HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2012, 10:33 AM
punch1943

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Unlikely. Sieloff could be a late first round NHL pick, Barber will be a mid to late round pick. First couple rounds I'd say go the CHL route, but after that I'd be hard pressed to advise a kid to not go the school route.
Of course as a fan the educational aspect means little to me. If a kid /family feel
his future is definately in the NHL then the educational package is just a backup plan in case something goes wrong.

Still I'd love the Daily Double. It does seem that Miami has lost more than its share of recruits this year. The more they lose the more vulnerable they become.

Now that the top 100 are in TO for the draft combine perhaps we could see a bit more movement to the OHL.
The prospects will get a bit better idea of where the NHL teams prefer them to
play. Some teams prefer them to go the college route while others think they are better off in the OHL.
Of the Spit US draftees that would have an immediate impact the top choices
would have to be DiGiuseppe, Jordan Schmaltz and Barber.
DiGiuseppe apparently tailed off somewhat in the second half of his U of M season
while Schmaltz played well in GB Gamblers championship run. Barber did play well for the US NDTP and being from Livonia he'd be a lot closer to home than Miami of Ohio.
In any case I'd be happy as a pig in ***** is one of them decided to come.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:16 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
The way the Knights lost only puts a bow on the gift that will keep on giving for a Spits fan. The tears from London's failure are as sweet as any chocolate even Beyonce.

This begs the question of whether it's more important matter for the Spits to have a deep run this coming year or look loaded on paper for 2014. Substance or perception? Actual vs. prospects?

The format of the Memorial Cup essentially means that it is more important to be the best playing team in the tournament as opposed to the best team playing in the tournament. The one game knockout almost makes luck one of the biggest factors in winning the Cup.

It's not a fair tournament by any means but it's certainly not alone in non-title winning teams being able to win the big prize. All NCAA championships fit the format include the two most noteworthy in the BCS and March Madness.

Note that the Windsor Star and the Spitfires Twitter page are confirming Seiloff as well.

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Lo...860/story.html
I think there's a fair balance between substance/perception and the actual/prospects. This is a huge year for guys like Maletta and Bateman really the only 95's of note currently on the team that should make an impact. We know about Ho-Sang as well but a lot of improvement will need to come from the 17 year olds of last year.

A team like London doesn't have much of a case they lost to Shawinigan 2 times. Saint John has a better case as Shawinigan only split with them. We can throw Edmonton in but they looked real bad after their opener.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
hockeylegend11

Nice signing by Windsor,Seiloff will give that defence some much needed snarl
Defence should look like this excluding any further additions ie Euro draft

Ebert-Seiloff
Bateman-Posa
Braithwaite-Devlin

then
Bowen-Mcnaughton
Sanvido-Brown
Morrison-Kotsovos

Old
05-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Ottomatic

^I think a spot needs to be opened up for Sanvido in the bottom pairing. I think one of Braithwaite or Devlin would have to be moved with the other being the pairing with Sanvido with Bowen being the #7 capable of filling in for Sanvido to give him games off on occasion. We'd still have McNaughton and Graeme Brown for emergency depth.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Nice signing by Windsor,Seiloff will give that defence some much needed snarl
Defence should look like this excluding any further additions ie Euro draft

Ebert-Seiloff
Bateman-Posa
Braithwaite-Devlin

then
Bowen-Mcnaughton
Sanvido-Brown
Morrison-Kotsovos
It will be interesting to see how Seiloff adjusts. He likes to play a mean game but isn't very big to begin with. I can see him struggling a bit this year no different than Tinordi did in his first year. Tinordi does have 7 inches and around 20 pounds on Seiloff. Still more room to improve the D. Hopefully Seiloff rounds into form for 13/14.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:41 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
It will be interesting to see how Seiloff adjusts. He likes to play a mean game but isn't very big to begin with. I can see him struggling a bit this year no different than Tinordi did in his first year. Tinordi does have 7 inches and around 20 pounds on Seiloff. Still more room to improve the D. Hopefully Seiloff rounds into form for 13/14.
Which is probably what the Spits are thinking being more ready for 2013/14

Old
05-28-2012, 02:42 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
^I think a spot needs to be opened up for Sanvido in the bottom pairing. I think one of Braithwaite or Devlin would have to be moved with the other being the pairing with Sanvido with Bowen being the #7 capable of filling in for Sanvido to give him games off on occasion. We'd still have McNaughton and Graeme Brown for emergency depth.
I do think that Sanvido will worked in slowly,not rushed into the frey,thus players wont be moved yet

Old
05-28-2012, 03:03 PM
PacoSanchez15

Congrats on the Seiloff signing. He sounds like a dman the Hounds could severely use in their lineup. Hard to believe the Campbell deal could work out worse and then it does.

Quick question for the guys that seem to have inside knowledge, Dubas seemed to hint on twitter that Seiloff coming to Windsor would be a benefit to the Hounds. Just wondering if anyone heard anything on this, whether it be a a player or one of the 5 remaining picks coming back? There was a conditional 15th but I assumed that was based on Campbell playing his OA year. If it's just the 15th round pick I fail to see the benefit.

Here's the tweet:

Quote:
Kyle Dubas ‏@kyledubas

@bry_guyhill @playbyplayguy @shawngreenagent It's not personal. l deserve the criticism. The conditions on Sieloff playing benefit our team.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Ottomatic

^Interesting. The OA-for-pick side deal was "off the books", maybe there is another one. The conditional 15th rounder I guess could have been on condition that Campbell played OA or Sieloff didn't come over - ie we'd get a higher pick if Patrick didn't report.

If we seem to overpay in a deal between the two teams in the near future maybe it could be chalked up to this. We can't trade a 2nd rounder for nothing of course - maybe involve moving up three spots in the import draft and giving up a second rounder to do it...

Old
05-28-2012, 03:39 PM
big papa

Quote:
I do think that Sanvido will worked in slowly,not rushed into the frey,thus players wont be moved yet
With the Signing of Seiloff that was being talked about for Months is really good for this team and now makes one of Devlin, Posa, Braithwaite tradeable in my eyes. as it goes for Sanvido, Brown and McNaughton i think 1 or 2 of them start while players are away at camp.

Now does WR still go after Hagg at the Draft?? if so does WR try to package Pavelka and say Ebert to get another top 15 pick so we can go after a top import forward?? Is WR done or does he go after Di Giuseppe?

Old
05-28-2012, 03:44 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
With the Signing of Seiloff that was being talked about for Months is really good for this team and now makes one of Devlin, Posa, Braithwaite tradeable in my eyes. as it goes for Sanvido, Brown and McNaughton i think 1 or 2 of them start while players are away at camp.

Now does WR still go after Hagg at the Draft?? if so does WR try to package Pavelka and say Ebert to get another top 15 pick so we can go after a top import forward?? Is WR done or does he go after Di Giuseppe?
Doubt the spits move Ebert,probably has the most offensive capabilities,though Haag would certainly upgrade the def,both ways

Old
05-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Libbs

I still think, especially if we only have one Import pick, that we go with a forward. If the defense is lacking somthing, then it's easier to go out and get it than trying to develop it. Hagg seems like a great prospect but unless he's a big scoring machine from the blue line, we need to go with the forward.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:21 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
I still think, especially if we only have one Import pick, that we go with a forward. If the defense is lacking somthing, then it's easier to go out and get it than trying to develop it. Hagg seems like a great prospect but unless he's a big scoring machine from the blue line, we need to go with the forward.
I agree a forward is desirable,though Haag has Ollie Maata type skills,hopefully they will wind up with 2 Euro picks in the 1st rd
I fully expect Pavelka to be moved and Koko deleted if the Spits get word that he is not returning,freeing up 2 euro spots

Old
05-28-2012, 05:08 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I agree a forward is desirable,though Haag has Ollie Maata type skills,hopefully they will wind up with 2 Euro picks in the 1st rd
I fully expect Pavelka to be moved and Koko deleted if the Spits get word that he is not returning,freeing up 2 euro spots
Don't they really need to know in 1 month what Khokhlachev is doing then you either fish or cut bait?

Old
05-28-2012, 05:15 PM
spitz fan 4ever

hey razor, back in 1999 the Ottawa 67s lost early in the 2nd round in 5 games i believe, as the host, and ironically won the mem cup in overtime...thats just somethin i remember, not sure if its happened other than this years and the 1 i just mentioned, but it happens. Not always do the best teams raise the mem cup over there heads.We all know the best team didnt win in 1988, but thats what happens in a 1 game elim. This year i think saintjohns was truly the best team, but not as good as the 2008/9and 2009/10 windsor spits but what can they do to make that tournament better?

Old
05-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Ottomatic

Maata went first overall though - we're picking 15th. If we could somehow trade up to #3 with Erie maybe, but we'd have to give up a hefty package.

With Sieloff coming over, I think Haag would be off our board. Where our offense will come from - I'd say Ebert and Bateman both need to step it up in a major way.

Come 2014 we could still add Will Butcher to our top four.

I'd want to see the ink dried on his KHL contract before I'd delete Khokhlachev. If it's still up in the air come the import draft I'd only make one pick. I wouldn't risk deleting Koko to have somebody like London claim him off waivers only to see Boston than sign him.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:30 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Don't they really need to know in 1 month what Khokhlachev is doing then you either fish or cut bait?
This is definitely true Spits need to know just after the nhl draft

Old
05-28-2012, 05:33 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Maata went first overall though - we're picking 15th. If we could somehow trade up to #3 with Erie maybe, but we'd have to give up a hefty package.

With Sieloff coming over, I think Haag would be off our board. Where our offense will come from - I'd say Ebert and Bateman both need to step it up in a major way.

Come 2014 we could still add Will Butcher to our top four.

I'd want to see the ink dried on his KHL contract before I'd delete Khokhlachev. If it's still up in the air come the import draft I'd only make one pick. I wouldn't risk deleting Koko to have somebody like London claim him off waivers only to see Boston than sign him.
I know what u are saying,hopefully spits know what they are doing,dicey here so much uncertainty,also agree haag may not be a target if u have only 1 pick,take a forward,however like i said in a perfect world u deal pavelka and delete Koko if and once u know the intentions,things will get interesting here before its over

Old
05-28-2012, 05:33 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
hey razor, back in 1999 the Ottawa 67s lost early in the 2nd round in 5 games i believe, as the host, and ironically won the mem cup in overtime...thats just somethin i remember, not sure if its happened other than this years and the 1 i just mentioned, but it happens. Not always do the best teams raise the mem cup over there heads.We all know the best team didnt win in 1988, but thats what happens in a 1 game elim. This year i think saintjohns was truly the best team, but not as good as the 2008/9and 2009/10 windsor spits but what can they do to make that tournament better?
I would agree Saint John probably had the most talent and they have more of a gripe than London. Saint John actually beat Shawinigan earlier in the tourney. London never beat Shawinigan so they don't have much of a case really. That's not taking anything away from their OHL title but they couldn't beat Shawinigan.

What can they do to make the tourney better? First of all I truly believe the host city format can work but I believe there needs to an alternative. Personally I think what you should see is all 3 league champions get the automatic berth into the Memorial Cup. The 4th team should be kind of used as a wildcard. For example in this years tourney you have London, Saint John and Edmonton.

Next you have Rimouski, Shawinigan, Portland and Niagara battle it out for that final spot . Yes it would be an extra week and you can question what those 3 teams do for the next week but their reward is a rest. You may have to shorten the season by 3-4 games but in the end I don't think you would have a huge debate as to what teams were deserving etc..

Old
05-28-2012, 05:57 PM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

If the host team doesn't play in the tournament then who comes out to watch the teams play?

I can tell you if Windsor hosted and wasn't playing in the tournament I would not waste my money.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan18 View Post
If the host team doesn't play in the tournament then who comes out to watch the teams play?

I can tell you if Windsor hosted and wasn't playing in the tournament I would not waste my money.
That's the tough part but the host team is only guaranteed 3 out of 6 games in the Memorial Cup. Also you shouldn't have to waste your money if the team wasn't worthy enough to make it into the tournament. Shawinigan still sold out for Saint John against Edmonton and London and sold out for Edmonton and London.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Ottomatic

Worse than the host team getting an automatic spot is the host team winning their respective league championship so the runner up gets a spot.

Maybe Manitoba and Sask can start their own CHL league and then just have the four league champions meet.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 05-28-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old
05-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Another possibility would be to trade Koko's rights for a couple conditional 15th round picks if things are not ironed out before the import draft with his KHL/Boston situation. That way we would have two import spots open and if he does sign with Boston and sent back to the OHL those conditional 15th rounders become two second rounders sorta deal.

I'd think London would be open to such a deal with Namesnikov leaving and them picking so late in the import draft.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Sec108

Guess the knights are naming a street in by the market downtown london as london knights way, they should have named it "chokers way".LOL!!!!!

First chance to comment on the Cat's win last night.I'll now have a great summer woo hooo!!!!! .Great game and Girard played great for Shawinigan.Where the hell was Mckegg out there??? A bit non existant, good draft pick Leafs...lmao.

The only line going was Watty/Ruperts line.

Felt sorry for Houser for maybe ........ a second then got over it....LOL!!!!!

This is truly a gift that keeps on giving.........

Old
05-28-2012, 08:25 PM
scokan

[QUOTE=RayzorIsDull;50245373]It will be interesting to see how Seiloff adjusts. He likes to play a mean game but isn't very big to begin with. QUOTE]

dont they have him listed as 6'1 202lbs?

does anyone know if he is signed to one of the Gold's or not?

Closed Thread