HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Mellanby named Director of Player Personnel

Old
05-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Issacar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Guy isn't going anywhere though.

I'd be ecstastic if one of those guys you mentioned was brought on.

But all the names we hear about are Hartley, Crawford and Therrien.

Blech. All I have to say to that.
Agreed that Guy isn't leaving Tampa. I was just stating him...

You talk as if any of those guys were old timer coaches, which they really aren't. I think that it's a mistake to underestimate the experience of a coach, these guys are proven winners and they have done so at multiple levels.

I would say bleh if you named me a guy like Mike Keenan as an example.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:31 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I really like Mellanby and his character, this is a positive addition no matter what. Gainey, lol... good riddance
This is a good addition...as for your Gainey remark are you saying Gainey had no character??? One of the most respected men in the game, and you say good riddance...the guy did an awful lot for the Habs franchise, and deserves a little more respect, wouldn't you think?

Anyhow, Bergevin is assembling a great team, and this is all very positive news...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Bergevin brings positivity to this franchise.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:36 PM
MrExpos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I love this, this is shaping up to be a turning point in the Montreal Canadiens history, they are actually going out and hiring knowledgable/English speaking professionals to get the job done! I think that the next move will be to hire the best coaching staff to coach and develop our team for years.

Cannot wait for the draft in June!
Bergevin is as québécois as they come. Mellanby and Carrière were born in Montreal and are billingual.

I don't care that much about the "french factor". I just tought that what you said sounded really wrong.

MrExpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Drunk World Order

A few friends and I met Mellanby about 4 years ago at Wayne Gretzkys restaurant during the summer. He was a super nice guy very open and well spoken. We joined him at the bar for a drink and he bought us a round as well. He also had a great sense of humor and laughed a lot during our conversation. He was meeting another former player I believe Paul Laus? for some drinks and then they were going down to see a Blue Jays game. Seemed like a very happy and positive person should be a great addition to the team! Welcome Scott!

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
Good addition for you guys. Back when Mellanby was working for the Canucks he was the one who urged Gillis to make an offer sheet on Backes in 2008... so clearly he has an eye for talent.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him as a GM for an NHL team in the future. He has developed a very good reputation in his post-playing career already.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I don't like to make the connections with the Thrashers. If Hartley comes here, he should be a new Hartley. I don't want us to be Atlanta Thrashers 2.0, with no playoff wins in franchise history.
Bob Hartley is said to rely heavily on veterans but shows little patience with young players.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Bob Hartley is said to rely heavily on veterans but shows little patience with young players.
He relied heavily on young Alex Tanguay during the Cup run and game 7 against the Devils back in 2001. Don't really believe that and every coach in every sport always will rely a little more on veterans

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Independently of my opinion of Harley, an honest question: is there a coach in the NHL who does NOT suffer from that criticism?

Seems to be the first complaint to come out against just about any coach.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:14 PM
VanNistelrooy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Independently of my opinion of Harley, an honest question: is there a coach in the NHL who does NOT suffer from that criticism?
His name is Lindy Ruff.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
His name is Lindy Ruff.
So why did Lindy Ruff start his veteran Ryan Miller 34 of the last 36 games despite Enroth having a good year?

Old
05-28-2012, 02:29 PM
VanNistelrooy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
So why did Lindy Ruff start his veteran Ryan Miller 34 of the last 36 games despite Enroth having a good year?
Because Miller, when he is in top shape, is arguably a top 5 NHL goalie while Enroth is not?

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:30 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

at this rate, i think i can rest easier. in that i have confidence in the status quo right now. that the coach will be a good decision whoever it ends up being.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
Because Miller, when he is in top shape, is arguably a top 5 NHL goalie while Enroth is not?
Miller wasn't having his best season since the Lucic hit but despite Enroth out playing him he constantly went back to him.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
This is exactly what the Habs have needed to do. Expand on their management staff. If you observe the Wings management team, there are assistants and multiple positions everywhere. Good on Molson on finding a guy who wants to work with others and also provide Bergevin with the resources.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:05 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

Seems to be the first complaint to come out against just about any coach.
Every single coach in the nhl does, experienced guys do things the right way because they have been around a long time, younger players make mistakes cause they have not been around a long time it's as simple as it gets. People who say otherwise are just stupid

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Miller wasn't having his best season since the Lucic hit but despite Enroth out playing him he constantly went back to him.
Well they needed Miller to bounce back. Miller at his best is much more valuable than Enroth. He eventually did and almost made the playoffs. You can't bench the MVP of the franchise.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:17 PM
MrNasty

I don't know about you guys but when I hear "Director of Player Personnel"...I don't think of player developement. I think of someone that works with the players with any issues, is a liason between coaches, managers and players and someone that would also help with off-ice issues, motivating guys etc...I could be wrong.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Schooner Guy

Good gawd! People are actually critiquing Lindy Ruff for riding Miller down the stretch? Now I've seen it all !

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Ryan Miller after the allstar break:

19-6-5 2.08 GAA .931 Save %

What was Ruff thinking playing him that much down the stretch...

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Good gawd! People are actually critiquing Lindy Ruff for riding Miller down the stretch? Now I've seen it all !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Ryan Miller after the allstar break:

19-6-5 2.08 GAA .931 Save %

What was Ruff thinking playing him that much down the stretch...
No one is critiquing the fact that Ruff started Miller, 1 poster said that Ruff was one that didn't rely much on veterans and the Miller starting 34 of the last 36 games was brought up since Enroth wasn't playing bad and could have been used more. Miller is the veteran and #1 and that's why he plays. But he trusted his veteran and that was the point read more people

Old
05-28-2012, 03:39 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Well , well...can't say I'm competant enough to judge all the new guys , but this breathe of fresh air is extremely thrilling.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:40 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Really nice addition. Liked him as a player...lot of character and energy. It's so great to see things finally change at the top. I'm so frigging happy to see this.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mellanby on TSN 990 right now.

EDIT:

- Scott grew up idolizing the Canadiens and Guy Lafleur, so it means a lot for him to be part of the organization.

- He's friends with Don Cherry, Don has done a lot for him and his family.

- Known for the rats in Florida, really proud of where the franchise is now. Hasn't done a lot of interviews without bringing it up.

- Scored first franchise goal in Atlanta.

- Worked for Mike Gillis in Vancouver, did some scouting and then went behind the bench with St-Louis.

- He's not afraid of saying: He's played 21 years in the NHL, he doesn't care if you are a broadcaster, commentator or owner, the greatest job for him is being a player. He can't be a player forever, and so he decided to stay in the NHL and worked in Vancouver. He liked having a say in what players could do and who to sign during free agency. When the opportunity to coach came on, he felt it was an opportunity he couldn't pass by. He has learned a lot from it, it's going to help him, but he knows his passion is in building a team and wants to make that his job. He loves scouting and evaluating.

- When Marc Bergevin got nominated, he thought of joining him. They played together in St-Louis, and they've talked in the past, Marc offered him a job with the Blackhawks but he wasn't ready, he had just retired.

- Marc called Doug Armstrong last week and asked to speak with Scott, and it was a short conversation, Mellanby wanted to work for the Habs.

- Left the Blues, and all the players were very supportive of him. He says he can't have that same relationship as he had as a coach, there are limitations on the relationship. It'll be more difficult for him at this point, as Player Personnel, there's more travelling and less time to be close to players. That's why it's important to put togehter a good coaching staff because it's their job to look after the players on a day-to-day basis.

- His relationship is with Marc. He has crossed paths with Dudley, they both scouted so they had opportunities to meet. Doesn't know him really that well. Rick is a guy he got to know through Marc, when he was in Chicago. Says Dudley is a class act with a great reputation in the league, the hardest working guy in hockey and has a great track record for evaluating player.

- The Canadiens over the last couple of years: "Like a lot of team, this league is a fine line". The right coaching staff makes the difference. 10% and 15% is the difference between 98 points and 88 points. It's our job to find the right players with the right attitude and behaviour to make that 10-15%, make the players around them better. He has coach in the Western conference last year so he doesn't know the East that well, he says tehre are a lot of good assets here (Montreal), and you have to build around that.

- Really excited at the opportunity to work with Marc, Rick and Larry.

-Decided to leave coaching to become management because: He saw Kirk Muller, and saw how much he loves coaching, and as an ex-player, he felt guilty because he was supposed to love it but he wasn't that passionate about coaching. He didn't mind it, but he cares so much about winning and losing (so do those guys (coaches)), but for him at times it was more frustrating and so he felt like he wanted to get on the ice and start playing... so for him it felt too close to being a player. He felt a part of the room and he realized he's a coaich and so he's not part of the room. As a management person, he gets to take a step back and isn't as emotionally invested in it. When he will be scouting, he can scout without feeling connected to the team. He felt he was too close in his time as a coach.

- Had a scrap with Chris Nilan. Knuckles was very excited when Scott Mellanby was linked to the Canadiens.

Last edited by Jack Bourdain: 05-28-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:45 PM
HomaridII

Conor McKenna ‏@mckennaconor
Mellanby on Melnick Show just now: "I grew up idolizing the Canadiens and Guy Lafleur."

Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
Mellanby didn't want to stay in coaching because of how time consuming it is, said he wanted a management job because sked is more flexible

Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
More Mellanby: Bergevin tried to get him to work for Hawks when he retired, but said he wasn't ready then....

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote