HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto's goaltending situation

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2012, 11:38 PM
wreckingcru

vCash: 500
Toronto's goaltending situation

Hi everyone,

I keep on hearing Luongo, Luongo and more Luongo. As much as I think he is good, if TO have to give up more than a salary dump (Komisarek, Lombardi, etc) and a late pick for him, I say no way. Why doesn't TO trade for Jonathan Bernier? Unproven, maybe, but he is worth the shot. We need somebody that will help our goaltending for a decade. Someone like Carey Price. Either draft Subban, Dansk, or Vasilevski at 35th, or we trade for a young guy. Another idea that could happen if we draft one of the three goalies previously mentioned, is that we could trade for Halak or Elliott. Imagine what is happening over there with two all-star calibre players. Think of the situation of Price and Halak. One of Elliott or Halak will for sure be moved over the summer, and I hope the Leafs end up picking either Halak to start for the next few years, or Elliott who would be cheaper to mentor Reimer. Another option is to sign Vokoun, which would be cheap and would help. However I heard rumors that he might head over to the KHL. What do you think? Comment!

UPDATE: VOKOUN HAS BEEN TRADED AND SIGNED IN - 2 years, 4 million.

Last edited by wreckingcru: 06-04-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old
05-26-2012, 11:42 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Descriptive thread titles make the forums much easier to browse, so I changed yours FYI.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:42 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

What are you talking about? I think you're way off if you believe anyone wants Komisarek.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Luongo is worth more than that, Bernier will be expensive to acquire and has yet to achieve much in the NHL, and Eliott/Halak won't be moved either, since they are the kind of tandem the Blues need.

Drafting and developing a goalie is a good plan, but there will be a long time before a goalie drafted this year should make an NHL appearance.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:47 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Get rid of your goalie coach and let Gustavsson do his thing. Problem solved.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:49 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Goalies take forever to develop; high rated goalie prospects aren't like high rated forward prospects. They can't just step into the NHL the next year and produce, so that's not really going to help our situation. Komisarek and a late pick for Luongo is a joke; Leafs fans need to realize he's a top 10 goalie in the league, only 33, that his cap hit is manageable, and he is NOT a cap dump. The sooner we can all accept that, the better. James Reimer has put up better numbers in more games played than Bernier, so I fail to see how that's much of an upgrade.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:50 PM
DPyro

Vokoun is the obvious choice.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Stats01

Darren Dreger was on TSN Radio earlier this week and said that if you gave Vancouver a 2nd round pick and a salary dump he specifically named Lombardi, then the deal could be made. If I'm Burke I'm all over that.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
- Bernier is quite unproven and would cost too much to be worth getting (if you look at numbers, Reimer (career in NHL) is similar on arguably a much worse defensive team)
- If Elliot was good, Ottawa would have kept him, they didn't want him so traded to Colorado. Surely since he is so good Colorado would keep him, nope, didn't resign him. Two teams made a mistake clearly since he is amazing, of course in the offseason he will sign for MILLIONS! Nope, got 0.6m in the offseason. But now that he played amazing, of course his next contract will be massive! Nope, 1.8m. His numbers are vastly inflated by the defensive team in front of him and he knows it or else he would go to UFA to get more money.
- Personally I doubt St Louis moves Halak, it's Elliot or they keep both.
- Drafting one of those 3 is no guarantee. Leafs have some goalie prospects who could work out just as good. Scrivens has put up great numbers, couple others in the system who are maybes. As I said earlier, Reimer career wise in the NHL has similar numbers to Bernier, so why go after Bernier? Sophmore slump maybe? All I know is Reimer got injured early on but before that looked pretty good.
- Luongo although on that contract, likely would have got the leafs in the playoffs last year. I am willing to give up some assets for him, although I would rather go after Kipper/Thomas if available to mentor a future starting goalie instead.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Get rid of your goalie coach and let Gustavsson do his thing. Problem solved.
As unconventional and borderline ridiculous as that sounds, there had been times when I've watched Gustavsson play and had thought the exact same thing. Gustavsson is the most effective when he's allowed to do w/e the hell he wants in terms of flopping around and making those crazy athletic saves while Allaire's system is more of a structured, positioning thing. I actually think the next team that gives Gus a chance to rein free will be getting themselves quite a talented young goalie.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeLoBlue View Post
As unconventional and borderline ridiculous as that sounds, there had been times when I've watched Gustavsson play and had thought the exact same thing. Gustavsson is the most effective when he's allowed to do w/e the hell he wants in terms of flopping around and making those crazy athletic saves while Allaire's system is more of a structured, positioning thing. I actually think the next team that gives Gus a chance to rein free will be getting themselves quite a talented young goalie.
I said it before and I will say it now. I believe Gus will play in the NHL at some point next season. With the way he is talked about you think he would have trouble making AHL farm teams.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:08 AM
McTank

Why do you guys think bernier would cost a lot? A 2nd+prospect would probably get him, I cant see his value much higher than bishops. Also would leaf fans be interested in enroth?

Old
05-27-2012, 12:10 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Darren Dreger was on TSN Radio earlier this week and said that if you gave Vancouver a 2nd round pick and a salary dump he specifically named Lombardi, then the deal could be made. If I'm Burke I'm all over that.
Dreger is an idiot.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Well, if you're going to offer Komi (cap dump) and a 2nd (pretty useless), you're not going to get anyone.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Why do you guys think bernier would cost a lot? A 2nd+prospect would probably get him, I cant see his value much higher than bishops. Also would leaf fans be interested in enroth?
Bernier to me is the most overhyped/valued player on here and in the media. Everyone is always saying he will be a star goalie and would cost a lot to pry out of LA.

Enroth seems okay (can't say I recall ever seeing him play) by looking at his numbers. But the leafs management seems to be wanting a vet goalie next year instead of have 2 inexperienced goalies. If we get Enroth, Burke would probably still want to get a vet goalie so ultimately getting Enroth still doesn't solve our problems. Thanks for the offer, but just don't see it working.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:24 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeLoBlue View Post
He's an athletic goalie, not a structure goalie. Coaching is not something he needs outside of staying fit and conditioned.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:39 AM
FAMOUSfin

lol Gillis wouldn't take Komisarek+late pick for free.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:43 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
I would be very interested in Enroth. But I think he'd cost something more than what the Leafs would be interested in paying due to the simple fact of division rival.

Vancouver fans are going to be in for the shocking of a lifetime when Luongo returns next to nothing. Canucks management is going to value some cap space more than they will a big return. The space is value in itself.

For the Leafs, a veteran goalie I would like would be a Hedberg or as more of a shocker, Backstrom. Two solid goalies with good experience.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:44 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOUSfin View Post
lol Gillis wouldn't take Komisarek+late pick for free.
Thats actually true too negative value player

Old
05-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
It might be a surprise to you but value is relative, and if lots of people think he is worth something, perhaps that drives his value up? IIRC, Bernier was considered to be a better prospect than Quick. Many people far removed from the actual LA situation will look back at this hype and assign him a higher value than they would if he were just a late round pick.

Everyone on HF could be wildly wrong about his worth, but if the Kings are high on him, it only takes one other team to give Bernier a high value in a trade.

Old
05-27-2012, 01:03 AM
RogerRoeper*

The Leafs have so many solid goalie prospects, do you really want to give up a lot to get Bernier?

Sign Vokoun for free. Done.

Old
05-27-2012, 01:10 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I hope the Leafs sign Hasek

Old
05-27-2012, 01:18 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I hope the Leafs sign Hasek

Old
05-27-2012, 01:22 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingcru View Post
Hi everyone,
I keep on hearing Luongo, Luongo and more Luongo. As much as I think he is good, if TO have to give up more than Komisarek and a late pick for him, I say no way. Why doesn't TO trade for Jonathan Bernier? Unproven, maybe, but he is worth the shot. We need somebody that will help our goaltending for a decade. Someone like Carey Price. Either the Leafs draft Subban, Dansk, or Vasilevski at 35th, or we trade for a young guy.
Justin Pogge, Jonas Gustavsson, J.S. Aubin, Andrew Raycroft...these were a few goaltenders in your system that were young and had great track record previously in their career except they lacked the consistency and calm demeanor of a veteran.

The point is...how long are you going to gamble on the young goaltenders before you realize that you need an actual star?

Quote:
Another idea that could happen if we draft one of the three goalies previously mentioned, is that we could trade for Halak or Elliott. Imagine what is happening over there with two all-star calibre players. Think of the situation of Price and Halak. One of Elliott or Halak will for sure be moved over the summer, and I hope the Leafs end up picking either Halak to start for the next few years, or Elliott who would be cheaper to mentor Reimer. What do you think? Comment!
Are you serious...? The Blues have a bunch of cap space and are in no rush to give away their top goaltenders especially for an unproven prospect (doesn't matter how good they've played in juniors). Besides both Halak's and Elliott's contracts expire in the same year, so that gives Blues' management a chance to look at who's more talented before going all in.

Old
05-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Another idea that could happen if we draft one of the three goalies previously mentioned, is that we could trade for Halak or Elliott. Imagine what is happening over there with two all-star calibre players. Think of the situation of Price and Halak. One of Elliott or Halak will for sure be moved over the summer, and I hope the Leafs end up picking either Halak to start for the next few years, or Elliott who would be cheaper to mentor Reimer. What do you think? Comment!
This is my favorite, one will for sure be moved over the summer.

Closed Thread