HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Potential Lockout Thread

Old
05-27-2012, 08:00 PM
LordsCup*

vCash: 500
The Potential Lockout Thread

Hope its alright with the Mods to have this thread, as terrible as it may be just thinking about a lockout again, but fact is, the threat is VERY real that we may lose another season.

Over the next few weeks after the season ends im sure there will be a ton of discussion over this topic.

As of now the Rookie Tournament in Taverse City has been canceled due to the risk of a lockout, and the Rangers trip to Europe to start the regular season has been canceled as well.

I'll start it off with Fehr, head of the NHLPA's message to the players from a few days ago:

Quote:
His message to players is that NHL owners are going to come at us with Ginsu knives on the end of samurai swords,” says Mike Liut, the former NHL goalie who is now a player agent. “The owners are going to come hard and if the players don’t put their hands up, they will end up decapitated.”
The temptation for NHL owners to squeeze the union will be strong. They have watched as other major sports unions have given up concessions. The NBA, for instance, had committed 57 per cent of its revenue to player salaries. But under its most recent labour contract, the NBA and its players union agreed to a 50-50 split. NFL players receive about 48 per cent of league revenues.

The NHL remains at 57 per cent going to salaries. A former NHL official who has worked closely with league commissioner Gary Bettman said he expects the first offer would see the players receive 46 to 48 per cent of overall revenue.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...abour-showdown

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I don't want to hear about it.

Both sides keep quiet and get a ****ing deal done, then talk to us.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

I am hoping the players stand up for themselves and don't allow more corporate greed to have its way. When NHL players start making MLB/NFL/NBA money, then the owners can start barking, until then, **** off.

Do AHL teams continue playing if the NHL is locked out? If not I guess we will all be streaming KHL/CHL games.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:17 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I don't want to hear about it.

Both sides keep quiet and get a ****ing deal done, then talk to us.
Trust me, im in your boat. The ****ing thought about having no NHL hockey for another year would kill me.

With Bettman never gives an inch, and apparently this Fehr guy is suppose to be some jackass who doesn't give an inch either. That a disaster waiting to happen.

Old
05-27-2012, 08:18 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
I am hoping the players stand up for themselves and don't allow more corporate greed to have its way. When NHL players start making MLB/NFL/NBA money, then the owners can start barking, until then, **** off.

Do AHL teams continue playing if the NHL is locked out? If not I guess we will all be streaming KHL/CHL games.
Yes they do thankfully. I remember MSG actually aired like 6-8 WolfPack games during the lockout. Players like Kreider would play there in case of a lockout.

Old
05-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I would be incredibly surprised if there were an extended lockout, or really even a lockout. There is no philosophical divide this time between the players and the owners, just a numbers one. Numbers can and will be compromised upon. I'm not worried about it.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Yes they do thankfully. I remember MSG actually aired like 6-8 WolfPack games during the lockout. Players like Kreider would play there in case of a lockout.
Great! I was planning on taking my son to a few Whale games this coming season, glad I still can.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:58 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I see this as more of a 94-95 lockout than an 04-05 one. There's no way they miss two full seasons in a decade, if that actually happens, both Bettman and Fehr should be excommunicated from North America yet alone their NHL jobs.

Missing a full season while bad for the Rangers, Flyers, etc. would absolutely destroy Phoenix, Islanders, and kill any momentum the Jets created.

One huge problem is the realignment; it needs to be shot down. Glad the NHLPA rejected it. It's going to do horrible things to small market teams. How can the Canes compete long term being stuck in a Division/Conference/etc. with NYR, NJD, NYI, PHI, WAS, PIT? Jets, Columbus, etc. would face similar problems.

There will be major buyouts; Gomez, Luongo (if not traded), Redden, Bryzgalov, and even Ehrhoff will all be buyout victims.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I get sick thinking about this. Im already in withdrawal for Rangers hockey. Thinking about a lockout is painful.

I just hope the two sides agree quickly.

I really don't want that realignment of the divisions, either. Our division is tough enough as it is.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:06 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I get sick thinking about this. Im already in withdrawal for Rangers hockey. Thinking about a lockout is painful.

I just hope the two sides agree quickly.

I really don't want that realignment of the divisions, either. Our division is tough enough as it is.
Agreed on all points. The Division idea is just dumb.

Last lockout the winter was very empty....I was also in the best shape of my life But it just doesn't feel right without hockey. It's taken the league a few years to get interest back a lot having to do with Crosby and Ovechkin but more importantly because teams in major markets like New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago have become relevant again.

They have too good a thing going. Don't blow another opportunity.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Another full winter without hockey would be a disaster.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Let's go, Owners! Dun dun dun dun
Let's go, Owners!

05-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

could you imagine if there were two lockouts in the span of 8 years? hockey will get even less respect than it already does. not that i give a **** what non hockey fans think but still it wont look good if your trying to get people interested in the game.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

I will be devastated, If this happens Lundqvist will be going to be 32 going into the next season, we need to get him a cup

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:26 PM
free0717

I think we are going to miss a couple of months for sure. Actually not so bad for the Rangers with there deep run. Give the players an extra couple of months of training.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
There are not many things that make me emotional enough to actually sob like a five year old.

A lockout would be one of those things.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I think we are going to miss a couple of months for sure. Actually not so bad for the Rangers with there deep run. Give the players an extra couple of months of training.
First of all, is your avatar a picture of Snooki? Wtf...

Secondly, would the NHL and NHLPA actually risk missing another ENTIRE season of hockey? I feel like both sides would make way less money if there was no season. Then again I don't really know how all of this works but I can't see it being advantageous for anyone...

The fans should riot at the NHL offices if this happens.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Traverse City has not been cancelled. They are going to wait until August. If there is no new CBA by August,they will cancel the tournament.

Those are some big numbers. The owners want a 50/50 split. The players want no split. They already gave the NHL concessions in 2005. The owners want many things. There is not enough time.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:04 AM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Traverse City has not been cancelled. They are going to wait until August. If there is no new CBA by August,they will cancel the tournament.

Those are some big numbers. The owners want a 50/50 split. The players want no split. They already gave the NHL concessions in 2005. The owners want many things. There is not enough time.
My fault, i thought it was cancelled.

Old
05-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Ice Hockey

i don't see a lockout happening. it's finally repaired the damage done from the last lockout.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Could RangerBoy or someone else explain why there could be a potential lockout? I know it's a monetary issue.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:56 PM
frankthefrowner

Realistically this would be the owners being greedy ****s. Obviously they need to close the contract loop hole. Aside from that? what do they want. If certain teams arent doing well financially, perhaps there in crap markets. Bettman refuses to admit his mistakes with some of these teams, they fixed one mistake by moving ATL to WPG. Now its time to fix another mistake. Phx should move to quebec and be profitable .

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:56 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Could RangerBoy or someone else explain why there could be a potential lockout? I know it's a monetary issue.
What does rangerboy know people or something?

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
The split in revenue between the owners and players is probably the biggest problem.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote