HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jamal Mayers re-signed to 1 yr extension

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-27-2012, 05:10 PM
  #51
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
agreed with what you said for the first 30 games of last season.....but from the all-star break on, what you claim he brings to the table, he really didnt at all. he can play a decent defensive game, but he hardly hits, hardly fights, and he certainly isnt going to contribute much offensively which he didnt do much of from the all-star break on.

teams that win in the playoffs need fourth line guys who contribute, the Devils and the Kings are prime examples of this as both teams have won because of their depth and how they helped out offensively. I do not see Mayers helping us out much at all this coming season.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=655

102 hits (with not a lot of ice time)
91 PIM

like i said, he knows his role and plays it well. and he's a fourth liner, it doesn't really matter if he puts up a lot points. that's what kane, toews, hossa, and sharp are for

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:11 PM
  #52
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,620
vCash: 500
It's a good point. If he wears down to the point of being healthy scratched in the playoffs, then what's the point?

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:20 PM
  #53
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=655

102 hits (with not a lot of ice time)
91 PIM

like i said, he knows his role and plays it well. and he's a fourth liner, it doesn't really matter if he puts up a lot points. that's what kane, toews, hossa, and sharp are for
that doesnt prove much of anything...the guy played 81 games this year, so your telling me as a 4th line grinder, the dude barely had a hit per game?? is that really what you want to use to justify his role?

if anything it proves my point, the guy isnt much of anything, and he rarely hits....Mike Ribeiro had nearly as many hits as him for Gods sake..

as for him not putting up points, yes it greatly matters...thats why the Devils are in the finals because of guys like Ryan Carter...and the Kings are in the finals because of guys like King and Lewis...these guys are contributing offensively and playing their role.

we had a team in 2010 that did this, our 4th line was better then many teams 3rd lines....thats why we won the cup, because of our overall depth, not just because of Toews, Kane, Sharp, or Hossa.

you cannot convince me this is a good thing when we bring back a guy who is well on his last legs, isnt as physical as he should be, and doesnt really fight anymore either... would rather have Asham or Crabb (not a fighter, but heck of a grinder and contributes) then Mayers...hands down.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:26 PM
  #54
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
what is he supposed to have 8000 hits a season? mike ribeiro also plays a lot more minutes a game. he averaged more than twice as much ice time as mayers. 102 hits is fine

you seem like someone who's very hard to please. it's not like mayers is being overpaid. and expecting everyone on the team to put up great offensive numbers is ridiculous. the most points mayers ever put up in an nhl season is 27

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:31 PM
  #55
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
what is he supposed to have 8000 hits a season? mike ribeiro also plays a lot more minutes a game. he averaged more than twice as much ice time as mayers

you seem like someone who's very hard to please. it's not like mayers is being overpaid. and expecting everyone on the team to put up great offensive numbers is ridiculous. typical hawks fan
he should have much more then that when his role is EXACTLY THAT!

I understand he has limited ice time, but you cannot convince me he has value when he really doesnt do anything above average, especially the areas at which we have him on the ice for...

as for offensive numbers, I really dont think you watch the game closely, because if you did you would understand how important a 4th line is, and when you have a fourth line that is capable of contributing offensively, it will take you far.

I am not expecting our 4th line to score tons of goals, not sure why you even state that, I am pointing out that a guy like Mayers isnt going to help us out offensively down the stretch when his ass is out of gas, benched, or scratched...just dont get it at all. there are better options then him, end of story.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:32 PM
  #56
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
and mayers had 11 fights last season


Last edited by Majik1987: 05-27-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: flaming
TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:34 PM
  #57
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
there are much better things to ***** about than signing jamal mayers to a one year deal with a very small cap hit

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:36 PM
  #58
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
and mayers had 11 fights last season
I understand his numbers...his hits, his goals, his fights, but notice what I have been saying this entire time...I will say it one more time : DOWN THE STRETCH, THIS GUY DID NOTHING FOR US....he might have fought more early in the year, he certainly hit more early in the year, and I do remember him producing a bit early in the year, but from the all-star break on, I simply cannot remember much of anything he did.

The only thing that does stand out to me is after Torres crunched Hossa, I saw Bollig go right after Torres, but Mayers really hung back and just grabbed a Yote in the pile...I would have expected him to lead the charge against Mayers, but I guess I expected too much from him there as well...

this is how I recall it as both Bollig and Mayers were on the ice with Hossa...I clearly remember Mayers not going after Torres, not sure why I remember that


Last edited by Majik1987: 05-27-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: qe and response
AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:41 PM
  #59
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I understand his numbers...his hits, his goals, his fights, but notice what I have been saying this entire time...I will say it one more time : DOWN THE STRETCH, THIS GUY DID NOTHING FOR US....he might have fought more early in the year, he certainly hit more early in the year, and I do remember him producing a bit early in the year, but from the all-star break on, I simply cannot remember much of anything he did.

The only thing that does stand out to me is after Torres crunched Hossa, I saw Bollig go right after Torres, but Mayers really hung back and just grabbed a Yote in the pile...I would have expected him to lead the charge against Mayers, but I guess I expected too much from him there as well...
if you understood his fights, hits, and offensive numbers throughout his career, then you wouldn't have brought it up in the first place. those numbers were fine last season. i don't understand how you can ***** about them. they are consistent with the rest of his career

and i agree he wore down, but that doesn't mean he will this season. again, his cap hit and one year deal do very little harm to the hawks, even if mayers has a bad season. there are better things to ***** about

and look what happened to bollig when he went after torres. got kicked out of the game right after. maybe mayers was being smart, taking a number, and waiting to go after him when the time is right


Last edited by Majik1987: 05-27-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: qe and response
TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 06:16 PM
  #60
clydesdale line
Registered User
 
clydesdale line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,412
vCash: 500
I'm with you as far as Bowman's love affair with old vets, but at least this guy fits our style. Good skater (the only vet he signed who was), gritty, good forchecker, solid defensively, plays our style of puck possession, etc. If you wanna blame anyone, blame Q for sticking him at center most of the year and burning him most of the year. (or Bowman for not acquiring another bottom 6 center)


Last edited by Majik1987: 05-27-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: qdp and response
clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 06:26 PM
  #61
DayNah
Ship it donk!
 
DayNah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Great signing.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 06:40 PM
  #62
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale line View Post
I'm with you as far as Bowman's love affair with old vets, but at least this guy fits our style. Good skater (the only vet he signed who was), gritty, good forchecker, solid defensively, plays our style of puck possession, etc. If you wanna blame anyone, blame Q for sticking him at center most of the year and burning him most of the year. (or Bowman for not acquiring another bottom 6 center)
definitely agree with all of that. mayers should not have been at center

i'd like to see a fourth line of carcillo/slater/mayers. coldsteel got me really into the idea of slater as the 4th line center


Last edited by Majik1987: 05-27-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: qe
TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:40 PM
  #63
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: Fiji
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 1
I'm fine with this.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:16 AM
  #64
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Mayers will be our #12/#13 forward and he signed for cheap. He knows the team and adds something we need to the team. He knows his role and is good for about 60 games. Nothing wrong with this signing

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:53 AM
  #65
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets
 
Atomic Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Panama
Country: United States
Posts: 8,794
vCash: 50
I don't mind it. But I am hoping he only plays 50% of the games. I guess stan is on the geriatric signing train......

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:13 AM
  #66
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,630
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
If he and Bollig split time as the 13th forward it's a solid signing. If he's expected to be a regular contributor... Not so much.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:38 PM
  #67
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Don't think Bollig has a future with a healthy Carcillo. Mayers should be our #13 going into next year

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:38 PM
  #68
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
It's a good point. If he wears down to the point of being healthy scratched in the playoffs, then what's the point?
A "worn down" Jamal Mayers is still a better hockey player than Brandon Bollig, who was playing over Mayers.

He wasn't scratched because he was worn down.. I have no idea why he was.. but a 40-year-old Jamal Mayers > Brandon Bollig.

I'd be perfectly happy with a fourth line of Carcillo - Burish - Mayers, with Bollig as the 13th forward who comes in and out for Mayers depending on who you're playing.. but with Mayers still getting 55-65 games.

HockeySensible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:48 PM
  #69
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
A "worn down" Jamal Mayers is still a better hockey player than Brandon Bollig, who was playing over Mayers.

He wasn't scratched because he was worn down.. I have no idea why he was.. but a 40-year-old Jamal Mayers > Brandon Bollig.

I'd be perfectly happy with a fourth line of Carcillo - Burish - Mayers, with Bollig as the 13th forward who comes in and out for Mayers depending on who you're playing.. but with Mayers still getting 55-65 games.
He seemed a bit worn down to me. But yeah I agree. If they give him some more games off here and there, he's probably going to be a bit fresher for the playoffs. I thought he was a good addition last year.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:41 PM
  #70
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
I hope that Krüger would be our 4th Line C because we added a guy like Pavelski and still have good Wing depth in the Top9

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:54 PM
  #71
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I hope that Krüger would be our 4th Line C because we added a guy like Pavelski and still have good Wing depth in the Top9
Even better - if they trade for Pavelski...include Kruger in the package to San Jose.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:11 AM
  #72
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
why if we can get him without giving him away? Krüger would not be the dealbreaker

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:15 AM
  #73
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
why if we can get him without giving him away? Krüger would not be the dealbreaker
Better than dealing someone else with actual offensive potential.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:19 AM
  #74
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,379
vCash: 10592
I'm fine with it as 13th forward, he was solid and at least Bowman didn't double his salary. But if he is the 4th line center going into the season, it's another ****ed move. He clearly wore down during the second half and it got to the point where he didn't even dress at the end of the season. This is a good guy to have on the team to play spot duty and keep him fresh.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:41 PM
  #75
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
...well, my major fear was realized today....we signed ODUYA...

I *****ed about Mayers and Emery because it seemed like a pattern of rewarding players contracts on a team that underperformed...and now we have Oduya.

I said something is wrong with Bowman and I 100% stand by that comment right now. Unless this man pulls Ryan Suter out of his ass, the Mayers signing is just a joke that has kicked off a landslide of sucktitude...

these past few days have really sucked because the wind has been taken out of my sails in hopes of the 2012-13 season...well in advance of when that usually happens...

hey disgruntled, how much you want for your user name??? I am thinking about using that one for this upcoming season.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.