HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schultz talk pt. 2

Old
05-28-2012, 09:04 AM
SensFan26

vCash: 500
Apparently the Ducks are getting ready to launch tampering charges if he signs with the Leafs cause they believe that the Leafs have been talking to him

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ustin-schultz/

SensFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:13 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan26 View Post
Apparently the Ducks are getting ready to launch tampering charges if he signs with the Leafs cause they believe that the Leafs have been talking to him

We are pretty sure Gardiner talks to him all the time, but, no tampering there, unless it was a conf call with Leafs management.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:27 AM
jgravessimcoe

Losing Schultz is a big loss for the Ducks' organization.

I can see this tampering racket being raised just to make it look like the ducks aren't just going to take the loss of Schultz while lying down, whether or not the rumours are true.

jgravessimcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Sundinisagod
Weed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
He got really lucky with NOT having the 1st overall pick lol, or we could very well add Alex Daigle instead of Pronger to that list. He is good at drafting depth players though. I honestly think drafting is more the scouts job so I don't see why this is even being debated when talking about Brian Burke, unless its a high pick of course
He traded up to get Pronger, he didn't hold the 2nd overall.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
When he was with Vancouver they were on a really tight budget and there wasn't enough resources to hire a top level scouting department. And it's too early to judge what he's done with Toronto, though his picks don't look too bad so far, they've performed well at their respective levels.
Really tight budget? Don't remember McCaw ever refusing to sign a cheque. Maybe the budget wasn't as high as Toronto's, but not tight.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
He's going to sign with Edmonton and turn out to be a big bust. He'll get picked up on waivers by the Jackets 35 games in and by the end of the season he'll have 62 points.
Nothing against the Oil per se, but I sincerely hope this is the case.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan26 View Post

I don't like the fact that this is happening especially now that Dudley has left our management team and gone to a big competitor.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:04 PM
lefty2time*

Asset management isnt drafting .....its how you manage your assets. It's acquiring good value for your assets through trade...or letting RFA's get poached, signing quality college players who were never drafted.....
The umberger crap was horrible asset management...

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:06 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
No, you should just not be so naive. I mean christ, they did a movie about this too, it was called Jerry Mcguire. "My word is my bond and it's stronger than oak" oh I signed with your rival while you were showing Cuba Gooding Jr around sorry.

You should take things being said with a grain of salt, it's never at face value. I mean, a few years back, Marian Gaborik bought a house in North Vancouver. He's going to sign with the Canucks right? he's found a place to live, he's been hinting at it. Out of nowhere, New York offers him more money and he bolts to the Rangers. No one I knew of at the time called him a dick for doing that.
I will gladly call him a dick for that. I'm sorry but out of the millions of players that never got to make it to the NHL and would have killed to be there, Justin is selfish to not want to at least fulfill is ELC with the team he was drafted by. I don't care if you hate the franchise you are with you sign the deal and leave after 2-3 years. You play you @$$ off and then get a bigger contract from teams you want to play for more. He is taking the little bitc h way out and to me that is losing a lot of respect in my book.
I really hope the new CBA is signed and somehow screws him over before he signs his contract. This is a huge problem and cost teams a lot of money in scouting etc. This system needs to close the loopholes or you are going to see teams losing out on players a lot more often and odds are it will be the small market teams that are hurt the most and end up costing the NHL a lot of $.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
I don't like the fact that this is happening especially now that Dudley has left our management team and gone to a big competitor.
You may not like it but if the Ducks can prove the Leafs did tamper even if it was Dudley, the Leafs management (Burke) should've been on top of the situation and not of allowed it to happen.

The question is can the Ducks prove it if this happens.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:15 PM
lefty2time*

This is a BC kid who isnt signing with the team that drafted him because he doenst want to play there.

He's obviously coming home..the safe bet is that he's going to want to play on the Canucks if they can promise him a spot int he top 6.

Should be a good summer for Canuck fans....Garrison said he'd want to play for the Canucks too.
Gillis should dump Ballard and pick up Schultz and Garrison

Hamhuis Edler
Garrison Bieksa
Schultz Salo
This is pretty decent...nice depth assuming Schultz can handle 14-16 mins a night.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Even if there are charges, the Leafs will still have Schultz.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopitaToDemitra View Post
This is a BC kid who isnt signing with the team that drafted him because he doenst want to play there.

He's obviously coming home..the safe bet is that he's going to want to play on the Canucks if they can promise him a spot int he top 6.
It most definitely isn't obvious, unless you think you know more about him than Ducks media people.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Even if there are charges, the Leafs will still have Schultz.
Prolly lookin at a 1st Rd pick.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:36 PM
ChillyPalmer

I seriously doubt the Leafs organization would be the ones tampering.

Not saying they never would, but the working relationship between Murray and Burke is pretty solid.

ChillyPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:40 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
Really tight budget? Don't remember McCaw ever refusing to sign a cheque. Maybe the budget wasn't as high as Toronto's, but not tight.
So Burkie kept the Canucks roster budget in the low $40ms on principle alone?

I know BB will cut off his nose to spite his face but he's not that stupid..

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:43 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Not hating on Burke. Just the people acting like he is the draft whisperer.
And who's doing that? Burke has never been lauded for his draft record, most people realize that his drafting has been average/decent but nothing amazing. It's more so his trading that gets hyped up (but he is good at it for the most part so it's understandable)

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:04 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post

I know BB will cut off his nose to spite his face but he's not that stupid..
I have no idea what Burke kept the payroll to or what he was willing to spend on players. What I do know is he had more than enough money for top level scouting if he wanted it. Canucks had a high payroll for not being a very good team during the late 90s, so I don't know why there would suddenly be a strict internal budget when the club actually started to improve both in the standings and financially. McCaw may not have been very involved with the club, but no fans ever criticized him for not signing cheques. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a Canuck that walked away because he wasn't being paid enough.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:16 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopitaToDemitra View Post

Should be a good summer for Canuck fans....Garrison said he'd want to play for the Canucks too.
Gillis should dump Ballard and pick up Schultz and Garrison

Hamhuis Edler
Garrison Bieksa
Schultz Salo
This is pretty decent...nice depth assuming Schultz can handle 14-16 mins a night.
Let's ignore what all the insiders are saying and just post what you want to happen.

He's also not from Vancouver. He's from Kelowna. It's about the same distance from Vancouver that Toronto is from Detroit. Like me saying Ottawa is home because it's in Ontario.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
I seriously doubt the Leafs organization would be the ones tampering.

Not saying they never would, but the working relationship between Murray and Burke is pretty solid.
Certainly solid for Burke.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:23 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Let's ignore what all the insiders are saying and just post what you want to happen.

He's also not from Vancouver. He's from Kelowna. It's about the same distance from Vancouver that Toronto is from Detroit. Like me saying Ottawa is home because it's in Ontario.
Kelowna and Vancouver have pretty close links. If he's not signing in Annaheim there must be a reason. The money and opportunity are available from the Ducks so what would make him decide not to sign there (assuming he doesn't sign)? At this point it's all conjecture but the only logical explanation I can come up with is location. That doesn't mean he's signing with Vancouver but it could mean that he wants to play in Canada all else being equal. Of course, I could be totally wrong as to what motivates him just like everyone else on here.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Koffein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
We are pretty sure Gardiner talks to him all the time, but, no tampering there, unless it was a conf call with Leafs management.
This is actually not true. Gardiner is allowed to talk to Schultz of course, but if he tries to convince Schultz to come to Toronto while being the property of another team it is concidered tampering by the league even if the management is not involved at all.
Proving it is a whole other issue though.

Quote:
Prolly lookin at a 1st Rd pick.
If the rumors are true, and if Anaheim in some way actually has evidence for it, the punishment would definitely exceed a 1st. NJ got a 1st and the option to switch a 1st from Blues because they discussed an offer sheet with Stevens before july 1. If a team would actually manage to tamper a player away from another organization and get busted for it, it would be plenty of picks lost and maybe even suspensions involved. Especially if it's Toronto since the league warned them about the repercussions tampering again after the Wilson deal.

Koffein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
I have no idea what Burke kept the payroll to or what he was willing to spend on players. What I do know is he had more than enough money for top level scouting if he wanted it. Canucks had a high payroll for not being a very good team during the late 90s, so I don't know why there would suddenly be a strict internal budget when the club actually started to improve both in the standings and financially. McCaw may not have been very involved with the club, but no fans ever criticized him for not signing cheques. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a Canuck that walked away because he wasn't being paid enough.
The team did have an internal budget back in the McCaw days. Something like 48M on player contracts

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I think initiially (at least for the first year or two) he was "instructed" to cut payroll.

In any event, teams like the Preds and Sabres (prior to their current owner) have been in a similiar posiition and I wouldn't call their amateur scouting departments an area of weakness in the past. For the Canucks, it's always been a sore spot in their entire history (even more embarrassing with respect to their own backyard - Western Canada).

Nothing wrong with 'nepotism' - that is if the person hired is competant. Unfortunately for the Canucks, it was often the case, they were in over their head (re: Canucks hiring ex-alumni).

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 05-28-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
Actually its still tampering if the talks include anything regarding becoming a maple leaf.

Think about it if that was allowed all teams could easily just tell players who have friends on other teams to talk up their team and convince them to come play there.

Sedins could be told by the Canucks to talk to other top swedes to come to Vancouver. Kesler and Booth could be told to talk to Parise and Suter to come to Vancouver to form part of team usa together.

yet if what u say was true, that would all be legal which is not the case because every single team would be telling its top players to go recruit other teams top players they've pplayed with and or are friends with

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote