HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo and Canucks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2012, 03:50 PM
  #26
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
The Sabres could use a player like Mason Raymond.
Yeah, he's a great player but AV is destroying him.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:52 PM
  #27
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek
 
Gerbe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
The Sabres could use a player like Mason Raymond.

You forgot i don't like him at all you can have weber

Gerbe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:53 PM
  #28
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,910
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbe42 View Post
thanks for the Answers

what would we have to add with vanek ? him and Sedins would be scary Good imo
Realistically Vanek and Kesler are probably fairly equal in fantasy value, but a trade does not fit the Canucks because we'd be taking on $2m in salary cap plus hurting our positional depth by losing a center in favour of a winger. Barring involvement from a 3rd team with the contracts on Buffalo's roster I don't see anyway you could swing this that would make sense from Vancouver's side.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:19 PM
  #29
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,025
vCash: 500
to answer the OP's question, it would be impossible in a two team deal. there are no centers on your team that we would take (roy makes no sense, hodgson is out of the question), and we would absolutely need a center back.

but if there could be some three way deal where we give up kesler and ballard, someone else gets vanek, and we get myers and a reasonable two-way second line center, then i guess it could be done. but that reasonable second line center would also have to be cheap-- in terms of talent and dollars, someone in the zajac/filppula range.

which, of course, means that there's almost no chance in hell anything involving kesler for vanek gets done.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:39 PM
  #30
El Duderino
Registered User
 
El Duderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
I honestly think that Vanek with the Sedins wouldn't be that great, except for the powerplay. What Burrows does so well as a linemate is retrieving loose pucks, going hard on the forecheck, and providing some sandpaper/grit to that line. His skill set complements the deficiencies of the Sedins' skill sets, and vice versa. Plus, his shot is pretty good.

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:28 PM
  #31
The Optimist
Registered User
 
The Optimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SFU
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
there are no centers on your team that we would take (roy makes no sense, hodgson is out of the question), and we would absolutely need a center back.
Does anyone else remember when the Canucks didn't need to trade for Turris because he would be redundant? Oh how I wish Gillis had given Tanev+.

The Optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:36 PM
  #32
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
Does anyone else remember when the Canucks didn't need to trade for Turris because he would be redundant? Oh how I wish Gillis had given Tanev+.
I wouldn't. Kesler *will* be back at some point during the season. That gives us three legitimate centers (assuming you move up Lappy). Who exactly plays the right side on the blueline after Bieksa? Old man Salo? After him, that's it (eg., you go downhill in a real hurry).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:54 PM
  #33
deadant14
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
The only three way trade I can think of off the top of my head that would have some wild chance of happening would have to start around.

Buffalo Gives Up: Vanek and a pick probably 2nd Round
Buffalo Receives: Kesler and Matt Cooke

Pittsburgh Gives Up: Staal and Matt Cooke (for cap reasons mostly)
Pittsburgh Receives: Vanek and a 2nd Round pick from Buffalo

Vancouver Gives Up: Kesler
Vancouver Receives: Staal

This only makes sense if Gillis really does want to go younger and thinks he can resign Staal to a cap friendly contract. It is a major gamble giving that Kesler is the heart of the Canucks. This is only done if Gillis has another big locker room guy coming in to replace the void. Although there is a chance Bieksa will step into that role.

Buffalo gets a proven center finally.

Pittsburgh dumps a player that they might not be able to retain, and is somewhat redundant on their roster. They also finally get a talented goal scoring winger. (this is no knock to James Neal, but you take him off that wing and his numbers change drastically). They do this if they know Sidney Crosby resigns at a more cap friendly number.

deadant14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:58 PM
  #34
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,779
vCash: 500
Canucks don't need Vanek.

Canucks need Kesler.

If the Sabres want Kesler it'll have to start with Myers, otherwise both teams can keep their players.

kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:17 PM
  #35
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,932
vCash: 500
Vanek, Ehrhoff for Kesler, Ballard and Alberts.

I'll do it.

shortshorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:20 PM
  #36
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ronaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,794
vCash: 55
No thanks. Kesler not only had outproduced Vanek the last couple years (If you combined there point totals the last couple years) Kesler is also much better defensively, plays the more valuable position adds an element of grit and makes 2 million less! Honestly the only way the Canucks would be interested in Vanek is if Ballard and Raymond are going the other way.

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:25 PM
  #37
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
No thanks. Kesler not only had outproduced Vanek the last couple years (If you combined there point totals the last couple years) Kesler is also much better defensively, plays the more valuable position adds an element of grit and makes 2 million less! Honestly the only way the Canucks would be interested in Vanek is if Ballard and Raymond are going the other way.
We add a 50point d-men on a low cap-hit, who is quite easily tradeable in the future since we won't be as committed to him as we are to Luongo. Ehrhoff also makes our offense lethal again during ES by adding an ever so potent breakout. Vanek would be our best pure sniper on the team, no doubt. He would also add the exact elements to the powerplay as Kesler does. Our issues are scoring in the playoffs, not defending.

There is also a reason why I threw in Ballard and Alberts. However, saying all this, if Kesler reverts to his old-self, I'm less likely to accept the trade.

shortshorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:06 AM
  #38
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,886
vCash: 500
Of all the proposal threads that have been merged over the years and this one has legs?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:42 AM
  #39
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ronaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,794
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
We add a 50point d-men on a low cap-hit, who is quite easily tradeable in the future since we won't be as committed to him as we are to Luongo. Ehrhoff also makes our offense lethal again during ES by adding an ever so potent breakout. Vanek would be our best pure sniper on the team, no doubt. He would also add the exact elements to the powerplay as Kesler does. Our issues are scoring in the playoffs, not defending.

There is also a reason why I threw in Ballard and Alberts. However, saying all this, if Kesler reverts to his old-self, I'm less likely to accept the trade.
I was replying to the OP.

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:40 AM
  #40
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,430
vCash: 50
No way Burrows get's traded. I wouldn't trade Burr for Ovechkin because of the meaning Burr has on this team, and the clutch goals he's scored etc. But seriously, I'd be hardpressed to trade Burr, unless it was a clear-cut overpayment.

Kesler isn't going anywhere either.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:57 AM
  #41
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,802
vCash: 500
I would do it for Ennis and Myers.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:24 AM
  #42
Bourdon
Registered User
 
Bourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,580
vCash: 500
I'm not sure how many people know what type of player Vanek is. The guy has one of the best hand-eye co-ordination in the league, and he scores quite a bit of goals on the PP from deflections. He works hard in front of the net, and is very good at scoring those garbage goals. He's obviously a very good sniper as well, and has a rocket that he loves to unleash, especially in shootouts.

He has a history of injuries (played through an injury all year IIRC), and because of the type of game he plays, his game will be less effective the older he gets. He's not a great skater, and he not exactly a dependable defensive player.

I would never move Kesler for him, but that doesn't make Vanek any less of a very good player. Vanek is exactly the kind of player the Canucks need more of.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:43 AM
  #43
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon View Post
I'm not sure how many people know what type of player Vanek is. The guy has one of the best hand-eye co-ordination in the league, and he scores quite a bit of goals on the PP from deflections. He works hard in front of the net, and is very good at scoring those garbage goals. He's obviously a very good sniper as well, and has a rocket that he loves to unleash, especially in shootouts.

He has a history of injuries (played through an injury all year IIRC), and because of the type of game he plays, his game will be less effective the older he gets. He's not a great skater, and he not exactly a dependable defensive player.

I would never move Kesler for him, but that doesn't make Vanek any less of a very good player. Vanek is exactly the kind of player the Canucks need more of.
yes, but not at Vanek's cap hit.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:43 AM
  #44
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch
 
Socratic Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
WE GAVE YOU CODY WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!?!

YOU WANT MY BLOOD?? FINE TAKE MY DAMN BLUE AND WHITE BLOOD...



But seriously, I wouldn't consider trading Burrows - Am I foolish in thinking of him as a slightly smaller, winger version of Kesler? They're both great - elite defensively, they have elite speed, they're gritty and hit a lot (Kes obviously is a bit bigger and can hit to hurt), they both have great hands and puck control, maybe our 2 best shooters on the team (when healthy) and both give 100% every shift (when healthy).

If anything, Burrows has the higher hockey IQ. All for 2 million/year.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:49 PM
  #45
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,859
vCash: 500
I'm hard pressed to find someone on on the Sabres I'd trade for Kesler straight up, without naming the giant young defenseman rocking the Blue and Yellow, or a certain center that was recently acquired from a certain idiot team, but in either event, I don't see Kesler as actually available.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:32 PM
  #46
Hackeybuff*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbe42 View Post
Buffalo : Ryan kesler
Canucks: vanek
............................


is Burrows a untouchable what would it take?


roy , 2nd ?
I must decline your offer. However I do have a counter offer;

To Buffalo

rights to Aaron Rome

Malholtra

Ballard

7th round pick in 2015

To Vancouver

Myers

Stafford

2nd rounder in 2012


Hackeybuff* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.