HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2012, 07:04 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by OprtnShtdwn View Post
My favorite is when a player decides he wants to camp out right in front of me in the crease, but yet gets mad if i give him a shove out of my crease, or a defenseman forces him out.

Like yes it is non-contact, but don't expect to get to stand right in the goalies kitchen and expect nothing to happen to you. I'm not dirty where i'll slash you or anything like that, but i'll give you a solid blocker to the back more so as a way to just get you off balance and not able to deflect a shot.
I played Dek Hockey (a story for a different time) for one season and quit after because of this. People who never played the game before have this idea in their head that they are allowed to screen the goalie w/o being touched. It boggles my freaking mind. The best part of hockey is the battles in front of the net. If you are experienced, you know the cheap shots (nothing excessive) to get a player from being stable and easily move them out. Goalies and defenders have the free reign to battle. That's part of ANY game. Even non-contact. It always ends in a pissing match unless you are playing with someone who played the game.

So yes... great call. That drives me freaking insane. It's one thing I cannot stand. People can be such babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
yeah, ok, there's that, but i wouldn't call it a blessing that we even have refs. part of why they are all bad is because they don't get paid much and good refs don't want to bother with beer league. IMO the league needs to continually educate the refs, improve officiating altogether.

just because someone gave you pants and girdle, and called you a ref, doesn't mean you know what you are doing.
I'm not trying to pay anything more than I already pay. I drop like $500 every 4 months on hockey just to play and keep on the ice. That's probably including tape/sticks/etc. I don't want to drop another couple hundred just for a little bit better refs.

I completely empathize with your frustration, but do not think it will ever get better. It just won't. You have to take the good with the bad.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:58 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
Lol nah, I don't have a condition. I had a wake up call 2 years ago and left my drinking and drugs habit behind.

I still drink soda once a week, please spare me
dont trip....i dont drink either...i would feel like i was in high school again if i ever got "chirped" for that and would think it was funny that a grown man is trying to pressure another man into drinking in a locker-room....not that im anti-drinking or anything but stopped drinking years ago.....and congrats on being sober

Old
05-25-2012, 03:48 AM
Happy Fan
one big happy family

Quote:
Lol nah, I don't have a condition. I had a wake up call 2 years ago and left my drinking and drugs habit behind.

I still drink soda once a week, please spare me
lol sounds like jail.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I played Dek Hockey (a story for a different time) for one season and quit after because of this. People who never played the game before have this idea in their head that they are allowed to screen the goalie w/o being touched. It boggles my freaking mind. The best part of hockey is the battles in front of the net. If you are experienced, you know the cheap shots (nothing excessive) to get a player from being stable and easily move them out. Goalies and defenders have the free reign to battle. That's part of ANY game. Even non-contact. It always ends in a pissing match unless you are playing with someone who played the game.
Having never played (yet), this may sound uneducated but ...

I guess for me this is a point of confusion. The battles in front seem like they're well worth it. It allows you to out physical and out work the person you're battling with, but even the small cheap shots seem to take the work (and fun) out of it. I wouldn't think there would be a defense for some of those attempts to make you unstable. (i.e stick blade to back of knee) It just seems like a quick way to upset someone and have things escalate quickly.

Again, if you can out work someone by being more physical, that's part of the game. But getting someone out from in front of the net by making them unstable via cheap shot in a rec league doesn't seem like battling in front of the net to me.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:10 AM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post

I guess for me this is a point of confusion. The battles in front seem like they're well worth it. It allows you to out physical and out work the person you're battling with, but even the small cheap shots seem to take the work (and fun) out of it. I wouldn't think there would be a defense for some of those attempts to make you unstable. (i.e stick blade to back of knee) It just seems like a quick way to upset someone and have things escalate quickly.

Again, if you can out work someone by being more physical, that's part of the game. But getting someone out from in front of the net by making them unstable via cheap shot in a rec league doesn't seem like battling in front of the net to me.
I've never seen it get chippy in lower level rec leagues but in higher levels it certainly does. Those are the guys who have been playing since they were kids and it's a hard part of the game to let go. You just return the favor.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post

Getting crosschecked in front of the net is pretty common. Sometimes it gets called, sometimes it doesn't.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:41 AM
OpenIceHit42

Guys that are pretty much out of control and have zero idea what their doing. Was skating in a pickup game last night and a guy who could barely stand fell and fell into the outside of my right knee and bent it inward, little sore today but could've been a hell of a-lot worse.

I understand not all people have been playing hockey for 22 years like myself but c'mon do some of us a favor and go to an open skate a few times before you decide to come out to a pickup game if your new to the game.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Guys that are pretty much out of control and have zero idea what their doing. Was skating in a pickup game last night and a guy who could barely stand fell and fell into the outside of my right knee and bent it inward, little sore today but could've been a hell of a-lot worse.

I understand not all people have been playing hockey for 22 years like myself but c'mon do some of us a favor and go to an open skate a few times before you decide to come out to a pickup game if your new to the game.
I got boarded from behind by a guy who couldn't stop. Yeah, it does get a bit dangerous when someone who can't skate decides to play reckless.

Old
05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
dont trip....i dont drink either...i would feel like i was in high school again if i ever got "chirped" for that and would think it was funny that a grown man is trying to pressure another man into drinking in a locker-room....not that im anti-drinking or anything but stopped drinking years ago.....and congrats on being sober
Haha yes, 'high school' would be an apt description of it. Nothing wrong if you turn down beer in the locker room and I've always done it. Personally I have two primary reasons. First, during the course of the game I drink like a horse, usually consuming a bottle of powerade and half at least my water bottle, if I drink anymore while stationary in the locker room chances are it's going to be a very uncomfortable drive home. Second, I don't like beer. I know it's sacrilegious but I just hate the stuff.

Regardless of the reasons though if it's an adult locker room no one should care if you don't want a beer after the game.

Old
05-25-2012, 05:04 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post

This.
People and especially those that can barely skate, don't realize how dangerous it is when you can't control your stick and skates, since, you can barely stand up on them.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
My favorite is when a player decides he wants to camp out right in front of me in the crease, but yet gets mad if i give him a shove out of my crease, or a defenseman forces him out.

Like yes it is non-contact, but don't expect to get to stand right in the goalies kitchen and expect nothing to happen to you. I'm not dirty where i'll slash you or anything like that, but i'll give you a solid blocker to the back more so as a way to just get you off balance and not able to deflect a shot.
Agreed. I almost feel like I owe it to my goaltender to not allow guys to stand uncontested in front of him all day long. Twice a guy in front of me hit the deck and yelled "CMON". No big crosschecks or the like, i just give him a stiff arm in the back. It's ice hockey for God's sake.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:27 PM
jigglysquishy

My beer league is a little different then most. My university's engineering college set up a league where each discipline has a team. So there's a civil engineering team, a mechanical engineering team, a chemical engineering team, etc. So everyone knows each other and we each other 5 days a week.

The only things that really get on my nerves

11pm or 12am starts. Come on, we ALL have class at 8:30. Let's get an earlier time.

Ice hogs. The guys who play 75% of the game. Get off the ice and let someone else play. When I can see some kid is only playing 10 minutes a night I think you should be give him a chance.

Guys who drink a beer every game yet never buy a case. We're all friends here. Don't be a ******.

Things I love

Doing homework over beer and wings with my teammates at 2am.

Teammates that help explain where I'm screwing up when I ask.

The commradery we share in the classroom afterwards.

The hot ass girls who ref our games.

Old
05-26-2012, 03:50 PM
OprtnShtdwn

Here's something that annoyed me last night:

We're up 9-0 against a clearly overmatched team with about 10 to 15 seconds left in the 3rd Period. Our guy decided to take it coast to coast and put a move on the goalie. He scored with about 2 seconds left.

I was honestly embarrassed for our team that he'd try something like that up 9-0. I told him right after he did that that if I was the goalie on the other team, i'd of made him do a somersault right over top of me, Hasek style. Like seriously man, way to embarrass the other team. I understand playing to the final whistle, but do you really need that last goal that badly?

Old
05-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Here's something that annoyed me last night:

We're up 9-0 against a clearly overmatched team with about 10 to 15 seconds left in the 3rd Period. Our guy decided to take it coast to coast and put a move on the goalie. He scored with about 2 seconds left.

I was honestly embarrassed for our team that he'd try something like that up 9-0. I told him right after he did that that if I was the goalie on the other team, i'd of made him do a somersault right over top of me, Hasek style. Like seriously man, way to embarrass the other team. I understand playing to the final whistle, but do you really need that last goal that badly?
Yeah thats pretty bush. Should've shut it down and taken it easy on em a lot earlier.

Old
05-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

What do you do about the guy who barely moves but stays on the ice forever? We call him the Human Statue. When people bring it up to him he says he is just out there to have fun, which I am all for but it is getting to the point now where some of our better players are running into him out there and whoever shares the wing with him loses ice time. If you cant get into the competition of the beer league, wouldnt he be better off just playing pick up? Am I just being an A hole? How do I approach this?

Old
05-26-2012, 04:33 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
What do you do about the guy who barely moves but stays on the ice forever? We call him the Human Statue. When people bring it up to him he says he is just out there to have fun, which I am all for but it is getting to the point now where some of our better players are running into him out there and whoever shares the wing with him loses ice time. If you cant get into the competition of the beer league, wouldnt he be better off just playing pick up? Am I just being an A hole? How do I approach this?
Only thing you can really do is implement a 1 minute or 45 second shift rule that everyone follows. If he's breaking a team rule that everyone else is following what can he argue about?

Old
05-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I hate this as well. And it has nothing to do with having fun or competitiveness. It has to do with playing team hockey and spreading the ice time. And nothing screws up all the lines like one guy deciding to stay out way longer than the rest of his line mates. Solve it by telling the guy to 'skate and GTFO the ice' or go find another team. The teams I've played on have solved this problem quickly by multiple people jumping on the guy about it. Doesn't matter if you're the best or worst player. Take your shift and get off.

Old
05-26-2012, 07:06 PM
GrafSk8r12

I can't stand the cocky kids who are fresh out of high school or about to graduate and have no respect for anyone. It's even worse when they get blown out and still run their mouths.

Old
05-27-2012, 01:17 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I hate this as well. And it has nothing to do with having fun or competitiveness. It has to do with playing team hockey and spreading the ice time. And nothing screws up all the lines like one guy deciding to stay out way longer than the rest of his line mates. Solve it by telling the guy to 'skate and GTFO the ice' or go find another team. The teams I've played on have solved this problem quickly by multiple people jumping on the guy about it. Doesn't matter if you're the best or worst player. Take your shift and get off.
Yeah if it's one guy doing it, and it especially helps if he's not getting tired because he's not putting any effort into it, should be pretty easy to tell him to smarten up or you kick him off the team. In any casual team sport when you have subs on the sidelines the point isn't to stay on until you're dead tired, you need to cycle the lines so everyone gets play time and no one gets cold on the bench.

Old
05-27-2012, 03:40 AM
drivesrf

My biggest beer league frustration is not being able to find a beer league that matches my schedule and skill level!

Old
05-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Watching this thread makes beer league sounds like a lot of fun! I wish i could join a beer league...

I stopped drinking though, are you required to drink beers?
I've been in the same beer league for about 4 years now. In all that time, I've had literally 2 beers. None of the guys in the league care. They should be happy, it means more beer for them!

Old
05-27-2012, 03:35 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrafSk8r12 View Post
I can't stand the cocky kids who are fresh out of high school or about to graduate and have no respect for anyone. It's even worse when they get blown out and still run their mouths.
Nothing a little nice open ice hit won't fix

Old
05-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Gibson19

Biggest frustration - how seriously people take beer league hockey. Sure we are playing in the more competitive level, but still people.

Second biggest frustration - shoddy reffing. Normally it was fine but lately any bit of physical play and the refs start lecturing about how they are gonna kick everyone out of the game and start flip flopping on what is called and what isn't. Hell, recently we had a guy trip up an opponent on a breakaway. Penalty shot, but they let play continue. We then touched the puck twice (albeit not for long) before another guy takes a penalty trying to touch the puck. The other teams gets a penalty shot AND we have to kill off 2 minutes now. I couldn't believe that ****.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:47 PM
qmechanic

My biggest frustration is beginning players, who are still fairly young, playing recklessly. These are people who charge, skate full steam at you without even trying to stop, and scare you when they slam themselves into the boards. I've had some close calls where I was almost seriously injured by an overly "enthusiastic" newbie.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmechanic View Post
My biggest frustration is beginning players, who are still fairly young, playing recklessly. These are people who charge, skate full steam at you without even trying to stop, and scare you when they slam themselves into the boards. I've had some close calls where I was almost seriously injured by an overly "enthusiastic" newbie.
If you had to pick, would you rather a newbie be overly "enthusiastic" and go hard, yet recklessly after pucks, or a newbie who plays under control, but has a tendency to float?

Closed Thread