HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto's goaltending situation

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

vCash: 500
You can have Niemi.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:51 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Bernier to me is the most overhyped/valued player on here and in the media. Everyone is always saying he will be a star goalie and would cost a lot to pry out of LA.
Yep, rumor was that when the Caps traded Varly to COL, the offer was first made to VAN for Schneider then LA for Bernier. Also, both LA and VAN were rumored to have turned down the 11th overall at last year's draft for their goalies.

Quick is a UFA in one year, I highly doubt the Kings trade Bernier before he is signed.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:56 AM
JKsilverstick*

I find it ironic that Reimer at the same age has more games played in the NHL than Bernier and has a better save percentage on a worse team, and yet everybody wants to trade assets for Bernier and give up on Reimer, because they feel the goalie that has played more NHL games is too young and unproven.

Old
05-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

I think Ben Scrivens will eventually become our number 1. He looks great down with the Marlies and while it may take time, I feel like developing your own is better than getting a 10 year burden of a deal.

Old
05-27-2012, 01:04 AM
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Darren Dreger was on TSN Radio earlier this week and said that if you gave Vancouver a 2nd round pick and a salary dump he specifically named Lombardi, then the deal could be made. If I'm Burke I'm all over that.
Too man Dreger knows nothing about Gillis. Cause there's no way in hell Gillis will do this. If he did, this deal will easily be matched by teams that even have no interest in Luongo. That is such low ball deal, it's unbelievable. Darren Dregger saying that? I understand the people here will make up such a stupid offer, but Dreger.....

Old
05-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Falcons93

Can people please stop. It's driving me ****ing nuts reading posts from people saying Luongo is worth Komisarek and a 6th round pick

Old
05-27-2012, 01:28 AM
mstad101

Toronto acquires Antii Niemi for Nik Kulimen

Than

Sharks acquire Luongo

Canucks acquire Marleau.

Old
05-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post

Than

Sharks acquire Luongo

Canucks acquire Marleau.
That... is interesting to say the least - Sharks and Nucks trade a star for star at positions of need and the Leafs get a reliable goalie and the Sharks get a big winger.

Are you a fan of one of these teams?

Old
05-27-2012, 02:00 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
Too man Dreger knows nothing about Gillis. Cause there's no way in hell Gillis will do this. If he did, this deal will easily be matched by teams that even have no interest in Luongo. That is such low ball deal, it's unbelievable. Darren Dregger saying that? I understand the people here will make up such a stupid offer, but Dreger.....
There is a certain thing called a No Trade Clause that will stop that from happening. Any GM, and there will be very very few, that go after him won't have to worry about what you're thinking right here.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:03 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
Can people please stop. It's driving me ****ing nuts reading posts from people saying Luongo is worth Komisarek and a 6th round pick
All one of them in this thread?

Old
05-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
There is a certain thing called a No Trade Clause that will stop that from happening. Any GM, and there will be very very few, that go after him won't have to worry about what you're thinking right here.
Well Burke certainly wouldn't want to go after Luongo - that would interfere with Burke's unrivaled streak of missing the playoffs.

But other GMs may be interested in having an NHL-level goalie.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:17 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
OP, I will give you this warm, day old, half empty, America beer for Komisarek. Frankly, I think I am being a little too generous.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:27 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Sign Josh Harding. I think you'll find that he'll be a perfectly capable starting goalie. Certainly an upgrade over anything Toronto has currently.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:34 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
That... is interesting to say the least - Sharks and Nucks trade a star for star at positions of need and the Leafs get a reliable goalie and the Sharks get a big winger.

Are you a fan of one of these teams?
I'm a Canucks fan till the end, but I also consider myself a fan of hockey.

The Sharks would get reliable solid goaltending with some international experience win a couple of his new Sharks teammates.
Leafs grab a young Cup winning goalie, on a cheaper shorter contract, still only spend around 6 million on goaltending, and spend a winger where Leafs have some depth.
Also forgot to mention the Sharks are in need to get quicker, while still being good offensively, and Kuli I think would excel with Pavelski. Does have a 30 goal season, so fit Kuli got back to that, it would be only 10 less than Marleau offers with a 3 million savings.

Old
05-27-2012, 04:52 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingcru View Post
Hi everyone,

I keep on hearing Luongo, Luongo and more Luongo. As much as I think he is good, if TO have to give up more than Komisarek and a late pick for him, I say no way. Why doesn't TO trade for Jonathan Bernier? Unproven, maybe, but he is worth the shot. We need somebody that will help our goaltending for a decade. Someone like Carey Price. Either draft Subban, Dansk, or Vasilevski at 35th, or we trade for a young guy. Another idea that could happen if we draft one of the three goalies previously mentioned, is that we could trade for Halak or Elliott. Imagine what is happening over there with two all-star calibre players. Think of the situation of Price and Halak. One of Elliott or Halak will for sure be moved over the summer, and I hope the Leafs end up picking either Halak to start for the next few years, or Elliott who would be cheaper to mentor Reimer. What do you think? Comment!
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth, but Komisarek and a late round pick wouldn't get you a goaltender equal to Gustavsson. Komisarek is almost surely a negative in any trade at this point. His salary is just way too high for a #7 D.

It would be great for the Leafs to draft a goaltender, that is somethng they should do, of course most goaltenders aren't ready for the NHL for about 5 years after they are drafted.

In order to trade for a quality young goaltender you are probably looking at giving up a pretty good piece or two. Contrary to the way some teams have been thinking in the last few years, goaltenders are actually important and the market for goaltenders is much higher than it was just 2 short years ago.

If the Leafs want to acquire a good NHL goaltender they are going to have to pay whatever the going price is. Luongo and Tim Thomas might be the only goaltenders that could be available for slightly less than they are actually worth, but they are still going to bring in a pretty good asset or 2.

I am one of the people who think that Reimer actually has a future as a starting goaltender in the NHL but he needs a little more time to develop and he needs a team to play defense in front of him which the Leafs did not do last year.

I can't think of a worse team defensively than the Leafs, even Columbus was better. It is their forwards and defenseman, the entire team plays bad defensively and that needs to be fixed or whoever the next goaltender is for the Leafs is just going to look like the past few goaltenders for the Leafs.

Old
05-27-2012, 05:06 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Sign Josh Harding. I think you'll find that he'll be a perfectly capable starting goalie. Certainly an upgrade over anything Toronto has currently.
Aren't you signing him?

Old
05-27-2012, 09:57 AM
RogerRoeper*

How about instead of trading for an aging goaliew with 10 years left, they give the good goalie prospect leading his team to the AHL finals a chance next season?

Old
05-27-2012, 10:04 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Darren Dreger was on TSN Radio earlier this week and said that if you gave Vancouver a 2nd round pick and a salary dump he specifically named Lombardi, then the deal could be made. If I'm Burke I'm all over that.
Hard to believe. If so Leafs should do it. Luongo might be on again off again but he's on enough to help this team. Guessing any deal for Luongo will come once there is more info on the new CBA.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Hard to believe. If so Leafs should do it. Luongo might be on again off again but he's on enough to help this team. Guessing any deal for Luongo will come once there is more info on the new CBA.
That is not until September i believe, the Nucks need to do something before then, unless the plan is to keep both.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:11 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
It's the contract -- NOBODY wants that contract. It's not the cap hit. It's the fact he's 33, his play is slowing down and he's signed for a considerable amount of time.

Vancouver has a very solid team and defense. If you acquire Luongo on a team like T.O. where the defense isn't nearly as solid and he sucks -- what do you do with that contract? It's a HUGE risk for any team and the reason there won't be a huge return for Luongo. Queue the denial of Nuck fans.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:12 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
It's not hard to believe at all. What team wants that contract? TB is out now, and they were considered the most logical choice.

They'll be 1-2 teams serious about wanting Luongo. That's it.

And I say this as a guy who's a huge cdefender of Luongo and thinks he's underrated and a superstar.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:15 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingcru View Post
Hi everyone,

I keep on hearing Luongo, Luongo and more Luongo. As much as I think he is good, if TO have to give up more than Komisarek and a late pick for him, I say no way. Why doesn't TO trade for Jonathan Bernier? Unproven, maybe, but he is worth the shot. We need somebody that will help our goaltending for a decade. Someone like Carey Price. Either draft Subban, Dansk, or Vasilevski at 35th, or we trade for a young guy. Another idea that could happen if we draft one of the three goalies previously mentioned, is that we could trade for Halak or Elliott. Imagine what is happening over there with two all-star calibre players. Think of the situation of Price and Halak. One of Elliott or Halak will for sure be moved over the summer, and I hope the Leafs end up picking either Halak to start for the next few years, or Elliott who would be cheaper to mentor Reimer. What do you think? Comment!
shocked we have not had numerous threads on the subject previously

Old
05-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post

Than

Sharks acquire Luongo

Canucks acquire Marleau.
I don't mind Niemi for Kulemin, but I rather keep Marleau. He has 2 years left on his contract. Luongo has a terrible contract and I want no part of it.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
It's the contract -- NOBODY wants that contract. It's not the cap hit. It's the fact he's 33, his play is slowing down and he's signed for a considerable amount of time.

Vancouver has a very solid team and defense. If you acquire Luongo on a team like T.O. where the defense isn't nearly as solid and he sucks -- what do you do with that contract? It's a HUGE risk for any team and the reason there won't be a huge return for Luongo. Queue the denial of Nuck fans.
THIS^

Old
05-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Nucks N Canes

Its hilarious that luongo would be traded if return is small. If luongo doesnt get what we want we trade schneids instead and take some teams top prospect and first round pick instead.

Closed Thread