HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next years prospects

Old
05-26-2012, 09:14 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
My outside prediction is Yogan impressing Tortorella with his mix of size, strength, grit, speed, and skill, enough to earn a spot.

There could be room for him on the third and fourth line.

And if we land Schultz, i feel his skill and smarts will be far too tempting for the coaching staff considering the problematic power play.
Came here to post exactly this.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:07 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The organization doesn't have depth, it has potential. We have forth liners playing the third line and third liners (who can sometimes step up) playing regularly on the 2nd line. We don't even have a true first line. On defense, we have 4 players who, regardless of how good they are, were forced to play too many minutes because there isn't anyone else available in the organization, except cast-offs from other organizations acquired via the waiver wire and tryouts.

This team overachieved--they did great for what they had and who they are. There is a core to build around, but there's still work to be done.
Like. This may be the most interesting summer yet as to what the organization does with personel.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Came here to post exactly this.
I just feel Yogan has mostly always been overlooked.

He's not pretty. He's not flashy. He's not the most talented.

But he's tough, he has a mean streak, he's big, strong, goes hard to the net, uses his body pretty well. He's got good hands around the net.

His skillset is something i believe this coaching staff will be interested in.

He's better than Mitchell. He's more talented than Rupp. That's two guys right there he could push.

Now, as long as everyone tempers their expectation.

We lack a big, tough, power forward with skill.

Assuming everything remains mostly the same:

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Yogan
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Though, i wonder, if we can sign David Jones for a good price.

Jones-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Hagelin
Yogan-Boyle-Prust

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Schultz
Del Zotto-Sauer(I hope)

Sure adds a lot of size to the wings.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:42 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Miller will make it, book it.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I really hope McIlrath can surprise us by making the team.
if sauer doesn't come back, he could pretty much plug that hole

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Miller will make it, book it.
yesss another believer!!!!! thank god im not the only one

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
if sauer doesn't come back, he could pretty much plug that hole
erixon?

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:13 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

I like JT Miller a lot, but might be a year away.

Erixon will probably make team if he eats some mcdonalds and hits the gym.

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
Like. This may be the most interesting summer yet as to what the organization does with personel.
Yep, this is probably the most dangerous off-season we've had in a while. The team won the Eastern Conference for the first time in a generation and made a real run in the playoffs for the first time under Sather. But, there were a number of holes exposed. Sather wants his name on one more Stanley Cup and he ain't getting any younger--there are going to be many temptations and many pitfalls that he will have to navigate.

The window is officially open.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:43 AM
gravey9

Aside from Kreider, I'm not expecting another impact rookie forward to push for a spot next season. At least no one else with top 6 potential.

The forwards most likely to push are JAM, Hrivik, Yogan and Wellman. Are any top 6? Doubtful.

Beyond that, there's St. Croix, Miller, Fasth and Fogarty - and they're all two years away... at least.

If the Rangers decide they need to vastly improve their top 6 forwards next season, it means a trade or FA is coming. Hopefully a more durable, sturdy gamebreaker than Gabby. (parise? ryan? nash - no thank you.)

That said, I would argue the best move by far to improve the offense is not a forward - but the addition of Justin Schultz. A true offensive defenseman with premiere SKATING and VISION would absolutely change the whole complexion of the team in an instant. I think this should be the #1 priority.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 06:55 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Yep, this is probably the most dangerous off-season we've had in a while. The team won the Eastern Conference for the first time in a generation and made a real run in the playoffs for the first time under Sather. But, there were a number of holes exposed. Sather wants his name on one more Stanley Cup and he ain't getting any younger--there are going to be many temptations and many pitfalls that he will have to navigate.

The window is officially open.
I think the presence of Clark and Gorton allays my fears in that regard. I think they'll do their due diligence on a variety of fronts and opportunities. But, unlike the pursuit of Richards last year, which was the ideal fit, I don't think they'll go balls-to=the-wall. And, fortunately, I do not expect them to follow the wishes exhibited by manner of the delusional posters here, and make any of the ridiculous proposal listed on this board.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc55 View Post
erixon?
I don't think Erixon will fill the role of a tank

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:20 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I think the presence of Clark and Gorton allays my fears in that regard. I think they'll do their due diligence on a variety of fronts and opportunities. But, unlike the pursuit of Richards last year, which was the ideal fit, I don't think they'll go balls-to=the-wall. And, fortunately, I do not expect them to follow the wishes exhibited by manner of the delusional posters here, and make any of the ridiculous proposal listed on this board.
Gorton and Clark...especially Gorton...have more sway in the organization than i think most realize.

I truly believe he is going to be the acting GM within a couple of years. NOT Messier like some believe.

Gorton signed Richards, he runs the draft with Clark.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

erixon definitely. long as he does what he's supposed to and strength trains hardcore over this super long weekend.

JAM is another highly likely in my book. i don't doubt that he could be ready, we just need to get him signed.

Hrivik has some potential and def needs a look at.

McIlrath could be AHL or NHL next year. I don't think anybody can know right now. Being what he is I wouldn't doubt him coming right up and playing that 6th D spot. Especially if we lose Prust to a better offer or manage to dump Mike Rupp.

JTM is still at least a year off as far as it looks right now. I don't have any doubt that he could come in and make the team, but I'd much rather him get an extra year of work for his development. There's no rush on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
What exactly is Erixon's ceiling/likely potential? He has some good offensive potential right? Does he have similar offensive potential to MDZ? What about defensively if he were to bulk up?
I'd put Erixon above MDZ in offensive potential and defensive potential.
He's a light-weight right now and not built for the game, but with a 6'4" frame we don't have to worry about it as long as he goes into the off-season bulking up. (Take Anisimov to the gym with you!) Either way MDZ and Erixon are comparable, but I feel Erixon has a higher ceiling going forward. MDZ needs some hypnotism or something. Just way too much of a nervous thinker.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:29 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
I just feel Yogan has mostly always been overlooked.

He's not pretty. He's not flashy. He's not the most talented.

But he's tough, he has a mean streak, he's big, strong, goes hard to the net, uses his body pretty well. He's got good hands around the net.

His skillset is something i believe this coaching staff will be interested in.

He's better than Mitchell. He's more talented than Rupp. That's two guys right there he could push.

Now, as long as everyone tempers their expectation.

We lack a big, tough, power forward with skill.

Assuming everything remains mostly the same:

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Yogan
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Though, i wonder, if we can sign David Jones for a good price.

Jones-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Hagelin
Yogan-Boyle-Prust

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Schultz
Del Zotto-Sauer(I hope)

Sure adds a lot of size to the wings.
Agree with your comments on Yogan--and the Rangers need to get bigger and stronger at least in the top 9--just not sure he's ready for it--that's a big leap from juniors to the NHL.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:37 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Agree with your comments on Yogan--and the Rangers need to get bigger and stronger at least in the top 9--just not sure he's ready for it--that's a big leap from juniors to the NHL.
It is.

But he has some experience in the AHL playoffs. And he looked quite good at Traverse City.

Otherwise its Rupp and Mitchell in that spot.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:41 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
It is.

But he has some experience in the AHL playoffs. And he looked quite good at Traverse City.

Otherwise its Rupp and Mitchell in that spot.
As you say he could push Rupp a bit but Rupp is on next year's team regardless. Torts likes him and he's the closest thing we have to a legit heavyweight.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
As you say he could push Rupp a bit but Rupp is on next year's team regardless. Torts likes him and he's the closest thing we have to a legit heavyweight.
idk... if mcilrath is ready i don't see a need for rupp. if he can be moved imo he will be regardless of torts unfounded love for him

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:51 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
idk... if mcilrath is ready i don't see a need for rupp. if he can be moved imo he will be regardless of torts unfounded love for him
McIlrath is a bigger reach than Yogan IMO. It just usually takes longer for a d-man to develop than it does a forward--particularly a winger. The Rangers should have the luxury of not needing to rush Dylan anyway. Nor would I want to throw him into the heavyweight ring right away either. Erixon at this point is closer and Tim's got to work on getting up to strength and playing more aggressively.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:54 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I REALLY hope Sauer is ready and 100% by opening night.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
What exactly is Erixon's ceiling/likely potential? He has some good offensive potential right? Does he have similar offensive potential to MDZ? What about defensively if he were to bulk up?
Top 4 two-way defenseman who chips in 30-40 points a year and is more than solid defensively. Think McD without elite defensive play

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Vitto79

Just ericon to start with Thomas, yogan, grok, jam, mcilrath as call ups. Miller will impress but one more yr in ohl

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:36 AM
YoungD4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ4 View Post
Not counting kreider because he's a given to make the team next year but which prospects do you think have a legit shot at making the team next year? So far all I can see is Erixon and possibly Mcilrath. Miller seems to be a year away. Any of the mid level prospects i.e Bourque, Thomas have a realistic chance?
I think Erixon is a lock. you can count on guys like Mcdonagh and Del Zotto to be veterans next year.

My D would be

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Erixon
Del Zotto - Sauer (I think he will be Healthy)

I put erixon with Staal because Staal is a beast and get help the young kid with his mistakes

And Sauer is the muscle that Del Zotto doesn't bring so that can help him out in the crease

YoungD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:37 AM
YoungD4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Top 4 two-way defenseman who chips in 30-40 points a year and is more than solid defensively. Think McD without elite defensive play
BUT Erixon has a chance to be McDonagh lite because he really is that good, thats why pair him with Staal, he will muscle up this year

Rangers just need to get scoring, Defense will be fine and i have a feeling Schultz is coming here

YoungD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:07 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Supersonic, I agree with you on Yogan, and I think he could be one of those 3rd line power forwards putting up numbers like Byfuglien when he played in Chicago, Clarkson before he broke out, and Bates Battaglia and Mike LeClerc about a decade ago, I just worry about his health.

He's been in the Rangers organization for two years now and suffered a shoulder injury in which he missed most of last year, and then hurt his foot/ankle in Hartford and no one knows how serious that is.

I hope he's ready to go and one of those guys that stays healthy once his body fully develops, but he might unfortunately turn into the forward version of Sauer.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote