HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Why Not Dallas Eakins as an Assistant?

Old
05-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
He was one of Maurice's assistants. He'd rather run the show then take orders.

And I think hes ready. Wont shock me if hes an NHL coach next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule123 View Post
He said he has been down that road before and wants to coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEYGOON View Post
Eakins is as good as gone this year unless the Leafs throw a lot of money at him (ex. What they did to keep Nonis as Ast. GM) and he wants to stay in Toronto for family reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
I'd rather keep Eakins here to work with the kids as the head coach of the Marlies, but I think he gets poached no later than by December, when teams start firing their head coaches. I can see SJS, CBJ or even WSH going after him, in the off season. He's pretty awesome IMO.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:03 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post

I honestly laughed for 5 minutes from this

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
The first post is a little harsh but there is a certain amount of truth to it. In Eakins 3 years as a head coach he has went 5th, 5th and then 1st in the division. Watching Scrivens in the playoffs reminds me off the saying "show me a great goalie and I'll show you a great coach."

This is Eakins first year where he has had any real success as a head coach, he appears to be a good coach but I would let him go another few years before I let him coach in the NHL. He may be responsible for making some of these kids as good as they are but Frattin and Gardiner are NCAA products and he is not the goalie coach.

Looking at last years Leafs roster he wasn't even responsible for many of the kids on that team...Gunnarson(maybe)...

As per the OP of this thread Eakins has said he has been an NHL assistant coach and now wants to concentrate on being the head coach. He will probably get there but bringing him in this year would be a mistake IMO.
While there's some truth to this, I do think you've understated his role as a developer of players.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

I wish we had hired Eakins as coach last year, or this summer after a period of an interim coach to end last year. Carlyle is just another of a lengthening line of recycled coaches who can't get this team to build and win: Wilson, Maurice, Quinn. Hire an experienced ex-coach to assist Eakins in his transition to NHL. Like Kadri, Eakins has little left to prove in AHL. Now we'll lose him this or next year.

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
While there's some truth to this, I do think you've understated his role as a developer of players.
He looks like he is developing some good kids but I would like to wait a couple of years to see how any of these kids work out in the NHL. Being good in the AHL does not always translate to the NHL. Lets wait and see how these kids have developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
I wish we had hired Eakins as coach last year, or this summer after a period of an interim coach to end last year. Carlyle is just another of a lengthening line of recycled coaches who can't get this team to build and win: Wilson, Maurice, Quinn. Hire an experienced ex-coach to assist Eakins in his transition to NHL. Like Kadri, Eakins has little left to prove in AHL. Now we'll lose him this or next year.
I know everyone loves Eakins now after taking the Marlies to the Calder but to hire him last year after back to back 5th place divisions would be at best puzzling. I read his story as many others here did and I am rooting for him but just like the players if you throw him into the lions den, known as the Toronto Maple Leafs, too early you could ruin his career.

To reiterate, I am rooting for Eakins but rushing him in to the NHL to coach a media crazy franchise like the Leafs who need to win is not the best thing for anyone at this time.

Morguee is online now   Reply With Quote