HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Leino gone?

Old
05-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Der Jaeger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Yes but 45-55 points would be ALL leino brings, a lot of those players bring a two way game or a physical game, for example I would have no problem paying a 49 point ryan clowe 4.5 million but a 49 point leino I wouldnt like
During the late run, I thought Leino played well along the offensive boards, and defensively responsible.

Though still overpaid, it would be easier to take a Leino - Staal -Pominville line (for example) with Leino helping to shut down top lines and maintain possession in the offensive zone, with the 45-55 points.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:40 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
During the late run, I thought Leino played well along the offensive boards, and defensively responsible.

Though still overpaid, it would be easier to take a Leino - Staal -Pominville line (for example) with Leino helping to shut down top lines and maintain possession in the offensive zone, with the 45-55 points.
Hey if we have cap room to keep leino AND make the team better by bringing in a guy like staal because the cap expands than I'm fine with keeping him

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:51 PM
joshjull

It would cost 14mil to buyout the rest of Leino's contract. Do you folks honestly think thats going to happen?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:57 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
It would cost 14mil to buyout the rest of Leino's contract. Do you folks honestly think thats going to happen?
I dont think anyones expecting a buyout, I think they are expecting the amnesty clause

Old
05-27-2012, 11:03 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I dont think anyones expecting a buyout, I think they are expecting the amnesty clause
What do you think the amnesty clause is? a get out of jail free card?

The clause just gives clubs the ability to buy a player out without having it count against the cap like it would in a regular buyout situation. But the team still has to buy the player out and in Leino's case it would cost 14mil. It aint happening.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:04 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Gwinnett or Bust!

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:08 PM
McTank

Quote:
What do you think the amnesty clause is? a get out of jail free card?

The clause just gives clubs the ability to buy a player out without having it count against the cap like it would in a regular buyout situation. But the team still has to buy the player out and in Leino's case it would cost 14mil. It aint happening.
No in a regular buy out it count against the cap still just a lesser number which would still be large this early in his contract. The amnesty has no cap hit. Terry would have no problem paying the money if there is no cap hit

Old
05-27-2012, 11:10 PM
joshjull

Quote:
No in a regular buy out it count against the cap still just a lesser number which would still be large this early in his contract. The amnesty has no cap hit. Terry would jave no problem paying the money if there is no cap hit
So he would have no problem handing over 14mil to Leino to buy him out. I highly doubt that ever happens.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:13 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
No in a regular buy out it count against the cap still just a lesser number which would still be large this early in his contract. The amnesty has no cap hit. Terry would have no problem paying the money if there is no cap hit
JJ said pretty much exactly this. The difference being how willing you each think Pegula is to throw money away.

I'm personally siding with JJ here in that I highly doubt Pegula would buy out the five remaining years on Leino's deal. That's a steep price to pay for a player that just played the first year of a six year contract.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:22 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
JJ said pretty much exactly this. The difference being how willing you each think Pegula is to throw money away.

I'm personally siding with JJ here in that I highly doubt Pegula would buy out the five remaining years on Leino's deal. That's a steep price to pay for a player that just played the first year of a six year contract.
I think he would probably leave it up to darcy and darcy would gove him another year because he wouldnt admit he screwed up but I dont think terry would ever stop a move that makes the team better over money as weve seen many times already

Old
05-27-2012, 11:29 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I think he would probably leave it up to darcy and darcy would gove him another year because he wouldnt admit he screwed up but I dont think terry would ever stop a move that makes the team better over money as weve seen many times already
So what exactly is your point then?

When I said it would cost 14mil to buy out Leino and thats it isn't going to happen your response was this......

Quote:

So what are you trying to say?

Old
05-27-2012, 11:30 PM
McTank

Quote:
So what exactly is your point then?

When I said it would cost 14mil to buy out Leino and thats it isn't going to happen your response was this......

So what are you trying to say?
I was saying I dont think anyones expecting a normal buyout, the buyout includes a cap hit, the amnesty clause doesnt, people are expecting an amnesty clause not a buyout

Old
05-27-2012, 11:34 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I was saying I dont think anyones expecting a normal buyout, the buyout includes a cap hit, the amnesty clause doesnt, people are expecting an amnesty clause not a buyout
What does that have to do with the fact that it will cost 14mil to buy out Leino?

Old
05-27-2012, 11:38 PM
McTank

Quote:
What does that have to do with the fact that it will cost 14mil to buy out Leino?
My reply was simply stating posters are expecting a amnesty clause not a buyout, it really had nothing to do with the 14 million until you brought it up

Old
05-28-2012, 12:01 AM
joshjull

Quote:
My reply was simply stating posters are expecting a amnesty clause not a buyout, it really had nothing to do with the 14 million until you brought it up

For starters STOP saying posters are expecting an amnesty clause not a buyout. The amnesty clause applies to the cap consequences of a buyout. But there has to be a BUYOUT FIRST in order for an amnesty to occur. There isn't an either or component to this. As in a choice between a buyout or a amensty clause. The choice is between a buyout with cap consequences or a buyout without one (an amnesty clause).

Second, you responded to my post about the 14mil cost of a Leino buyout. So I have no idea why your acting now as if I brought it up after the fact.

I posted it would cost 14mil to buyout Leino and asked if anyone really thinks that will happen. You responded with........
Quote:
I'm still waiting for an explaination of this response that makes sense. Since any amnesty would require a buyout to happen first.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:53 AM
DJN21

Quote:

For starters STOP saying posters are expecting an amnesty clause not a buyout. The amnesty clause applies to the cap consequences of a buyout. But there has to be a BUYOUT FIRST in order for an amnesty to occur. There isn't an either or component to this. As in a choice between a buyout or a amensty clause. The choice is between a buyout with cap consequences or a buyout without one (an amnesty clause).

Second, you responded to my post about the 14mil cost of a Leino buyout. So I have no idea why your acting now as if I brought it up after the fact.

I posted it would cost 14mil to buyout Leino and asked if anyone really thinks that will happen. You responded with........

I'm still waiting for an explaination of this response that makes sense. Since any amnesty would require a buyout to happen first.
lol yep im as confused as u are...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
I don't think a buy out will occur. I don't care if you're a millionaire or a billion, throwing away 14 mill is a lot of money. That being said, how do any of us know if Pegula might be ok with it or at least consider it?

After we traded for Regehr, traded for the rights to Ehrhoff, gave him a monster contract, and signed Leino Nothing would suprise me.

Everyone is shocked by our off-season moves. Some (not saying you are) are certainly still stuck in the "small-market owned by Golisano nothing will happen" era. I wouldnt be surprised if we had more of a Philly type of off-season.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:09 AM
gallagt01

Does anyone have the Sabres' financial numbers since Pegula took over?

I can't imagine he's profited much so far. Between major arena renovations, player contracts/bonuses and even petty things like the slug-jersey trade ins, he's sunk quite a bit of dough into the team - which by all means corresponds with what he promised when he bought the team.

Still, you have to wonder if he'd be willing to shell out the 14m or so that it'd cost to buy out Leino AND go after another big name free agent. That's a lot of money when really it's unnecessary to spend.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
So he would have no problem handing over 14mil to Leino to buy him out. I highly doubt that ever happens.
If Buffalo signed a high end free agent, like Parise or Suter, and needed cap space, you don't think that Pegula would consider it?

(Assuming the cap amnesty - I understand that Pegula still has to pay Leino)

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:26 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
If Buffalo signed a high end free agent, like Parise or Suter, and needed cap space, you don't think that Pegula would consider it?

(Assuming the cap amnesty - I understand that Pegula still has to pay Leino)
No I don't think he would consider it. There are far smarter ways to free up cap space if need be. I also don't think Leino's contract warrants the hysteria that seems to have grown over it.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:33 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Does anyone not think that buying out Leino after year one would deter future free agents from coming here? I think it would be a massive red flag for players considering Buffalo.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:36 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Does anyone not think that buying out Leino after year one would deter future free agents from coming here? I think it would be a massive red flag for players considering Buffalo.
This is my argument against dropping him.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:54 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Plus, with his front-loaded deal, he'll become more tradeable as the contract goes on--particularly for internal budget teams for whom the cap number is not as important.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:44 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Plus, with his front-loaded deal, he'll become more tradeable as the contract goes on--particularly for internal budget teams for whom the cap number is not as important.
How much did Leino make last year in real dollars?

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:45 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
How much did Leino make last year in real dollars?
6 mil I believe?