HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
05-27-2012, 04:41 AM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
and that can only happen if you start to lure over more players from these nations. If you get especially norwegian, danish and german you might get some fans there (so many swedish all over the world, so they will probably just to lost in the mass?)
I think this CAN be achieved over time

BalticWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:44 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Thats pretty humbling to hear that you guys think of us that way
Yeah it's very much based on the influx of post-1991 where the danish hockey league got all these latvian and russian players that was like seeing "gods on ice" compared to the level back then in Denmark. (+ the really good finnish, swedish, canadian & american that also played here in the 1990's)
The current danish players saw these play in their childhood and it contributed enormously to Danish hockey - and stilll do with the huge amount of these players that are U-or club-coaches around Europe these days!

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:48 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Yeah it's very much based on the influx of post-1991 where the danish hockey league got all these latvian and russian players that was like seeing "gods on ice" compared to the level back then in Denmark. (+ the really good finnish, swedish, canadian & american that also played here in the 1990's)
The current danish players saw these play in their childhood and it contributed enormously to Danish hockey - and stilll do with the huge amount of these players that are U-or club-coaches around Europe these days!
Thats quite interesting.

Old
05-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Thats quite interesting.
If you check the names of the players...they all (?) played on the Latvian NT when playing in Denmark.......so Latvians most have forgotten that you can play in danish League and still be good for NT (as we talked about Mustukovs). Well it was much better quality in 1990's than it is now because of the economic crisis!

Old
05-27-2012, 04:50 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
What`s interesting that Dinamo Riga is one of the rare teams in the KHL that operates with some profit,small,but still a profit,if KHL could get rid of these oil companies in the next 14 years they could potentially be on the level of NHL. but thats just a wild guess.
Again, prove it! You can't because it isn't true.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:58 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Again, prove it! You can't because it isn't true.
It was said by Dinamo riga owners themselves

Old
05-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Justinov

Quote:
If Dinamo Riga owners and their oil sponsor -Iteria - says they have a profit out of Dinamo Riga then lets accept that (if they are lying and they have a deficit, its their money anyways )
Edit: Mixed Lipmans with national team and Dinamo Riga with the oil company - Iteria? Though he might own both?

Last edited by Justinov: 05-27-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old
05-27-2012, 05:05 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
If Lipmans says he has a profit out of Dinamo Riga then lets accept that (if he is lying and they have a deficit, its his money anyways )
Lipans is president of hockey federation,he has no buisness in Dinamo Riga.

Old
05-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Lipans is president of hockey federation,he has no buisness in Dinamo Riga.
Yeah i got carried away with the godfather complex....see the big brother everywhere

Old
05-27-2012, 05:07 AM
BalticWarrior

The owner of DR is Savickis and make no mistake i hate him just as much as i hate Lipmans,they`re both idiots that havent played hockey in their life and dont have a single clue about how to operate a functional hockey system,thats why hockey in latvia is where its at,mediocre at best ,until we get rid of those guys,we`re not getting anywhere.

Old
05-27-2012, 05:10 AM
Justinov

Quote:
The owner of DR is Savickis and make no mistake i hate him just as much as i hate Lipmans,they`re both idiots that havent played hockey in their life and dont have a single clue about how to operate a functional hockey system,thats why hockey in latvia is where its at,mediocre at best ,until we get rid of those guys,we`re not getting anywhere.
You can just hope some hockey guys with a lot of money like Irbe and Ozolins starts something alternatively?

Old
05-27-2012, 05:13 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
You can just hope some hockey guys with a lot of money like Irbe and Ozolins starts something alternatively?
Yeah we need either Irbe or Ozolins in the chair of LHF,they know a thing or to about hockey and they have the willingness and money to be able to afford it

Old
05-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Yeah we need either Irbe or Ozolins in the chair of LHF,they know a thing or to about hockey and they have the willingness and money to be able to afford it
I would think starting up a real pro-club in a provincial part of Latvia might be a good idea (make a Latvian Herning or Rødovre) to specialize in youth building for the NT! Where young players can play on the roster when they are in their teens and be supported financially. Other things that can be done is give "stipendia's" to promising kids if their parents don't have finance for all the hockey equipment!

Old
05-27-2012, 05:17 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Link, please. DR is not profitable. Two years ago they said that three sellouts in playoffs brought in ~200K. Easy math suggest, that with unchanged ticket price they can't break even with average attendance of ours. If they view Itera's invested millions as a regular sponsorship deal, then yeah, we are making profit, but then so is every KHL team

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:21 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Link, please. DR is not profitable. Two years ago they said that three sellouts in playoffs brought in ~200K. Easy math suggest, that with unchanged ticket price they can't break even with average attendance of ours. If they view Itera's invested millions as a regular sponsorship deal, then yeah, we are making profit, but then so is every KHL team
So all KHL clubs basically survive on oil-money sponserships. The player- and management saleries are much higher than the income from spectator attendence and merchendise.

Old
05-27-2012, 05:21 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I would think starting up a real pro-club in a provincial part of Latvia might be a good idea (make a Latvian Herning or Rødovre) to specialize in youth building for the NT! Where young players can play on the roster when they are in their teens and be supported financially. Other things that can be done is give "stipendia's" to promising kids if their parents don't have finance for all the hockey equipment!
I agree but thats a thing Lipman will never,ever ****ing do,he could afford it ,but hes just too ****ing geedy.
Listening to his bragging about how much he has done for our hockey makes me sick.

Old
05-27-2012, 05:27 AM
Justinov

Quote:
I agree but thats a thing Lipman will never,ever ****ing do,he could afford it ,but hes just too ****ing geedy.
Listening to his bragging about how much he has done for our hockey makes me sick.
Then it's up to Irbe and Ozolins to do it eventually......they would have the money to be able to do it in a provincial setting for a long term strategy!

Old
05-27-2012, 05:31 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Then it's up to Irbe and Ozolins to do it eventually......they would have the money to be able to do it in a provincial setting for a long term strategy!
Well Lipmans won`t just step down without a fight. He surely gets some profit from beeing the president of LHF and thats the only reason he hasnt stepped down not because he wants to be the "saviour of latvian hockey for ever and ever" that ********

Old
06-24-2012, 05:01 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Girgensons 1st round 13-14th
Blugers 3d round 81st
Jevpalovs 6-7th round not sure which place could be anything really
Kolesnikovs 7th round,same as Jevpalovs
And the theres guys Like Podzins and Lipsbergs i`m not too sure if they are going to be drafted at all we will see.
Well i was almost right on the mark with Girgensons 14th(Buffalo)
Way off with Blugers 51st overall (Pittsburgh) and Jevpalovs and Kolesnikovs didn`t even get drafted so theres that.
Overall really happy with the draft.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Well i was almost right on the mark with Girgensons 14th(Buffalo)
Way off with Blugers 51st overall (Pittsburgh) and Jevpalovs and Kolesnikovs didn`t even get drafted so theres that.
Overall really happy with the draft.
Congratulations to Latvia with 2 good drafts.
Girgensons already as 14 - i would have thought around 20, so better than my expectations. Blugers as 51 is also a high good draft!

So Denmark also got two.
Frederik Andersen turned down Carolina's NHL offer and got redrafted 3'rd pick as 87 by Anaheim. So three Herning players all have been drafted as 87 (Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin and now Frederik Andersen). Must be the lucky danish number?
Thomas Spelling got drafted fifth pick as 142 for NY Rangers. Still chances for him eventually in Dinamo Riga if he does great in Rögle and doesn't seem close for NHL.

Norway got none this year......so in that respect we could both beat them this time!

Old
06-25-2012, 09:41 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Congratulations to Latvia with 2 good drafts.
Girgensons already as 14 - i would have thought around 20, so better than my expectations. Blugers as 51 is also a high good draft!

So Denmark also got two.
Frederik Andersen turned down Carolina's NHL offer and got redrafted 3'rd pick as 87 by Anaheim. So three Herning players all have been drafted as 87 (Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin and now Frederik Andersen). Must be the lucky danish number?
Thomas Spelling got drafted fifth pick as 142 for NY Rangers. Still chances for him eventually in Dinamo Riga if he does great in Rögle and doesn't seem close for NHL.

Norway got none this year......so in that respect we could both beat them this time!
Damn made a mistake Blugers not 51st but 52nd my bad,but still awesome, i know its wrong but im kinda happy that norway didn`t get any draftees and yes im still bitter btw congratulations to you guys too!

Old
06-25-2012, 09:54 AM
BalticWarrior

But regarding Girgensons, its possible that he makes the sabres roster this year,but i would rather want to see him playing for University of vermont(NCAA) developing his individual game so he could be ready for NHL next year.If all goes well he can become 2line center in the NHL,also there Blugers hes more of a long term prospect,he also has the potential to be 2 line center but it would take him atleast 3-4 years of development.One things for sure Latvia has good prospects at center position,now if we could get some good defencemen...

Old
06-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Justinov

Quote:
But regarding Girgensons, its possible that he makes the sabres roster this year,but i would rather want to see him playing for University of vermont(NCAA) developing his individual game so he could be ready for NHL next year.If all goes well he can become 2line center in the NHL,also there Blugers hes more of a long term prospect,he also has the potential to be 2 line center but it would take him atleast 3-4 years of development.One things for sure Latvia has good prospects at center position,now if we could get some good defencemen...
I think the same. Maybe he can get the 9 alllowed NHL matches and play the rest in NCAA, but not like the NY Islanders did with Nino Niederreiter: 55 matches 1G/0A and -29. Talking about destroying the confidence of a young promising player. I make this comparison because I think they are a bit similar in physique and hype (though NN is LW and ZG is center).
How is Blugers as a player?

Old
06-26-2012, 05:03 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I think the same. Maybe he can get the 9 alllowed NHL matches and play the rest in NCAA, but not like the NY Islanders did with Nino Niederreiter: 55 matches 1G/0A and -29. Talking about destroying the confidence of a young promising player. I make this comparison because I think they are a bit similar in physique and hype (though NN is LW and ZG is center).
How is Blugers as a player?
Well Blugers is offensively skilled,bit undersized compared to Zemgus,but is almost as much hard working as "Z".Also i was looking around for good prospects for 2014 as you know theres Bukarts,but then this guy cought my eye http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=91128 Haralds Egle he played only one game for EJHL and scored a goal though unfortunatley got injured,looks like he will be going the same path the girgensons went EJHL>USHL>NHL draft>NCAA and then hopefully NHL, it looks like 2014 might be even better year than 2012 for latvia,so what can denmark put on the table considering the next drafts?

Old
06-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Well Blugers is offensively skilled,bit undersized compared to Zemgus,but is almost as much hard working as "Z".Also i was looking around for good prospects for 2014 as you know theres Bukarts,but then this guy cought my eye http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=91128 Haralds Egle he played only one game for EJHL and scored a goal though unfortunatley got injured,looks like he will be going the same path the girgensons went EJHL>USHL>NHL draft>NCAA and then hopefully NHL, it looks like 2014 might be even better year than 2012 for latvia,so what can denmark put on the table considering the next drafts?
Being undersized is generally a huge problem playing in north america....with rampant concussions. You need the luck to avoid injury to get yourself established. So Blugers has to stay healthy. Haralds (without the ending -s it's one of the most commen old viking age danish/norwegian king names) Egle looks promising, but so did Kirill Starkov at that age. Anything can yet happen, and big injuries at teenage years can be devestating for developement.

For Denmark it's definitely Oliver Bjørkstrand (that played on the Herning baby line with big brother Patrick (now Mora) and Thomas Spelling): I think it's 1994-1995 born that can be drafted next year right?

So almost certain:
Oliver Bjørkstrand (1995):
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92803
His stats are really amazing considering he was playing with adults on the Herning squad at his age. Pretty good U18 and U20 stats as well for Denmark.....close dual losses to Latvia send us down both places!

Maybe's
Kristoffer Lauridsen (1994)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=66076
This guy has really been under the radar and then he did amazingly well at the U20 WC -> I mean 5 Matches 4G/4A while Denmark was being trashed by most teams (and better than Thomas Spelling that's 1 year older)!

Mads Eller (1995)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93351
Brother of Lars Eller so that gives some hopes of talent. But in my opinion he really underperformed at U18 and U20. So this year it will be seen if he can break out or not at the U18 level.

For draft in 2014 we have Nikolaj Ehlers (1996).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=66581
Absurd good stats for playing U20 when you are 15-16 years old!

So all in all I would probably think that at least 1 danish draft in 2013 and 1 in 2014.