HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft: Eyes On The Islanders

Old
05-27-2012, 12:29 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
2012 NHL Entry Draft: Eyes On The Islanders

by THW's Anatoliy Metter:

Excerpt:

Quote:
For the last several years, the NHL Entry Draft has been a beacon of hope for Islanders fans. After drafting John Tavares in 2009, Nino Niederreiter in 2010, and Ryan Strome in 2011, the New York Islanders will go into the 2012 NHL Entry Draft with another top five pick. With the Islanders and Garth Snow selecting in the number four spot this year, many fans have been left wondering who will be targeted by the Isles at the draft this year.

In order to accurately peg the Isles’ needs, one must look at the biggest problem spot for the team, its defense. With the 2012 Draft class being loaded with top-notch d-men, the Isles will most likely consider targeting a player such as Ryan Murray, Matthew Dumba, Jacob Trouba, or one of the other stellar defensive choices that will be available to them. However, stranger things have happened and there are rarely many givens when it comes to the NHL Entry Draft.

Here’s a look at a couple of scenarios that might interest the Islanders and their fans:
Scenario #5:

Quote:
5.) NYI Selects Filip Forsberg at Fourth Overall – Filip Forsberg might be one of the forwards that could put Garth Snow between a rock and a hard place if he is still available once the Isles’ are up for their selection. In recent years, Snow has refrained from drafting forwards that do not skate very well and Forsberg is the complete antithesis of a bad skater. Forsberg moves and skates very well on the ice and has the offensive potential to be a solid top-six forward in the NHL. Forsberg also possesses good speed, a quick shot, and good passing abilities that could make him an intriguing option for the Islanders.

Aside from their defensive woes during the 2011-2012 regular season, the Islanders also lacked in terms of receiving consistent secondary scoring from forwards not named John Tavares, Matt Moulson, or P.A Parenteau. Forsberg would definitely need time to develop before he is inserted into an NHL lineup, but if Garth Snow believes that he can find and sign a legitimate top-four defenseman via free agency, then it wouldn’t be all too surprising to see Forsberg donning and Islanders sweater on June 22nd. Forsberg might not be the prospect that the Islanders will have their eyes on when the NHL Draft rolls around, but the left winger is simply too good to pass up on if he falls into the middle-to-late stages of the first ten picks.
Read full article here:

http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl...the-islanders/

Joseph Wakeford presents an alternative point of view:

Islanders Possible Draft Targets
http://thehockeywriters.com/islander...draft-targets/

For in depth profile on Filip Forsberg, in the exclusive The Next Ones format:
http://thehockeywriters.com/filip-fo...spect-profile/

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:20 PM
StrongIslanders90

Great read.

Makes me feel even more that I want Murray...

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:31 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
They should try to trade up

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:32 PM
IslesNorway

Very good read and I also think there are some very realistic assumptions made there, including trading the pick, which I think may be the best option.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:35 PM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
They should try to trade up
On the contrary they should trade down. There is nothing worth trading up for in this draft unless it comes really cheaply. I'd be fine with going from 4th to 3rd overall for a 3rounder or something, but the way things are shaping up they could actually benefit from doing a 2008 all over again.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Renbarg

Snow doesn't draft forwards who don't skate well? Anders Lee is not exactly smooth, JT wasn't a great skater coming out, Strome isn't a strong skater, Brock Nelson looked very doofy on skates his first few years after the draft.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:32 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Snow doesn't draft forwards who don't skate well? Anders Lee is not exactly smooth, JT wasn't a great skater coming out, Strome isn't a strong skater, Brock Nelson looked very doofy on skates his first few years after the draft.
Uhhh hello!? Nino skates like he's skating in molasses...

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:10 PM
OlTimeHockey

To echo my sentiment every time these skating is the ultimate threads, Lee has smarts. Tavares has smarts. Nino is strong on his skates. Strome is solid on his feet as well. (never saw Nelson)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
To echo my sentiment every time these skating is the ultimate threads, Lee has smarts. Tavares has smarts. Nino is strong on his skates. Strome is solid on his feet as well. (never saw Nelson)
This is the thing to me.

You head about Bailey's hockey smarts, his hockey IQ...all that jazz.

I heard the same about Nino and Strome.

Garth puts mucho emphasis on the brains and hockey IQ of his draftees.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Brunomics

Say the Isles draft Forsberg, can they sign him to an entry level deal and bring him over to the AHL if he's ready for it?

FWIW I'm purely in the Galchenyuk camp. I feel ten years from now he'll be the clear cut best player from the draft.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Beastrt

This article is good but, it doesnt talk enough about the islanders drafting a forward. The only way i see the islanders taking a d-man is if Nail Yakupov, Filip Forsberg, and Alex Galchenyuk are takin 1,2,3. Murray and dumba are possible, but historically Garth drafts forwards in the first round. He has passed on guys like hamilton, gormely, fowler, schenn, myers. I know defense is the biggest need but it will be addressed in the 2nd round, via trades, and most likely for this season from within.

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Say the Isles draft Forsberg, can they sign him to an entry level deal and bring him over to the AHL if he's ready for it?

FWIW I'm purely in the Galchenyuk camp. I feel ten years from now he'll be the clear cut best player from the draft.
Forsberg turns 18 this summer.I think players have to be 20 to play in the AHL.

If the isles draft Forsberg,I expect he'll stay in Europe next season.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:26 PM
StrongIslanders90

Murray or Galchenyuk and call it a day...

Old
05-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Forsberg turns 18 this summer.I think players have to be 20 to play in the AHL.

If the isles draft Forsberg,I expect he'll stay in Europe next season.
He could play in the AHL though because he would be drafted out of Europe.

Last edited by Renbarg: 05-27-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:09 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
He could play in the AHL though because he was drafted out of Europe.
So only prospects from juniors and those leaving college early, have to be 20?

Interesting to know.Thanks for the info.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:24 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
So only prospects from juniors and those leaving college early, have to be 20?

Interesting to know.Thanks for the info.
I think it's just juniors

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:33 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
I think it's just juniors
It is a rule to protect their league. A kid can drop out of college any time and then he'd literally be in limbo if he had to wait til he was 20. Europeans can come over at 18 unless they are signed with their club - and I believe Forsberg is signed until 2013, so we can leave him alone.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:06 PM
LongIslandCircus

As much as many of these players intrigue me, this draft/offseason does not excite me in the least. Garth has already dished his inflated optimism of how the team is right on track, while results continue to stagnate.

Will the Isles draft a quality talent? I truly believe they will. But the addition of an 18 year old as our main transaction this summer is discouraging. Especially when our rebuild is so far behind schedule.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd much rather see the pick packaged for top pairing D man.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCircus View Post
As much as many of these players intrigue me, this draft/offseason does not excite me in the least. Garth has already dished his inflated optimism of how the team is right on track, while results continue to stagnate.

Will the Isles draft a quality talent? I truly believe they will. But the addition of an 18 year old as our main transaction this summer is discouraging. Especially when our rebuild is so far behind schedule.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd much rather see the pick packaged for top pairing D man.
Yep, if Snow continues the ho-hum offseason practices of recent summers, where everyone could see that one more top 2 Dman and top 6 forward likely could have meant a playoff spot, but were not obtained, then another top 10 pick should be expected next year.

Alas, we can do little more than enjoy the draft and then say our prayers that the team does something different and gives us something to look forward to.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Islander Prophet

We need to draft Murray at #4 if he's still there. If he's gone already, trade down to spot 6-7 and get Dumba

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:26 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
We need to draft Murray at #4 if he's still there. If he's gone already, trade down to spot 6-7 and get Dumba
This....

If hes gone trade down for one of Dumba,Ceci,Trouba,Reignhart, or Rielly

Old
05-28-2012, 07:17 PM
IslandersFan17

If we go d it has to be Murray or Rielly forget Dumba

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Hipster Doofus

Dumba has the offensive skill of Reilly and his defensive game can be reigned in. I wouldn't mind Reilly, but Dumba has to be the guy after Murray unless they are projecting more offense or soem **** from Reinhart/Trouba.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:37 AM
turbobrain
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
This is the thing to me.

You head about Bailey's hockey smarts, his hockey IQ...all that jazz.

I heard the same about Nino and Strome.

Garth puts mucho emphasis on the brains and hockey IQ of his draftees.
Perhaps it a chicken and an egg thing BUT Hockey IQ is very often, just like in other sports, something hard to teach. You can always improve strength, skating, passing, etc..but it is much harder to improve IQ. I think the elite players all have great hockey IQ, it is a pre-requiste...so Garth may be on to something..lol

turbobrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Dumba has the offensive skill of Reilly and his defensive game can be reigned in. I wouldn't mind Reilly, but Dumba has to be the guy after Murray unless they are projecting more offense or soem **** from Reinhart/Trouba.
Actually, I think Reinhart, Trouba and Maatta ALL are better prospects and better for the Islanders than Dumba.

The Dumbafest really needs to be lindered a bit. He's got the biggest hit-or-miss labelling of all the top 7-10 Dmen in this draft. The Isles cannot be taking a guy because he looks like he could be a fan-fave type.

I personally would even rather see Skjei be taken, the official rankings be damned. That kid just has more tools than Dumba.

Also, although I'm no expert on Rielly and I get a bit scared that a kid I've seen who didn't really impress or do anything special is now being talked about as some major second coming of Leetch or something after 21 points in 23 total WHL games, I will say that he is considered a puckmoving AND puckcarrying type. Dumba is more of your offensive weapon from the blueline-in type. You try to get him the puck so that he can one-time it.

Different types, but for the fans who really like Dumba as a prospect at this point, you really shouldn't be surprised if he goes later than you've thought he would. There are simply much more rounded prospects available at the top of the draft.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote