HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schultz talk pt. 2

Old
05-27-2012, 01:18 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

vCash: 500
Schultz talk pt. 2

Other thread is locked up. Dont see a new one.

Discuss!

Last post ~

Quote:
No. I'd rather him walk for nothing than give him to Toronto for a depth player.

I'm sure Anaheim management feels the same way.
Im curious why you would rather have him walk for nothing then acquire an asset in return, one whom is rumoured ANA likes?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:24 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Other thread is locked up. Dont see a new one.

Discuss!

Last post ~

Im curious why you would rather have him walk for nothing then acquire an asset in return, one whom is rumoured ANA likes?
I just don't want him going to Toronto. I'm sure Bob Murray feels the same after that Beauchemin trade. They'd have Gardiner and Schultz. Major salt in the wound. Holzer won't make it feel better.

I'd rather him go sign with Nashville or something.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
I just don't want him going to Toronto. I'm sure Bob Murray feels the same after that Beauchemin trade. They'd have Gardiner and Schultz. Major salt in the wound. Holzer won't make it feel better.

That's how you feel and you said you think management would probably feel the same...I think most would disagree with you here. Im sure as a GM a lot of things piss you off but you don't ever let an asset walk for nothing. Holzer is a nice looking prospect that most would like to have in their system.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:41 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00
You're missing the point. The kid has said repeatedly he was going to sign here, and was quoted as saying the "Ducks trust me" or something like that.

Now he's going back on his word, basically ****ing the franchise because it's too late to trade his rights for anything worthwhile. His word is ****, that's what it comes down to if he leaves. Ducks trusted him and it appears they shouldn't have.

That's why I'm pissed. It's like some Paul Kariya **** except he hasn't done a damn thing to prove himself in the league. If he didn't wanna play here he should have said something during the last 4 yearsx.
just wanted to respond to several posts with the same message in the last thread...

first of all, there was no contract signed here... if you're going to trash on him for saying something verbally and then backing out of it, then shouldn't that same apply to every other player AND team that has done that?

Are the Flyers are classless dick organization for signing Richards and Carter to longterm deals and then dealing them? They were both under the impression from the organization that signing those long deals would mean they would get to stay in Philly for their careers, but the organization trades them just before their NTCs kick in.

So then we should be trashing the Flyers for going back on their word just as much as Schultz here, right?

What about the Lightning organization? They signed Boyle as a UFA, and then before he even plays a game for them, they force him out. They threaten him that if he doesn't waive his NTC and accept a trade, they will put him on waivers and let the Thrashers take him. How much class does that show?

So why are teams allowed to "go back on their word" and no one really criticizes them on it, but when a player does it, it's classless and he's a *****?

Schultz did not have a contract signed. Whatever he said verbally has no bearing on anything - the Ducks didn't get him signed and they knew that he had UFA leverage coming up. If they're going to just take someone's "word" on things and then ***** when the contract isn't in place, then they only have to look at themselves in the mirror to find someone to blame... that's not a very professional way of handling things.

Schultz did nothing wrong... and that's the same as the Flyers organization that looked within the rules to try and better their own team, much like Schultz looked within the rules to better his own situation. The flyers didn't owe anything to Richards or Carter and traded him legally without them having a say in it, as it was done before the rules allowed their NTC to kick in. Regardless of whatever they told them verbally - and again both players were under the impression they would be playing in Philly, they were within the rules allowed to explore other options - just like Schultz.

So then why blame Schultz for following the rules? More specifically, why trash on Schultz for doing what teams do regularly - look within the rules to improve their own situation regardless of whatever verbal promises they make?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:42 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
That's how you feel and you said you think management would probably feel the same...I think most would disagree with you here. Im sure as a GM a lot of things piss you off but you don't ever let an asset walk for nothing. Holzer is a nice looking prospect that most would like to have in their system.
Well, maybe not management. But Bob Murray does not need anymore egg on his face, I doubt he makes any trades with Toronto for Schultz.

Old
05-27-2012, 01:43 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:

I think you guys would get more then that Burke and Murray are tight I'm sure Burke would give murray a fair deal because then they can deal with each other again you never want to lose a good trading partner

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:54 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Well, maybe not management. But Bob Murray does not need anymore egg on his face, I doubt he makes any trades with Toronto for Schultz.
I was under the impression that you guys were perfectly happy with Beauch?

Burke and Murray seem to get a long well together. I cant see why they wouldnt trade again.

Old
05-27-2012, 01:55 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I think you guys would get more then that Burke and Murray are tight I'm sure Burke would give murray a fair deal because then they can deal with each other again you never want to lose a good trading partner
I don't think they're that tight, and it is in Schultz best interest if he waited until July 1st and pick where he wants to play. IMO Schultz wouldn't want anything to do with that media circus that's in TO.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Vorkosh

The reaction for calling Schultz a dick because he allegedly went back on his word is ridiculous.

People are acting like it's the first time someone's gone back on their word or that a college kid pulled this move.

I can't comment on other teams because I don't follow them that extensively, but both scenarios have happened to the Canucks before.

RJ Umberger was working out a deal, said he fully intends to turn pro with the Canucks, left Ohio State early etc etc. Then Kesler undercuts him and he's pissed, sits out a year, Canucks knew he wouldn't sign and traded him for rentals. RJ then signs with Philly instead of the Rangers who had traded for him.

Wayne Gretzky was on the verge of signing with the Canucks as a free agent, he told people it was a done deal, just had to sign. Had a verbal agreement and everything was in place. Canucks ownership at the time, felt that even tho they had Gretzky's word they wanted him to sign that night, calls were made late in the night to Gretzky and his agent. Both ended up super pissed by the late phone call, Gretzky signs with New York the next day.

It's not the first time stuff like this has happened, it won't be the last time either, Justin doesn't want to play for the Ducks it seems, he's making a choice that benefits him, yes, that benefits HIM not the fans. And I say, good for him.

Vorkosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Tunapants

Schultz is a giant piece of **** tbh.

Tunapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:16 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
I was also under the impression that Ducks fans were happy with Beauchemin's emergence as a leader on their blue line. Lupul was a salary dump, and, at the time of the trade, most "experts" were saying Gardiner isn't a top prospect/needed seasoning in the AHL, etc (THN had an article saying he wouldn't even go in the first round of a 2008 redraft).

Think Murray would rather get something in return for Schultz rather than lose him to free agency for nothing

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:18 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I'm sorry I value someone's word.

Don't know how the Richards and Gretzky contracts are relevant at all. So because people lied before its okay to lie now? I'm not following.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:19 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:

I understand that. I think the only reason that would happen in the first place is if there is a guarantee he is signing in toronto.

If thats the case, wouldnt you prefer at least ONE asset?

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:21 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
I was also under the impression that Ducks fans were happy with Beauchemin's emergence as a leader on their blue line. Lupul was a salary dump, and, at the time of the trade, most "experts" were saying Gardiner isn't a top prospect/needed seasoning in the AHL, etc (THN had an article saying he wouldn't even go in the first round of a 2008 redraft).

Think Murray would rather get something in return for Schultz rather than lose him to free agency for nothing
We love Beauch. Don't get me wrong.

But the Ducks could have just re-signed him instead of losing Gardiner to re-acquire him. Now they might lose Schultz to Toronto, just adding insult to injury.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

i heard he is to sign with Detroit.

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
I'm sorry I value someone's word.

Don't know how the Richards and Gretzky contracts are relevant at all. So because people lied before its okay to lie now? I'm not following.
How is it not relevant? you, along with a few others are acting like something like this has never happened before, like you're genuinely shocked that Schultz could have the audacity to say one thing and do something else.

It happens, people lie, not just in sports, but in general.

At the end of the day you do what's best for you. No one else, Schultz did nothing wrong, he is following the rules as laid out by the CBA, as people have done before him.

Must be sunny with kittens and rainbows in the world you live in if you "value someone's word" over a signed legal document.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post

I am happy we got Beauchemin back, just a little upset that we may lose BOTH Schultz and Gardiner. If we didnt have Schultz then i wouldnt have wanted to trade Gardiner for Beauch.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:26 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
I understand that. I think the only reason that would happen in the first place is if there is a guarantee he is signing in toronto.

If thats the case, wouldnt you prefer at least ONE asset?
Yeah I could see that. Still...it would reek of pity.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:27 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
i heard he is to sign with Detroit.
Source?

Old
05-27-2012, 02:28 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
The reaction for calling Schultz a dick because he allegedly went back on his word is ridiculous.

People are acting like it's the first time someone's gone back on their word or that a college kid pulled this move.

I can't comment on other teams because I don't follow them that extensively, but both scenarios have happened to the Canucks before.

RJ Umberger was working out a deal, said he fully intends to turn pro with the Canucks, left Ohio State early etc etc. Then Kesler undercuts him and he's pissed, sits out a year, Canucks knew he wouldn't sign and traded him for rentals. RJ then signs with Philly instead of the Rangers who had traded for him.

Wayne Gretzky was on the verge of signing with the Canucks as a free agent, he told people it was a done deal, just had to sign. Had a verbal agreement and everything was in place. Canucks ownership at the time, felt that even tho they had Gretzky's word they wanted him to sign that night, calls were made late in the night to Gretzky and his agent. Both ended up super pissed by the late phone call, Gretzky signs with New York the next day.

It's not the first time stuff like this has happened, it won't be the last time either, Justin doesn't want to play for the Ducks it seems, he's making a choice that benefits him, yes, that benefits HIM not the fans. And I say, good for him.
Those situations are a bit different though, there was an inciting incident that triggered those decisions. With Schultz, nobody has any idea why he's doing this. Maybe there is a valid reason, but at this point nobody knows what it could be, and it doesn't seem like Anaheim has treated him poorly in any way. They valued him highly and let him stay at school for as long as he wanted, and let him take his time, they regarded him as their top prospect and catered to him. The organization has been nothing but good to him (or so it seems) whereas in the situations you listed there was some sort of rift or something that happened which upset the players in question. Who knows, maybe Bob Murray is really an a-hole and did something to piss Schultz off

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:32 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
How is it not relevant? you, along with a few others are acting like something like this has never happened before, like you're genuinely shocked that Schultz could have the audacity to say one thing and do something else.

It happens, people lie, not just in sports, but in general.

At the end of the day you do what's best for you. No one else, Schultz did nothing wrong, he is following the rules as laid out by the CBA, as people have done before him.

Must be sunny with kittens and rainbows in the world you live in if you "value someone's word" over a signed legal document.
Okay it's like the 200th time this has happened. Changes absolutely nothing. He's still a dick. He said "they trust me". He said "I want to play there". I don't value that over a contract, but I still place some value in what he says.

Apparently I should assume everything is a lie.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Those situations are a bit different though, there was an inciting incident that triggered those decisions. With Schultz, nobody has any idea why he's doing this. Maybe there is a valid reason, but at this point nobody knows what it could be, and it doesn't seem like Anaheim has treated him poorly in any way. They valued him highly and let him stay at school for as long as he wanted, and let him take his time, they regarded him as their top prospect and catered to him. The organization has been nothing but good to him (or so it seems) whereas in the situations you listed there was some sort of rift or something that happened which upset the players in question. Who knows, maybe Bob Murray is really an a-hole and did something to piss Schultz off

That's fair, someone posted a link to an interview with Schultz and Schultz said that after he made his decision to stay for another year, Anaheim was "hounding" him. I mean it's anyone's guess what hounding means and the extent it went to, but that could be the reason?

Maybe Schultz just doesn't want to play for Anaheim for whatever reason like Lindros didn't want to play for Quebec, or Steve Francis didn't want to play for Vancouver

Old
05-27-2012, 02:36 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
I thought the rumor was that Murray was interested in Holzer? If (big if) Schultz has informed management of who he intends to sign with (and if he knows, I feel like that's the least he can do), and that team is Toronto, I feel like his rights for Holzer would be a good deal for all parties. I dunno, I just feel like Anaheim deserves some form of compensation, especially with a prospect of Schultz's calibre.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Okay it's like the 200th time this has happened. Changes absolutely nothing. He's still a dick. He said "they trust me". He said "I want to play there". I don't value that over a contract, but I still place some value in what he says.

No, you should just not be so naive. I mean christ, they did a movie about this too, it was called Jerry Mcguire. "My word is my bond and it's stronger than oak" oh I signed with your rival while you were showing Cuba Gooding Jr around sorry.

You should take things being said with a grain of salt, it's never at face value. I mean, a few years back, Marian Gaborik bought a house in North Vancouver. He's going to sign with the Canucks right? he's found a place to live, he's been hinting at it. Out of nowhere, New York offers him more money and he bolts to the Rangers. No one I knew of at the time called him a dick for doing that.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:37 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:

I agree with you, talented as he is, I am still interested in knowing why he is going back on his word.

At this point it certainly paints him to be a bit of a dick or whatever.

The guy who is telling you that contracts or bust or w/e is silly, as if there arent hush hush handshakes in the business world. If everything was on paper then there would be 100000000x more legal issues.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote