HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Mellanby named Director of Player Personnel

Old
05-28-2012, 12:37 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Trevor Timmins.
So TT had a dual role with that and being the head of scouting?

Easy to see how that wouldn't be ideal.

So is this more for professional development? For example...like a guy for Sergei Kostitysn to help him learn how to become a full time NHL'er

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Issacar

Good news, I think we were the only team who didn't had one person for this position.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Not sure why you bring up gainey or anyone would bring up gauthier either(just incase people do) as neither held this position before being fired.

Might as well say Pierre Dagenais lol, good riddance. Not much relevance.
I'm bringing it up, because Gainey never had the balls to reinvent this team.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:39 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Awesome, this is exactly what I wanted the Habs to do once Gauthier was fired. A fresh start and it's exactly what the Habs have done so far. Really ain't going to miss the Gainey-Gauthier duo!
I would have loved for Gainey to be part of the team that brought the Habs back to consistent contender.

It's too bad he'll be more remmebered for his protege Gauthier, and the awful Gomez trade instead of the many good moves he made for the team.

Old
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Beauty move. Mellanby is a really good hockey person and was a great character player in the league (believe he was traded for $1 once).

Diffusing the responsibilities and putting it in the hands of good hockey minds means the focus can be put on specific areas. We have a lot of money, we should be hiring a lot of people and assembling a strong staff.

A breath of fresh air.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Trevor Timmins.

GagnonFrancois:

GagnonFrancois:

Translationg: Timmins will be in charge of drafting the players and Mellanby will take care of developing them.
Great news!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I didn't mind TT in the dual role. I felt habs pro team dropped the ball on development, not timmins.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:41 PM
KadrüH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Who was our last director of player personnel?
Timmins

KadrüH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
This is Player Personnel, guys, not Player Development (Timmins). Don't confuse the two.
Dudley is very much a seen-him-good, athleticism-uber-alles sort of guy who strikes me as having a very traditional, old-school view of the game and how to build a team. It's hard to pin Bergevin given that he has so little track record, but if he was Dudley's protege and hired him so quickly one would think he shares that view.

The Habs ideally need someone to bring the innovative, new-school, analytical view of the game that's in use in places like Boston, Pittsburgh, San Jose and (especially) Vancouver. I don't think having just traditionalists cuts it anymore.

Mind you, it's hard to tell, because most of those guys have so little in the way of track record. Dudley's the only one that has a body of work we can refer to, but judging by his comments about the Leafs... well, if he wasn't just being nice for the media (and he may have been), IMO the Habs are going to need a balancing voice.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
overlords
Hfboards

yes! Called it.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm bringing it up, because Gainey never had the balls to reinvent this team.
Actually, he did. What he did was pretty nuts in letting the entire core go and replaced them. Maybe not reinventing the team, but I certainly doubt Gainey felt much hesisitance if he believed in something. Don't want to start a Gainey debate, just saying, don't think that's an accurate statement. Obviously, didn't go as well as planned and won't deny that, just talking about gainey's character.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Beauty move. Mellanby is a really good hockey person and was a great character player in the league (believe he was traded for $1 once).

Diffusing the responsibilities and putting it in the hands of good hockey minds means the focus can be put on specific areas. We have a lot of money, we should be hiring a lot of people and assembling a strong staff.

A breath of fresh air.
I don't agree with that. Money and big names (even in hockey operations) don't equal to better results. I won't get into example (you just have to look at our neighbors in Toronto).

I prefer to choose one great mind (the GM - Marc Bergevin), and let him build a team he's comfortable with and that complements him. I prefer having one great mind surrounded by a supporting cast, then have 4 potential GMs trying to work together when they all have different styles/visions.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:43 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Translation: Timmins will be in charge of drafting the players and Mellanby will take care of developing them.
Bit worrisome, since this is clearly trying to fix what's not broke. Also, wonder what Timmins thinks of this.

OTOH, a team like the Habs absolutely should use its wealth to bring in as much FO talent as it can. No salary cap there.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:44 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Bit worrisome, since this is clearly trying to fix what's not broke. Also, wonder what Timmins thinks of this.
Unless it comes with a pay reduction I imagine Timmins is glad he can focus on what his job should actually be, as opposed to having to do 2 things.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I don't agree with that. Money and big names (even in hockey operations) don't equal to better results. I won't get into example (you just have to look at our neighbors in Toronto).

I prefer to choose one great mind (the GM - Marc Bergevin), and let him build a team he's comfortable with and that complements him. I prefer having one great mind surrounded by a supporting cast, then have 4 potential GMs trying to work together when they all have different styles/visions.
Toronto also doesn't have the foundation the Habs have. Also Dudley only spent a year there and Nonnis been there for about 2. Need more time than that but I don't see why more hockey people with lots of knowledge would hurt

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

That doesn't sound like the same title that TT had. Wasn't he Director of development as opposed to Director of player personel.

Maybe Gagnon made another slip, or the Habs changed their 'titles' for the GM's subs.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I'm not worried but I agree, it wasn't broken. We had no problems with players up to the AHL level. All did very well. It was NHL management that seemed to fail.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:46 PM
SaskRinkRat

Quote:
Dudley is very much a seen-him-good, athleticism-uber-alles sort of guy who strikes me as having a very traditional, old-school view of the game and how to build a team. It's hard to pin Bergevin given that he has so little track record, but if he was Dudley's protege and hired him so quickly one would think he shares that view.

The Habs ideally need someone to bring the innovative, new-school, analytical view of the game that's in use in places like Boston, Pittsburgh, San Jose and (especially) Vancouver. I don't think having just traditionalists cuts it anymore.

Mind you, it's hard to tell, because most of those guys have so little in the way of track record. Dudley's the only one that has a body of work we can refer to, but judging by his comments about the Leafs... well, if he wasn't just being nice for the media (and he may have been), IMO the Habs are going to need a balancing voice.
Totally agree with this. This was my one question-mark in evaluating all of the GM candidates, and part of the reason I slightly favoured Pierre Mcguire for the post. Granted, there is not any telling reason to suspect Mcguire to be any less old-school than Bergevin might turn out to be.

I really hope the front office will incorporate an innovative approach to managing the Habs going forward. We'll be left in the dust if we don't.

SaskRinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
That doesn't sound like the same title that TT had. Wasn't he Director of development as opposed to Director of player personel.

Maybe Gagnon made another slip, or the Habs changed their 'titles' for the GM's subs.
I think so too. I thought player personnel dealt with the vets as well and not just 'development'.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:47 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

While I agree with you to an extent, the fact is that many teams in the league couldn't afford to birng in the guys like Montreal can. With an inexperienced GM it's good to have a bunch of guys with various types of experience to lend a helping hand.

I also think having different styles and visions could be a good thing, provided it doesn't create strife it's good to see and hear other viewpoints.

The thing I really want to hear is that the habs are hiring more and more scouts. One area that simply cannot be disputed about the positive impact of it, IMO, is scouting.

How many full time scouts in Europe do the Habs have? I'd love to find a website where you can compare teams scouting staffs and costs. I don't believe it exists.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Toronto also doesn't have the foundation the Habs have. Also Dudley only spent a year there and Nonnis been there for about 2. Need more time than that but I don't see why more hockey people with lots of knowledge would hurt
It doesn't hurt, but it's just my philosophy that a good team is composed of the leader (whose instills the values and objectives for the team and the organization), and then he chooses the best people that buy into that. Not necessarily about getting big names with big dollar figures.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

Wiki says Carriere was hired in 2010 as Assistant GM/Player Personnel

Quote:
On July 16, 2010, Carriere joined the Montreal Canadiens as Assistant General Manager/Player Personnel
So I don't get it, is Mellanby taking Carriere's job a bit too? Is he a bridge between Timmins and Carriere/Dudley?

Old
05-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Issacar

Quote:
It doesn't hurt, but it's just my philosophy that a good team is composed of the leader (whose instills the values and objectives for the team and the organization), and then he chooses the best people that buy into that. Not necessarily about getting big names with big dollar figures.
You are talking as if they were bringing Scotty Bowman, Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson and Mike Babcock over.

I wouldn't call Scott Mellanby a big name with big dollar figures.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Very happy about this. I like the guy, and I really like the idea that Timmins will focus solely on scouting.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:53 PM
SB164

Just a quick note, Scott Mellanby was actually born in Montreal.

Welcome back home!

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote