HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

If I was GM.....

Old
05-28-2012, 08:54 AM
DontToewzMeBro

vCash: 500
If I was GM.....

Everyone feel free to imagine you replaced Bowman of his duties and had the following problems to solve.
-Goaltending
-Tough/Crease clearing D
-2nd line Center
-4th line C

1)Overpayments may sometimes be necessary. The Blackhawks need a creative playmaking center who is difficult to play against. mike Rebiero is the guy, he also is annoying as Carcillo, which gives him an edge. I can picture him in a Blackhawk sweater easily. In this deal we can also push for promising Bachman. Trade
1st overall pick(18)
2nd-Overall
B.Pirri
R.Emery
One of either Lalonde/Holl/Rendsfelt
Hawks receive Bachman/Rebeiro

2)Push for either Konopka or Slater. Both provide a tough hard playing style at center. Konopka is very good at draws and will stand up for teammates. Slater may be more expensive and provide more offense.

3)1st line LW problem. Should we just rotate or get someone who can score or use a banger in that slot?
I think the need a player to chip that puck in and take a hit. This will be between Carcillo/Hayes/Beach and Saad, and like someone else's post, it would be pleasant if Beach joined the team at some point in Tallons vision and fulfill his potential.

4)Sign a defenseman that can push people off the puck and help Craw/Bachman in front of the net.
Jackman-3.8-4.5 for two years

5) The D may be puzzling but Leddy should switch from bottom to second pairing, Jackman and Hammer would be a tough combo of grit, shot blocking and hitting.

6) Third line Saad-Bolland-Stalberg would be a very interesting one. All players are strong, can skate and have a decent scoring touch.

Beach - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Rebiero - Hossa
Saad - Bolland - Stalberg
Kruger - Slater/Konopka - Bickell
Shaw

Keith - Seabrook
Leddy - Jackman
Hammer - Monty

Crawford
Bachman

Last edited by Sarava: 05-28-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Don't disparage his name
DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Sarava

First of all - spell Bowman's name right or don't type it at all please. I'm not a huge fan of Stan either, but a minimal amount of respect towards him isn't a lot to ask.

Second - the off-season should start with going all-in for Justin Schultz. I know rumors and thoughts are that he will sign in Canada - and if he does, then so be it. But you gotta make a run at him. He immediately solves many problems with our defense and would come at a low ELC price tag.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

he spelled Ribeiro wrong again...

my first thought when I read the title, thank god you aren't the GM.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
If we are grading spelling on this forum I think it is safe to say a D+ would be the maximum a lot of days. Lighten up Francis.

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:44 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
If we are grading spelling on this forum I think it is safe to say a D+ would be the maximum a lot of days. Lighten up Francis.
I think Bubba's just amazed at how bad this guy wants Ribeiro, as he has posted it in many threads now, and still doesn't know how to spell his name...

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I will be the last guy that grades the spell as a guy that makes enough mistakes himself, but this is a players name and he wants him this bad...

...as said before, we won't get a Stars core player without giving them Saad. GMJN runs his team this way

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Sarava

This thread doesn't look like it's going to last very long.

Old
05-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Paul Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post

Second - the off-season should start with going all-in for Justin Schultz. I know rumors and thoughts are that he will sign in Canada - and if he does, then so be it. But you gotta make a run at him. He immediately solves many problems with our defense and would come at a low ELC price tag.
This... I'm surprised no one really mentions him around here. He'd allow us to have a pmd on each pairing, and hopefully help the pp.

Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Allen View Post
This... I'm surprised no one really mentions him around here. He'd allow us to have a pmd on each pairing, and hopefully help the pp.
Maybe that's what Kaner was doing up at Wisconsin a few weeks ago...

Old
05-28-2012, 04:27 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Well then I'm glad you're not the GM. For reasons I feel don't need to be explained.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:28 PM
tomcat24

This team is too top heavy. The top 4 are really good but can be contained in tight-checking, physical games. while the top 4 played a big role, what really won the Cup was having 9 solid forwards, 3 full lines that just came at you in wave after wave, tiring out the opposition. I feel 1 of the top 4 needs to be traded to acquire top 9 depth.

I really would love to get Ryan O'Reilly and Steve Downie from the Avs. Just the kind of players we need. Obviously Kane has to go the other way to get it done. Im sure we will need to add other things. A guy like Kruger or Stalberg plus. or picks and prospects.

We need an upgrade on D. I really hope we can land Suter and a number 5 that is a pain to play against like Jackman or Allen. Then we can trade Nik H. A team like Philly seems a good destination for him. They probably won't have Pronger or Carle and need solid stay-at-home types anyway. They have a glut of forwards. Maybe a guy like Van Riemsdyk can be had. He has been inconsistent but might do well on the Hawks

Stalberg-Toews-Hossa
JVR-O'Reilly-Sharp
Downie-Bolland-Shaw
Carcillo-Mayers-Hayes

tomcat24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:32 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Trading Kane for O'Reilly makes no sense for us.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:52 PM
tomcat24

funny thing is if you go on the Avs board they will say it will take more than Kane for O'Reilly. I really think depth and the ability to roll 3 and maybe 4 lines that can create chaos in the o-zone are what you win with. and obviously a solid goalie and solid D. I would rather trade Sharp but his value isn"t as high. Kane is a great player, but O'Reilly is a great center. he allows us to spread around a 3 line attack

Old
05-28-2012, 04:59 PM
TwistedWrister90
Stanley Cup Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat24 View Post
funny thing is if you go on the Avs board they will say it will take more than Kane for O'Reilly. I really think depth and the ability to roll 3 and maybe 4 lines that can create chaos in the o-zone are what you win with. and obviously a solid goalie and solid D. I would rather trade Sharp but his value isn"t as high. Kane is a great player, but O'Reilly is a great center. he allows us to spread around a 3 line attack
those avs fans must be pretty dumb then lol

i agree about having a great 3 line attack, but i don't want sharp and especially kane traded, unless it would be worth it. most trade proposals i've seen for kane would not be worth it at all and o'reilly is one of them IMO. still a great player, but not on kane's level. the hawks could get way more in return than o'reilly

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:11 PM
tomcat24

don't discount Downie in this. Since they just traded for him at the deadline I don't know if they would trade him so soon, but O'Reily and Downie for Kane and a little more isn't that bad of value. O'reilly has more offense in him then some might think. I think paired with Sharp he can get over 60 points. Both Downie and O'reilly are the kinds of players that you need against the teams like Phoenix, L.A. and St. Louis.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
he spelled Ribeiro wrong again...

my first thought when I read the title, thank god you aren't the GM.
Pretty much this.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:13 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

give crawford the next year to reveal where he is.

give saad a year on the club to (1) try to figure out his level of play; and (2) whether he's a "keeper" or whether he can get us something back

figure out which of our prospects can be packaged out...i think we've drafted extremely well over the last few years for our position...but the reality is we have way too many players with the same level of potential and who have the ability to occupy the same position. they're not all going to make the team.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
give crawford the next year to reveal where he is.

give saad a year on the club to (1) try to figure out his level of play; and (2) whether he's a "keeper" or whether he can get us something back

figure out which of our prospects can be packaged out...i think we've drafted extremely well over the last few years for our position...but the reality is we have way too many players with the same level of potential and who have the ability to occupy the same position. they're not all going to make the team.
I'm personally not comfortable with throwing the weight on an otherwise Stanley Cup ready team on Crawford's shoulders...since he couldn't handle that weight this past season.

As for prospects...I totally agree with you. There's probably going to be guys ready for the NHL that won't have a spot available for them. Especially with rumors that Q is demanding that the front office give him more vets and less rookies.

Jeremy Morin, Brandon Saad and Kyle Beach...it could be argued that all 3 deserve a shot right now, but there's probably only room for one of them max. The Hawks might need to favor Beach in a scenario such as this, because the clock is ticking on how long the Hawks can control him.

That doesn't even get in to guys like Jimmy Hayes and Ben Smith and Brandon Pirri, who are all likely to get little to no chance at a roster spot.

I've thought many times the Hawks should have consolidated their assets to trade up for blue chippers. Perhaps their method worked out well, because it landed Saad at #43. Either way, I hope they trade up this year if something is there.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:17 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm personally not comfortable with throwing the weight on an otherwise Stanley Cup ready team on Crawford's shoulders...since he couldn't handle that weight this past season.

As for prospects...I totally agree with you. There's probably going to be guys ready for the NHL that won't have a spot available for them. Especially with rumors that Q is demanding that the front office give him more vets and less rookies.

Jeremy Morin, Brandon Saad and Kyle Beach...it could be argued that all 3 deserve a shot right now, but there's probably only room for one of them max. The Hawks might need to favor Beach in a scenario such as this, because the clock is ticking on how long the Hawks can control him.

That doesn't even get in to guys like Jimmy Hayes and Ben Smith and Brandon Pirri, who are all likely to get little to no chance at a roster spot.

I've thought many times the Hawks should have consolidated their assets to trade up for blue chippers. Perhaps their method worked out well, because it landed Saad at #43. Either way, I hope they trade up this year if something is there.
why do you say that this is an "otherwise stanley cup ready team"? I don't see it that way at all. we have many of the pieces necessary to form an SC team...but not all of the pieces...and it's not just that we're missing pieces, we're missing "chunks".

re: crawford...if this were a team where "everything is ready" but the goalie, i'd be the first to say dump the guy...but the problems we have are much more than just the goalie.

as far as crawford not being able to "handle the weight" of this past season, i don't disagree with you..but again, it's obvious that even if Craw could "handle the weight" we still wouldn't be close. i don't think our success 2012/13 lies on dealing with crawford. for better or for worse, this team frontloads offense...and to the degree that approach causes problems it's simply not going to be cured by replacing crawford.

going back to prospects...we need to find out how ready Saad is...can the guy occupy a top 6 spot? and again, we also need to stop stockpiling "not yet ready" prospects whose upside is 2nd or third line (but not 1st line). we really have developed a monopoly on that type. again, i'm not criticizing the hawks drafting...i think we've done well in drafting at the position we're given...but all we're really doing is developing a pile of decent, but not high end kids, that we'd get more value from if we started packaging deal-wise.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:23 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

no way the hawks favour beach over saad. first of all, leaving aside beach's "ceiling" i think saad vs. beach currently reveals saad as being way more high end (and he doesn't carry the same "disaster quotient" that beach does). if nothing else, if we let saad play and he does well we can (1) pencil him in as a top-6; or (2) [maybe even better???] package him for a more experienced top-6 forward...

...out of curiosity, leaving aside ppl who are in their last yr of a deal re; 12/13...does anyone know who might be a ufa in summer of 2013.??

Old
05-29-2012, 01:43 AM
Rexy

Quote:
no way the hawks favour beach over saad. first of all, leaving aside beach's "ceiling" i think saad vs. beach currently reveals saad as being way more high end (and he doesn't carry the same "disaster quotient" that beach does). if nothing else, if we let saad play and he does well we can (1) pencil him in as a top-6; or (2) [maybe even better???] package him for a more experienced top-6 forward...

...out of curiosity, leaving aside ppl who are in their last yr of a deal re; 12/13...does anyone know who might be a ufa in summer of 2013.??
Beach should get the shot first, he's earned it by working his way in the organization. He's also done everything that's been asked of him. Saad maybe brings more raw talent, but Beach brings everything we need right now. A prototypical power forward who can play on a line with Toews and Kane.

he can be a Dan Carcillo with 30-40-70 potential. How do you turn that down?

Not like some seasoning in Rockford would hurt Saad.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:47 AM
Sarava

Quote:
why do you say that this is an "otherwise stanley cup ready team"? I don't see it that way at all. we have many of the pieces necessary to form an SC team...but not all of the pieces...and it's not just that we're missing pieces, we're missing "chunks".

re: crawford...if this were a team where "everything is ready" but the goalie, i'd be the first to say dump the guy...but the problems we have are much more than just the goalie.

as far as crawford not being able to "handle the weight" of this past season, i don't disagree with you..but again, it's obvious that even if Craw could "handle the weight" we still wouldn't be close. i don't think our success 2012/13 lies on dealing with crawford. for better or for worse, this team frontloads offense...and to the degree that approach causes problems it's simply not going to be cured by replacing crawford.

going back to prospects...we need to find out how ready Saad is...can the guy occupy a top 6 spot? and again, we also need to stop stockpiling "not yet ready" prospects whose upside is 2nd or third line (but not 1st line). we really have developed a monopoly on that type. again, i'm not criticizing the hawks drafting...i think we've done well in drafting at the position we're given...but all we're really doing is developing a pile of decent, but not high end kids, that we'd get more value from if we started packaging deal-wise.
I think the Stan Bowman approach to the selloff and rebuilding of the farm system is obvious. It's the ole 'throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see what sticks' method. The Hawks have drafted 9 players in rounds 1 & 2 of the past 2 drafts. That's seriously crazy. That is 4 1/2 years of draft in 2 summers.

Given all that - I'd say that Saad is the only one to have jumped up from his draft position is a bit disappointing. Saad himself is incredible and looks like a huge bargain. But of the other 8...I don't think any of them would be drafted higher if they were redrafted with what is known today in mind. Maybe Clendening or Johns would...maybe.

Of course - if Brandon Saad turns out to be a 1st line star, then it's worth it, regardless of how the other 8 turn out.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
Beach should get the shot first, he's earned it by working his way in the organization. He's also done everything that's been asked of him. Saad maybe brings more raw talent, but Beach brings everything we need right now. A prototypical power forward who can play on a line with Toews and Kane.

he can be a Dan Carcillo with 30-40-70 potential. How do you turn that down?

Not like some seasoning in Rockford would hurt Saad.
I agree with this. While there's reasons to think Saad may be more ready. Time is ticking on Beach and he deserves a chance at some point. And as you said, it won't kill Saad to get a bit of seasoning in Rockford.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:39 AM
Evanpuckstuffer
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Trading Kane for O'Reilly makes no sense for us.
He has been playing nhl12 to much because Ryan ore illy I get him for dirt cheap and he is 85 ovr every year. Put down the remote

Evanpuckstuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:50 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree with this. While there's reasons to think Saad may be more ready. Time is ticking on Beach and he deserves a chance at some point. And as you said, it won't kill Saad to get a bit of seasoning in Rockford.
i'm just not sold on beach at all...if he has so much potential, i'd prefer to dump him for a recent return. as far as preferring beach because he's "worked his way up"...forget it - given our embarrassing loss to Torres et al. now is the time to be performance-oriented not democratic.

as far as saad goes...i'm not really interested in seeing him in rockford at all. i'd like to see how he performs w/ the big club and whether he's currently able to occupy a top-six spot. as far as him "over-achieving" for his draft spot...all i can say is "he better"...iirc he was supposed to go high first round at one point (on the basis of his skill) before various personal factors made him drop.