HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers have ca$h, just donít know how much

Old
05-27-2012, 08:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke11y96 View Post
Sign Schultz
Trade whichever the organization has less stock in with regards to Erixon/McIlrath add to a deal for Nash. I would have to think McIlrath is more vulnerable to be traded, because even though he's physical and fights, we still have yet to see if his skating ability allows him to play that way in the NHL. Hal Gil could be a dominating punishing hitter but mobility is an issue, could it be with McIlrath?

If next years D-Corps resembled this we would be just fine imo..

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
Del Zotto - Erixon

When it comes to the offense I think we need obviously more offense in general a game breaker I.E Nash would do wonders. He's that guy who beats any defender in this league one on one. After that goal scoring and creativity are our biggest needs. This offense is so easy to shut down because of its lack of creativity.

So make that big splash for Nash, Larry Brooks was suggesting a start package of Dubinsky, McIlrath, 1st, figure Miller & maybe a Zuccarello add in. Thats potentially 4 pieces that dress for Columbus this fall.
I'd trade Anisimov for Sam Gagner. We already have a good batch of pker's so losing Artie wouldn't hurt and offensively were getting more in Gagner. Edmonton gets size and a more defensively responsible center.
Sign D. Jones to play left wing.

Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
D.Jones - Gagner - Callahan
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
Del Zotto - Erixon
Where did Brooks suggest that offer for Nash?

The Rangers offered Dubinsky,Erixon,Miller,Thomas and a #1 pick.

Columbus wanted Dubinsky,Kreider,McDonagh or DZ,Stepan or Hagelin plus a #1 pick

Other reports had Kreider and a top 4 D(McD or DZ) as must haves. McKenzie kept talking about Kreider and one of the D needing to be in the deal. That's not happening.

Gordie Clark said Columbus wants us to look like Columbus in order to get Nash

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:16 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Trading for Nash would be as idiotic as trading for Esposito.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I don't think anything major will happen, either.

What ever i feel about Gaborik, know he won't be traded. So the goal now needs to be taking pressure off of him.

Schultz HAS TO be priority #1.

Add a guy like David Jones. They need to get creative If they want to add some scoring depth.

If they can steal a kid like Etem or another young player with potential that is NHL ready, they can plug him in.

Otherwise...

Jones - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Callahan
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Hagelin
Yogan - Boyle - Prust

Id love to add another scorer somehow.

But this at least gives you a ton of size on the LW and three guys who *should* be good for 20+ goals.
Unless a kid surprises I'd just run Fedotenko on that 4th line and have Rupp as the 13th. Other than that, you put the exact same lineup I want, even sent it to NYRFAN218 before haha.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:20 AM
beastly115

Quote:
I don't think anything major will happen, either.

What ever i feel about Gaborik, know he won't be traded. So the goal now needs to be taking pressure off of him.

Schultz HAS TO be priority #1.

Add a guy like David Jones. They need to get creative If they want to add some scoring depth.

If they can steal a kid like Etem or another young player with potential that is NHL ready, they can plug him in.

Otherwise...

Jones - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Callahan
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Hagelin
Yogan - Boyle - Prust

Id love to add another scorer somehow.

But this at least gives you a ton of size on the LW and three guys who *should* be good for 20+ goals.
I'd be happy with this lineup. As much as we all want a Parise or Nash, we made it to the ECF without them. No need to add a major piece while removing a significant chunk of our team for them. Minor tweaks should be the key this offseason. Add some LW depth and another PMD on the back end we should be good to go. Not to mention all the experience guys like Stepan, McD, and MDZ gained this season.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Yup..IF we're making a big acquisition, the only one that would make sense is Iginla. Will be just as effective as Nash next year and he's a UFA so he won't hinder us in resigning our younger players.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:26 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Schultz should be priority #1. Get this kid in a Rangers uniform. If they need to trade #28 for his rights then so be it.

This kid will step in and instantly provide a dynamic transition game and make the point on the power play more creative.

If they can't manage to add another high end scorer to attempt taking pressure off Gaborik (who i don't believe will be traded regardless of how I feel) then go after David Jones. A big guy, still young, who can score 20+ goals.

Maybe adding Kreider, Schultz, and Jones could be the extra offensive depth they need.

Maybe they can sweeten the pot a little bit and get Schultz and Etem from Anaheim.

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Etem - Stepan - Callahan
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Jones
Hagelin - Boyle - Yogan

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
Del Zotto - Sauer/McIlrath

And now you have four lines that can pose a threat.
I'd love this defense for next season. It's a good mix of puck movers, defense, and toughness. IMO, McIlrath makes the team next season and takes Sauer's spot if he's not healthy. Maybe bring back Stralman as 7th? Maybe Bickel?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Boston Globe hockey notes column

Quote:
Under normal conditions, the cap would rise this summer. But under a new collective bargaining agreement, the ceiling could come down. The Bruins, like every other team, have been instructed by commissioner Gary Bettman to conduct business in a cautiously optimistic fashion.
http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/0...f4M/story.html

That's in line with what Brooks wrote today.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:35 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I agree that the return demanded by Columbus was ridiculous and would never pay it, but there's no doubt that this team needs at least one more forward with legit scoring skills. Where's that coming from? I love our kids, but I don't see anyone with game breaking offense that can impose his will on the defense. Maybe Kreider or Fasth could approach those levels several years from now, but even they strike me more as 60-65 point guys in their prime - and who knows where Richie and Gabby will be when they get there. This team is screaming for a) a true offensive defenseman and b) another offensively dynamic forward. Hopefully Schultz can be the former. Where do we get the latter?

I understand Brooksie's point, but at some point this team is going to make a blockbuster to get another forward. Heck, we already know they made a real push along those lines to get Nash at the deadline. Do we really think that the plan is now to simply tinker with minor moves on the fringes of the forward lines and hope the answer comes organically from within?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Columbus wanted Dubinsky,Kreider,McDonagh or DZ,Stepan or Hagelin plus a #1 pick

Other reports had Kreider and a top 4 D(McD or DZ) as must haves. McKenzie kept talking about Kreider and one of the D needing to be in the deal. That's not happening.

Forgot it wasn't LB it was Arthur Staple suggesting that. www.snyrangersblog.com

I agree its not worth all that you mentioned above, but if one thing has been shown with regard to a big name talent getting moved is they never, ever get moved for the "high end" packages this board seems to reflect. Look at Heatley, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Havlat, Bertuzzi when he was a big time player, Carter, Neal, Kessel..I'm not saying some of these guys didn't get solid value, but when looking back through this forum and seeing what the "proper" package was vs what the team received is quite different in many cases.

Package price aside Nash by far is more suitable to the needs of this Rangers team.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:39 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

By the way, it seems Staple wrote a similar piece yesterday, but it's buried behind the stupid Cablevision pay wall. Can anyone summarize here?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:41 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I'm all for adding David Jones. The big ticket free agents are attractive, but the organization should be looking to make cost effect moves.

This team should also be looking to add a third or fourth line center than can win faceoffs, a solid bottom pairing defenseman too.

Shultz should be a priority as well. That kid's gonna be a stud.

Should leave some room for the trade deadline.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Ke11y96

Quote:
We can't afford Nash.

Not in cap space and not in assets.

He's not a fit.

They're not trading Anisimov.
Then why would NYR management even go as hard as they did after him? Clearly there's more insight in the NYR front office then on these boards. They believe he can fit, both cap wise and as a necessity.

Anisimov if you look at his ice time and play to me is definitely moveable not necessarily the first name on the Rangers trading block but definitely for a proper piece they'd move Anisimov.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:49 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
No boyle or Mitchell. Thats all i ask for. Although getting someone like nash wouldn't hurt either...

Nash,Gaborik,Richards,Cally,Kreider and stepan is a pretty damn good top 6 (i don't think hagelin is ready yet)

Hagelin,anisimov,dubi,prust,feds and rupp is a great bottom 6 too.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:49 AM
sfox7076

I don't think we get Nash or Parise. I don't think I want them either. We have had enough Devils come here and flame out for me not to want Parise. I really can't see Nash fitting in with Torts. I also am scared of his contract as it lasts until he is 100 years old. I think we are more likely to try to get a deal done with Edmonton as I am sure they want one of our top 4 Dmen and could use Boyle or Dubinsky (as much as I hate to see him go). What we get back, I am not sure, but with them having the top pick in the draft, they have too many wings that can score and not enough D.

sfox7076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Thunderhead

vCash: 50
Quote:
The only man who really understands this stuff

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1w3zuh7vH

The significant number of young players earning under $2M are all due for contracts before Henrik,Callahan and Girardi become unrestricted in 2014.

The Rangers will look to add a right handed shooting D to play with Marc Staal because of Michael Sauer's concussion. There's a guy from Wisconsin who will be available in a few weeks.

The Rangers will attempt to re-sign Marty Biron and Brandon Prust. Larry feels the Rangers won't go past $1.7M per for Prust and he could get more on the open market. The Rangers should be careful with Prust getting $1.7M per. That's a lot of money for him with the way he plays. They already made a mistake with Mike Rupp's 3 years/$4.5M.

Brooks indicates the Rangers will not attempt to re-sign their other free agents besides Michael Del Zotto. The Rangers want to sign him to a multi-year contract. What does multi-year mean? More than the usual 2 year contract for players coming off ELC and they're not eligible for arbitration. The longer the term covering more arbitration years,the higher the dollar amount.

No Anton Stralman and Stu Bickel. Stralman had his moments. Arbitration eligible. Bickel is a group 6 UFA.

As we have discussed before here,its very tight as far as how much flexibility the Rangers have this summer.
oh baby

Thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:53 AM
eco's bones

Trying to sign Schultz is a no brainer. That doesn't mean it's going to happen. Not realistic to pencil him into the lineup as of now. It being his ELC any team could offer him the same deal at least in monetary terms that we do. I have to think that there is a good possibility that Schultz is going to want a guaranteed roster spot.

Back to Penner--objectively he is someone we could use--a big body forward with some scoring touch. His last contract was out of line and his lackadaisical attention to fitness level is not necessarily a good fit with our coaching staff. When I first brought his name up it was primarily because of his being a big body forward with a scoring touch.

This is not a very deep UFA season--even so we'll have some holes to fill and so gritty, large body two way types with some ability to put points up are out there and Jones who is a relatively young UFA would be a primary target for a number of teams which brings to question how much of a bidding war should we get in for him? Pretty much it amounts to how much a team thinks he's able to give good value for the $. Is he going to break out like James Neal? Probably not--no Malkin, no Crosby. In other words we should be looking mostly for 'quality' depth players.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:55 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Agreed--and that was very idiotic but not even in the same ballpark as trading Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge--perhaps the worst trade in Rangers history.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:06 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Resign MDZ (2,4 for 2 years), Prust (max 1,4 cap hit)
Qualify Stralman and MDZ ( offer them both one way contracts) at 850.000 resp 950.000 for two years
Offer Bickel two years at 750.000, same deal offered to Mitchell
Maybe resign Scott to be put in Hartford and mentor McNasty at some things he needs to know in choppiness and mauling people
Let Feds, Avery, Eminger and Woywitka walk
Resign Marty Biron at MAX 1,2 M for two years. Otherwise maybe sign The Monster Gustavsson to something similar.

Try to sign J Schultz, in a big way. But there are plenty of other suitors, so realistically it seems like a pretty slim chance. But you never know.

If not, not much out there IMO that has a price tag worth the return/cost IMO on D. Garrison is enticing esp for the PP, but he will probably cost a boatload. I think we need to get a veteran at the deadline instead.

Up front we need more creativity, offense and skill. Maybe a vet on a one year deal? Ray Whitney would be Optimal IMO. Ryan Smyth my second. Parise, Nash and Ryan are for separate reasons all unlikely pipedreams IMO. As, unfortunately, is Selšnne. As for bottom 6 players, we have those players if we use them there and not on higher lines. A refresher might do it, but I would be fine with Rupp - Boyle - Prust as our 4th line and Mitchell\Zukes as spares and Yogan/deveaux as call ups for that specific role. Loading the top 9 with a combo of grit and offensive talent is however essential. Richards, Kreider, Gaborik, Callahan, Dubinsky, AA, Stepan and Hagelin are 8 spots already filled. Get one more player a la Whitney (we need a stopgap solution considering cap problems in. 2013) and we look pretty good. Insert Zuccarello and Mitchell throughout the year adding lots of good depth IMO. Call ups might be Wellman, Thomas, JAM (sign) and Hrivik (sign). This is a deeper squad than last year, especially if we can get one more 20 goal scorer and Dubinsky can return to respectable numbers.

Dubinsky might be used as trade bait (depending on value due to erformance) as a piece (naturally adding pics and higher prospects) to acquire a final piece for a real big run at the deadline. Iginla or Ryan would be optimal IMO...

Something like:

Before trade dealine
Whitney/other FA on short term deal - Richards - Gaborik
2A Kreider - Stepan - Hagelin
2B Dubinsky - AA - Callahan
Rupp/MZA - Boyle/mitchell - Prust

After trade dealine
Iginla - Richards - Gaborik
2 Kreider - Stepan - Callahan
3 Whitney/other FA - AA - Hagelin
Rupp/MZA - Boyle/mitchell - Prust

In March??

Last edited by BBKers: 05-27-2012 at 09:15 AM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Thunderhead

vCash: 50
Quote:

that's just absurd . .......nash .

Thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
The last two times the CBA expired after 1994 and 2004,there were lockouts. The 1995 CBA was due to expire after 1999-2000 but it was extended 4 more years to 2004 in 1997 because Gary Bettman had 4 expansion teams entering the NHL between 1998-2000.

The cap is calculated by multiplying the players % by the NHL revenue and subtracting that number by preliminary benefits. Divide that number by 30 teams. Take that number and add 5% if the PA agree to exercise their 5% bump. Add $8M to that number. The gap between the lower and upper limits is $16M.

Any change in that formula will result in a lower upper limit.
A lockout would be terrible for:

1.) The NHL
2.) The fans
3.) The Rangers momentum

in my opinion.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:21 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Pose a threat...And get pushed around...This is not video Hockey..No way Slats doesnt have more grit than your projected lines..

Quote:
Schultz should be priority #1. Get this kid in a Rangers uniform. If they need to trade #28 for his rights then so be it.

This kid will step in and instantly provide a dynamic transition game and make the point on the power play more creative.

If they can't manage to add another high end scorer to attempt taking pressure off Gaborik (who i don't believe will be traded regardless of how I feel) then go after David Jones. A big guy, still young, who can score 20+ goals.

Maybe adding Kreider, Schultz, and Jones could be the extra offensive depth they need.

Maybe they can sweeten the pot a little bit and get Schultz and Etem from Anaheim.

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Etem - Stepan - Callahan
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Jones
Hagelin - Boyle - Yogan

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
Del Zotto - Sauer/McIlrath

And now you have four lines that can pose a threat.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
A lockout would be terrible for:

1.) The NHL
2.) The fans
3.) The Rangers momentum

in my opinion.
Agree,

A lockout would prove once and for all how f-ing stupid the hierarchy of the NHL really is. Like that old Lincoln quote, " Better to be thought of an idiot than open your mouth and prove it."

On Topic:

The Rangers at this point shouldn't have to do all that much, just some tweaking of their roster.

My hope is that Erixon hits the weight room (very likely) and Sauer's head heals (not so likely). That would give their top 2 pairings some rest. Say what you will, looking at the #'s the Rangers had little balance as far as playing time. For instance Game #6 their top 3 all played 24+ minutes, with McD topping out @ 28+, that is just too much and leads to fatigue/errors. Also they should do whatever they can to sign Schultz. He would be exactly what they need to fix the time played discrepancy. The only other component they are lacking is that crease clearing monster but watching McIlrath, he is another year or 2 away.

Their forwards, more specifically the bottom 6 are the Achilles of this team. They need some speed and more of a scoring infusion there. The Rangers continually had a difficult time with the other teams bottom 6, from Ottawa to Wash to the Devils. The Rangers made it way too difficult with a bottom 6 that couldn't compete. That was the big difference between the Rangers wrapping the season up and playing vs. the Kings right now.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:35 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Pose a threat...And get pushed around...This is not video Hockey..No way Slats doesnt have more grit than your projected lines..
Video game hockey...cute.

And you apparently know nothing about the players mentioned.

McIlrath 6-5 220
Kreider 6-3 225
Jones 6-2, 220
Yogan 6-3, 205
Dubinsky 6-1 210
Etem 6-1, 200

Yeah, real small and weak... and they're all physical.

Check your facts before you try to be cute.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:47 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
does anyone know the changes that the teams that lost in the conference finals made prior to the next season when they won the cup? for example, the bruins, Blackhawks, or penguins from the last few years?

I'm curious as to what they did since the Rangers are in this situation now.
Pretty sure they added that Hossa guy. They probably made more moves...but that was the major one.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:51 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I know you like to sound like the smartest guy in the room but you're not..I would love McIlrath next year but it isnt happening..Kreider brings jam and sandpaper??? Really???? And drop the gloves in Philly??? Dubinsky cant fight to save his life...Go back to class..Sather is our GM and loves toughness...Your lineup has none.

Quote:
Video game hockey...cute.

And you apparently know nothing about the players mentioned.

McIlrath 6-5 220
Kreider 6-3 225
Jones 6-2, 220
Yogan 6-3, 205
Dubinsky 6-1 210
Etem 6-1, 200

Yeah, real small and weak... and they're all physical.

Check your facts before you try to be cute.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote