HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal V

Old
05-26-2012, 08:57 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
I dont understand why there is no point in trading him for fair value if it gets the pens a winger to play with Crosby. What is better, having Staal this year and possibly losing him for nothing, or trade him for fair value to get a winger to play with Crosby?

Unless Shero thinks its a good idea to sign Staal to the big money I assume he is going to want to be a 3rd line center. Its all about managing your assets. Not every trade does one team have to get a complete overpayment. We are not talking about a top 20 forward here.
It's my opinion that that will not be possible. Staal will either be re-signed this summer or traded. I don't see him playing our his current deal with us.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
It's my opinion that that will not be possible. Staal will either be re-signed this summer or traded.
Those are the smart options... however according to some fans it would be better to let him walk vs accepting anything less than an overpayment.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
God I hope Shero can get something fro Staal. Anything.

bad return >>>>>> losing Staal for free to Carolina
You keep acting like people are saying you should take scraps for Staal. Absolutely no one has said that or suggested that. In fact, the exact opposite has been proposed and stated. Over and over again. Seriously, I'm not sure how many times that has to be repeated (heck, in this topic alone, it's been at least twice) to get that through. Just because you consider the valuable pieces that are being offered as "bad return" doesn't make them so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Those are the smart options... however according to some fans it would be better to let him walk vs accepting anything less than an overpayment.
Bingo.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:48 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I mean, check the text under my avatar. I want that sum***** with us for his entire career. He's an absolute playoff stud and is just coming into his own offensively.

But even I realize that there comes a point where if Staal says "I'm only going to re-sign for 6.5M" that you have to move him. Shero will find that out this summer and will move him if he has to.

He's not going to waste time negotiating during the year. He's going to find out what he wants, check out the new CBA (which may cause some delay), and then either move him or re-sign him based off of that. All this summer.

And that, my friends, is why GMs get paid the big bucks.

Old
05-26-2012, 09:54 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
I mean, check the text under my avatar. I want that sum***** with us for his entire career. He's an absolute playoff stud and is just coming into his own offensively.

But even I realize that there comes a point where if Staal says "I'm only going to re-sign for 6.5M" that you have to move him. Shero will find that out this summer and will move him if he has to.

He's not going to waste time negotiating during the year. He's going to find out what he wants, check out the new CBA (which may cause some delay), and then either move him or re-sign him based off of that. All this summer.

And that, my friends, is why GMs get paid the big bucks.
I think that would be the smart thing for Shero to do but what if the only thing he can get is just fair value and not overpayment. Say for example from a Blues POV they offer Oshie or Perron and a 1st and that is the best offer Shero gets. It is what I would consider to be fair value however not the overpayment some Pens fans say they have to get. Do you pull the trigger on that deal?

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:55 PM
superhenderson13

to me, trading Staal is the needed thing.

Think back to TB when they had Marty, Vinny, and Richards.
now, they are a little different considering one played wing and the others played center. but in essence, this is a similar situation. TB had to decide, do they keep all 3 and not have the money to build around them? or do they deal one and have the money available?

we learned this playoffs that no team can win with 2-4 guys. you need a total team effort and a deep and balanced team. the penguins don't have that. they have a few holes like at defense and at RW. trading staal could give them a chance to fill those holes. it's much easier to replace a 3rd line center than the holes the penguins have.

ill be the first to admit it, i wasnt the biggest staal fan, but he really left a good impression on me this season but he needs to be traded.

penguins could get a nice return but if Shero lets he walk for nothing, that is just poor managing. you can't let him walk for nothing.

superhenderson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:57 PM
superhenderson13

Quote:
I think that would be the smart thing for Shero to do but what if the only thing he can get is just fair value and not overpayment. Say for example from a Blues POV they offer Oshie or Perron and a 1st and that is the best offer Shero gets. It is what I would consider to be fair value however not the overpayment some Pens fans say they have to get. Do you pull the trigger on that deal?
in a heart beat. i would want Oshie more than Perron and maybe Cole instead of the 1st, but i would take that.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:04 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
I hear what you're saying and you make a good point. If it's even value for Staal do you move him? For the record, I don't want to move Staal if we don't have to. If Shero decides he does, the Oshie and a 1st would work for me.

You only do an "even" trade if you know that he's not re-signing. And I fully expect that Shero will know one way or another what Staal plans on doing before he makes a move.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:07 PM
WarriorofTime

Fun fact,

Dave Bolland has more points in the playoffs (37) than Staal (36). Staal's played in 73 games, Bolland's played in 49.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Say for example from a Blues POV they offer Oshie or Perron and a 1st and that is the best offer Shero gets. It is what I would consider to be fair value however not the overpayment some Pens fans say they have to get. Do you pull the trigger on that deal?
If Staal wants too much or flat out says he won't sign, then yes absolutely.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:10 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Fun fact,

Dave Bolland has more points in the playoffs (37) than Staal (36). Staal's played in 73 games, Bolland's played in 49.
And Bolland stinks and Staal is good. Watch a game.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:19 PM
superhenderson13

Quote:
im a penguins fan but come on... lets be serious.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:20 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Did Bolland stink in the 2009 2010 and 2011 playoffs? Did you watch those games or were you only watching Pittsburgh?

Old
05-26-2012, 10:27 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Did Bolland stink in the 2009 2010 and 2011 playoffs? Did you watch those games or were you only watching Pittsburgh?
I watch every game, my friend. The only reason to point out that Bolland has a better PPG in the playoffs is to state that he's a better player. He is, in fact, not a better player. And it's not even close.

Don't list stupid stats that I'm not even going to look up. Just watch the games. Is Dave Bolland better than Staal? Then why mention the points?

Old
05-26-2012, 10:29 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
I watch every game, my friend. The only reason to point out that Bolland has a better PPG in the playoffs is to state that he's a better player. He is, in fact, not a better player. And it's not even close.
Never said that. Just showing that Bolland is a lot better than some Pittsburgh fans give him credit for. You said "Bolland stinks".

Old
05-26-2012, 10:32 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Never said that. Just showing that Bolland is a lot better than some Pittsburgh fans give him credit for. You said "Bolland stinks".
True. Definitely don't think he "stinks." Didn't mean it literally.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
You keep acting like people are saying you should take scraps for Staal. Absolutely no one has said that or suggested that. In fact, the exact opposite has been proposed and stated. Over and over again. Seriously, I'm not sure how many times that has to be repeated (heck, in this topic alone, it's been at least twice) to get that through. Just because you consider the valuable pieces that are being offered as "bad return" doesn't make them so.
You've been saying that, in so many words, for 5 threads now.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:44 PM
DougGilmour93

Trade Proposal

To Pittsburgh:
Nikolai Kulemin
Korbian Holzer
5th overall

To Toronto:
Jordan Staal
Eric Tangradi
22nd overall

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:45 PM
superhenderson13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Trade Proposal

To Pittsburgh:
Nikolai Kulemin
Korbian Holzer
5th overall

To Toronto:
Jordan Staal
Eric Tangradi
18th overall
interesting offer. but we would get more value from another team. you need to take out the 18th and tangradi for it to have a chance.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:45 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Trade Proposal

To Pittsburgh:
Nikolai Kulemin
Korbian Holzer
5th overall

To Toronto:
Jordan Staal
Eric Tangradi
22nd overall
I wouldn't trade Staal alone for that package. Remember: we don't HAVE to trade him. And you're competing against 28 other teams.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Trade Proposal

To Pittsburgh:
Nikolai Kulemin
Korbian Holzer
5th overall

To Toronto:
Jordan Staal
Eric Tangradi
22nd overall
Honestly why even propose this? There have been MANY better proposals TOR for Staal alone, but for some reason everyone's gonna forget those (and from other teams) and agree to this terrible deal?

If TOR want's Staal it's 5th + Kuni +, and the Pens aren't adding.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:51 PM
blankall

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Staal alone for that package. Remember: we don't HAVE to trade him. And you're competing against 28 other teams.
You are getting the fifth overall back. So value isn't as far off as you say. However, the Pens are much better of trading Stall for an equivalent winger or defensemen who can help now.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:54 PM
DougGilmour93

Staal is being over valued here by quite a bit IMO

Staal is not worth more, or equivilent to M.Richards or J.Carter.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:55 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You are getting the fifth overall back. So value isn't as far off as you say. However, the Pens are much better of trading Stall for an equivalent winger or defensemen who can help now.
5th overall means nothing to me. It doesn't help us this year. But yes, we are better off - if we're moving Staal - trading him for a big-time defenseman or top-6 winger. Any suggestions?

Old
05-26-2012, 10:56 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Staal is being over valued here by quite a bit IMO.
I know that I definitely overvalue him. I admit it. I'm interested in knowing what you think his value is. And I'm not being a dick. I want to see where people who don't think he's a future stud place him.