to move assets to make a run next season. Would edmonton move a young scoring forward for Dubinsky?

What I'd ultimately like to see is Parise brought in, the core youth signed. and then sign the schultz kid from wisconsin. find a veteran defenseman thru a mid-season trade or perhaps Sauer makes it back and is that guy we need. make a run with that squad. i'm not sure all that will work under the cap....but that's the idea.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Distraught last night as everyone here and couldnt sleep until 4:30 AM...I thought about how painful it was losing to our rivals, but more so the fact that we were so close.
After the loss, we all started talking about how the team overachieved, how we are all young, we lacked a pure scoring threat, however we have built a great foundation to go on for a decade hopefully.

Still, I reflected this morning and it made me realize, the eventual road to being Champion is never easy (obviously). But sometimes you need that tough experience of going deep in the playoffs, being close and even feeling the emptiness when you are right there to understand why we all need to come back the next time around and onward by giving even more than 100% when it counts the most.

Recent history has shown the Lows & highs in road to becoming a champion. For some perspective...
Lets take a look back after the lockout, we start with the 2006 NHL Playoffs
Ducks lose as the favorite to the 8th seeded Oilers (4-1 series) at the WCF...Crushing defeat feeling for Selanne

But they come back in 2007 to win it all

As the story goes...In the 2007 NHL Playoffs, the best team in the West that season Detroit Red Wings lost to the Ducks in a tough one (4-2) at the WCF

However, they won it all in 2008 in stellar fashion against the young Croby led Penguins

Coincidentally, the Red Wings opponent again in 2009 was the bit more experienced Penguins, and they came back and found satisfaction in avenging their series loss with Marian Hossa finding himself on the wrong end back-to-back times

That season the young 2009 Blackhawks were on the wrong end of the Red Wings in the WCF (4-1)

But that off-season they made a surprising move in signing the recent two time SCF loser Marian Hossa who helped that 2010 season win the Cup with that young core against the Flyers

That 2010 NHL Playoffs had one of the most painful series losses for the Boston Bruins who lost 4 in a row to the Flyers in the 2nd round

In 2011, fate has it that the Bruins avenged their loss playing against the Flyers in the 2nd round with a honest sweep and going all the way to winning the cup last season

In 2011 NHL Playoffs a young Rangers team lost in the 1st round to the Capitals, in the 2012 NHL Playoffs this young Rangers team got a year older beat the Sens, avenged the Caps loss and went to the ECF only to lose to our rivals
(sorry for posting this )

The moral of all this is simple, each of these teams suffered emptiness, but fought back right away. Each of these winners built a strong foundation primarily around youth who learned and came back to win it all.
This makes me feel and hopefully some of you that there is hope.

In the 2013, the Rangers......
The 2013 Rangers will be fighting for a 6/7/8 seed IF Savior doesn't get off his ass anf make some significant upgrades to a seriously flawed lineup choke full of playoff underachievers!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 06:40 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
The 2013 Rangers will be fighting for a 6/7/8 seed IF Savior doesn't get off his ass anf make some significant upgrades to a seriously flawed lineup choke full of playoff underachievers!

Really not much else to say. This is asinine.

05-26-2012, 06:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Yeah because finishing #1 in the Eastern Conference, winning the toughest division in hockey, and getting to game six of the Conference Finals is flawed!!!!!!!

Fire everyone!

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 06:57 PM
NYRangers16

This team is so young that getting this far is a huge achievement. Also, Kreider/Stepan/McD/MDZ will improve. And Staal won't miss half a season. And McD/Girardi hopefully won't be burned out before the finals. Torts was using 5 dmen most games and it hurt us. A lot of young players will be better, Dubi and Ani will gettheir scoring back and we'll have a full season from Kreider and Staal and all of this will make us better. This doesn't even include what we do with our cap room or any trades.

We are a team on the rise and as long as we keep moving forward we'll be in even better position next year.

Finding a PP that works and some secondary scoring are the big needs. We do that and we are an elite team. Hell we were 2nd in the NHL this year and made the east finals...we ARE an elite team. And we will only get better, so I am not nearly as depressed as everyone else. A lot of positives for this team going forward...

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 06:58 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yeah because finishing #1 in the Eastern Conference, winning the toughest division in hockey, and getting to game six of the Conference Finals is flawed!!!!!!!

Fire everyone!
People are just hurt and being dramatic. They have short memories.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

This team will continue to grow and improve.

Every summer brings tough decisions. But they are one of the youngest teams in the league and they will grow from this experience.

Kreider, Stepan, Del Zotto, McDonagh, Hagelin, Anisimov are 23 and under.

Staal is 24 (so is Bickel).

Dubinsky is 25.

Callahan is 26.

Girardi is 27.

Henrik and Richards are the old farts at 30 and 31.

Next year we will add more youth. With Erixon, McIlrath, Miller, Yogan, Thomas all guaranteed to be in camp fighting for a spot. And we may add Schultz.

This young team just won the Eastern Conference regular season, won the division, and got to the Conference Finals. Some of them in their first playoff experience. One of them never played an NHL regular season game.

The future is bright.

Old
05-26-2012, 07:51 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:

Every summer brings tough decisions. But they are one of the youngest teams in the league and they will grow from this experience.

Dubinsky is 25.

Callahan is 26.

Girardi is 27.

Next year we will add more youth. With Erixon, McIlrath, Miller, Yogan, Thomas all guaranteed to be in camp fighting for a spot. And we may add Schultz.

This young team just won the Eastern Conference regular season, won the division, and got to the Conference Finals. Some of them in their first playoff experience. One of them never played an NHL regular season game.

The future is bright.
its incredibly that our oldest d-man is 27...Some of the offensive players on this team are redundant...Maybe we can flip a Dubinsky for a shooter

Old
05-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Deathdealer

just remember, a young up and comming team lost to the rangers in the 79 EC finals befor winning 4 cups in a row

Deathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:06 PM
sickboy35

[QUOTE=SupersonicMonkey;50192729]This team will continue to grow and improve.

Dubinsky is 25.

Callahan is 26.

Girardi is 27.

The future is bright.[/QUOT
agreed, and if they can add Zach and defensive D-man and some grindersfor the 4th line I think we will def challenge for the cup again, Im sure they will be back Im disappointed but very excited for the future of the team, I really think another punishing D-man is in order, playing 5 D thoughout the playoffs is never a good thing.

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Pizza

I think Dubinsky still adds a ton to this team. Especially as a solid 3rd line left winger. Gaborik on the other hand.....

Very disappointed in the compete level he brought to the ice every night. Maybe he was injured the whole time, who knows? His stock has really dropped for me.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:50 PM
BlessThisMess513

Seeing all of those videos again, the last time the cup winner was home was in 07. I'd like to see L.A. win it at home. The roars of a crowd is one of the top 5 reasons an NHL game is so fun and exciting to watch.

BlessThisMess513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:56 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Wow, you're more negative than I am. While with the difficulty of this division they may be fighting for 6/7/8 and they are flawed, no doubt. What the hell does them being playoff underachievers has to do with their REGULAR SEASON seeding? Your logic is impeccable. Or did you just throw in the playoff underachiever bit to further insult the team, if the rest of your post wasn't insult enough? I've bashed this team plenty, but they're a young team that no one expected higher than a 6th seed or more than maybe if they're lucky a win of 1 round. They finished first and went to the ECF.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:58 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Wow, you're more negative than I am. While with the difficulty of this division they may be fighting for 6/7/8 and they are flawed, no doubt. What the hell does them being playoff underachievers has to do with their REGULAR SEASON seeding? Your logic is impeccable. Or did you just throw in the playoff underachiever bit to further insult the team, if the rest of your post wasn't insult enough? I've bashed this team plenty, but they're a young team that no one expected higher than a 6th seed or more than maybe if they're lucky a win of 1 round. They finished first and went to the ECF.
In the end of this season, we will be considered 3rd best team of the year.

No consolation, but for a young team like this...Maybe down the road we will reflect and say well, it was one more step forward towards a few elite years

Old
05-26-2012, 09:59 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess513 View Post
Seeing all of those videos again, the last time the cup winner was home was in 07. I'd like to see L.A. win it at home. The roars of a crowd is one of the top 5 reasons an NHL game is so fun and exciting to watch.
It's statistical anomalies but the last 4 years the road team won the cup. Before that the last 6 years it was the home team. There is no reason for it to happen that way but the last 10 years we had relatively large streaks in where the cup winning team won.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:50 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
It's statistical anomalies but the last 4 years the road team won the cup. Before that the last 6 years it was the home team. There is no reason for it to happen that way but the last 10 years we had relatively large streaks in where the cup winning team won.
I think the NHL has entered a new era...so the favorites we are accustomed to win it each year are not guaranteed

Old
05-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
You just never know. These threads all about the same topic are pointless, it could really be summed up like this:

We are building the right way, have alot of young players who should get better and progress and in theory we should be a cup contender for the near future, but the fact is you never know. We might not make the ECF for 15 years, you just never know when you'll get back and we shouldn't EXPECT it.

Its a long road back, but the peices are there.

Its also more upsetting because it really seemed like everything was falling into place in terms of the teams we had to face.

If you told me in December that it would be the DEVILS we had to get through in the ECF, I'd be freakin estatic. I loved the matchup then and loved it going in, I didn't think we'd lose to them.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:58 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

[QUOTE=sickboy35;50195737]
Quote:

Dubinsky is 25.

Callahan is 26.

Girardi is 27.

The future is bright.[/QUOT
agreed, and if they can add Zach and defensive D-man and some grindersfor the 4th line I think we will def challenge for the cup again, Im sure they will be back Im disappointed but very excited for the future of the team, I really think another punishing D-man is in order, playing 5 D thoughout the playoffs is never a good thing.
Im just going to mention, Gorton and Clark knew what they were doing when they walked up to the podium without hesitation and called out McIlrath's name.

That punishing defenseman. Thats McIlrath. That's why they selected him.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:02 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
You just never know. These threads all about the same topic are pointless, it could really be summed up like this:

We are building the right way, have alot of young players who should get better and progress and in theory we should be a cup contender for the near future, but the fact is you never know. We might not make the ECF for 15 years, you just never know when you'll get back and we shouldn't EXPECT it.

Its a long road back, but the peices are there.

Its also more upsetting because it really seemed like everything was falling into place in terms of the teams we had to face.

If you told me in December that it would be the DEVILS we had to get through in the ECF, I'd be freakin estatic. I loved the matchup then and loved it going in, I didn't think we'd lose to them.
I hated the matchup.

I hated the Senators matchup.

People forget how hard the Devils and Senators were to play against in the regular season.

I wanted Washington, Philly, and Boston.

On paper it looks tougher, but we match up against them a lot more favorably.