HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to make skates tight around ankle

Old
05-21-2012, 04:49 PM
FlyingEagle

vCash: 500
How to make skates tight around ankle

Any tips on making skates tight around ankle? I noticed that I often have too much space around ankle when skating. It's not fault of skates because I have this problem with ice-hockey skates and roller too. I think the problem is in tying. I appreciate any help

FlyingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:06 PM
steev182

Do they start off tight and then get loose? Do you use a lace tightener like this? http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ar-hocke...tightener.html

I bought one when I got a couple of pairs of new laces as I've found that my skates either don't have enough ankle support/laces get too loose during an hour of using them.

steev182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:42 PM
FlyingEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev182 View Post
Do they start off tight and then get loose? Do you use a lace tightener like this? http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ar-hocke...tightener.html

I bought one when I got a couple of pairs of new laces as I've found that my skates either don't have enough ankle support/laces get too loose during an hour of using them.
No never heard of this I should find it somewhere in local store and try it because its so annoying when you are in key position and you can't control the skates. Thank you

Old
05-21-2012, 05:57 PM
PuckHogs29

Here's what I do, I'll try and explain it without pictures. But when you get to the second to last eyelet, instead of crossing over, go to the top on the same side and put the laces through from the outside to make a loop, THEN cross them over and tie them through those loops. I've used this for years and it keeps my skates the way I like them. Snug but not constricting.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Waxed laces will prevent your skates from loosening a bit during play. My pet peeve was having to retie my skates on the bench since I like mine super tight. Waxed laces were the answer.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:51 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
Here's what I do, I'll try and explain it without pictures. But when you get to the second to last eyelet, instead of crossing over, go to the top on the same side and put the laces through from the outside to make a loop, THEN cross them over and tie them through those loops. I've used this for years and it keeps my skates the way I like them. Snug but not constricting.
This's an excellent method, the floating knot will stay in place longer and won't put as much pressure as a regular knot. Try this and see if it helps.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:55 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Yes, waxed laces help a lot in this regard.

Quote:
Huh, I tie my running shoes like this, but it never occurred to me to try that with my skates. I'll have to try that out.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:23 PM
7toZulu

Quote:
^ I do the same thing

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:26 PM
FlyingEagle

Quote:
Awesome tip, thanks!

Old
05-23-2012, 07:44 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDw1I4XwQI

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:07 AM
AIREAYE

Yes, a floating knot.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:46 PM
TUCKER 06

Wax laces are your friend. that is all.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I definitely need to try the floating knot out. I tie as tight as I can with wax laces and tape around the ankles. Without fail, about 20-25 mins in, I have to un tape the left skate and re tie it at least once.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Frankie Spankie

I used to go with cloth laces and could never get them to stay tight. It was also a pain to get them tight to begin with. I switched to wax laces and stopped using my lace tightener, I now get the laces much tighter. I should try that floating knot trick though, looks interesting.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:07 AM
hockeymass

That floating knot thing is so simple and brilliant. Can't wait to test it out tomorrow at stick and puck.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:02 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
i use it for some of my students, but i'm curious if it has any side effects on the eyelets?

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh that thing, yeah I tried it, it ended up screwing my ankle mobility up even worse. I must just have godawful technique. But I can't even try that now with my Grafs, it won't make a difference.

I have the opposite problem, with my skates being way too tight on the foot but then they keep loosening near the ankle. Think I might go back to unwaxed laces next week and see how that goes.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Wooty

I always have found if you can get the boot to have the heal lock on the foot then pretty much very little matters except for consistency.

Wax laces are helpful and I also had some skates that had some lace bite. I got some of those gel things you put around your ankle (above the ankle bone) and now I love them. They make the skate so comfortable and even the pucks don't sting

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:12 PM
TowMater14

Just wrap the clear stretchy sock tape around your ankles after tying them up tight!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep my skates have insanely great heel lock and there's no issues. So important, #1 thing IMO for skates.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yep my skates have insanely great heel lock and there's no issues. So important, #1 thing IMO for skates.
Every time I take a kid out skating for the first time I try to get them to get that part tied in correctly. It is hard to explain it to them.

The rinks need a how to tie your skates sheet!

Old
05-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I was more referring to the fit of the skate.

One of the Wild board mods I skated with is a great skater and his coach used to make him skate without laces. Wow.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Wooty

Quote:
I was more referring to the fit of the skate.

One of the Wild board mods I skated with is a great skater and his coach used to make him skate without laces. Wow.
I saw a video of an NHL player doing this but I can't remember who it was. it sure was impressive.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Oh that thing, yeah I tried it, it ended up screwing my ankle mobility up even worse. I must just have godawful technique. But I can't even try that now with my Grafs, it won't make a difference.

I have the opposite problem, with my skates being way too tight on the foot but then they keep loosening near the ankle. Think I might go back to unwaxed laces next week and see how that goes.
I had the same experience with the floating knot this weekend. Really cut down on my ankle forward flex and actually caused some pain. I think I just need waxed laces.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
I had the same experience with the floating knot this weekend. Really cut down on my ankle forward flex and actually caused some pain. I think I just need waxed laces.
You try doing the trick 1 lace hole down? It might be a good balance