HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part V (Santana throws first no-hitter in Mets history)

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Tex is heating up.

Old
05-26-2012, 07:15 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Johan is just insane. I can't imagine how good this guy was in his prime. He's a joy to watch.

Best pitcher in baseball during a 3-year span (04-06).

Old
05-26-2012, 07:37 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
He's just so crafty. It's a cliche, but he just knows how to pitch. It's great watching him.

Old
05-26-2012, 07:51 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollololBoyle View Post
The Mets good play won't last long. That lineup is bad.
They've lasted quite a while I don't see them getting much worse. Their bullpen is finally getting OK, too. So, in reality, they should stay the same or get a bit better.

And if Davis can find his game, well then.

Old
05-26-2012, 08:03 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Tex is heating up.

Robbie Cano too for the past couple weeks.

It wouldnt be the first time Yanks are struggling in April/May. They'll be fine. Orioles will cool off. I think Rays take the division but it'll be a dog fight right to the end.

Old
05-26-2012, 08:03 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
They've lasted quite a while I don't see them getting much worse. Their bullpen is finally getting OK, too. So, in reality, they should stay the same or get a bit better.

And if Davis can find his game, well then.
Tejada is still out and he was playing some good ball before he got hurt. Thole is still out and the catching has been fine with Johnson and Nickeas, which btw Johnson should stay over Nickeas in spite of the GS he hit today.

If Ike can start hitting this team has a chance to be in it around the deadline and at that point anything is possible.

Old
05-27-2012, 06:30 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

All hail Dickey.

Old
05-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Kershaw

Mets will miss postseason again. Too many players playing above their heads.

Old
05-27-2012, 06:33 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Mets have a death stretch coming up into late June. Rough schedule is putting it nicely.

05-27-2012, 06:35 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I've always said a healthy Johan Santana is the best pitcher in baseball.

And im a Yankee fan.

Old
05-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
I've always said a healthy Johan Santana is the best pitcher in baseball.

And im a Yankee fan.
I think Doc was better in that 3 yr stretch.

Best pitcher in baseball is Strasburg imo.

Old
05-27-2012, 06:46 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Mets will miss postseason again. Too many players playing above their heads.
Like who?

As mentioned, our bullpen has been playing far below what they should be and Davis playing worse than Bay ever has and we've still been winning.

Wright will cool off a bit but I expect him to stay around .300 all year.

Who's really been that above their head? Santana is finally healthy. Dickey is getting better and better (as he learns command of the KB).

I think that they will miss the postseason, too, but only by a game or two. You act as if you expect them to lose 30 straight.

Old
05-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Kershaw

They will miss by 10+ games.

Dickey's WHIP is way above his career normals.

David Wright won't have a .500 OBP all year long.

Miguel Batista's run won't last long.

Santana will get injured.

The bullpen is really bad. Jon Rauch and Francisco and very bad pitchers. Just skim through the Blue Jay threads last year on what they thought of those two.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:11 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Rauch and Francisco will be fine in the NL. I'm not worried about them at all.

Why will Santana "get hurt"?

Dickey is also a growing pitcher. He's still learning how to throw the KB properly.

You make an awful lot of ridiculous assumptions.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:13 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

The bullpen is really bad. Jon Rauch and Francisco and very bad pitchers. Just skim through the Blue Jay threads last year on what they thought of those two.
The bullpen has been playing really bad, but they're actual not "very bad" pitchers. They're average relievers who are a significant upgrade over our bullpen last year.

If Wright reverts to EXACTLY his career normals starting tomorrow, he'd still average an .850 OPS. All his peripherals are closer to what they were when he was a 7 WAR player. His BABIP is very high and will revert, but unless he suddenly becomes a giant scrub and is even WORSE than he was the last two years, he'll still have a superstar season.

Santana getting injured would basically ruin our chances, or if we flip him for a top prospect ala Tron for Wheeler, but you can't assume he'll get injured.

And what run is Miguel Batista on? He's awful.

It's also hard to use Dickey's "career norms" when his actual career is really only 3 years long, unless that's what you did.

I agree with you, I don't think they'll make the PO's, but they should be in contention for a while. Only really alarming thing is our run differential, which might catch up to us eventually.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:23 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Before the season, I was cautiously optimistic about the Mets, and I still hold that to be true.

Also, let's not forget how BAD Ike has been and that if he can put it together at some point that the team will become better offensively. His rookie season was awesome, but him missing so much time last year is coming back to haunt a young player like him. I'm expecting him to turn it around in the next month or so and provide a spark to the offense in the middle of the season.

They currently hold the 4th best record in the NL and it's not like they haven't beaten good teams either.

Their next 8 series are against teams over .500 (Phillies, Cards, Nats, Yanks x2, Rays, Reds, and Orioles) which is almost exactly a month from today. If they can come out of that even (11-11, 38-32), they'll be in a good spot. Not spectacular, but in a good spot.

Last edited by mrjimmyg89: 05-27-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old
05-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The bullpen has been playing really bad, but they're actual not "very bad" pitchers. They're average relievers who are a significant upgrade over our bullpen last year.

If Wright reverts to EXACTLY his career normals starting tomorrow, he'd still average an .850 OPS. All his peripherals are closer to what they were when he was a 7 WAR player. His BABIP is very high and will revert, but unless he suddenly becomes a giant scrub and is even WORSE than he was the last two years, he'll still have a superstar season.

Santana getting injured would basically ruin our chances, or if we flip him for a top prospect ala Tron for Wheeler, but you can't assume he'll get injured.

And what run is Miguel Batista on? He's awful.

It's also hard to use Dickey's "career norms" when his actual career is really only 3 years long, unless that's what you did.

I agree with you, I don't think they'll make the PO's, but they should be in contention for a while. Only really alarming thing is our run differential, which might catch up to us eventually
This is also primarily what I'm basing it on. They should be a sub .500 team with that differential. Their pythagorean winning percentag is 21-26. They will cool back down to earth. Nats/Braves/Marlins/Phillies will finish better.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:26 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
This is also primarily what I'm basing it on. They should be a sub .500 team with that differential. Their pythagorean winning percentag is 21-26. They will cool back down to earth. Nats/Braves/Marlins/Phillies will finish better.
I doubt we finish last in the division.

This team can easily finish 2nd behind the Nats (who I picked to win the division). I think that the entire East is on relatively equal footing.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:27 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Before the season, I was cautiously optimistic about the Mets, and I still hold that to be true.

Also, let's not forget how BAD Ike has been and that if he can put it together at some point that the team will become better offensively. His rookie season was awesome, but him missing so much time last year is coming back to haunt a young player like him. I'm expecting him to turn it around in the next month or so and provide a spark to the offense in the middle of the season.

They currently hold the 4th best record in the NL and it's not like they haven't beaten good teams either.
Exactly. It's ridiculous to just assume this team will completely implode. For that to happen, Ike, the bullpen, etc. would all have to not improve and other bad things would have to occur. I don't see all that happening.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:39 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Exactly. It's ridiculous to just assume this team will completely implode. For that to happen, Ike, the bullpen, etc. would all have to not improve and other bad things would have to occur. I don't see all that happening.
With the injuries they have been dealing with so far (Pelfrey, Bay, Tejada, Thole, Torres etc) it's kind of hard to believe that it hasn't happened yet, but I just think this is a young team that doesn't think about players being out and are just going out there and having fun playing baseball.

Nieuwenhuis has been a very good player for them as well. Like his attitude towards the game and he goes all out.

I also don't see the issue for the Mets pen except for Francisco possibly going Armando Benitez 2.0 on the team and the lack of another good LH arm. Ramirez has been solid. Parnell is finding his game. Byrdak is a monster. Rauch has been a good player. Acosta has had some dreadful performances and is too up and down for me, but when he is on, he pitches well. So you're looking at 1-2 guys that aren't ideal in spots, but everyone else is.

If this team is in contention come deadline, I'm expecting Sandy to make a move for another reliever, especially a lefty to bolster the bullpen.

Old
05-27-2012, 08:21 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Mets remind me of the 1997 team. That was a patchwork roster if I'd ever seen one, but for the most part, they had young guys (Alfonso, Huskey, Hundley) step up.

That staff was held together by dental floss, but they got the job done and ate innings. Mlicki, Reed, Jones, Clark -- that 1997 team gave Mets fans hope. They were strong again in 1998, and 1999 and 2000 were great seasons.

Mets are on the way up. I like their style.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:11 PM
darko

Quote:
I think Doc was better in that 3 yr stretch.

04-06? He wasnt. Doc was injured in 04 and 05 (40 starts over 2 seasons).

Doc - 3.71, 2.89, 3.45 xFIP
Johan - 3.01, 3.12, 3.16 xFIP

2002 till today, Doc has hands down been the best pitcher in baseball over that span. A model of consistency. Johan was better during the 3 year stretch mentioned above.

Quote:
Best pitcher in baseball is Strasburg imo.

Nope. Not yet anyways. I'll take few guys over him right now. Hamels, Verlander, Kershaw.

If Stras can stay healthy he can win multiple Cy Youngs down the track. As a Yankees fan I'm glad both him and Kershaw are in NL. If Hamels leaves Philly I hope he signs with NL team.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:25 PM
darko

Quote:

David Wright will come back to earth. His current .451 BABIP is unsustainable. No player since 2002 has ended the season with BABIP higher tha .400. It'll catch up with him.

I'm not knocking on Wright, just pointing out the numbers. If the season ended now David Wright probably wins NL MVP.

You cant predict Santana getting injured lol. I do agree with your comment about Mets run differential. Mets are somewhere in the middle from where you think they are and where Jonathan and other Mets fans (last few posts) think they are.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:31 PM
30theking

Jeter passes george brett for 14th all time on the all time hit list. Next up is iron man cal ripken jr. Just a matter of time before he's in the top ten.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:37 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Mets remind me of the 1997 team. That was a patchwork roster if I'd ever seen one, but for the most part, they had young guys (Alfonso, Huskey, Hundley) step up.

That staff was held together by dental floss, but they got the job done and ate innings. Mlicki, Reed, Jones, Clark -- that 1997 team gave Mets fans hope. They were strong again in 1998, and 1999 and 2000 were great seasons.

Mets are on the way up. I like their style.

They are but they need to cut some dead weight. Jason Bay, Frank Francisco. Trading Beltran for Zach Wheeler was a great move regardless how well Beltran is doing with Cards. He wasnt working out with Mets simple as that. Wheeler is destroying AA. Harvey has been decent in AAA, same as Familia. Nimmo, Puello, Mejia, Fulmer. Flores and Rodriguez are wildcards. Keep on drafting well. What they need to do is not let players like Jose Reyes walk for minimal return. Reyes could've fetched quite abit at the deadline. Beltran fetched Wheeler.

Closed Thread