HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers have ca$h, just donít know how much

Old
05-27-2012, 05:24 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Rangers have ca$h, just donít know how much

The only man who really understands this stuff

Quote:
The Rangers appear to have a considerable amount of cap space with which to maneuver in reconstructing for next year, but with the labor agreement set to expire on Sept. 15, itís anybodyís guess as to exactly how much.

The Blueshirts will have approximately $20 million of space under a summer cap thatís likely to be in the neighborhood of $76M, but itís impossible to know whether the 2012-13 cap will exceed, be equal to, or decrease from last seasonís $64.3M when itís reset under the new collective bargaining agreement.

Similarly, it is unknown whether any of the systems regulations will change as applied to calculating the cap, whether the players will ultimately accept a rollback (unlikely) if locked out (likely), and whether amnesty buyouts will be part of the picture.

With all that under consideration, the Rangers are in pretty good shape because of the significant number of young players on the roster who are earning under $2 million per year.

Still, with Henrik Lundqvist, Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi all eligible to become unrestricted free agents after two more seasons in what likely will be a more restrictive system, there is a limit to the moves available to general manager Glen Sather this summer.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1w3zuh7vH

The significant number of young players earning under $2M are all due for contracts before Henrik,Callahan and Girardi become unrestricted in 2014.

The Rangers will look to add a right handed shooting D to play with Marc Staal because of Michael Sauer's concussion. There's a guy from Wisconsin who will be available in a few weeks.

The Rangers will attempt to re-sign Marty Biron and Brandon Prust. Larry feels the Rangers won't go past $1.7M per for Prust and he could get more on the open market. The Rangers should be careful with Prust getting $1.7M per. That's a lot of money for him with the way he plays. They already made a mistake with Mike Rupp's 3 years/$4.5M.

Brooks indicates the Rangers will not attempt to re-sign their other free agents besides Michael Del Zotto. The Rangers want to sign him to a multi-year contract. What does multi-year mean? More than the usual 2 year contract for players coming off ELC and they're not eligible for arbitration. The longer the term covering more arbitration years,the higher the dollar amount.

No Anton Stralman and Stu Bickel. Stralman had his moments. Arbitration eligible. Bickel is a group 6 UFA.

As we have discussed before here,its very tight as far as how much flexibility the Rangers have this summer.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:34 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The last two times the CBA expired after 1994 and 2004,there were lockouts. The 1995 CBA was due to expire after 1999-2000 but it was extended 4 more years to 2004 in 1997 because Gary Bettman had 4 expansion teams entering the NHL between 1998-2000.

The cap is calculated by multiplying the players % by the NHL revenue and subtracting that number by preliminary benefits. Divide that number by 30 teams. Take that number and add 5% if the PA agree to exercise their 5% bump. Add $8M to that number. The gap between the lower and upper limits is $16M.

Any change in that formula will result in a lower upper limit.

Old
05-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Vitto79

Stralman comes back for cheap as an rfa. Rest I agree with. Only Dz, biron, prust, let the rest walk

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 06:26 AM
eco's bones

Prust has a broader job description than Rupp--the same money as Rupp would be okay.

MDZ--between $2.3 and 2.6 mil for 3 years or $3 mil for 4. That's a good raise. He still has some rounding out to do in his all around game.

As for Biron I'd see what was available first. I don't think there's a lot but I'd look anyway.

Stralman is a player I would have no problem bringing back depending on cost. Bickel and Feds are maybes.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

Stralman will definitely be back for cheap.

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 06:42 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

In the print edition of the Post,there is a chart with more comments by Brooks.

The Rangers and Marty Biron should be able to reach an agreement without much fuss

The Rangers may not qualify Stralman. Brooks wrote Stralman not accept it. Brooks didn't add Anton is arb eligible which is the reason why Stralman may not be given a QO

The Rangers might attempt to keep Bickel but they won't get into a bidding war for him

The Rangers will likely attempt to keep Mitchell for depth

The Rangers may or may not give Zucca a QO. He wrote Zucca will sign in Europe regardless if he is given or not given a QO

Old
05-27-2012, 06:47 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
In the print edition of the Post,there is a chart with more comments by Brooks.

The Rangers and Marty Biron should be able to reach an agreement without much fuss

The Rangers may not qualify Stralman. Brooks wrote Stralman not accept it. Brooks didn't add Anton is arb eligible which is the reason why Stralman may not be given a QO

The Rangers might attempt to keep Bickel but they won't get into a bidding war for him

The Rangers will likely attempt to keep Mitchell for depth

The Rangers may or may not give Zucca a QO. He wrote Zucca will sign in Europe regardless if he is given or not given a QO
So, Brooks isn't suggesting anything too over-the-top in terms of roster moves. Pursuing big tickets in the off-season is unlikely to Brooks, which would correspond to the Gorton interview with Cerny. I think the more imaginative posters here are going to be disappointed with this off-season. Again, get Schultz and RW who can play next to Stepan and Kreider, and I'm good to go with this squad.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 06:53 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The only man who really understands this stuff

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1w3zuh7vH

The significant number of young players earning under $2M are all due for contracts before Henrik,Callahan and Girardi become unrestricted in 2014.

The Rangers will look to add a right handed shooting D to play with Marc Staal because of Michael Sauer's concussion. There's a guy from Wisconsin who will be available in a few weeks.

The Rangers will attempt to re-sign Marty Biron and Brandon Prust. Larry feels the Rangers won't go past $1.7M per for Prust and he could get more on the open market. The Rangers should be careful with Prust getting $1.7M per. That's a lot of money for him with the way he plays. They already made a mistake with Mike Rupp's 3 years/$4.5M.

Brooks indicates the Rangers will not attempt to re-sign their other free agents besides Michael Del Zotto. The Rangers want to sign him to a multi-year contract. What does multi-year mean? More than the usual 2 year contract for players coming off ELC and they're not eligible for arbitration. The longer the term covering more arbitration years,the higher the dollar amount.

No Anton Stralman and Stu Bickel. Stralman had his moments. Arbitration eligible. Bickel is a group 6 UFA.

As we have discussed before here,its very tight as far as how much flexibility the Rangers have this summer.
Schultz should be priority #1. Get this kid in a Rangers uniform. If they need to trade #28 for his rights then so be it.

This kid will step in and instantly provide a dynamic transition game and make the point on the power play more creative.

If they can't manage to add another high end scorer to attempt taking pressure off Gaborik (who i don't believe will be traded regardless of how I feel) then go after David Jones. A big guy, still young, who can score 20+ goals.

Maybe adding Kreider, Schultz, and Jones could be the extra offensive depth they need.

Maybe they can sweeten the pot a little bit and get Schultz and Etem from Anaheim.

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Etem - Stepan - Callahan
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Jones
Hagelin - Boyle - Yogan

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
Del Zotto - Sauer/McIlrath

And now you have four lines that can pose a threat.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 06:56 AM
eco's bones

Stralman will probably get more league wide interest than he did last summer. For the most part he was steady defensively and he does add some offense. I got the sense that Torts pushed his comfort zone hard though--he might not get that in another place and his overall game might plunge a bit.

I wouldn't get in a bidding war over Bickel either. A one way contract for $800k for two years seems reasonable to me. He didn't play much in the playoffs and seemed overmatched quite often when he did. I think he's capable of getting better but down the road he's still a 6-7 defenseman at best though with a mean streak and some physical/fighting capability.

As for Mitchell--I don't think he'll have a ton of options. I think there's a good chance he'll be back if the Rangers make an offer.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:02 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
So, Brooks isn't suggesting anything too over-the-top in terms of roster moves. Pursuing big tickets in the off-season is unlikely to Brooks, which would correspond to the Gorton interview with Cerny. I think the more imaginative posters here are going to be disappointed with this off-season. Again, get Schultz and RW who can play next to Stepan and Kreider, and I'm good to go with this squad.
I don't think anything major will happen, either.

What ever i feel about Gaborik, know he won't be traded. So the goal now needs to be taking pressure off of him.

Schultz HAS TO be priority #1.

Add a guy like David Jones. They need to get creative If they want to add some scoring depth.

If they can steal a kid like Etem or another young player with potential that is NHL ready, they can plug him in.

Otherwise...

Jones - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Callahan
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Hagelin
Yogan - Boyle - Prust

Id love to add another scorer somehow.

But this at least gives you a ton of size on the LW and three guys who *should* be good for 20+ goals.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:05 AM
eco's bones

As far as UFA potentials--doubt seriously that Parise comes across the Hudson to MSG and Suter seems a reach.

Interesting d-men besides Suter--Jason Garrison (big shot--would help the pwp), Johnny Oduya, Brad Stuart, Bryan Allen, Barrett Jackman.

Interesting forwards besides Parise--Dustin Penner, Jarrett Stoll, Shane Doan, David Jones, Chris Kelly, Gregory Campbell, Paul Gaustad, Alexei Ponikarovsky.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:08 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
As far as UFA potentials--doubt seriously that Parise comes across the Hudson to MSG and Suter seems a reach.

Interesting d-men besides Suter--Jason Garrison (big shot--would help the pwp), Johnny Oduya, Brad Stuart, Bryan Allen, Barrett Jackman.

Interesting forwards besides Parise--Dustin Penner, Jarrett Stoll, Shane Doan, David Jones, Chris Kelly, Gregory Campbell, Paul Gaustad, Alexei Ponikarovsky.
Those are the forwards that would interest me.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:11 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

How much would Stoll command?

Shane Doan i can't picture leaving Phoenix.

David Jones makes a lot of sense to me. He would need to be utilized correctly. But he's a legit 20+ goal guy with size and strength and net presence.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post

campbell is basically a get out of jail free card, no?

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:15 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Those are the forwards that would interest me.
Penner's probably going to cost too much for what he's worth and I'm not sure Torts and his conditioning level would be a good fit. I like Kelly--good all around player--can put up some points and is a very good pk'er and a Ranger killer. Campbell to me is a 4th liner in the Prust mode--just not quite as tough but can do almost everything that Prust can do. Gaustad a big, gritty 3rd liner--maybe a slight edge on someone like Boyle--not altogether necessary but I don't think signing him would hurt us at all. I was impressed with Ponikarovsky's play against us. He can put up 40 points. He does the thing that everyone talked about this series in holding onto pucks.

The 3 you highlighted Stoll, Jones and Doan might be the best of the group though. I'd put Kelly 4th.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:16 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

One of the reasons I am glad the season is over so I can read rangerboy's synopsis of off-season activity.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:17 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
campbell is basically a get out of jail free card, no?
I thought of that--but again he is a Prust type player--just not as good with the gloves off--but game--and he wouldn't cost a lot.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:17 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I don't think anything major will happen, either.

What ever i feel about Gaborik, know he won't be traded. So the goal now needs to be taking pressure off of him.

Schultz HAS TO be priority #1.

Add a guy like David Jones. They need to get creative If they want to add some scoring depth.

If they can steal a kid like Etem or another young player with potential that is NHL ready, they can plug him in.

Otherwise...

Jones - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Callahan
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Hagelin
Yogan - Boyle - Prust

Id love to add another scorer somehow.

But this at least gives you a ton of size on the LW and three guys who *should* be good for 20+ goals.

Don't agree with your lineup. Chemistry, chemistry, chemistry...we saw what Hagelin/Richards/Gaborik could do, and while I'm not convinced Hagelin is the long-term solution, he fits for now. The return of Dubi to lineup in the last two games, and the subsequent play of the Pack Line tells me that the line needs to be put together for the foreseeable future. 2nd line, 3rd line, shut down line...whatever you want to call, put them back together and ride like they were two seasons ago. And, it's clear to me that Kreider and Stepan have some chemistry and need to form the core of the other line. Ideally, JT Miller would fit as the perfect RW, given his combination of size, skill and tenacity. But, I think he gets another year in the OHL, plus, probably a year in the AHL. IMO, while he might be physically ready to play in the NHL, it's better for his long-term development to follow the path I suggested. A two-year deal for David Jones would be optimal. Two other players that could also fit that spot would be Wheeler and Versteeg; however, I doubt either player is available without overpaying. As for the 4th line, it's clear Boyle and Prust have chemistry, and a superb 4th liners. The Yogan idea is interesting. However, I think, much like Hagelin, he'll get a few months with the Whale.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:18 AM
xbure9x

does anyone know the changes that the teams that lost in the conference finals made prior to the next season when they won the cup? for example, the bruins, Blackhawks, or penguins from the last few years?

I'm curious as to what they did since the Rangers are in this situation now.

xbure9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:19 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Doan and Stuart would be nice additions depending on the price and term. Jones as well.

I just worry if teams overpay for UFA'S because of the lack of several top end UFA'S aside from Parise and Suter.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:25 AM
eco's bones

On d--I've always liked Stuart a lot. A very dependable player. You know what you're getting. Oduya's got pretty good skill and an edge to his game. Very competitive. With Garrison--he has a monster shot from the point--something that we lack. A little iffy on how good an actual defenseman he is--maybe someone else could speak to that. Bryan Allen is a big, steady, no nonsense physical player--a bottom pairing guy. Jackman's had some injury problems over the years but plays a very hard game.

Any one of these guys would have come in handy in the series we just played.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:29 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Don't agree with your lineup. Chemistry, chemistry, chemistry...we saw what Hagelin/Richards/Gaborik could do, and while I'm not convinced Hagelin is the long-term solution, he fits for now. The return of Dubi to lineup in the last two games, and the subsequent play of the Pack Line tells me that the line needs to be put together for the foreseeable future. 2nd line, 3rd line, shut down line...whatever you want to call, put them back together and ride like they were two seasons ago. And, it's clear to me that Kreider and Stepan have some chemistry and need to form the core of the other line. Ideally, JT Miller would fit as the perfect RW, given his combination of size, skill and tenacity. But, I think he gets another year in the OHL, plus, probably a year in the AHL. IMO, while he might be physically ready to play in the NHL, it's better for his long-term development to follow the path I suggested. A two-year deal for David Jones would be optimal. Two other players that could also fit that spot would be Wheeler and Versteeg; however, I doubt either player is available without overpaying. As for the 4th line, it's clear Boyle and Prust have chemistry, and a superb 4th liners. The Yogan idea is interesting. However, I think, much like Hagelin, he'll get a few months with the Whale.
Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Jones
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Yogan-Boyle-Prust

Whatever combo you want.

But, from what we have in the organization, and if we aren't going after any of the Parises or Ryans...add Jones. And that's the roster id hope to see.

I agree about J.T. His skill set would be a perfect fit where Jones is. I hope they assign him to Hartford not back to Plymouth.

I can't stomach Rupp playing every game. Id rather see Yogan crashing the net than Rupp taking moronic penalties. If its not Yogan it'll be Rupp and Mitchell there.

As far as defense goes. Depending on what happens with Sauer.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Schultz
Del Zotto-Sauer/McIlrath

Erixon needs to bulk up. He's too weak unfortunately. We can't be having him get knocked around. Let him get stronger in Hartford for a year.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 05-27-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old
05-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Ke11y96

Sign Schultz
Trade whichever the organization has less stock in with regards to Erixon/McIlrath add to a deal for Nash. I would have to think McIlrath is more vulnerable to be traded, because even though he's physical and fights, we still have yet to see if his skating ability allows him to play that way in the NHL. Hal Gil could be a dominating punishing hitter but mobility is an issue, could it be with McIlrath?

If next years D-Corps resembled this we would be just fine imo..

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
Del Zotto - Erixon

When it comes to the offense I think we need obviously more offense in general a game breaker I.E Nash would do wonders. He's that guy who beats any defender in this league one on one. After that goal scoring and creativity are our biggest needs. This offense is so easy to shut down because of its lack of creativity.

So make that big splash for Nash, Larry Brooks was suggesting a start package of Dubinsky, McIlrath, 1st, figure Miller & maybe a Zuccarello add in. Thats potentially 4 pieces that dress for Columbus this fall.
I'd trade Anisimov for Sam Gagner. We already have a good batch of pker's so losing Artie wouldn't hurt and offensively were getting more in Gagner. Edmonton gets size and a more defensively responsible center.
Sign D. Jones to play left wing.

Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
D.Jones - Gagner - Callahan
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
Del Zotto - Erixon

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:57 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

We can't afford Nash.

Not in cap space and not in assets.

He's not a fit.

They're not trading Anisimov.

Old
05-27-2012, 08:09 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Brooks is just being realistic. The Rangers don't have a lot of flexibility. The other media members want the Rangers to add all of the these big ticket players. Those guys and Katie Strang are living in fantasy land. All of these trades for Nash and Ryan are going to come at a very steep price. Zipay has Dustin Penner on his list of free agents the Rangers should pursue.