Notices

2012-2013 Roster

Old
05-21-2012, 03:41 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

vCash: 500
2012-2013 Roster

So I've been reading a few articles today about free agency and prospects, and it got me thinking. Which prospects have the possibility of making a big push for the big club at training camp. Assuming they don't get their coveted top 6 forward that they really need via trade/UFA. This is what got me thinking:

LOUI ERIKSSON – JAMIE BENN (RFA) – ALEX CHIASSON
UFA – MIKE RIBEIRO – MICHAEL RYDER
BRENDEN MORROW – STEVE OTT – ADAM BURISH (UFA)
ERIC NYSTROM – VERNON FIDDLER- SCOTT GLENNIE
REILLY SMITH

UFA – ALEX GOLIGOSKI
PHILIP LARSEN – TREVOR DALEY
STEPHAN ROBIDAS – BRENDEN DILLON
MARK FISTRIC (RFA)

http://www.anguscertified.com/tom-ga...-dallas-stars/

Rather than putting thought on the players who were already here, and if they'll be here much longer (Morrow, Ott, Burish), I'm more focused on the ones who could make a push and make it. (i.e. Chiasson and Glennie)

Thoughts?

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

I think its more likely that Ryder and Ribiero get a prospect on their wing, that line will either be all offensive zone starts or keep Eriksson there to stabilize when they lose the puck.

I expect one rookie forward to make the team, while the others play big roles in the AHL. Best case scenario for me is Fraser makes the team while the others learn the pro game. Much better for Vincour to play 4-8 a night in the NHL and Glennie/Chiasson 15-18 in the minors this season.

Finally, I think R Smith is the closest of the guys who came out of the NCAA to being in Dallas next season, although again I would rather he play top 6 minutes in Austin than 4th line minutes in Dallas.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

I highly doubt they're going to promote four rookies next year.

??? - Benn - Eriksson
??? - Ribeiro - Ryder
Nystrom - Fiddler - Garbutt
Vincour - Wandell - Sceviour

Goligoski - ???
Fistric - Larsen
Dillon - Daley

Kari/Bachs

Ott, Burish, Dowell, Souray can go **** themselves. Dvorak, Robidas, and Morrow need to gtfo too.

???s are just massive holes that can't be filled internally.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:05 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I'll rank prospects by likelihood in my mind of making the team:

1) Sceviour
2) Dillon
3) Fraser
4) Nemeth
5) R. Smith
6) Chiasson
7) Glennie

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Captain Awesome

I'd personally bump up Glennie to 5th, if he had a killer camp I'd think they'd consider him over the other two seeing as how he's been in the system longer. I think Sceviour is probably in, and Dillon was impressive in his game up, Fraser could make it but seems to me like a long shot. They'll want him to round out his game defensively and make him work on his skating. Everyone else is a huge longshot at best. I think the guy most likely to make a legitimate impact at this level is Dillon, I don't think it's going to be a big year for rookies.

IMO, there are no James Neals or Jamie Benns in this crop to blow us away. Philip Larsen might make the biggest leap forward on this team next year out of any player on it, but he's not quite a rookie.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

UFA/Trade-Benn-Eriksson
Fraser-Ribeiro-Ryder
Ott-Fiddler-Nystrom
Vincour-Sceviour-Garbutt
Wandell

Robidas-Goligoski
Larsen-Fistric
Daley-Dillon
Pardy

Lehtonen
Bachman

That's not a playoff unless the top six finds some amazing chemistry but that's what I predict. They'll fail, though not for lack of trying, to really upgrade the defense which is where they'll be let down once again.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:19 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
UFA/Trade-Benn-Eriksson
Fraser-Ribeiro-Ryder
Ott-Fiddler-Nystrom
Vincour-Sceviour-Garbutt
Wandell

Robidas-Goligoski
Larsen-Fistric
Daley-Dillon
Pardy

Lehtonen
Bachman

That's not a playoff unless the top six finds some amazing chemistry but that's what I predict. They'll fail, though not for lack of trying, to really upgrade the defense which is where they'll be let down once again.
I'd assume, though, that they would find a top 6 via trade since you have Morrow traded?

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I don't think Morrow returns a top six player unless it's a guy that's blocked say one of Philly's young wingers or Boston with Spooner. I think they'll have to take a pick or prospect a little further away or may try to shore up the defense.

Either way I figured one of the three were gone and just can't contemplate having to watch Morrow spare us again in the top six. He is both the easiest and hardest player to trade but under the right circumstances I can see him gone.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:46 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I think we have to wait until mid-July before we can really predict. The only thing we really know right now is that Ott will be back in a bottom 6 role.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:55 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I'll wait until after July 1st.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I think we have to wait until mid-July before we can really predict. The only thing we really know right now is that Ott will be back in a bottom 6 role.
I don't know this. First it assumes they bring in two top six players. Second do you really think they'll "demote" Ott, selling him on this role rather than trade him? If you're Ott are you happy in a bottom six role on a bubble team or would you want to be traded at that point?

Without two clearly better players that could be a difficult sale in the room. If one of the kids takes a spot that could also be an issue. I don't want to say it's this is 100% likely to happen or that Ott would be unprofessional but pride is hard to swallow at times.

Old
05-27-2012, 01:54 AM
thrillhous

Forgive me, but I'm an outsider looking in... Do you all really think that Morrow has nothing left to give? Going in to last season he looked ready to put up another 25/25 season (at least) and I understand he had a bad season but was it really that bad that you all want him gone?

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:58 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Forgive me, but I'm an outsider looking in... Do you all really think that Morrow has nothing left to give? Going in to last season he looked ready to put up another 25/25 season (at least) and I understand he had a bad season but was it really that bad that you all want him gone?
It's not that he can't produce anymore, it's just that he's part of the leadership group that needs to go. He's not a good captain at all anymore, and I'd rather have a prospect fill his spot on the roster than keep him.

Old
05-27-2012, 08:13 AM
BigG44

I'll disagree with Latvian ... I don't believe he can produce anymore. The leadership issue is minor, and I think I'll add to the "if the PP was just a little better, Dallas would have made the playoffs" claim. If Morrow hadn't succumbed to a long term injury, Dallas' Top 6 would have been balanced and they probably would have made the playoffs. Hell ... their PP probably would have been just a little better too. Instead, they ended up with 1 line (a great line ... but that's not good enough) and 1 guy with inferior linemates.

I'm probably going to mess the exact timeline up, but Morrow claimed he started getting shots for a neck/back injury before the Olympics. He said the first shot helped him play for a year or two, and each subsequent shot has been less and less effective.

Off-season surgery to correct the issue seemed imminent. Instead the latest news was he's doing some different strength exercises to build up his core among other things to stabilize the injury.

I'm an optimistic guy most times, but you've got an injury several years in the making that is now resistant to pain injections. You'd think, with all the money they invest in these players and the experts they surround them with, they would have come up with this miracle exercise routine a long time ago if that was all he needed.

It sucks, but I just won't believe he can be play again until I see him on the ice.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

I think he might have a 20/20 season if he plays 60 games (big IF), but the injuries and the need for new leadership makes his value pretty low for Dallas.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:39 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I'll disagree with Latvian ... I don't believe he can produce anymore. The leadership issue is minor, and I think I'll add to the "if the PP was just a little better, Dallas would have made the playoffs" claim. If Morrow hadn't succumbed to a long term injury, Dallas' Top 6 would have been balanced and they probably would have made the playoffs. Hell ... their PP probably would have been just a little better too. Instead, they ended up with 1 line (a great line ... but that's not good enough) and 1 guy with inferior linemates.

I'm probably going to mess the exact timeline up, but Morrow claimed he started getting shots for a neck/back injury before the Olympics. He said the first shot helped him play for a year or two, and each subsequent shot has been less and less effective.

Off-season surgery to correct the issue seemed imminent. Instead the latest news was he's doing some different strength exercises to build up his core among other things to stabilize the injury.

I'm an optimistic guy most times, but you've got an injury several years in the making that is now resistant to pain injections. You'd think, with all the money they invest in these players and the experts they surround them with, they would have come up with this miracle exercise routine a long time ago if that was all he needed.

It sucks, but I just won't believe he can be play again until I see him on the ice.
We saw a bit of the old Morrow in a couple games towards the end of the season, and I think as long as he can at least partially recover, he'll be good for 20-20 as Misty said.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:07 PM
BigG44

Again ... I'd love for it to happen, but the old-Morrow never showed up.

In the final 14 games returning from injury, he scored 3 goals and had 1 assist. They barely even limited his ice time btw. He had a handful of games with 10 to 12 minutes, but for the most part he was playing 15 to 18 minutes. He was actually more effective playing through the issue early than he was returning from rest, and he was not good before taking time off.

I wish the guy the best, but he's on the wrong side of 30. I hope he does it though if he's staying on Dallas' roster.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:46 PM
thrillhous

Thanks for the insight everyone. Hadn't heard about the injections, etc. I'm guessing that his trade value is not as high as many seem to think (referring to fans of other teams). It'll be interesting to see if his name starts to pop up in trade rumours. I'm sure there will be a market.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:17 AM
Bruise Bros 2426

What will happen with Eric Godard? Isn't the second year of his Dallas contract a one-way?

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
What will happen with Eric Godard? Isn't the second year of his Dallas contract a one-way?
You are right, he was planned as the enforcer replacement for Krys Barch(who was traded to FLA) and has a one-way contract for 2012-2013.
Due to the fact that he hadn't a real impact in the AHL, I could see him traded in a minor trade.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:53 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
Unfortunately, and he will spend next season in the AHL pressbox like he did this season, unless he learns how to skate or hardcore goonery comes back into fashion.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:54 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
You are right, he was planned as the enforcer replacement for Krys Barch(who was traded to FLA) and has a one-way contract for 2012-2013.
Due to the fact that he hadn't a real impact in the AHL, I could see him traded in a minor trade.
Who wants a guy who can't skate? I would be shocked to see any takers for him at any price.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:02 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Who wants a guy who can't skate? I would be shocked to see any takers for him at any price.
I think he still has a good standing in Pittsburgh, for example after the battle against the Islanders where he helped Goalie Johnson.

Godard for 7th round pick / future considerations ?!

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:49 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Hopefully Godard never sees the light of day on this team. **** pure enforcers.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
BigG44

If there is an amnesty buyout, and Dallas doesn't use it on Adam Pardy, my guess is they use it on Godard.

However, I could also just see them doing a regular buyout of Godard right away this summer. As we've previously discussed, they are a bit tight on contracts.

Quote:
Eric Godard buyout from CapGeek.com

2012-13: $258,333
2013-14: $233,333
EDIT: In fact, i hope they do use a regular buyout on Godard so they could use the amnesty buyout on Pardy.

Goligoski-Robidas/UFA/Trade
Dillon-Daley
Fistric-Larsen
Jordie Benn