HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan and Mike Smith: Game 5 Antics

Old
05-25-2012, 07:53 PM
VFL615*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
even doan knows he was wrong......

"But at the same time, everyone who has ever played in a playoff game has done the handshake line. Am I arrogant enough to think I'm the only player who felt bad? No. And in that situation, I have to be in better control of my emotions."

ouch.
No one said he did not lose his cool but he did not do anything to the extent of what some people are trying to paint.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:14 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

You know it's the offseason when this goes 4 pages, primarily about what happened over a handshake.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
You know it's the offseason when this goes 4 pages, primarily about what happened over a handshake.
Hahaha, yeah. Over a handshake concerning a player that in all likelihood has a 0% chance of ever leaving his current franchise. September can't come soon enough.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:52 PM
NoNecksCurse

september can't come soon enough... agreed.

thats a familiar phrase around these parts. this franchise has never experienced a deep run.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:49 AM
SouthernJ
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Peka has broke his stick over the goal and i have seen many other goalie do the same kind of things. He threw his stick it is your opinion he threw it at the refs. Players get misconducts all the time for showing their emotions. Rads acted aggressive towards the refs to in example of something more recent. Weber slammed another players head into the glass. It happens in every sport and with every team. With that said i think Smith is a ****** and the team lost its cool but it does not mean Shane Doan is not a good leader and player which is the topic at hand.
Wow, that's a nice river.

Pekka breaking a stick over a stick over a goal is different than going after/menacing an official that has been produced by the organization. If the difference is unclear, there's nothing to be said because you're comparing an apple with a kiwi here.

As for Weber, let me be clear...once again, as much as I love the Preds, there should be been a stiffer penalty for that action against the Detroit player. It was malicious. Just like Smith on Brown, Richards, anyone who was in his path after he lost a game....

Doan is the leader of that room. He is the foundation of the team's ethic on the ice. A coach can lead, inspire, but it's up to the captain to keep that tempo going during the game as a peer. If he whined, if he acted like a toddler, it doesn't show his leadership skills well at all - especially since two other players did as well. It falls on his shoulders, just like every captain - which is where I don't care for Weber for since he did the toddler reaction. It's part of the job. You lead by example, by being the bigger person. If the Hawks can reasonably not spit on the Coyotes after Hossa was taken out on a stretcher, I'm sure the Coyotes can manage to pull it together, too. Character and ethic are a major responsibility for leaders in this game. I've seem some pretty low leadership in that with Doan after Game 5. It makes me not want someone to lead a team I'm emotionally and geographically (of sorts) tied to because to move backwards would be bad for the franchise as a whole and they've clearly worked hard at getting better.

SouthernJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:35 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernJ View Post
Wow, that's a nice river.

Pekka breaking a stick over a stick over a goal is different than going after/menacing an official that has been produced by the organization. If the difference is unclear, there's nothing to be said because you're comparing an apple with a kiwi here.

As for Weber, let me be clear...once again, as much as I love the Preds, there should be been a stiffer penalty for that action against the Detroit player. It was malicious. Just like Smith on Brown, Richards, anyone who was in his path after he lost a game....

Doan is the leader of that room. He is the foundation of the team's ethic on the ice. A coach can lead, inspire, but it's up to the captain to keep that tempo going during the game as a peer. If he whined, if he acted like a toddler, it doesn't show his leadership skills well at all - especially since two other players did as well. It falls on his shoulders, just like every captain - which is where I don't care for Weber for since he did the toddler reaction. It's part of the job. You lead by example, by being the bigger person. If the Hawks can reasonably not spit on the Coyotes after Hossa was taken out on a stretcher, I'm sure the Coyotes can manage to pull it together, too. Character and ethic are a major responsibility for leaders in this game. I've seem some pretty low leadership in that with Doan after Game 5. It makes me not want someone to lead a team I'm emotionally and geographically (of sorts) tied to because to move backwards would be bad for the franchise as a whole and they've clearly worked hard at getting better.
I am clearly aware of the difference. I was responding to someone else who claims that showing any kind of emotion or displeasure is a lack of being a good leader or player. Specifically the opinion that Smith threw his stick at the refs which is clearly false. Did he throw his stick? Yes. I was using Peka breaking his stick over the goal as a close example of a player showing emotion and losing control just like Smith did with throwing his stick. As far as him "going after" the officials i have seen hundreds of other players lose their cool and show displeasure towards the officials.

Shane Doan would be far from moving backwards compared to some of the players currently on this team. A guy speaking his opinion after a tough season ending loss does not make him a bad leader. The guy has been in the NHL a long time and all you hear from people who actually know what they are talking about is that he is a great player and leader. Again ask Barry Trotz what he thinks about him. People make mistakes because they are human. The doubters will see this summer how many teams are fighting for his services.

Interesting article for people who think no way he leaves the Yotes.
http://tucsoncitizen.com/sports-news...hip-stability/

Old
05-27-2012, 04:18 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
I am clearly aware of the difference. I was responding to someone else who claims that showing any kind of emotion or displeasure is a lack of being a good leader or player. Specifically the opinion that Smith threw his stick at the refs which is clearly false.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/sports-news...hip-stability/
1. showing emotions fine. losing one's head is not ok. there is a difference,a big one in a fiery leader and a guy who acted like a 2 year old that had his toy taken away.

2. Re: Smith throwing his stick. Which direction does he throw his stick? who is standing in that direction? It is kinda like brett lawrie flippin his lid the other night. kid threw his helmet down in the direction of the ump, it took a bounce and hit the ump. smith is lucky he didn't hit one of the refs that was standing in the area where smith (did not?) throw his stick.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:05 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
1. showing emotions fine. losing one's head is not ok. there is a difference,a big one in a fiery leader and a guy who acted like a 2 year old that had his toy taken away.

2. Re: Smith throwing his stick. Which direction does he throw his stick? who is standing in that direction? It is kinda like brett lawrie flippin his lid the other night. kid threw his helmet down in the direction of the ump, it took a bounce and hit the ump. smith is lucky he didn't hit one of the refs that was standing in the area where smith (did not?) throw his stick.
1.I never saw him stomping or crying like a two year old would if it had its toy taken. I have also never seen a two year speak his mind like Doan. You must not be around the same two year olds i am around.

2. With the amount of refs on the ice in different positions i find it kinda hard to not throw it in a refs direction. Was he throwing it at the ref? I have not seen or heard of a legit soarce saying so. Just some people with opinions on a message board.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:02 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
1.I never saw him stomping or crying like a two year old would if it had its toy taken. I have also never seen a two year speak his mind like Doan. You must not be around the same two year olds i am around.

2. With the amount of refs on the ice in different positions i find it kinda hard to not throw it in a refs direction. Was he throwing it at the ref? I have not seen or heard of a legit soarce saying so. Just some people with opinions on a message board.
nice piece from dean lombardi:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,0,54711.story

my favorite part: Kings President and General Manager Dean Lombardi had strong words on Friday about the behavior of some of the Phoenix Coyotes players, condemning the post-game actions of goalie Mike Smith, who threw his stick toward an official and later lashed out at the officiating.

Lombardi asserted that Smith incited the crowd at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, Ariz., after the Kings beat the Coyotes, 4-3, in overtime in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals. He referenced European soccer and the rules governing the actions of the players in terms of inciting the crowd.

"What the courts said was that because the players attacked the officials -- because the players showed such disrespect for the officials -- that incited the crowd," Lombardi told The Times on Friday. "They blamed the players. Because those players were conducting themselves like that, it incited the crowd.

"There’s a lot to that. If those guys are acting in that manner toward the officials, it's a license for the crowd to do the same. What Smith did, he threw that stick at an official and then right after that, somebody is throwing a beer can at [Kings Coach] Darryl Sutter and our captain [Dustin Brown].

"That's why Europe has that rule. You are responsible for that riot if you are going to show that lack of respect for officials."

His comments came a day after the NHL said it was investigating the incident and the Coyotes' actions, according to ESPN.com. NHL executive vice president Colin Campbell told the website that the actions were "unprofessional and unacceptable."

Old
05-28-2012, 10:39 AM
VFL615*

Again it is not that hard to throw a stick in the direction of a ref. How can you not unless you throw it directly behind the net into the mesh.

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 05-28-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Deleted the 2nd paragraph
Old
05-28-2012, 12:33 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

How about he doesn't throw his stick at all? And considering there are only four officials on the entire playing surface I fail to see how tossing it into the netting is the only way he could have thrown his stick without it being towards or near an official.

Though I stand by the "don't throw your stick at all" opinion.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:04 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

the refs are by the scorekeepers area, smith skates over and throws/slides his stick in their direction. I know to get their attention and cry, but fact is his stick did not get to the refs skates on accident.

I guess I want someone to explain what was unprofessional and inappropriate f Doan wasn't crying like a baby and smith didn't throw a stick. Did they get game misconducts because they were good sports?

Old
05-28-2012, 02:16 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

No one is discussing the likelihood of Doan coming here anymore, and editing the title seemed like a better option than moving posts to other threads.

Title has been changed...

Old
05-28-2012, 02:17 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
How about he doesn't throw his stick at all? And considering there are only four officials on the entire playing surface I fail to see how tossing it into the netting is the only way he could have thrown his stick without it being towards or near an official.

Though I stand by the "don't throw your stick at all" opinion.
you are wrong

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip684457#clip684457

go to the 2:55 mark. I don't know what to call an overhand motion where you release an object other than throwing it. There are two refs standing there. You tell me.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:32 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
you are wrong

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip684457#clip684457

go to the 2:55 mark. I don't know what to call an overhand motion where you release an object other than throwing it. There are two refs standing there. You tell me.
You misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not saying he didn't throw his stick (worded it poorly). I'm saying he shouldn't throw it at all.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:02 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
You misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not saying he didn't throw his stick (worded it poorly). I'm saying he shouldn't throw it at all.
gotcha now. sorry, I thought I was arguing with a brick wall

Last edited by TMI: 05-28-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: unnecessary