Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Willie Mitchell hurt ... feelings.

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2006, 11:21 AM
ZombieMatt

vCash: 500
Maybe if the organization hadn't tried to negotiate in public, Mitchell would have been less unhappy about the situation. It was an unusually cheap and classless act by the organization. If you don't like what a players' agent has offered, you don't go into the public and talk about the details of the contract negotiations.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Chrisd

they said he turned down 3.5 after he was already in dallas...not b4 they dealt him.

and anyways, he's willie mitchell, we got more then fair return for him, and theres what 20+ better UFA D men then him anyways.

No need to fret over him..

Old
03-28-2006, 11:40 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis
Maybe if the organization hadn't tried to negotiate in public, Mitchell would have been less unhappy about the situation. It was an unusually cheap and classless act by the organization. If you don't like what a players' agent has offered, you don't go into the public and talk about the details of the contract negotiations.
As Chrisd said, it was after the fact. At that point, I think the team owes the fans and paying customers an explanation. If the player doesn't like it, I'm sorry but that's just tough.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:49 AM
ZombieMatt

The organization also has a responsibility to conduct itself in a professional manner when dealing with the contracts of its employees. Stunts such as this are not going to encourage other players that the team is a desirable employer. When they decided to do this is irrelevant and doesn't change the fact that it likely is a major contributing factor to Mitchell's disappointment with the organization.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:14 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

We did this with Gaborik....

Old
03-28-2006, 01:18 PM
ceber

Quote:
The organization also has a responsibility to conduct itself in a professional manner when dealing with the contracts of its employees. Stunts such as this are not going to encourage other players that the team is a desirable employer. When they decided to do this is irrelevant and doesn't change the fact that it likely is a major contributing factor to Mitchell's disappointment with the organization.
I think that's a pretty heavy overreaction. How often do we hear about contract numbers? All the time. This is really mild. Negotiations never even got ugly here. If there's anything that Willie's got a gripe about it's probably the Lemaire quote about going for the money.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:22 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
We did this with Gaborik....
Actually, Gaborik's ex-agents started the media stuff. This team seems to be generally very tight-lipped about contract negotiations. Usually we don't know what's going on, to the point of causing all sorts of bizarre speculation by fans and media alike.

Old
03-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Dan-o

Quote:

I can totally understand where you're coming from, but I do sympathize with the Wild management a little too. They've been labeled the cheapest organization in sports for half a decade. And I guarantee that 90% of the Minnesota public would have assumed we went cheap again. If I was Bob Neagle, I'd probably want to avoid that slam again, especially if it wasn't true. Which it wasn't. Doesn't make their announcement appropriate, but it does make it understandable IMO. Willie was a very popular player and Wild fans would have jumped down the organization's throat if it didn't have a good reason to let him go.

Closed Thread