HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Road to being a Champion...Why we all should have hope

Old
05-26-2012, 11:05 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
I think the NHL has entered a new era...so the favorites we are accustomed to win it each year are not guaranteed
That's not what I meant, I should have made it more clear as I thought it might be misunderstood. What I meant was the winning team won at home from 01-07 and the winning team won on the road from 08-11. That's pretty much random IMO, so it's akin to getting red 6 times in a row on the roulette and then black 4 times in a row.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:20 PM
McMonster

agree with OP 1,000,000%... for this extremely young team to make it this far is a huge achievement but it sucks we had to lose to the Devils.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I hated the matchup.

I hated the Senators matchup.

People forget how hard the Devils and Senators were to play against in the regular season.

I wanted Washington, Philly, and Boston.

On paper it looks tougher, but we match up against them a lot more favorably.
I'm the oposite I guess cause I loved the Ottawa matchup. I just couldn't see a young Sens team in the playoffs for the first time as a group beating us, it just doesn't happen and it didn't. I thought we'd win in 5, though.

I didn't want Washington, at least not in the first round.. but the only team that really scared me was Pittsburgh.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:24 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I'm the oposite I guess cause I loved the Ottawa matchup. I just couldn't see a young Sens team in the playoffs for the first time as a group beating us, it just doesn't happen and it didn't. I thought we'd win in 5, though.

I didn't want Washington, at least not in the first round.. but the only team that really scared me was Pittsburgh.
I wanted no piece of Pittsburgh, either. Though, i felt they were really overachieving down the stretch.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:

I just couldn't see a young Rangers team in the playoffs for the first time going all the way
As a whole, the Rangers were the least experienced team in the playoffs

The most recent playoff success (getting past the second round) was Fedotenko 4 years ago, and he might have been our best player in the ECF

Other than that we have Rupp, Richards and Feds again, who did "their thing" almost a decade ago
Gaborik? went pretty far once. again, almost a decade ago
dubi, cally, girardi, staal etc. ? got to the second round twice on teams carried by Jagr and Lundqvist (and playing terrible teams in the first round)
mcdonagh, stepan, anisimov, boyle, prust? That pathetic excuse of a playoff team last year?
hagelin, stralman, kreider? first timers

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
I just couldn't see a young Rangers team in the playoffs for the first time going all the way
As a whole, the Rangers were the least experienced team in the playoffs

The most recent playoff success (getting past the second round) was Fedotenko 4 years ago, and he might have been our best player in the ECF

Other than that we have Rupp, Richards and Feds again, who did "their thing" almost a decade ago
Gaborik? went pretty far once. again, almost a decade ago
dubi, cally, girardi, staal etc. ? got to the second round twice on teams carried by Jagr and Lundqvist (and playing terrible teams in the first round)
mcdonagh, stepan, anisimov, boyle, prust? That pathetic excuse of a playoff team last year?
hagelin, stralman, kreider? first timers
Thats fair enough about the young team winning the cup, but it really is a lost oppurtunity.

It takes a bit of luck to get through two 7 game series.. It takes a bit of luck to be the best team in the league with the low-scoring style we play. I don't know, maybe luck isn't the word but things like that don't happen every year. We could improve our team and still not have as much success as we did this season, thats just how sports work.

The way we won Game 5 against Wash. Just alot of little things throughout the year that went right for us really made it feel like this was our chance.

With the style we play and avoiding the injury bug for the most part this past season.. just a couple of pucks in the wrong spot and guys could be on the shelf..

So many things could happen. God forbid we lose Lundqvist for a period of time next season. You just never know.

You can build up the team with great young players and prospects, and have a good core but a couple things go wrong and we lose in the first round next year.

One more point is that it will be interesting to see how this team handles some real expectations next season. Defending Eastern Conference champs in the regular season are gunna have the expectations to repeat, how do they play as a known top team?
That, or maybe we are the real deal and this time next year we're getting ready for the Cup Final.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:05 AM
rangers5000

it sucks any time we lose in the playoffs, but man the sting is still strong

last year sucked, the drury goal sucked, the fedorov goal sucked, and it stung but that was earlier in the playoffs and we probably would of not won anyways

but man i really believe this was our window, these windows don't open up often, i knew we were close this year, if the pens/bruins both somehow lost which they did i thought we had our window

thats why this loss stings so bad, we were 1 bounce or shot away from a game 7 at home which we probably would of won in front of a insane crowd, we were right there and came so close

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:18 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Thats fair enough about the young team winning the cup, but it really is a lost oppurtunity.

It takes a bit of luck to get through two 7 game series.. It takes a bit of luck to be the best team in the league with the low-scoring style we play. I don't know, maybe luck isn't the word but things like that don't happen every year. We could improve our team and still not have as much success as we did this season, thats just how sports work.

The way we won Game 5 against Wash. Just alot of little things throughout the year that went right for us really made it feel like this was our chance.

With the style we play and avoiding the injury bug for the most part this past season.. just a couple of pucks in the wrong spot and guys could be on the shelf..

So many things could happen. God forbid we lose Lundqvist for a period of time next season. You just never know.

You can build up the team with great young players and prospects, and have a good core but a couple things go wrong and we lose in the first round next year.

One more point is that it will be interesting to see how this team handles some real expectations next season. Defending Eastern Conference champs in the regular season are gunna have the expectations to repeat, how do they play as a known top team?
That, or maybe we are the real deal and this time next year we're getting ready for the Cup Final.
It is amazing...You know when they you need "a bit of luck" to go along with other things to win it all.

We got that luck at a pivotal time in that game 5...In game 5 and 6 we came back to tie the Devils, but lady luck gave the bounce the Devils way. Thats the point though...we all suffer through it, can this Rangers team be motivated and hungry enough to know they are now CONTENDERS and expected to win it all

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:32 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
In the entire time I've been watching NHL hockey, I've not seen an eventual great team have some really tough defeats that they have to learn from.

That was the Rangers this year. I did not see them making it to the ECF at the beginning of this season.

My main two observations are:

You can't have one player who has less than one full NHL season and no NHL play off experience....and one player playing NHL hockey for the first time....being arguably your two most important players game to game.

The Rangers needed their best players to show. That did not happen. The Devils depth won the day.

This is a bitter....bitter pill. But it's best swallowed.

The Rangers have some big bright spots to build on but also some huge question marks that need addressing.
good post, it simply is demonstrated on the PP, when guys you need to rely on for goals dont step it up and make plays, and after a full season of it, you realize it a lack of ability on not mental or what not they dont have it. So what next, move Del zotto hes still could bring a good return and try and pick up another offesnive d man, if not sign Stralman for another year and maybe that kid Erixon will step in next season. Fact is we have Richards and he is staying, Del zotto is to rough and doesent get it done.

Bright spots like you said, clearly Hagelin the kid came up early in the season and looked lost and than gets called up again and was the best thing for this team he played great all season and was a battler in the playoffs. Of course torts has to try and put Feds on the top line which i thought was a mistake but nonetheless we have a good player in him. Than Krieder who showed great fight in game 6 and in spurts all playoffs, who is a more natural talent than Hagelin and if he decides he wants to be star he will be the best forward on this team in no time at all. He has all the tools to be a power 40 goal scorer.

Than the D, Mcd wow what a game last night, he obviosuly stepped in this year and really followed up last season with a great one. Hes another gifted sized and strong player that can get points even though in the Playoffs they didnt come he was close on many occassions. And of course Staal recovering from the injury and showing that he is still a top Defensive D man in this league.

So yes question marks, i thought Gaborik wasent bad all season and playoffs, def better than previous seasons but its the story with him, when the games are tight checking he just has trouble performing because he doesent get to the dirty areas and grind enough. Hes better when the game goes his was with more open areas the Devils didnt give him that. Whether we should move him is still in the air, i think the PP needs to be better, i wouldint pin the PP blame on him. So if we can figure it out on the PP whether brining a guy in, moving DZ etc and get him more chances on the PP his dismall 5 on 5 play at times will more forgiven.

As hard as i am on Richards all season, its because i know he has the talent to do good things so when i dont see it i get upset, but with him, he showed what many people called Drury clutch, in the playoffs and i think he took the loss hard, so for him work on just moving the feet and getting his speed and strength up in the offseason. He has to realize the game is getting faster and he must adapt as he gets older, he owes to the club. I think he will and i hope he comes out for comfortable next season and sharp.

Other than that good season Hank deserves some time off and be back next year. Who knows we may be lucky enough to get a couple more rookies making huge impacts next season.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:10 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Interesting thought:

If we finished 6th and the devils finished 1st, I don't see them getting past the caps and maybe not even the senators. They needed OT in game 7 to beat Florida. (not that we didn't have our own struggles in the first and second rounds).

If we played the Panthers and flyers before playing the devils (or wash or ott) in the conference finals, I think we'd be heading to NY to host LA on Wednesday. This is one reason the division winners automatically getting the top 3 spots is silly. Top 8 teams from each conference should be 1-8 in the order of points.

Also shows how much luck goes into winning a cup, and how ta few bounces here or there make all the difference when every team is so evenly matched.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:10 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

This year became a sneak preview to the next three seasons - most of us predicted us to be Cup contenders. Instead of three, we get four. I look at it that way. The boys got two great Game 7 experiences and ECF experience. Awesome. It'll help for such a young team. They're ahead of schedule.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:48 AM
jmb9191

Just saying...guy who posted the goal...big jerk. Not cool, too soon, kinda like a Cory lidle joke

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:30 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Distraught last night as everyone here and couldnt sleep until 4:30 AM..
Thats insane!!! Laughable!! Pathetic !!!!!! and every thing else ridiculous.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Crease

"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors."

Enjoy your summer boys and girls. See everyone for the draft.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:50 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
Thats insane!!! Laughable!! Pathetic !!!!!! and every thing else ridiculous.
you realize that it was a friday night too?

factoid of the day

"#WinterClassic curse or omen? PIT in 08 WC, won Cup in 09. CHI 09 WC, won Cup in 2010. BOS 2010 WC, won Cup in 2011. #NYR 2012 WC, 2013 Cup?"

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote