HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Bad Is the "Sting" Your Feeling

Old
05-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

vCash: 500
Although I thought we could have gone all the way I don't feel all that bad. I never would have expected us to make it this far before the season started. And we obviously have a young developing team. With the right moves this summer I think we have a great chance at the cup next year.

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

This is going to sound absolutely awful in a way, but most of us true diehards should be feeling a small sense of relief alongside the sting. Playoff hockey is not fun at all for me. This years emotional rollercoaster was particularly bad. It is a little bit nice to have the weight of it off of my shoulders. Of course, I would trade the relief for a game tonight.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:44 AM
eco's bones

All in all a better year than I expected. Don't like losing to the Devils but thems the breaks. There's progress here. Would not have expected a 109 pt. regular season 1st place in the east. Would have been happy just getting this group to win one playoff series let alone two. I think as the playoffs moved along I saw the Rangers were lacking something--and not just goals. Losing too many board and corner battles--a size, grit and experience thing--which were leading to territorial disadvantages. Hagelin is very speedy but he's kind of light. Anisimov is light for his size. Gaborik not that gritty. It goes on and on. In the Devils series when you look at some of the guys they have working the walls--Bernier, Zubrus, Ponikarovsky--they are all really big strong guys. None of them are going to score tons of points but they all can burn you. We lost this one in the trenches IMO.

With that said--I think we were figuring out the Devils--coming back the last two games and pretty much being the better team in the 2nd and 3rd periods. A bounce here--a break there and we might be still playing.

Does it sting? Not very much really. But I'm 54--this has been my 40th year as a Rangers fan. Things don't usually happen as fast as they did this year. They tend to be more gradual and we've got a really nice core of younger players who should improve from this experience.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
This is going to sound absolutely awful in a way, but most of us true diehards should be feeling a small sense of relief alongside the sting. Playoff hockey is not fun at all for me. This years emotional rollercoaster was particularly bad. It is a little bit nice to have the weight of it off of my shoulders. Of course, I would trade the relief for a game tonight.
This loss ranks alongside Game 5, 2007 ECSF vs. Buffalo (Drury's 7.7 sec. goal) and Game 4, 1997 ECF vs. Philadelphia (Lindros' GWG that signaled the start of a playoff drought at MSG for 7 years). It was made more painful by the fact it was against our divisional & local rival from Newark.

The small consolation is with the way the Rangers were pushed to the limit by OTT and WSH in consecutive series. Exhilarating, yet torturous. I think the Rangers were close to running out of emotional stamina as the Devils series wore on. It should be a lesson for the core players we have that contenders finish off their opponents when the moment arises so that they don't rely on fortuitous or miraculous bounces of the puck to help them on their way. Closing out Game 2 for a 2-0 series lead, or realizing a comeback victory in Game 5, and the outcome of this series would have been different.

(Just think for a moment back to 1994, if Holik or McKay converted that 2-on-1 against Richter in the first OT or the Devils scored on the scramble just before the Matteau wraparound occurred. Now imagine if HFBoards existed back then, with the Curse of 1940 pervading Rangers fans' thoughts...)

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:38 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Easiest elimination I've ever gone through. There's hope; there's a tomorrow. This is something I never had for almost two decades.
After game seven of the Capitals series I truly thought it was gravy from there.

When the Devils scored I shrugged my shoulders and said to my brother "It was a great season. Sucks it had to end to NJ, but it was a great season." Like you say though: There is actually a tomorrow for once.

And the forecast is a 90% chance of awesome.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:53 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Not that bad.

I don't get completely emotionally invested in sports the way others do. You have to keep things in perspective when it comes to stuff like this. We all love the Rangers, and we're passionate fans, but at the end of the day, the more important things for me are my girlfriend, family, career and life in general.

If my girlfriend were to get in a car accident and die one day? That would be truly devastating and life altering. I would never be the same. The Rangers play like crap, or get bounced out of the playoffs or overpay for a free agent? I that really worth sitting around depressed?

Besides, as a fan I feel like the organization is headed in the right direction. I don't think anyone expected them to get this far.

Last edited by SomebodySaveKreider: 05-27-2012 at 11:00 AM.
SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:10 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Pretty bad still but getting better.

This is the only sport I invest a lot of time into following (football is only once a week) and it's an every day thing. Truth be told, if it wasn't the Devils it wouldn't feel as bad.

The warmer weather and really picking it up with the gym and running outdoors helps a lot though.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:29 AM
rangers5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
This 100%. Its just a game to me. When I was younger I would feel that horrible sting and be depressed about it. Nowadays, Im older, have a little girl, and just generally realize that in the grand scheme of my own life, them losing is a small thing. From a pure entertainment perspective it was an awesome year.
i wish i could be like that, i really do, maybe thats what i need to learn but dam this series loss hurts and i can't rub the sting

by the way how many of you watch every game, thats another point, i watched every playoff game plus pre and post, thinking this was out year, planning my schedule around games

i invested so much time/stress/money im starting to feel sorry for myself, even the last 7 years i always hope they would win, in 08 it hurt to

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:47 AM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
After game seven of the Capitals series I truly thought it was gravy from there.

When the Devils scored I shrugged my shoulders and said to my brother "It was a great season. Sucks it had to end to NJ, but it was a great season." Like you say though: There is actually a tomorrow for once.

And the forecast is a 90% chance of awesome.
I'm the exact same way. But I also have the benefit of not having any Devils fans for the most part around there.

We have such a good core, the future is very promising. Krieder started to realize in that final game that he has the size and speed to run down the big men. I liked watching him throw some good hits.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:01 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

I admit when the OT goal went in i was pissed but for me i have to put in perspective and say well at least we are on the right road and at least there will still be a NYR to watch next season or the season after providing there is no lockout.

I follow two teams, The New York Rangers and the Rangers (Scottish Soccer team) and when i said about the NYR losing and putting it in perspective well my soccer team have been in Administration for months and were being run by the Tax man. They have been very close to going out of business after 140 years of history so i think that has mellowed me out a bit and made me appreciate the fact that NYR losing is a pain in the arse but at least i'll still have the privilege of following the NYR.

My soccer teams situation seems to be improving slowly but they are not out the woods yet. I wont bother with why they are in the situation they are but NYR having a great season definitely lifted my spirits and made me realise that i should start looking at things a lot more positively.

I still moan about certain things during the game, some players on the team i think would be best traded but as long as they are wearing that Blueshirt they will get my support.

OP i suggest you start to look at the positives and remember that the team is going in the right direction and for as painful as the Devils defeat was the moment you see Cally lift Lord Stanley it will be worth all the time and love you put into NYR.

It will happen.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

A little bitter we're out but not feeling bad at all really.
I hoped we would make it past the second round and we did, so to me it was a better season than expected.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Pizza

It's not too bad this time round.

I'm older. I've been here before like a lot of you. The thing that takes the edge off for me are a few facts:

- This ain't your Grand Mothers Rangers any more. This is a team with a lot of true warriors. They left it all out on the ice. Most of em anyways. They just simply ran out of gas. You can't have two raw kids (Hags & Kreider) be two of the key players you have to count on in an ECF.... I mean, get F'in real guys.

- Lots of talented youth in the pipeline.

- Gorton and Clark = more solid picks to keep that pipe line filled.

I'm not satisfied by any means, but I am realistic about where we are. The big thing that is different is that for the first time in a very long time I'm weirdly confident that the organization feels the same way. They won't stand pat. They will improve the team this summer. We will see.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:41 PM
bmw2004

I couldn't think about anything positive when that OT goal went to our net. I felt stoned, empty and dissapointed. I still feel like **** especially when talking to my father in law who is a big Devils fan. Now when everything is over I can definitely say that we were outplayed in the last round, but for the first time in many years we have every reason to believe in the future of this team and our young talented corp.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I could deal with losing to the Penguins but I can't deal with losing to the ****ing shmevils.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

It really felt to me like this was our year. After the Miracle on Broadway, it felt like the hockey gods were finally smiling upon the New York Rangers. With Boston, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, St.Louis out, I thought our boys could do it. Ofcourse it felt horrible after the OT heartbreaker.

But then I remembered: we are the 4th youngest team in the league. Our young players got a boatload of playoff experience. The organization was able to see who is part of its long-term plans, and who isn't. Hank will be hungrier than ever next year. The entire team will be. So many former SC winners lost in the CF the year before. Why can't this team do the same? Bright days are ahead, Rangers fans.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:51 PM
racer90

although they're many different talking points one can bring up about this season, I'd say the feeling I got after the game was "this is definitely dubinsky's last game as a ranger"

racer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:42 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
just sports , not enough to alter one's life . waiting for october
YES, i'm just thankful I had NYRs hockey to watch in late May for the 1st time in a long time!
Yes, I would've loved to be watching them on Wednesday of course. I just hope they don't pull a TB. I doubt it, unless Lundqvist gets hurt.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:54 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

This one doesnt hurt that much. I felt worse in 1990, 1992, 1997, 2007 and 1986.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:51 PM
LordsCup*

If there is a lockout, then this "sting" will just never end. Thats part of the reason why it hurts so much, the fact that they might not play again for over a full year. I can't go through that again like in 2004. Especially how good the team played this year.

And for those who havent been keeping up to date on the potential lockout, the threat of it happening is VERY real.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:18 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

I lifted the clipper to my face and proceeded to remove the playoff beard, and the hockey gods sobbed as the once proud muzzle fell into the sink.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:34 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Ken Morrow scoring the Ot goal on Glenn Hanlon in 84 was the worst for me. Was in college. Then the rest was like a DirectV commercial.

Some dick Isles fan said something to my GF . WE exchanged words. Fight happened.

I got kicked out of Marist College. Spend years trying to rebound from that mistake.

Rangers lost, two people got stupid, one got hurt bad, and the other guy was sent packing, lost his GF, and found himself going to local community college and working full time while having to move back with his mom. I had plans that were better than that. I let my anger over a game completely turn my life upside down. I'm lucky that it didn't end up worse.

Point is.... Its just a game. Don't let it ruin your life.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:58 PM
rangers5000

i know i shouldn't feel bad but i can't help it, it stings

emotionally its better to lose in round 1, every win they tack on your hope gets higher and higher, then to lose in overtime game 6 sucks

part of me is grateful that i got to see rangers play this late for the first time in my adult life, i really was, i know how hard its been to get to round 3

but part of me is very heartbroken just getting this far and close, only to lose

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
well, i have to see it at least once . thank you.
You'll have to watch the whole game and feel the intensity through out

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I could deal with losing to the Penguins but I can't deal with losing to the ****ing shmevils.
Exactly. The loss to the Devils is what hurts the most. They kept our team from going to the Cup while they march in. That is what I can't get out of my head.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote