HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers have ca$h, just donít know how much

Old
05-28-2012, 01:28 PM
I Am Classless

vCash: 500
I don't think there's any reason to blow the whole thing up, I don't think there's even much of a reason to shop around Gaborik. With Kreider and one just one second-line kind of free agent, our forward group looks so strong.

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Stepan - Callahan
Zuccarello - Anisimov - Parenteau
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust
Mitchell

Would have put the Pack line back together, but Zucarello - Stepan - Parenteau would probably be the worst defensive line in the history of hockey. And yes, we'd lose something defensively anyway by icing both MZA and PAP, but the power play

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:44 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Hagelin on the fourth line? MZA will probably be in Europe and PAP didn't work out the first time, why would it work now?

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:47 PM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, etc should not stop you from signing Zach Parise.

No frikkin way.

If signing Parise means we have to trade Dubi, AA, etc for some picks or prospects going forward, then so be it.
Assuming the cap next year is at least the same as this past year and Parise cap hit is 7 million. Rangers can bring back everybody next year. Next summer is when they would have to unload a contract if they sign Parise.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:52 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Why do most of you continue to make lineups without a heavy and middie on the 4th line? Sather will NEVER dress a team w/out them.I for one love it,but most of you are in denile.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
The problem with Boyle are his wheels. Specifically his inability to turn. On top of that he has no hands. Boyle can single handedly kill plays on the transition or completely end an effective cycle just by touching the puck. He is a black hole offensively.

Because of his poor skating, he is a mediocre forechecker because he cannot react when he commits to a hit. He is willing to throw his body, but he isn't all that effective in gaining the puck from the forecheck. Many times he gets caught WAY out of position because he overcommits.

Won't argue with his PK ability, he is very good. But he is getting paid 1.7 million a year to be a 4th liner/pk specalist. That doesn't work on so many levels and is gross overpayment. IMO, the team would be better off riding themselves of Boyle, and bringing a true third line center. Give the 4th line to some kids in Hartford for less money.

I think, like Torts, people have gotten enamored with Boyle's character/effort and not the actual hockey player. As a hockey player, he is a marginal one at best.
Who do you replace Boyle with for less than 1.7M? Boyle's a big dude. His stride isn't impressive. But he's mobile enough to forecheck effectively, and cover a lot of ground. He clipped 20 in last season, which we all knew was something he probably would never replicate again, but for a 4th liner his hands/skillset is fine.

He played his best hockey when we needed him, prior to his concussion which. He was great against Ottawa.

I can't think of any hockey player in the league that doesn't have a flaw or two in their game. Aside for Boyle's speed, he's a pretty damn good 4th liner who was asked to play a 3rd line role. There is no reason to move him, unless it's a deal that you can't pass up.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Who do you replace Boyle with for less than 1.7M? Boyle's a big dude. His stride isn't impressive. But he's mobile enough to forecheck effectively, and cover a lot of ground. He clipped 20 in last season, which we all knew was something he probably would never replicate again, but for a 4th liner his hands/skillset is fine.

He played his best hockey when we needed him, prior to his concussion which. He was great against Ottawa.

I can't think of any hockey player in the league that doesn't have a flaw or two in their game. Aside for Boyle's speed, he's a pretty damn good 4th liner who was asked to play a 3rd line role. There is no reason to move him, unless it's a deal that you can't pass up.
1)As a 4th liner? Anybody. 1.7 million is insanity for a 4th line player. Don't even get me started on Rupp, he should be sent packing as well. If we talking a replacement for the third line role: Chris Kelly would be a significant upgrade. Thats just one example.

2)You said it yourself, last season. I guarantee that season is a aberration for a Boyle. He will never match that.

3)He was effective for the start of the Ottawa series and then got progressively worse(even before the injury). He was dreadful in the Washington series and did nothing in the ECF. Just like in the regular season, had a couple good games and then reverted back to his old self.

4)I don't know who you have been watching but Boyle has NO mobility either on the forecheck or in his own end. He often times has to play the points getting back into the zone because he is the last forward back. Prust and Feds CONSTANTLY cover for his inability to cover large areas of the ice.

Boyle is a great Pker because he knows how to use his body to block lanes effectively. But his defensive game on the transition game 5v5 leads much to be desired.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 05-28-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

You guys are too fixated on our bottom 6. Boyle, Rupp, and Prust are a fine 4th line. Anisimov and Hagelin are 2/3rds of an impressive 3rd line. We didn't lose to the Devils due to our bottom-6. Our Mustang has a blown cylinder but you guys are more concerned about a dent on the passenger door.

If Dubinsky can return back to form, which I'm sure he can, and you have success with Hagelin+Kreider, you're talking about a good amount of goals right there. I'm not sure we really need another scoring winger, assuming these 3 guys can clip 20G a piece.

I think most of us feel we need something, more effective in our top-6 though. Even if Dubi does morph back into his previous form. Another scoring winger to compliment Gaborik.

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-_______
Prust-Boyle-Rupp

Or

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
_____-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-______
Prust-Boyle-Rupp

No fairytale, trade Gaborik/Sign Parise nonsense. Top-6 winger, in exchange for Dubi(+), or keep the group for another go. If Dubi struggles early on next year, you can still unload him.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
1)As a 4th liner? Anybody. 1.7 million is insanity for a 4th player. Don't even get me started on Rupp, he should be sent packing as well. If we talking a replacement for the third line role: Chris Kelly would be a significant upgrade. Thats just one example.

2)You said it yourself, last season. I guarantee that season is a aberration for a Boyle. He will never match that.

3)He was effective for the start of the Ottawa series and then got progressively worse(even before the injury). He was dreadful in the Washington series and did nothing in the ECF. Just like in the regular season, had a couple good games and then reverted back to his old self.

4)I don't know who you have been watching but Boyle has NO mobility either on the forecheck or in his own end. He often times has to play the points getting back into the zone because his is the last forward back. Prust and Feds CONSTANTLY cover for his inability to cover large areas of the ice.

Boyle is a great Pker because he knows how to use his body to block lanes effectively. But his defensive game on the transition game 5v5 leads much to be desired.
I can recall numerous moments where Boyle's defensive play, allowed Feds and Prust to counter with scoring opportunity's. He's definitely not a terrific skater, but again for a guy his size he has the mobility to play effective hockey. He's a much better skater than Rupp, for comparison and Rupp is smaller.

He's solid along the boards. He does a fine job keeping the puck in the zone, winning 1-on-1 battles down low, and even creating opportunity's. And for a team that's brutal in the face-off department, he's one of the best we have there.

21G last season. 11G this season. 10-15G a year from your 4th line center who's solid in face-offs, great on the pk, can forecheck, plays his tail off, and fits the teams culture, and makes 1.7M should be the last of our concerns.

Let's worry about the real issue at hand. Fix what's broken, not what can use an upgrade. There no guarantee that the upgrade over Boyle makes any difference when all is said and done.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:52 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I'd be happy with:

Hagelin - Stepan - Gaborik
Kreider - Richards - Callahan
Dubinsky - Gaustad - Anisimov
Feds - Boyle - Prust
Rupp/Mitchell

McD - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
MDZ - Allan

If the Rangers can't add a legit top six winger.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
I can recall numerous moments where Boyle's defensive play, allowed Feds and Prust to counter with scoring opportunity's. He's definitely not a terrific skater, but again for a guy his size he has the mobility to play effective hockey. He's a much better skater than Rupp, for comparison and Rupp is smaller.

He's solid along the boards. He does a fine job keeping the puck in the zone, winning 1-on-1 battles down low, and even creating opportunity's. And for a team that's brutal in the face-off department, he's one of the best we have there.

21G last season. 11G this season. 10-15G a year from your 4th line center who's solid in face-offs, great on the pk, can forecheck, plays his tail off, and fits the teams culture, and makes 1.7M should be the last of our concerns.

Let's worry about the real issue at hand. Fix what's broken, not what can use an upgrade. There no guarantee that the upgrade over Boyle makes any difference when all is said and done.
1) No way no how. Rupp is a better skater in turn of his nimbleness and his balance. They are about the same in terms of speed and acceleration. Much better skater than Boyle. The difference is, Rupp doesn't have the effort or drive that Boyle does. Rupp is a lazy player, Boyle is not.

2)Again, I have no idea what you are talking about. He is dreadful at winning 1 on 1 battles. Guys half his size constantly out muscle the puck from him. Boyle is good occasionally protecting the puck, when he has the luxury of having established footing. But if he is in a 50/50 battle, he loses it almost 85 percent of the time.

3)11g in a season where he was seeing sometimes 2nd line minutes. Boyle will not keep his production the same with signifcantly less minutes on the 4th line. a 4th liner we would be paying 1.7 million to. Lets be honest here, if Boyle is on this team he will not be utilized as a 4th liner. Torts will play him as a third liner.

The lack of scoring from our bottom six is a significant problem. If its not properly addressed you can kiss a stanley cup goodbye. You need at minimum three scoring lines. Most SC teams roll 4.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:02 PM
I Am Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Hagelin on the fourth line? MZA will probably be in Europe and PAP didn't work out the first time, why would it work now?
Hagelin has great counterattacking speed, he's not too afraid of physical stuff, and he put up a point or two in the playoffs while playing with good offensive players. At this stage he is far closer to being a fourth liner than a first liner.

MZA isn't leaving if we play him. I think if it's between him and Fedotenko in camp again, he will probably win out this time.

The Rangers need a winger who can create things. They're very short on creative players. That's why MZA still has a future in the organization, and I think that with an FA signing we can turn a weakness into a strength. I know more about PAP than I do about other guys in the league. Maybe there's someone else we can pick up. But PA's a great stickhandler and a great passer with a great compete level. If Charlie Cheapskate doesn't give him the deal he wants, he will get it somewhere else, and he won't fall off the face of the hockey world.

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:18 PM
UAGoalieGuy

MZA just doesn't have the physical attributes to make successful in the NHL. His game just doesn't transition well to the NHL.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
He's talking the talk. I hope he walks the walk.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I remember reading around this time last season from many a poster here that Erixon is the answer. Now, it's Schultz.

I'll believe hype when it becomes reality.
People had Erixon picked to make the team and play bottom pair minutes. Not top four.

He played in the NHL.

His game and his brain and ready. He wasn't strong enough. He got pushed around too much. That's why he didn't stick in the NHL yet. It has nothing to do with his game.

Schultz is the same deal. His game and his brain are NHL ready and he's the real deal. He's more dynamic than Erixon.

But like Erixon it'll be about his strength. If he needs time to get stronger, he will get it.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 05-28-2012 at 08:52 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:14 PM
rangers5000

lol listening to these so called "experts" on canadian talk radio

they obviously don't watch many ranger games, the way they talk about them, can't even remember who was the backup, forgetting names of top players, yet they talk like they know every deail about every team

they claim they should of got nash to play with richards, even if it meant giving up kreider/mcdon, they say they would still be playing with nash

i guess there unaware how good kreider/mcdon played for us

its annoying, they need to stick to there leafs and other canadian teams they follow, its obvious they dont watch ranger games, or very little, but act like watch every second of every ranger game

these hockey experts, how can u watch 12 games every night, its not possible

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:20 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
You guys are too fixated on our bottom 6. Boyle, Rupp, and Prust are a fine 4th line. Anisimov and Hagelin are 2/3rds of an impressive 3rd line. We didn't lose to the Devils due to our bottom-6.
not sure how you can say that with a straight face when everyone that watched the series knows that we got BEAT and badly by their 4th line. we didn't get beat cause parise, kovalchuk, etc dominated our top guys. we got between cause bernier, carter and gionta kicked are arses

our bottom 6 provided zero offense this year...it might not be the #1 issue, but the lack of scoring depth certainly is an issue

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Hagelin/Dubinsky - Guastad - Jones
Feds - Boyle - Prust

Would be an amazing bottom 6.
A bottom 6 without a 3rd line center is not an amazing bottom 6.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I think Prust will return but I'm a little scared he is going to be overpaid. He's never received the big payday yet. Teams know his worth. To have a guy that plays as are as he does and not really hurt you while providing some muscle is not easy to come by in the new game. I think there will be some big offers for him this offseason.

Im not so sure the Rangers would be out of the Suter or Parise bidding this season. Given this organizations attraction to the American born players. I wont be overly surprised if a cap clearing trade at the draft goes down.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:40 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

They gotta be VERY careful with Prust. They absolutely cannot double his salary. He might not have very long left as messed up as it sounds.

He's a smaller guy who plays fearless a la George McPhee.

If he does bolt an alternative would be Jordin Tootoo.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:54 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I've got a bad feeling Nash will end up NY.

I just have this gut feeling. I hope that if I'm right, it's at a reasonable cost, and we move enough salary going back the other way to help things along.

I want Parise first and foremost if anything.

Give me Schultz and Parise this offseason, and I'd be a pig in ****.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:02 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I've got a bad feeling Nash will end up NY.

I just have this gut feeling. I hope that if I'm right, it's at a reasonable cost, and we move enough salary going back the other way to help things along.

I want Parise first and foremost if anything.

Give me Schultz and Parise this offseason, and I'd be a pig in ****.
Even if they get Nash and Schultz, IMO they still have a pressing need at 3rd line center. Gaustad or Kelly would help a lot with depth and faceoffs.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Even if they get Nash and Schultz, IMO they still have a pressing need at 3rd line center. Gaustad or Kelly would help a lot with depth and faceoffs.
Does Anisimov not fit the role of 3rd line center because he isn't quite good enough at faceoffs?

Emptyvoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Nothing I want more than to give a soon to be 28 year old, a 13 year deal.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Mikos87

Ideally I would like to see this line up, depending on how the CBA is, if the cap is ~69+ million

Parise-Richards-Gaborik
[Parise signed for 85 million, 13 years front loaded deal, this is what it will take, robbing a division rival of its best player, and captain who is just lead them to the cup finals]
[Richards should be more comfortable in NY now, and I'm expecting a better year]
[Gaborik just needs to replicate the year and just do what he does best]

Morrow-Anisimov-Callahan
[Dubinsky for Morrow, perhaps in a package that includes depth or picks.. I get that age, injuries, declining production are of concern, but Morrow brings grit, guts, a winning pedigree, and desire every shift alongside strong leadership skills, seems like a perfect fit to me even if]
[Anisimov needs to bulk up and gain some confidence in is physical game, not saying he'll be banging bodies, but he should be a little better protecting the puck to make plays]
[Cally does things the right way, 'nouf said]

Kreider-Stepan-Hagelin
[Kreider playing on an offensive line w/o facing top opposition will allow him to flourish, he'd be in a position to be an absolute match up nightmare, with size, speed, and finishing ability]
[Stepan with two guys that can jet it, he should get ample time and space to make plays]
[Hagelin can jet it too, pursue pucks, change the tempo, and create offense as well]

Rupp-Boyle-Prust
[Rupp.. I love what Rupper brings, if he can get an extra gear, which I know may seem doubtful but I've seen him play with out a wonky knee, Rupp brings a lot to the fabric of the team.. A guy like Gregory Cambell or Scott Nichol are good options too for the 4th line]
[Boyle I think will play better offensively, I think towards the end of the season and early in the playoffs it started clicking, I don't think he'll be consistent offensively, but he should chip in]
[Prust.. would pay up to 1.85 to keep him, love the player, and what he does]

McDonaugh- Girardi
Staal- Del Zotto
[The Four Horsemen.. Our Thoroughbreds are fine]

Erixon- McIlrath/ Schultz/ Sarich
[If Erixon matures physically and gets a little stronger, he's playing in the NHL.. with PP time, in the "Stralman" role]
[McIlrath was a need pick, and Stu Bickel filled that void, I think Dylan will need time in the minors, but he'll be playing in the NHL sooner in my mind than in most others]
[Shultz would be a fantastic pick up, the Rangers have played two rookies on D 2 out the last 3 years (Gilroy & Del Zotto) (Sauer McDonaugh), and just one this year (Bickel).. so the idea of playing rookies isn't far fetched.. signing Schultz on the other hand might be, but hopefully not if you know what I mean]
[Sarich is a big physical defensive dmen who has a history with Torts, great pick up for 7D, veteran presence. Game has fallen off, but for small minutes he'd fit just fine.. trading for a Fistric would also work well]

Hank
Biron

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:14 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Goalie - check
Blue Line - check
Bottom 6 - check
Top 6 - based on where they finished

Richards
Gabby
Krieder
Steps
Cally
Hagelin

I'm guessing someone here gets bumped down for a UFA signing or a trade.

I heard Dave Maloney on his little exit interview and he seemed pretty sure the team would be addressing the top 6 issue via trade or UFA.

As promising as Krieder and Hags looked, I don't think Slats puts all his eggs in that basket.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote