HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers have ca$h, just donít know how much

Old
05-27-2012, 06:43 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

vCash: 500
Spend the money wisely and get some depth that this team needs. Let the kids grow and play it from there going into the next season when there are a lot better and a deeper group UFA's to be going after.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Marian Gaborik isn't going to be the deciding factor into keeping fans in the seats.

He's the same guy this fan base is crying over to get rid over, so why would they be so excited to get him? They'd want prospects and picks for Nash, not a 30 year old no heart, 7 mill cap hit, impeding UFA in two years. Makes no sense and Columbus wouldn't even think once about it.
Playing Devils advocate here:

Nash could very well force his hand against Howson. He may give an ultimatum and only want to be traded to New York(granted unlikely).

I agree that Gabs for Nash would never happen. But they could do a three way trade with another team.

Nash only works on this team anyways if Gabs is headed somewhere else. Salary cap wise, it does not make any sense to have both.

Realistically, Gabs is staying and Nash is not coming here.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i'm not expecting major changes but i'm also not sure i'm cool with just coming back with virtually the same team. there are several flaws and issues with the team that were problems all year, its not just all an overreaction to losing to nj

and yeah you can look at our lack of scoring and say that dubi will bounce back, plus kreider will have a big rookie year so then add another 20 from david jones and we are in great shape...but i remember saying the same thing last summer and arguing that if you replace drury's 1 goal with richards normal production and gaborik has a bounce back year we'll be fine offensively. well we got that added production from gaborik and richards and the overall offense didn't get any better cause of huge dropoffs from boyle, dubi, etc.

but the biggest question mark is do you REALLY trust a #1 line of hagelin-richards-gaborik to get the job done in the post season? obviously a better supporting cast would help them but are we really going to count on again that as the #1 line?
I agree with this point. Hags should not be on a first line. Outside of speed, the kid doesn't have the tools(not yet anyways) to compliment either Richie or Gabs. He is a bubble 2nd liner/3rd line player(a very good one mind you). They need a more physical presence with skill. Krieder may be exactly what they need, but it might be asking a little much for him to be on our first line so quickly.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:44 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i'm not expecting major changes but i'm also not sure i'm cool with just coming back with virtually the same team. there are several flaws and issues with the team that were problems all year, its not just all an overreaction to losing to nj

and yeah you can look at our lack of scoring and say that dubi will bounce back, plus kreider will have a big rookie year so then add another 20 from david jones and we are in great shape...but i remember saying the same thing last summer and arguing that if you replace drury's 1 goal with richards normal production and gaborik has a bounce back year we'll be fine offensively. well we got that added production from gaborik and richards and the overall offense didn't get any better cause of huge dropoffs from boyle, dubi, etc.

but the biggest question mark is do you REALLY trust a #1 line of hagelin-richards-gaborik to get the job done in the post season? obviously a better supporting cast would help them but are we really going to count on again that as the #1 line?
No team ever returns the exact same lineup.

Looking at the UFA forwards the only big talents are Parise, Selanne and Semin and then there's Shane Doan who is 35 and not having his bio in front of me--his contract might like Selanne's be a 35+ contract which isn't a smart idea if you sign him long term--though it is unlikely that Doan leaves the organization he's played all his professional career for.

Personally I wouldn't want Semin and what's more I don't think Torts would either. That leaves Parise or a trade. Parise to me seems unlikely as well and as for trades other teams are going to want at least one of Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto, McDonagh -+ other players, draft picks for their scoring forwards and to me it's like robbing Peter to pay Paul--you may solve one problem but at the same time you create another.

This also goes against the grain of how the Rangers have been building their team--by drafting, developing and holding onto key young players while at the same time being shrewd on the free agent market. There's really not a lot of our guys who came via the trade route--Boyle for a draft pick, Prust as part of the Jokinen deal, Mitchell for a draft pick and McDonagh in the Gomez deal and that was a Gomez has to go for whatever you can get deal. Bickel for an AHL bum. The Rangers have not really built their team on trades. The free agent market is a better way to go because you get players without trading players and whether you fix the problem from signing a player or not you still don't create another problem.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:50 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The cap percentage may go down but the dollars won't go down in 2012. The NBA players got a freeze in their cap to let the dollars grow and percentages catch up with the lower cap number. That's the only possible solution here. There are too many teams near the cap right now to allow a more restrictive system put in place.

Revenue sharing will be the hottest topic of the negotiation. The players want to see many more dollars flowing from the rich teams to the poorer teams. I've heard that there is a lot of acrimony between the owners on this issue. The players will be pouring gas on this fire. Fehr got baseball teams to accept more revenue sharing and it's led to greater equity in baseball for the first time in many years. Bettman won't be negotiating with rank amateurs this time around.

And as for the Phoenix UFAs, Doan will be in Phoenix as long as there is a Phoenix. If this thing collapses he becomes a very valued free agent. Whitney is 40 and looked it during the playoffs. This is his last payday and if someone (not the Coyotes) comes up with a 2 year contract that's where he will be going. Taylor Pyatt might be a nice 4th line get. Rozsival could also be a 7th defenseman candidate. Both would need to be bargain basement pickups.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:04 PM
XLJ

If we can add Schultz and trade for someone like Setoguchi, I would be happy with our offseason moves. We just need to add a little more offense to our current group. I dont think we need to have a big shakeup to our roster.

Brooks thinks Prust could get more than 1.7 million per year on the open market . I like Prust but paying him that much is crazy. IMO he is not worth more than 1.1-1.3million per year.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:52 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I'm probably in the extreme minority but I would LOVE to see Semin sign here.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
I'm probably in the extreme minority but I would LOVE to see Semin sign here.
Probably wouldn't get through Camp Torturella

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Bring back Feds, Prust and Mitchell. One year contracts. Mitchell, of course, the 13th forward if possible.

DZ is definitely coming back. He's growing. Give him a few years. Stralman won himself a contract. Solid playoffs. Keep Eminger and Bickel as spares.

I'm all for getting a speedy, goal scoring winger and I'm all for keeping 95% of the team. Of course you gotta give up something to get something.

Florida Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Probably wouldn't get through Camp Torturella
Then let him walk.

Okay, the system was kinda boring and defensive, but it was pure team hockey. Loved it. Tortorella had the boys in sync. The last games of our season looked like Renney defense, but it is what it is.

Florida Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:41 PM
ltrangerfan

Random thoughts:

1)A strike lockout in this eco environment ... not a chance.

2)First priority for Rangers.... PP second priority... PP

a)Someone to QB powerplay? Someone who can't be moved in front?

Probably Nash secondary poss Calgary's Iggy

3)If Nash goes to NY...MDZ doesn't return. Kreider is now an untouchable.

4)Columbus to move Nash in Summer. Rangers can't play same game again without bona fide PP threat. Other teams will free cap space to make run at Nash so Rangers probably will have to pay or pass.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Fanned On It

Get Davey Jones on this team for the sole reason that my nickname is Davey Jones! NOW!

And besides, I could see him fitting our profile and adding some actual offensively talented depth to our team. It's a shame some of our younger prospects aren't ready yet.

And his name.... my freakin sneakers say "Davey Jones" on them for christ's sake! We'll see what happens though... I just want SOME kind of scoring added to this team for next season. It's a shame Zucc is going Euro, I guess Torts just doesn't want him with this team or what?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, etc should not stop you from signing Zach Parise.

No frikkin way.

If signing Parise means we have to trade Dubi, AA, etc for some picks or prospects going forward, then so be it.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
trade like our next two 1st and something else for a top 10 or something

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Marian Gaborik isn't going to be the deciding factor into keeping fans in the seats.

He's the same guy this fan base is crying over to get rid over, so why would they be so excited to get him? They'd want prospects and picks for Nash, not a 30 year old no heart, 7 mill cap hit, impeding UFA in two years. Makes no sense and Columbus wouldn't even think once about it.
Jeff Carter is just as good as Nash and on a much better contract and he brought back Jack Johnson and a first.

Getting back a 40 goal scorer in Gaborik is the best return (production-wise) that Columbus will get for a guy who is overpaid until the end of the century and has asked to be traded.

The only way I could see Gaborik waiving his NTC there is if he really feels he's not wanted in NY and likes the idea of playing in a place where there's no pressure to win and then he's free to sign wherever he wants in two years. I bet when he hits UFA, he signs a short-term deal with Chicago and plays with Hossa, who he's always had incredible chemistry with.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:47 AM
theJUMPER

Somebody tell me why Shultz isn't another Matt Gilroy, please?

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:34 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
imo it's going to cost more than 7.5 for him to come to a rival(if he is even still on the market).

and kreider on the 4th line with dubi on the first? i dont know if that's real speculation or just placeholders, but if it's actual line thoughts. you lost me at hello.
Those weren't actual lines. Obviously it was just random placement. Kreider and others who aren't listed on our roster in capgeek, and I placed them randomly.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Where does $66.6M come from?
Larry Brooks says that next year's cap would be $76 as of the current contract, which is 57%. If 57%=$76, then 50%=$66.67.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:16 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Larry Brooks says that next year's cap would be $76 as of the current contract, which is 57%. If 57%=$76, then 50%=$66.67.
Summer cap

Quote:
The Blueshirts will have approximately $20 million of space under a summer cap that’s likely to be in the neighborhood of $76M, but it’s impossible to know whether the 2012-13 cap will exceed, be equal to, or decrease from last season’s $64.3M when it’s reset under the new collective bargaining agreement.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1wA5vGqtP

From July 1 until the last day of training,teams are allowed to exceed the upper limit by 10%. The upper limit is set at $70M. $77M summer cap. The summer cap includes Redden's $6.5M. All 1 way contracts count in the summer cap.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:30 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The cap percentage may go down but the dollars won't go down in 2012. The NBA players got a freeze in their cap to let the dollars grow and percentages catch up with the lower cap number. That's the only possible solution here. There are too many teams near the cap right now to allow a more restrictive system put in place.

Revenue sharing will be the hottest topic of the negotiation. The players want to see many more dollars flowing from the rich teams to the poorer teams. I've heard that there is a lot of acrimony between the owners on this issue. The players will be pouring gas on this fire. Fehr got baseball teams to accept more revenue sharing and it's led to greater equity in baseball for the first time in many years. Bettman won't be negotiating with rank amateurs this time around.

And as for the Phoenix UFAs, Doan will be in Phoenix as long as there is a Phoenix. If this thing collapses he becomes a very valued free agent. Whitney is 40 and looked it during the playoffs. This is his last payday and if someone (not the Coyotes) comes up with a 2 year contract that's where he will be going. Taylor Pyatt might be a nice 4th line get. Rozsival could also be a 7th defenseman candidate. Both would need to be bargain basement pickups.
The teams need to responsible for how much money they spend. If they spend too much this summer and get stuck,that's their problem. You look at how much money teams have committed for next season,a handful of teams are really pressing up against the $64.3M upper limit.

Stern got the NBA owners to share more revenue. The NBA minimum payroll/floor increased in the NBA. It was 75% of the cap in the previous CBA.

Quote:
The minimum team salary will be 80 percent of the salary cap in 2011-12, 85 percent in í12-í13 and 90 percent in í13-í14. (Note: This was previously reported to be 85% for both 2011-12 and 2012-13.) 80 percent of a presumed $58 million is $46.4 million.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/details-of...in-the-new-cba

The NHL doesn't use %s but its 75%. $48.225M is 75% of $64.3M. The floor is $48.3M. Increase the floor to 80%-85%. The revenue sharing dollars help those teams reach the new floor. The NHL saves money with the players % lowered.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:01 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post
Somebody tell me why Shultz isn't another Matt Gilroy, please?
Schultz has been the top defenseman in the NCAA the last two years. And he's only a 21 year old Junior.

He's smart. Capable in his own end, and unlike Gilroy, who i liked very much, Schultz has elite vision, hands, passing, and has a high-end shot.

Gilroy was a 24 year old Senior.

They are not comparable at all.

Its like comparing Leetch and McCabe.

Schultz is on another stratosphere than Gilroy.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:26 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Wait a minute. If they want to remove a teams ability to bury a bad contract in the minors and there might not be a compliance buyout, could the Rangers possibly be stuck with Redden on the NHL salary cap for next season?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:40 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I rarely do this but thus is my fantasy NHL13 offseason:

Trade Dubinsky, AA, McI, Thomas, and a 1st this season for Ryan and rights to Schultz.

Sign Jones, Guastad, and Brad Stuart.

Re-sign Prust, Biron, and Mitchell if the money is right. Maybe Feds.

If there is a compliance buyouts, bye bye Redden and Rupp.

Kreider/Ryan - Richards/Stepan - Gaborik
Ryan/Kreider - Stepan/Richards - Callahan
Hagelin - Guastad - Jones
Yogan/Mitchell/Feds- Boyle - Prust
Mitchell

McD - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
MDZ - Stuart
Sauer (Hopefully healthy and eased back into playing)

Old
05-28-2012, 07:46 AM
RangersChamps2417

What do you guys think about Stempniak as a third line or possibly second line player?

RangersChamps2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:52 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersChamps2417 View Post
What do you guys think about Stempniak as a third line or possibly second line player?
Not really a fan of him. Not a second line player on the Rangers nor do I think he would be a good third liner either.