HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cage wearers PSA

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2012, 11:16 AM
donkers*

vCash: 500
I don't fight for pucks in the corners because I only wear a visor and no mouthguard. I know the risks of not wearing a cage and play accordingly but I am aware stuff happens in hockey. I have no one else to blame but myself if something happens.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Again, no ****, I know things will happen. It still doesn't mean that it's ok to swing your stick wherever. It's on YOU to keep your stick down, not on me to armor my face so that you can sling your stick wherever you want.
Right and wrong is irrelevant here. If your goal is to rant then carry on.

On the other hand, if your goal is to prevent facial injuries then wear some protection. It will be much more effective than trying to convince every single player you play with to "be more careful".

Old
05-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
If anyone chirps me about my cage, I chirp at them about their "teeth".

I play occasionally for fun, as most of my town league-thing does, but some guys are just dicks. Most of us wear cages, so you don't get it often, but it's pretty funny. I'm hit up high almost every game. It's not worth the money of dental repair or being blind.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I got smacked in the face by a guy wearing no visor/cage. Thankfully I wear a cage.

Maybe this thread should just read "Anyone who plays hockey, control your stick and keep it low."
Yeah i mean i've had guys wearing visors lift my stick into their own face inadvertently.

You can't control how other people play. If you don't want to be hit in the face then cover it. Starting a thread is not a real solution.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:28 PM
goalie29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post

On the other hand, if your goal is to prevent facial injuries then wear some protection. It will be much more effective than trying to convince every single player you play with to "be more careful".
Exactly.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
I have to wear a cage, minor hockey rules. Can't wait to use a visor though.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
05-28-2012, 12:35 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post

I don't think anyone's ranting, bro. Just saying that it's dumb to blame someone for getting high sticked in the face.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:36 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
Exactly.
Exactly nothing. Keep your stick down, don't expect everyone to wear a cage.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:30 PM
FANonymous

When you're given the option to either fully protect your face or not fully protect your face and you choose the latter, don't expect sympathy when **** happens. I doubt many of the people who hit others with high sticks are doing it on purpose, but you purposefully chose not to wear a cage. You know the risks.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:38 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
When you're given the option to either fully protect your face or not fully protect your face and you choose the latter, don't expect sympathy when **** happens. I doubt many of the people who hit others with high sticks are doing it on purpose, but you purposefully chose not to wear a cage. You know the risks.
That's like telling someone to wear a hardhat if they don't want people smacking them in the head. Yeah, it would protect them, but you shouldn't be smacking people in the head, so really the suggestion to wear a hardhat is redundant and pointless. If I want to wear a hardhat, I will, but if I don't, it's not automatically my fault if someone smacks me in the head.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 05-28-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: unnecessarily confrontational
Old
05-28-2012, 03:04 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger View Post
A little more info. Highsticked by a high school kid at pick up. Ive got a / line across both my lips. Fat, swollen, and I think it fractured my septum. Luckily I already had my teeth knocked out so I didnt lose any this time.
That is exactly why I wear a cage.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:12 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
That's like telling someone to wear a hardhat if they don't want people smacking them in the head. Yeah, it would protect them, but you shouldn't be smacking people in the head, so really the suggestion to wear a hardhat is redundant and pointless. If I want to wear a hardhat, I will, but if I don't, it's not automatically my fault if someone smacks me in the head.
Nope, that'd be like telling someone who works construction to wear a hard hat. You're putting yourself in an environment where the chances are higher than normal that you could be hit in the face with something.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:12 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
This argument really only works if getting smacked in the head accidentally were a frequent occurrence. While players should be responsible for their sticks at all times, high-sticking does happen accidentally fairly often. I can't remember the last time I was accidentally smacked in the head.

I know the example in the OP referenced high-sticks, but wearing a cage protects from more than just errant high-sticks...

Old
05-28-2012, 03:13 PM
sbkbghockey

Wearing a cage doesn't have as much of an impact on responsible play as many people think. It does have a drastic impact reducing the severity and frequency of facial, eye, and dental injuries and a slight impact reducing the severity of concussions. The biggest impact cages have on play is that players may be more inclined to get into shooting lanes and block more shots. High sticks are occurring with more frequency in all levels of hockey because the stick manufacturers' use of lighter components. A slight lift can cause the new sticks to fly up in the air that wouldn't have occurred with a heavier wood stick.

Unless you're getting paid to play, it's a good idea that players use a cage or at the very least 1/2 shield. With lighter sticks and the stick technology helping to increase shot strength, it's become a changing part of the game to have more facial protection.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:17 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
This argument really only works if getting smacked in the head accidentally were a frequent occurrence. While players should be responsible for their sticks at all times, high-sticking does happen accidentally fairly often. I can't remember the last time I was accidentally smacked in the head.

I know the example in the OP referenced high-sticks, but wearing a cage protects from more than just errant high-sticks...
Not if you play with people who can control their sticks...

Once again this becomes a thread full of cage wearers trying to convince everyone.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:18 PM
r3cc0s

outside of minor hockey players who have to wear cages...

usually people who do, usually aren't good at hockey, and that usually translates to poor balance, skating and poor stick control

Old
05-28-2012, 03:19 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Not if you play with people who can control their sticks...
Well, I guess you just need to do a better job of screening who you play with then. Have fun with that.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:20 PM
doobie604

Quote:
you mean like wearing at hard hat at a construction site? chances of getting smacked in the head is slim, but required to wear it because you shouldn't chance things like that. sure players should keep sticks down, but it's like telling noobs to score, receive a pass, or stay onside. i'm sure they want to, but it's just out of their control.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:21 PM
TJD

I started out wearing a shield and was on the receiving end of plenty of fat lips and stitches (never lost teeth luckily). After watching buddies get their teeth knocked out finally enough was enough.

At 22 I decided I didn't need to wear a visor anymore. While it may be less distracting than a cage and might look more "cool", it all came down to what was more important. Wearing a cage and working though the visibility issues, or potentially one day having to fork over a few grand to fix my mouth with surgery.

It doesn't matter who they are or what they have on, guys will get their sticks up. Does one have a tendency of getting their stick up more? Maybe. But that's the risk you take for wearing the visor/no cage.

Either you can put your face in other peoples hands (no pun necessary. i.e. Visor) or you can keep the expenses down for yourself (cage).

You know what can happen and the risks you are taking, so nobody feels bad for you when you complain about some "noob cage wearer not controlling his stick" over the internet. Either accept that life isn't perfect and things like this WILL happen, or toss on a cage and enjoy the game for what it is (wearing a visor isn't it).

Old
05-28-2012, 03:24 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Well, I guess you just need to do a better job of screening who you play with then. Have fun with that.
Or terribles need to keep their sticks down. That shouldn't be too difficult though, because it's in the rules. So by definition, high sticks should be very easy to keep out of the game, no?

We should just have a sticky with one sentence in it:

"If you do not wear a cage you are bad and dumb and responsible for the collapse of society, you reckless shmuck. Shame on you."

Seriously, good for you, wear your cage. Don't try to tell other people that they're dumb for not wearing one.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:27 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Or terribles need to keep their sticks down. That shouldn't be too difficult though, because it's in the rules. So by definition, high sticks should be very easy to keep out of the game, no?
not when newbs are tripping over the red and blue lines... damned those things, hard to avoid apparently

Old
05-28-2012, 03:28 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
So anyone who ever high sticks anyone else at any level of hockey is terrible? Bet some of the guys in the NHL might have something to say about that.

**** happens. Either stop crying about it or take proper precautions to minimize damage done. Expecting everyone else to solve your problems for you isn't going to get you far.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Wooty

Black and white thinking is bad.

The quality of player or player ability to control their stick is issue 1
What type of equipment you wear is issue 2

Old
05-28-2012, 03:32 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
So anyone who ever high sticks anyone else at any level of hockey is terrible? Bet some of the guys in the NHL might have something to say about that.

**** happens. Either stop crying about it or take proper precautions to minimize damage done. Expecting everyone else to solve your problems for you isn't going to get you far.
Why do you insist that I'm crying? All I am saying is that the person who gets high sticked is not at fault, something that the Kage Wearers Krew brosquad seems intent on disputing.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:35 PM
TJD

Risk:

Not wearing seatbelt
Smoking
Being a Leafs fan (I kid... kind of)
Not wearing a cage

Potential repercussions:
Terribly injured/killed if in an accident
Cancer
Stanley Cup Droughts (I kid again... kind of)
Sticks to the face

You know what you are getting into, so either go with it, or don't.

Closed Thread