HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 5s (Albums, Songs, Shows, Video Games, etc)

Old
05-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Top 5s (Albums, Songs, Shows, Video Games, etc)

So I've been wanting to get some new music lately, and based on the conversations I've had with you guys you all have some pretty fantastic tastes in music. So I figured this could be good for all of us. Don't hold back on me, I'm hoping to get a couple of new albums out of this haha.

List your top 5 favorite albums of all-time here, with a brief description if you'd like, and also the criteria by which you judge an album (the list is all that's necessary, everything else is just gravy).

My criteria:
  • Every song is good. Most albums that come out nowadays have 3 or 4 good songs and the rest are just fillers. On a great album, EVERY song is worth listening to, and none are "skip" worthy if you're listening to a mix of songs.
  • Some sort of continuity. This doesn't necessarily have to mean the album is like one big song or anything (like Dark Side of the Moon), but a great album isn't just a random collection of above average songs. This eliminates any "Best of" albums from contention.
  • Every song is different. It's tough to put an album where all the songs sound the same up on my list (this eliminates any Nickelback albums from contention, not that they'd be up here anyway).
  • Really, really ****ing good music.

So, without further ado, my 5 (Remember, I am 18 years old. While I do love classic rock, I don't necessarily have some of the albums that you 30-somethings would consider no-brainers. You have been warned ):

5: Simple Math - Manchester Orchestra

It's kinda tough to describe what's great about Manchester Orchestra, because basically everything is. This, IMO, is their best album, simply from a song to song standpoint. Not as much continuity, not as strong an overarching message, but every single song in this album is unique and awesome. Doesn't hurt that they ended up getting one of their songs in the NHL 12 soundtrack.

4: Lonesome Crowded West - Modest Mouse

The thing about Modest Mouse is that they have just so many ****ing albums to choose from . This one's my personal favorite, but the argument could be made for MANY others to be in this spot. Teeth Like God's Shoeshine is the highlight, for me at least, but every song is worth listening to. A bizarre but awesome contrast of screaming songs and acoustic, slower songs. Great music, and it's 15 songs long which means you get a lot of great music.

3: Separation Sunday - The Hold Steady

A concept album about a girl named Hallelujah's struggle to find a balance between her current rock-and-roll lifestyle and her new found interest in Catholicism. This album is a lyrical masterpiece (not surprising, as Craig Finn is a lyrical genius). Cattle and the Creeping Things is the highlight, and the story throughout is badass and it comes to an awesome conclusion. For those of you who do not listen to The Hold Steady, if you end up liking this album, do get every single other album they've come out with, because this is one of the best bands around.

2: Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

This album man. Not much to say about it. Every song's good, every song's different, a lot of powerful lyrics about not getting the girl you want. I can listen to this album over and over and not get bored.

1: The Monitor - Titus Andronicus

I felt uncomfortable giving an album that came out in 2010 the #1 spot, then I remembered how ****ing good it is. The Monitor is a concept album loosely based on the events of the Civil War, revealing the parallels between the war and modern day conflicts. Each song connects to the next, no songs sound the same (except for "Titus Andronicus Forever" and "And Ever...", which are intended to be basically exactly the same). I would not press "skip" on a single song on this album. It's unbelievable. The lyrics are bold and unapologetic, the music sounds great, and it's infinitely more smoothly produced than their first album (I know "low-fi" is a thing, but it shouldn't be). This is the ultimate road trip album, it's the ultimate chill out album, it's basically the ultimate album.

Honorable Mention: Dark Side of the Moon

It's a classic, it's a great album. Points taken off because it can put you to sleep with some of the more melodic songs, also very slow moving and boring at times. Still, its highs are VERY high.

OK, those are mine. You don't have to put as much work in it. I'm just looking for some new music and trust you guys' judgments. Thanks!

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
So I've been wanting to get some new music lately, and based on the conversations I've had with you guys you all have some pretty fantastic tastes in music. So I figured this could be good for all of us. Don't hold back on me, I'm hoping to get a couple of new albums out of this haha.

Snip snip

OK, those are mine. You don't have to put as much work in it. I'm just looking for some new music and trust you guys' judgments. Thanks!

Detail, much?

I'm assuming you don't want multiple albums by the same band/artist, so I'll stick to one album each. (EDIT 2: Ehh, I just couldn't do it. I love Rise Against too much.)

In no order here, but:

Siren Song of the Counter Culture -- Rise Against

Wasting Light -- Foo Fighters

Ten -- Pearl Jam

Sci-Fi Crimes -- Chevelle

The Sufferer and the Witness -- Rise Against

All those above fit your qualifications except maybe the continuity one...but there is not a bad song (IMO) on any of those five albums.

Also, none of the bands on my list are very similar to what you listen to, at least based on your list. But Foo Fighters, Rise Against, and Chevelle are my favorite bands...so...take it as you will.

HM section:

Though it's a repeat of Rise Against, I'll throw in their album Appeal to Reason as a honorable mention for this reason alone: I played that album probably like 30 times while playing through Fallout 3. It made that game so much better. With Rise Against, though, I could really have picked any of Siren Song of the Counter Culture, The Sufferer and the Witness, or Appeal to Reason to be my favorite, so I digress.

The Blue Album -- Weezer. That's a small step below those listed above, but I love listening to something like Weezer, Muse or Cage the Elephant from time to time. But if we're sticking to the criteria listed above, The Blue Album is the only album through and through that I can list.

Last edited by Head Goose: 05-28-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Album covers
Head Goose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I got uncomfortably excited when I got to number one on Dubinchuk's list. Just saw my fifth Titus show a couple weeks ago.

5. Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
4. Arcade Fire - Funeral
3. Weezer - The Blue Album
2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
1. Weezer - Pinkerton

05-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
I got uncomfortably excited when I got to number one on Dubinchuk's list.

5. Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
4. Arcade Fire - Funeral
3. Weezer - The Blue Album
2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
1. Weezer - Pinkerton
I want to put this on my list so much, but I have a feeling I'm missing something huge on my list. I'll put that there if I can't figure out what I'm missing, though.

EDIT: You edited your post. You say you've seen Titus Andronicus five times? I've seen Chevelle four or five times (almost did another, but decided to leave Clemson for winter break earlier rather than go see Chevelle at Littlejohn)

Last edited by Head Goose: 05-27-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old
05-27-2012, 08:50 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

6. Had to

Right now anyway. The list varies wildly

Criteria: Can listen to the complete album front to back and feel good the whole time. Most Pearl Jam albums accomplish this for me. Lots of Bruce Springsteen lately as well. ELO - Face the Music, Van Halen II,

Last edited by UnPLEASED Anton: 05-27-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: sw
UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:39 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Had a nice write-up, but lost it when I tried to post and realized I was not logged in.

5. Jar of Flies by Alice In Chains (I really enjoy this low-key acoustic EP from AIC.)
Favorite Songs - "Rotten Apple", "I Stay Away", "No Excuses" and "Don't Follow".

5. Above by Mad Season (Underrated album by a one-off Seattle "super-group".)
Favorite Songs - "Wake Up", "River of Deceit", "I'm Above" and "Long Gone Day".

4. Quadrophenia by The Who (Many consider it their best album, but they did one better in my opinion.)
Favorite Songs - "The Real Me", "I'm One", "5:15", "Sea and Sand" and "Love, Reign O'er Me".

3. Temple of the Dog by Temple of the Dog (Another fantastic album from a Seattle "super-group".)
Favorite Songs - "Say Hello 2 Heaven", "Reach Down", "Call Me a Dog" and "Times of Trouble".

2. Ten by Pearl Jam (One of the best debut albums you'll ever hear.)
Favorite Songs - "Alive", "Black", "Jeremy" and "Garden".

1. Who's Next by The Who (Best top-to-bottom album from my favorite band.)
Favorite Songs - "Baba O'Riley", "The Song Is Over", "Getting in Tune", "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Won't Get Fooled Again".

Honorable mention to many other great albums out there that I can't think of at the moment.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Had a nice write-up, but lost it when I tried to post and realized I was not logged in.

5. Jar of Flies by Alice In Chains (I really enjoy this low-key acoustic EP from AIC.)
Favorite Songs - "Rotten Apple", "I Stay Away", "No Excuses" and "Don't Follow".

5. Above by Mad Season (Underrated album by a one-off Seattle "super-group".)
Favorite Songs - "Wake Up", "River of Deceit", "I'm Above" and "Long Gone Day".

4. Quadrophenia by The Who (Many consider it their best album, but they did one better in my opinion.)
Favorite Songs - "The Real Me", "I'm One", "5:15", "Sea and Sand" and "Love, Reign O'er Me".

3. Temple of the Dog by Temple of the Dog (Another fantastic album from a Seattle "super-group".)
Favorite Songs - "Say Hello 2 Heaven", "Reach Down", "Call Me a Dog" and "Times of Trouble".

2. Ten by Pearl Jam (One of the best debut albums you'll ever hear.)
Favorite Songs - "Alive", "Black", "Jeremy" and "Garden".

1. Who's Next by The Who (Best top-to-bottom album from my favorite band.)
Favorite Songs - "Baba O'Riley", "The Song Is Over", "Getting in Tune", "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Won't Get Fooled Again".

Honorable mention to many other great albums out there that I can't think of at the moment.
Hunger Strike is one of my favorite songs ever. EVER.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

5. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
4. Jay-Z - The Black Album
3. Nas - Illmatic
2. Nas - Stillmatic
1. 2Pac - All Eyez On Me

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:41 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

vCash: 50

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:54 AM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

1) "A Rush of Blood to the Head" by Coldplay
2) "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends" by Coldplay
3) "Mylo Xyloto" by Coldplay
4) "X&Y" by Coldplay
5) "Parachutes" by Coldplay

BOOM.

gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Novacane
My Hero

Can't put them in order. All equally enjoyable.

And a mash up of the Queens of the Stone Age albums (Mainly 3's & 7's, In My Head, Little Sister, Go With The Flow)

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
I'm gonna go ahead and assume I'm the only person here who listens to the kind of music I do, so if you're actually curious I'll post further info on why I like them, but since you asked, here we go.....

(5), Cradle of Filth -- Midian

(4), Marduk -- Rom 5:12

(3), Behemoth -- Demigod

(2), Dimmu Borgir -- Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia

(1), Rammstein -- Mutter

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:02 AM
SCanedinavian

Here goes (don't pay attention to the order here, its a bit random):

1. OutKast - ATLiens

So far ahead of their time that its just ridiculous. Absolutely amazing album, not one skippable track.

2. The Postal Service - The Postal Service

Again, not a single song I want to skip. Great and mostly chilled out album, perfect for snowboarding to.

3. The Cat Empire - The Cat Empire

Pure summer album, best music to come out of Australia in a while imo.

4. Nas - Illmatic

This was one of the first hip hop albums I got into and it was instrumental in shaping my taste in music.

5. Sigur Rs - gtis byrjun

Beauty encapsulated in musical form. When I first heard this album I didnt listen to any other music for about two weeks. Impossible to dislike.

Honourable mentions: Simon And Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence (just edged out) OutKast - Aquemini,, Jay-Z The Blueprint

SCanedinavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Oenatzu
#DirectorOfDreams

It's hard to pick five when there are so many good albums out there.

Darkness on the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen

One of the most complete albums by the Boss.

The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Epic album by an epic band. Need I say more? The final two tracks blow my mind every time.

Approach - Von Hertzen Brothers

A band formed by three brothers all known for their work in different bands in the finnish music scene. The album draws influence from Led Zeppelin riffs and Pink Floyd-type of progressiveness to create one of the best albums I've heard.

Damnation - Opeth

A progressive death metal band breaks out to create an album that has no metal in it. Instead the album features acoustic guitars, jazzy solos, 70's progressive rock influences and beautifully sung lyrics.

Insurgentes - Steven Wilson

What Canes have been in hockey, Steven Wilson has been in music for me. While mostly known for his (awesome) band Porcupine Tree, it's his solo record that really rises as one of the best albums for me.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:06 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Not sure, but it would have to include

Last edited by Sasha Cares: 05-28-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:30 AM
smi

It may not be my #1 favorite album, because I really can't put them in any specific order, but I just wanted to throw it out there. Great stuff, might require a few listen-throughs to get the hold of it, though. The final track is fantastic, one of my favorite songs ever.

I doubt you'll hate it, if you're into progressive rock.

Last edited by smi: 05-28-2012 at 07:49 AM.
smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:46 AM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Gonna do two top five lists because my real top five is all pink Floyd.
5. Pink Floyd - Division Bell
4. Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
3. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
2. Animals
1. The Wall

5. Iron Maiden - number of the beast
4. Metallica - And Justice For All
3. Alice in Chains - dirt
2. Boston - Boston
1. Mudvayne- ld 50 (personal favorite)

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:40 AM
stivwhaler

5- Who- Quadrophenia
4- Pogues- Rum Sodomy & The Lash
3- Clash- S/T
2- Ramones- Rocket To Russia
1- Sex Pistols- Never Mind The Bollocks

Jussi- I run a punk/metal webstore and we have tons of shirts you'd like. Lots of Cradle Of Filth, Marduk, Behemoth, etc. Check out AngryYoungAndPoor.com.

stivwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:48 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

In no particular order:

-Come On! Feel the Illinoise! by Sufjan Stevens
-The Everglow by Mae
-My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West
-Pneuma by Moving Mountains
-Interventions and Lullabies by The Format
-Aim & Ignite by Fun.

Those are just 6 random ones that I have liked constantly. There are loads and loads more I could recommend out of the 22k songs I have.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Completely random question here....but...

Am I the only person here who loves the Foo Fighters but extremely dislikes Nirvana? I'm not really a fan of Kurt Cobain's singing at all, but I love everything Dave Grohl does.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Scorvo

5-My Dinosaur Life- Motion City Soundtrack
4-Rise or Die Trying- Four Year Strong
3-Deja Entendu- Brand New
2-Third Eye Blind- Third Eye Blind
1-Futures- Jimmy Eat World

Not what most people seem to be putting up, but I can listen to these albums all freaking day.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:05 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
5 - The Planets - Gustav Holst

4 - Blue Album - Weezer

3 - Doolittle - Pixies

2 - Ten - Pearl Jam

1 - Nevermind - Nirvana

#5 is prettymuch constantly changing for me. The Beatles, U2, REM, Sufjan Stevens, Yes, Modest Mouse, Smashing Pumpkins, TV on the Radio, and Neutral Milk Hotel all have contenders for the last spot, but the top 3 is prettymuch static.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Would likely have put Doolittle... I love the Pixies and love their sound, but I basically just have their like 20 song "Best of" album, so I just listen to that. Looking up Doolittle, the Best of album has like 3/4ths of the songs, so I get the basic idea (without the closure of an actual, complete album of course). Been thinking of getting it, but unfortunately I still buy my music on iTunes (I know the whole illegally downloading thing is getting to the point where it's the standard, but something about it I just can't do). Therefore, it's a good chunk of change anytime I'm trying to buy a new album, so I figure if I've got the Best of, it pains me to say it, but that's enough.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
In no particular order:

Absolution - Muse
Recovery - Eminem
The Sound of Madness - Shinedown
Origin of Symmetry - Muse
The Resistance - Muse

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:43 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Would likely have put Doolittle... I love the Pixies and love their sound, but I basically just have their like 20 song "Best of" album, so I just listen to that. Looking up Doolittle, the Best of album has like 3/4ths of the songs, so I get the basic idea (without the closure of an actual, complete album of course). Been thinking of getting it, but unfortunately I still buy my music on iTunes (I know the whole illegally downloading thing is getting to the point where it's the standard, but something about it I just can't do). Therefore, it's a good chunk of change anytime I'm trying to buy a new album, so I figure if I've got the Best of, it pains me to say it, but that's enough.
Yeah, odd as it is to say (especially with me having it at #3 on my list instead of at the top) but it's about as close to perfection as you can get from an album by a band that never really hit the mainstream as hard as they should have. Easily one of the most influential albums even today, but for whatever reason Pixies just never really took off the way they probably should have after Doolittle.

saw Shutdown Sutter mentioned 3 different Muse albums. They're definitely a band I've been getting more and more into over the past 5-6 years here. Pity that 96 rock doesn't really seem to play modern alternative rock anymore, as there's been some stuff over the past decade here that's been absolutely fantastic that I just can't find on terrestrial radio.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote