HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers have ca$h, just donít know how much

Old
05-28-2012, 07:52 AM
emodwarf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Wait a minute. If they want to remove a teams ability to bury a bad contract in the minors and there might not be a compliance buyout, could the Rangers possibly be stuck with Redden on the NHL salary cap for next season?
Yes, but those two scenarios combined doesn't seem so likely. It would be punishing teams for what was at the time an acceptable loophole in the CBA - as opposed to starting to enforce a new rule in the new CBA.

If small market owners and GMs want to prevent major market teams from burying mistakes in the minors, they either need to grandfather that ability for previously signed contracts or allow for a compliance buyout. The latter is infinitely simpler and clears the board right away.

Whether preventing burying contracts would even happen is another story. A smartly run but smaller market team would want that, but they NEED revenue sharing. And guess who pays into that? The big market teams who want to be able to bury bad contracts.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:55 AM
RangersChamps2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Not really a fan of him. Not a second line player on the Rangers nor do I think he would be a good third liner either.
Yeah I actually just looked up his stats, not impressed. Nevermind on him then. I like Jones and Gaustad for next year. I think that that one more second tier scorer like Jones could do wonders for our team. And we struggled with faceoffs in the first round and then in the ECF, so Gaustad would be a great help on that aspect of the club. And of course, Schultz is a must. A friend of mine saw him play live and said that this kid is a total stud

RangersChamps2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:57 AM
RangersChamps2417

And if Gaustad isn't a possibility, maybe Halpern instead?

RangersChamps2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:04 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If the system changes,there will be a compliance buyout period. Craig Custance quoted a NHL source who said there have to be compliance/amnesty buyouts. Lowering the % changes the system. The NHL wants to make the system more restrictive. The NBA system is more restrictive. That's why the Knicks scraped their plans of CP3. They couldn't pay 3 max players under the new CBA. The NBA has a tax system and it will penalize big spenders more than in the old CBA. Kevin Lowe said the NHL wants to tighten up the CBA. Some teams don't want the rich teams to send their mistakes to Europe or to the AHL. The long term IR is another issue. The Flyers had Hatcher and Rathje on LTI for years. The NHL wants contract term limits. They want so many things. They want to raise the age of group III from 27. Some of those will help the Rangers such as contract term limits. The Rangers need to be careful. They don't know the system.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:41 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Trading for a star scoring forward has recently paid dividends for some teams:

Kovalchuk -- Devils in the SCF in 2nd full season
Heatley -- Sens in SCF after 2nd full season
Hossa -- Pens in SCF after deadline

I just dont think the Rangers are at the point where they should consider breaking the bank for a guy like Ryan or Nash. Like I have said since the trade deadline, there are always available options, and in 2013, there will be a ton of scoring assets available.

I think Mikael Samuelsson would be a nice addition to the 3rd line. He'll come cheap and add to the Swedish contingent we've got going on here.

Also, Cory Sarich is a UFA who probably needs a change of scenery after a couple of rough seasons in Calgary. He plays the right side.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:44 AM
JayQueensNY88*

I love Prust..but see no resason why he gets more than 1.2 per....Great heart and soul player,but is a 4th liner,who can penalty kill great but doesnt have any offenseive capabilities at all!!!!!!!

3 years @ 3.6 mill

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:49 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Schultz should be priority #1. Get this kid in a Rangers uniform. If they need to trade #28 for his rights then so be it.

This kid will step in and instantly provide a dynamic transition game and make the point on the power play more creative.

If they can't manage to add another high end scorer to attempt taking pressure off Gaborik (who i don't believe will be traded regardless of how I feel) then go after David Jones. A big guy, still young, who can score 20+ goals.

Maybe adding Kreider, Schultz, and Jones could be the extra offensive depth they need.

Maybe they can sweeten the pot a little bit and get Schultz and Etem from Anaheim.

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Etem - Stepan - Callahan
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Jones
Hagelin - Boyle - Yogan

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
Del Zotto - Sauer/McIlrath

And now you have four lines that can pose a threat.
I remember reading around this time last season from many a poster here that Erixon is the answer. Now, it's Schultz.

I'll believe hype when it becomes reality.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Blazephr

There's one change I REALLY want to see & that's getting rid of Brian freaking Boyle! I am so sick of him, its not even funny. It was painful watching him all season centering the 3rd line. He's not even a good 4th line center let alone 3rd line! He's a lumbering, skating mess who does not use his body size to his advantage. And when he does throw a hit, it takes him an eternity to get back into the play.

I know his stats on draws are OK for the most part...but he almost never won that much needed defensive zone face-off. We've lost a handful of games right off the draw due to him losing key face-offs. His play thru the neutral zone is just horrid. He has trouble making plays in transition. And you could certainly count on him to be a major momentum killer.

He was even losing numerous puck battles along the boards against a 6' 0", 180 pound Erik Karlsson. His decision to rough up Karlsson was not a wise choice as it riled up the Sens and cost us game 2. And he put a huge target on his back, which Neil nailed a bulls-eye.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:07 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I remember reading around this time last season from many a poster here that Erixon is the answer. Now, it's Schultz.

Are you saying you think Erixon will be a bust...or simply that like with most dmen, it will take a while to reach his potential?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
I love Prust..but see no resason why he gets more than 1.2 per....Great heart and soul player,but is a 4th liner,who can penalty kill great but doesnt have any offenseive capabilities at all!!!!!!!

3 years @ 3.6 mill
I agree. Paying him 1.7 would be a mistake, continuing the trend of overpaying our 4th liners. No way we should be spending near 5 million for our 4th ****ing line.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:

I just said something similar to this in the other thread. People are really expecting Schultz to come in as a 22-year old rookie and slot right into the 2nd pair immediately? I'll ask you, how many times has something like that happened on this team? Marc Staal started on the third pair. Ryan McDonagh spent half a season in Connecticut. I don't think this team can afford to have a rookie defenseman have a season like Del Zotto's rookie year. Mike Sauer was a 5th year pro.

It's just unrealistic... and that still depends on us getting him. What if we don't?

I still think this team needs to go after Milan Jurcina.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:00 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
There's one change I REALLY want to see & that's getting rid of Brian freaking Boyle! I am so sick of him, its not even funny. It was painful watching him all season centering the 3rd line. He's not even a good 4th line center let alone 3rd line! He's a lumbering, skating mess who does not use his body size to his advantage. And when he does throw a hit, it takes him an eternity to get back into the play.

I know his stats on draws are OK for the most part...but he almost never won that much needed defensive zone face-off. We've lost a handful of games right off the draw due to him losing key face-offs. His play thru the neutral zone is just horrid. He has trouble making plays in transition. And you could certainly count on him to be a major momentum killer.

He was even losing numerous puck battles along the boards against a 6' 0", 180 pound Erik Karlsson. His decision to rough up Karlsson was not a wise choice as it riled up the Sens and cost us game 2. And he put a huge target on his back, which Neil nailed a bulls-eye.
couldn't agree more. sick of him! enough! Torts gave him every chance to prove himself. fail. bye.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:00 AM
blue2noise

The bottom 6 HAS TO improve. They need to get bigger and a little more skilled to chip in some points.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:02 AM
NikC

Quote:

3 years @ 3.6 mill
I agree. Prust had a much better season the prior year. 13g for a 3rd liner is respectable. 5 is not. He is a key player for the club in the bottom 6, but we should not overpay.

He's another guy that Torts played to death.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:14 AM
RangerBlues

I would be wary or giving Prust a three year deal. Just dont know how well his body is going to hold up with the way he plays the game. Rangers have been stuck before with overpaying for "intangibles"

2 years 2.6-3mil

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:57 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Are you saying you think Erixon will be a bust...or simply that like with most dmen, it will take a while to reach his potential?
I am saying that many here penciled him as ready to shine before last season. I don't think anyone feels that that was what happened. As to the future, who knows.

Now I'm reading the same drivel about Schultz. Maybe he makes it. Maybe he doesn't. This is the classic "he's gonna be great" feelgood story that permeates every off-season. People love new toys.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:10 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I am saying that many here penciled him as ready to shine before last season. I don't think anyone feels that that was what happened. As to the future, who knows.

Now I'm reading the same drivel about Schultz. Maybe he makes it. Maybe he doesn't. This is the classic "he's gonna be great" feelgood story that permeates every off-season. People love new toys.
They sure do. My thoughts on Schultz are that we should at the very least sign him before we pencil him into the lineup.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Cmox

I saw some stuff about Schultz, Toronto and tampering. I dunno if hell be signing here.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:28 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:

3 years @ 3.6 mill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I agree. Paying him 1.7 would be a mistake, continuing the trend of overpaying our 4th liners. No way we should be spending near 5 million for our 4th ****ing line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
I agree. Prust had a much better season the prior year. 13g for a 3rd liner is respectable. 5 is not. He is a key player for the club in the bottom 6, but we should not overpay.

He's another guy that Torts played to death.

You guys forgot one huge thing Prust brings to the table: Of all the current Rangers, Prust isn't scared to drop the gloves, and he definitely contributes on the penalty kill.

Yeah, Rupp had success with other teams, but as is with the Rangers, I find him to be more of an albatross at $1.5 million than Prust at $1.2 - 2 million.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Brandon Prust says money won't be only factor, wants to be back but acknowledges he may have a tough choice to make as an UFA.
https://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/sta...65253421760512

He will have surgery to repair a torn tendon in his finger.

Quote:
Prust: "Money is a factor, but it's not the biggest factor for me...I want to be a big part of a winning team, like i am here"
https://twitter.com/JimCerny/status/207165158651469824

Old
05-28-2012, 12:56 PM
rangers5000

why not trade duby/gaborik, get as much as you can

sign parise, then sign 3-4 depth players that are a upgrade over our 2-4 lines, maybe even some hungry veterens who can pocket 40-50 points

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Boyle is a fine 4th line center. Solid on faceoffs, plays hard, is great on PK. Can also chip in offensively. Only a fool would have a problem with him playing there. Fools with unrealistic expectations.

Prust isn't worth a 1.7m salary, but he's a great teammate who excels on the PK, has speed, and isn't too shabby of a hockey player. If both of these guys play on the 4th line where they deserve, they're fine.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:18 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Torts on UFA Brandon Prust: "he's a huge part of our team...I love the guy"
https://twitter.com/thenyrangers/sta...73149970796544

Old
05-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Boyle is a fine 4th line center. Solid on faceoffs, plays hard, is great on PK. Can also chip in offensively. Only a fool would have a problem with him playing there. Fools with unrealistic expectations.

Prust isn't worth a 1.7m salary, but he's a great teammate who excels on the PK, has speed, and isn't too shabby of a hockey player. If both of these guys play on the 4th line where they deserve, they're fine.
The problem with Boyle are his wheels. Specifically his inability to turn. On top of that he has no hands. Boyle can single handedly kill plays on the transition or completely end an effective cycle just by touching the puck. He is a black hole offensively.

Because of his poor skating, he is a mediocre forechecker because he cannot react when he commits to a hit. He is willing to throw his body, but he isn't all that effective in gaining the puck from the forecheck. Many times he gets caught WAY out of position because he overcommits.

Won't argue with his PK ability, he is very good. But he is getting paid 1.7 million a year to be a 4th liner/pk specalist. That doesn't work on so many levels and is gross overpayment. IMO, the team would be better off riding themselves of Boyle, and bringing a true third line center. Give the 4th line to some kids in Hartford for less money.

I think, like Torts, people have gotten enamored with Boyle's character/effort and not the actual hockey player. As a hockey player, he is a marginal one at best.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:24 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Hagelin/Dubinsky - Guastad - Jones
Feds - Boyle - Prust

Would be an amazing bottom 6.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote