HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2012, 08:58 AM
  #176
steev182
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: England
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Ah, so I started at a bad time, no clinics next wednesday or the wednesday after.

A couple of things I did notice about myself though - getting ready, I shouldn't have put my pads, jersey or shin pads on until I put on my skates and had them tight. In the rush to get them on, I also chopped the end of a lace off! No biggie, I just would some clear tape around the end and got them on, however I couldn't get them as tight as I'd like.

So I'm going to go by my LHS, (the rink I use doesn't have much choice in their shop) and get properly fitted for some better, stiffer skates, as even after relacing later in the lesson, I felt myself on my inside edges a lot. Also better get some more laces, if I lost the lace a little longer, then I wouldn't have been able to even fully lace up...

Anyone know a good store in Manhattan/Queens/Long Island?

steev182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:50 PM
  #177
ArrogantOwl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
If your up for a drive go the the Ice House in Hackensack, great shop up in NJ.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:02 PM
  #178
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
I played hockey back in the 70's in Southern California and when I moved to Arizona the closest rink was two hours away- too long of a commute to play so went back to racing motorcycles. I have always missed it and when i moved to the Pacific Northwest about 4 years ago I discovered recently there is a rink buried about ten minutes from me in a commercial complex..Nice!

In the last few weeks I've bought all new skates and equipment and can't wait to play again! I can't believe how much everything has changed, especially the skates and sticks! Amazing stuff! I've only skated twice since coming back and after 30 years and the new type of skates it's like learning all over again, my mind remembers, the body thinks I've gone crazy! lol...

There's alot of great information here on this site and it's very cool to see I'm not the only one who trying to make a comeback..Very cool!
I can relate, played 5-6 years when I was a kid but was lazy and didn't work on my skating and stopped when I was like 12. Started skating again 30 years later (5 years ago) and started playing hockey again 2 years ago and am completely hooked - play about 4-6 hrs a week now between league and instructional.

I feel kinda like the Morgan Freeman character in Shawshank Redemption when he says he would like to talk some sense into his younger self. But what the hell, it is what it is, enjoy.

The skating comes back pretty quickly (I was probably a bit better than I remembered) and since I actually work on it now I'm a better skater now than when I was a kid even though I learn slower than then.

Anyway, good luck and have fun! If you're married, tell your wife to get used to smelly gear and weird game hours!

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:07 PM
  #179
ganave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I would play goalie just so I can say I stop rubbers from going though my five hole.
I'll be sure to use this at work if I come in with any visible bruises.

"Hey, how'd you get those bruises?"

"Trying to stop rubbers from going through my five hole! 11 got in though, it was terrible!"

"..."

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:23 PM
  #180
MattB43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
I've been reading this and the other thread way too long, I guess I'll suck it up and post my story...

I'm 32, and started skating about a year ago. Had done public skates w/rentals, etc... but that's it. Always been a huge hockey fan, but could never afford to get into it, until now, and I really want my kids to have a chance to play if they want to, since I never had the opportunity.

So last year I hit the LHS and bought a pair of skates, started going to lunch-time public skates at the rink near my office.
A year later and I still can't do a hockey stop, but I can skate backwards pretty decent, forward cross both ways, and all that. Last month I broke down and bought all the gear, been doing stick & puck twice a week and one drop-in session. I still can't get past that mental block of "it's not going to hurt if I fall cause I have all this crap on", but I'm getting there.
The local rink has stick & puck from 11-12 am, and drop-in from 12-2. There aren't too many people on weekdays so I mostly have a rink to myself for at least an hour, it's pretty nice.
Planning on doing this for the summer and then signing up for D League this fall, and see how it goes.

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:58 PM
  #181
clayman
Registered User
 
clayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I can relate, played 5-6 years when I was a kid but was lazy and didn't work on my skating and stopped when I was like 12. Started skating again 30 years later (5 years ago) and started playing hockey again 2 years ago and am completely hooked - play about 4-6 hrs a week now between league and instructional.

I feel kinda like the Morgan Freeman character in Shawshank Redemption when he says he would like to talk some sense into his younger self. But what the hell, it is what it is, enjoy.

The skating comes back pretty quickly (I was probably a bit better than I remembered) and since I actually work on it now I'm a better skater now than when I was a kid even though I learn slower than then.

Anyway, good luck and have fun! If you're married, tell your wife to get used to smelly gear and weird game hours!
Thanks for the motivation! It will be a while to get my legs back under me but this is an absolute blast and I can't believe I waited this long! And my wife is used to odd smells in the garage and being gone alot- I've been racing dirt bikes for years! Different gear, same odor! lol...

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:58 PM
  #182
clayman
Registered User
 
clayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Yeah and I just moved back to the Bay Area after graduating from college in Portland. Oh how I wish there was an NHL team there and not just the Winterhawks
I heard a while back that they were considering Seattle as a home for the Coyotes if the new owner didn't work out.. I'm not sure how far it got or if it was just a rumor.. It would be cool to have my favorite team in the NW though! Rather have them in PDX, but Seattle would have worked too!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:23 AM
  #183
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB43 View Post
I've been reading this and the other thread way too long, I guess I'll suck it up and post my story...

I'm 32, and started skating about a year ago. Had done public skates w/rentals, etc... but that's it. Always been a huge hockey fan, but could never afford to get into it, until now, and I really want my kids to have a chance to play if they want to, since I never had the opportunity.

So last year I hit the LHS and bought a pair of skates, started going to lunch-time public skates at the rink near my office.
A year later and I still can't do a hockey stop, but I can skate backwards pretty decent, forward cross both ways, and all that. Last month I broke down and bought all the gear, been doing stick & puck twice a week and one drop-in session. I still can't get past that mental block of "it's not going to hurt if I fall cause I have all this crap on", but I'm getting there.
The local rink has stick & puck from 11-12 am, and drop-in from 12-2. There aren't too many people on weekdays so I mostly have a rink to myself for at least an hour, it's pretty nice.
Planning on doing this for the summer and then signing up for D League this fall, and see how it goes.
good stuff man! Just pace yourself if you're not completely comfortable, you'll get there soon. And it really doesn't hurt when you fall unless you go into the boards or fall ackwardly. Good luck!

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
  #184
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
Thanks for the motivation! It will be a while to get my legs back under me but this is an absolute blast and I can't believe I waited this long! And my wife is used to odd smells in the garage and being gone alot- I've been racing dirt bikes for years! Different gear, same odor! lol...
heh cheers man

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:22 PM
  #185
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 783
vCash: 219
How competent does my skating need to be for me to feel comfortable taking a Adult Hockey for Beginners class? Do i need to be able to skate backwards well (backwards cross-overs and such)? I feel quite good skating and as i've said before can hockey stop left side forward. Is this enough that i would be ok if I signed up?

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:07 AM
  #186
beth
Registered User
 
beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
How competent does my skating need to be for me to feel comfortable taking a Adult Hockey for Beginners class? Do i need to be able to skate backwards well (backwards cross-overs and such)? I feel quite good skating and as i've said before can hockey stop left side forward. Is this enough that i would be ok if I signed up?
Adult beginners is for brand-new skaters - You'll be fine! Just do it!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:15 AM
  #187
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 783
vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Adult beginners is for brand-new skaters - You'll be fine! Just do it!
Sweet deal now i'm super excited.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:27 AM
  #188
TrueBlue86
Registered User
 
TrueBlue86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
How competent does my skating need to be for me to feel comfortable taking a Adult Hockey for Beginners class? Do i need to be able to skate backwards well (backwards cross-overs and such)? I feel quite good skating and as i've said before can hockey stop left side forward. Is this enough that i would be ok if I signed up?
lol if you're required to know how to perform backward cross overs in order to attend an adult hockey for beginners class, then a lot of ppl would be in trouble

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:32 AM
  #189
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 783
vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
lol if you're required to know how to perform backward cross overs in order to attend an adult hockey for beginners class, then a lot of ppl would be in trouble
I wasn't sure if they expect you to take a beginners skating class prior to the hockey one. I'm so new to this I have no idea what to expect haha

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:14 PM
  #190
NewClearWinter
Registered User
 
NewClearWinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: College Station, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Thought I'd "brag" a little bit:

After two seasons of playing in my novice league, I FINALLY got my first goal!! woot woot! It ended up being the championship winner no less!

NewClearWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:46 PM
  #191
Copeland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I wasn't sure if they expect you to take a beginners skating class prior to the hockey one. I'm so new to this I have no idea what to expect haha
They do, but backwards crossovers are definitely not in the 'beginner skating' repertoire... Lol

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:09 PM
  #192
qmechanic
Registered User
 
qmechanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
How competent does my skating need to be for me to feel comfortable taking a Adult Hockey for Beginners class? Do i need to be able to skate backwards well (backwards cross-overs and such)? I feel quite good skating and as i've said before can hockey stop left side forward. Is this enough that i would be ok if I signed up?
The fact it says "beginners" means you should be fine. You want to start playing hockey as soon as you can, because then all the skating that you're doing will start to make sense. To be honest, unless you play defense, you don't really use backwards skating. Occasionally, as a forward, you'll do some backwards crossovers to move laterally. When I play hockey, the main things I use are forward stride, tight turns, transitions, and forward stops.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:51 PM
  #193
ShaggyRogers
Mystery in Tampa
 
ShaggyRogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Went skating every week for 14 weeks. That was the first time I put on a pair of skates. I realized how much I loved it. I had to teach myself everything so far and I think I'm making progress.

ShaggyRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:12 PM
  #194
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist
 
Rubber Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,046
vCash: 500
So I'm joining a roller hockey league this summer. It'll be my first time playing in 7 years. I'm a little worried because I'll be playing with people who have been playing their whole lives, and I'm way out of shape. I'll probably be playing defense, which is what I played years ago. I'll check out the Defense Tip Thread too, but can anyone give me some general tips on what I can do as far as positioning and making sure people don't just skate right past me or around me?

Also, some conditioning advice would be greatly appreciated.


Last edited by Rubber Biscuit: 05-22-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:43 AM
  #195
steev182
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: England
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Just had my 2nd time in full equipment on ice last night.

It was just a stick and puck, but everyone else was putting on full equipment, so I thought to myself, "there's no harm in putting it all on, I'll only have myself to blame if I hurt myself from not wearing my pants and falling on my arse".

I felt much better out there, I did miss the puck a couple of times, but can see why, I seem to miss when my hand right hand is too far up the stick. I can pick up the puck fine with the stick in my left hand, then bring it over so I'm holding the stick with both hands, I also tried to keep my knees bent at all times, which helped, I didn't lose my balance after trying to hit the puck. I even got the puck into a goal, which was a big thing for me - despite no goalie being there and the puck only moving at 35mph...

Wanted to see if they had any better skates for me before I started, they only had low end Bauers and Eastons (still better than mine, with super flexible ankles) but none in 10s or 9s (which I think are actually the right size for me). He suggested I go to Wonderland at Chelsea Piers, so I'll go there before my next time on the ice.

In the meantime, I put the 120" laces on my skates, used the lace tightener and ended up with enough lace to wrap around my ankles. Not ideal, but it meant I was able to do a few crossovers and skate for the entire session without ending up on my inside edges all the time. The equipment is great though, all comfortable, except for the velcro of the elbow pads, I think I'll always need to use long sleeve under shirts as they weren't that bad with them...

steev182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:27 AM
  #196
donkers*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
So I'm joining a roller hockey league this summer. It'll be my first time playing in 7 years. I'm a little worried because I'll be playing with people who have been playing their whole lives, and I'm way out of shape. I'll probably be playing defense, which is what I played years ago. I'll check out the Defense Tip Thread too, but can anyone give me some general tips on what I can do as far as positioning and making sure people don't just skate right past me or around me?

Also, some conditioning advice would be greatly appreciated.
I don't recommend you playing D. It's not an "easier" position.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:05 AM
  #197
Maccas
Registered User
 
Maccas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
Well its been a little while since I checked in here!
I've just spent the last couple of days in Belfast playing some puck against the NI Tridents and watching some field hockey (Pretty girls with Irish accents wearing short skirts= Heaven!).
Had a fantastic game against the Tridents, we lost 10-2 and it was fairly one sided but it was played in great spirit and personally I had a fairly good game, with a lack of possession my game was mostly forechecking which I did relatively well, I was skating well and my speed seemed to cause the D a fair few problems.
The ice was absolutely superb and being what seemed like an olympic sized rink there was loads of space to play so it was a good end to end game.
It was intended as an advert for the upcoming World Police & Fire games which are to be held in Belfast next year and we had a fairly good crowd there which made a big change for me!
Both teams:

Me in white, attempting a pass back to my centre after charging round the back of the net:

Waiting for a pass and the back door which sadly never made it to me!:

Breaking out of the zone:


It was a thoroughly enjoyable couple of days (we stayed up until 5 in the morning drinking) and we were made very welcome and looked after very well by the Tridents, if anyone has the opportunity to come to Belfast next year for the games then I definitely suggest it.

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 03:13 AM
  #198
CunniJA
Registered User
 
CunniJA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Estes Park, Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
My first ever ice hockey league game tonight and it kicked ass and so did I. We won 4-3 on a goal with just over two minutes to go. I was playing left wing and I had two assists including one on that game winner and I'm currently tied for the league lead in points :p Did wonders for my confidence. Seems going to a drop-in that features a lot of college players does wonders too.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:45 AM
  #199
dpressma
Rookie User
 
dpressma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Bought my first two pieces of equipment this week. Up to this point I've only had a pair of skates which I really have come to love. They were the Vapor X1.0. At first I would always lace up to the top eyelet and I would get pain at the tops of my shin and had a hard time getting a deep bend, but the last two times I have left the top eyelet undone and it is way more comfortable and my technique has been able to improve ten fold. Definitely not for everybody, but that is working for me...

Anyway, I bought the Easton Stealth S9 helmet and then bought the S9 cage separately. I've only been wearing the helmet around the house so far, but I'm going to start wearing it in public skate to help break it in and also because I nearly cracked my skull doing backwards crossover drills. I don't really care how much of a bender I look like in a helmet/cage at public skate.

Also a huge tip for my fellow beginners that I learned is to put waxed laces in your boots!! I kept having to re-tie my skates 2 or 3 times during a public sesh. Not only was I wasting ice time on the bench, but it was a pain in the ass having your boots become loose and unstable and not completely messing you up. The wax laces will not move an inch. Just a quick inexpensive fix to help make learning how to skate easier.

dpressma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:29 PM
  #200
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 783
vCash: 219
I'm looking to get my first pair of pants, but after trying (CCM 09's) them on, I'm literally stuck between two sizes (LG and XL). I do plan on losing some weight, but it probably won't be a ton. Any suggestions?

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.