Old
05-28-2012, 02:38 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech in Hockey View Post
The sky is not falling.

I know as Minnesota sports fans we are conditioned to always lose, and be highly negative - always have been always will be.

Let's not forget our team got rocked by serious injuries and had ZERO depth in which to fill from. Things are looking beter on that end. Hell. Even Zucker was an improvement at the end and he's not even in our top 5 prospects.

I would reasonably say we are top three running in teams. We are at the bottom of those three, but that is still a very decent chance. There are 30 teams, so even if we don't get one or both, it's not the end of the world.

I would like them to come here though. Both. But seriously: If we even had Parise last year, we very well would have made it into at least the first round with all the injuries.

Let's not forget we were #1 in the league into December. They did earn that.
That's always the question, are we really that good? Or did we go back to our mean along with the injuries? But with all the prospects turning pro this year we'll have the depth to fill in once guys get injured.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:56 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech in Hockey View Post
The sky is not falling.

I know as Minnesota sports fans we are conditioned to always lose, and be highly negative - always have been always will be.

Let's not forget our team got rocked by serious injuries and had ZERO depth in which to fill from. Things are looking beter on that end. Hell. Even Zucker was an improvement at the end and he's not even in our top 5 prospects.

I would reasonably say we are top three running in teams. We are at the bottom of those three, but that is still a very decent chance. There are 30 teams, so even if we don't get one or both, it's not the end of the world.

I would like them to come here though. Both. But seriously: If we even had Parise last year, we very well would have made it into at least the first round with all the injuries.

Let's not forget we were #1 in the league into December. They did earn that.
I know there's some upsides, I dont want to sound like the sky is falling, Im basically just saying that Im going with the wait & see approach... Im just sick of all the disappointment that constantly follows Minnesota sports...

Im just going to expect to not sign Parise or Suter, Im going to expect that most if not all our prospects will be busts, I expect to again be the lowest scoring team in hockey and Im going to expect to be a lottery team next year that was again riddled by injuries...

I figure that way anything else is just a nice surprise & i'll be happy about it but im so sick of the "if" line of thought.. IF all our players stay healthy, IF we sign a couple big name FA's IF our prospects live up to expectations.. etc, etc... Once we actually make the playoffs continually & look like a threat I'll start expecting more but when we cant even make the playoffs in half a decade Im done thinking that we're all of a sudden going to be some hockey powerhouse because we got a few prospects and because a couple big name FA's have connections to Minnesota...

I will agree that out of the 30 teams in the league we probably have a better shot than at least 24 of landing Parise but probably only better than about 10 at Landing Suter.. and the teams ahead of us on that list have lot to offer...

Hell, for all we know, Parise could re-sign with the Devils and talk Suter into coming to NJ...

My money is on that they both sign with either the Red Wings or Rangers.. Those seem to be the teams that big name players clamor for...

Old
05-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 50
If they sign with either the Red Wings or Rags I will lose it.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Suter I see as a total pipe-dream; there's no reason for him to favor Minnesota over other teams that can offer him a chance at a Cup in the immediate future. Coming to the Wild would be like stepping back in time with the Preds and fighting for credibility. May as well just stay put at that point.

Parise, well, the family thing is the only reason to come here when you are being courted by much more storied and successful franchises. If GMCF (and JP) and convince him that he would put the Wild over the top into contender status, then maybe. Otherwise, not gonna happen.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Rabiddog

[QUOTE=Bookman;50249305]Suter I see as a total pipe-dream; there's no reason for him to favor Minnesota over other teams that can offer him a chance at a Cup in the immediate future. Coming to the Wild would be like stepping back in time with the Preds and fighting for credibility. May as well just stay put at that point.

I actually think there is a good possibality he picks the wild. He has a family and is thinking of there best interest in his decision. His wife has a big say in this to and she's from here. He might want to watch his kids grow up playing hockey other then the canadien teams Minnesota has the best set up for that. When you have a family your decision envolves them to.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
They both certainly have Minnesota connections. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

Old
05-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

People that are wired like Parise don't go to teams that they view as being far away from a Cup. Even if New Jersey wins the Cup I would bet he views the Wild with less regard than the other teams that will be offering the same amount of money, if not more, to him.

I think one Cup for him will turn into the desire for a 2nd one.. and soon. Doubt he wants to start from the bottom just so he can take claim for turning around a franchise/establishing a winning culture. He can join one of those elsewhere.. right now.

That said, I want him on this team.

Old
05-28-2012, 08:37 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
I honestly don't see it happening.

At least one of the reasons is Parise plays with Zid and Sykora. Both of whom hated playing here and left on pretty ugly terms. I've no doubt they're both freely passing on their dislike of the organization.
This logic keeps popping up, and I think it gets worse every time I see it. Remember, Parise played for longer with Veilleux and Foster, both of whom would have killed to get back to Minnesota. No one ever seems to mention that as a reason he'd come here, but that's because it's horrible logic either way.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
This logic keeps popping up, and I think it gets worse every time I see it. Remember, Parise played for longer with Veilleux and Foster, both of whom would have killed to get back to Minnesota. No one ever seems to mention that as a reason he'd come here, but that's because it's horrible logic either way.
Not necessarily. Just logic you disagree with.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:03 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Keep in mind GMCF is the prodigy of a UFA recruiting legend. Both Ryan Suter's uncle and agent signed on to play under Cliff Fletcher -- with current player agent Niel Sheehy being a UFA signing of the elder Fletcher back in the 80s. Its possible the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

05-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Avder
Is only game.

If he manages to get one, I will be impressed.

If he manages to get both, I will consider him the Wild's Personal Savior.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:17 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffran View Post
I actually think there is a good possibality he picks the wild. He has a family and is thinking of there best interest in his decision. His wife has a big say in this to and she's from here. He might want to watch his kids grow up playing hockey other then the canadien teams Minnesota has the best set up for that. When you have a family your decision envolves them to.
This.

Also, Ryan Suter's wife, Becky, lists her prominent Minneapolis real estate developer dad as her current employer.

I would hazard to guess Minnesota real estate records will show a purchase on Lake Minnetonka by a Suter or Palmer in the near future.

She didn't go to U of WI bus schl just to change diapers.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 513
Well, it makes for interesting speculation when you take money out of the equation. Both guys know there is a limit to what they'll rake in, unlike baseball, where only a handful of teams would be lining up for the services of elite UFAs like Suter and Parise.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:03 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Not necessarily. Just logic you disagree with.
its bad logic because this is a massive life altering decision for Parise. He isn't going to listen to Zidz who started a **** storm to get out of MN and make his decision based on that.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Or maybe Zidlicky and Sykora being on NJ helps us. Maybe Zach hates them so much that he can't wait to get the hell out of Jersey and prove them wrong about the Wild.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:22 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
its bad logic because this is a massive life altering decision for Parise. He isn't going to listen to Zidz who started a **** storm to get out of MN and make his decision based on that.
Exactly. No one is going to base even a tiny bit of a decision like that on "bitter player who behaved like Zid did doesn't like it in a place." For every team, they're someone in the league that hates it and would never play there by choice.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I don't even wanna see how little goals we'll score if we both let Lats go and don't sign Parise. We'd basically be forced to call up Coyle, Larsson, and others when they most likely aren't entirely ready in the first place. I mean let's assume Butch isn't ready to go, the above scenario happens and Fletcher doesn't want to call up the young guys yet, that would be an ugly top 6.

Heatley - Koivu - Seto
Cullen - Brodziak - Granlund

Old
05-29-2012, 10:00 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Suter I see as a total pipe-dream; there's no reason for him to favor Minnesota over other teams that can offer him a chance at a Cup in the immediate future. Coming to the Wild would be like stepping back in time with the Preds and fighting for credibility. May as well just stay put at that point.

Parise, well, the family thing is the only reason to come here when you are being courted by much more storied and successful franchises. If GMCF (and JP) and convince him that he would put the Wild over the top into contender status, then maybe. Otherwise, not gonna happen.
I actually think the chances are higher that the Wild sign Suter than Parise.....especially if the Devils fall to the Kings.

This should be an interesting week as Poile is supposed to be meeting with Suter's agent (Sheehy) to discuss contract. Some of Suter's own words make it sound as if it might be a long shot for the Predators to get him re-signed, but we'll see.

The Wild have been heavily rumored to be one of only a handful of teams that Suter is seriously considering, the others being Colorado and Detroit. Again, these are only rumors and no one really knows for sure what's going on in his head, or Parise's for that matter.

Heck, there's a chance that both of them get new deals with their respective teams making this whole discussion moot.

Old
05-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
The Wild have been heavily rumored to be one of only a handful of teams that Suter is seriously considering, the others being Colorado and Detroit. Again, these are only rumors and no one really knows for sure what's going on in his head, or Parise's for that matter.
Do you have a source on this? The only rumors I've heard have been on HFBoards, and those are only based on Minnesota, Colorado, and Detroit having enough cap space to sign both Parise and Suter.

Old
05-29-2012, 10:58 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Do you have a source on this? The only rumors I've heard have been on HFBoards, and those are only based on Minnesota, Colorado, and Detroit having enough cap space to sign both Parise and Suter.
A discussion on XM Home Ice....don't recall who was the specific source. They said that Suter was basically looking for a "comfortable fit" for his family and that the contract was very important...he was looking for a "final" long term contract.

So...maybe "heavily" rumored wasn't the right term. Just a rumor I heard on the radio.

Old
05-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think Minnesota could be a viable destination for either of them, but I think there are going to be a lot of teams in the running for both.

I don't think players are going to make a short-term decision. Like going to Detroit. That's not a guaranteed Cup or even deep playoff run anymore. They have few quality prospects and are getting older.

There are a lot of teams with tons of cap space and great young players or prospects.

Old
05-29-2012, 11:48 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
A discussion on XM Home Ice
There have been several conversations on XM Home Ice on the topic of Ryan Suter and Minnesota comes up the most.

One of the regular guests, Ian Pulver, has been the only one that has brought up the Gilbert connection from Wisconsin...

Old
05-29-2012, 12:55 PM
se7en
infamous...

I read thru what you guys post & I start to get my hopes up. Knock it off! haha

I still dont believe for a second we get either of them... But oh man, as Avder said, if somehow GMCF managed to get even one I would be thoroughly impressed. If he somehow manged to get both I think I might consider him a god among men..

but there I go letting rumors on stupid HF boards make me think we might actually have a chance again...

I just don't think we do... I guess i base it on if I was a player, even tho Im from Minnesota, if I had a chance to play for the Red Wings or the Rangers, the Blackhawks, the Flyers, the Penguins, or hell even the Maple Leafs or Canadians. I would wipe my ass with the Wilds contract offer & laugh in their face. If we were still the North Stars & had history & respect than sure. But I would feel no connection to some cheesy franchise they happened to put in my home state when I was already 15 (I think I did my math right...) As a whole, I love the Islanders more than the Wild just because of the years from '92 on when we had the house in Queens, NY...

Im just a fan & I dont even like putting a Wild jersey on... I wear every jersey I have more than I wear a Wild jersey. I think Wild jersey's are embarrassing... I mean everyone's different so I hope they dont think like me, I just know that even being from Minnesota I would pick at least 10 other teams long before I would even consider the Wild if i was a pro, regardless of where my wife is from...

Old
05-29-2012, 12:55 PM
TZM
Par too easy

I wish there was no chance to sign either of them so I wouldn't have to expect anything... That's how pessimistic I am.

E:

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I read thru what you guys post & I start to get my hopes up. Knock it off! haha
^ Stole my words.

Last edited by TZM: 05-29-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old
05-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
if I had a chance to play for the Red Wings or the Rangers, the Blackhawks, the Flyers, the Penguins, or hell even the Maple Leafs or Canadians.

Im just a fan & I dont even like putting a Wild jersey on... I wear every jersey I have more than I wear a Wild jersey. I think Wild jersey's are embarrassing...
What is this I don't even...

Wow. Sometimes there isn't a proper .GIF or enough facepalms. Jesus..

Like the Maple Leafs have such a rich, illustrious history..

Closed Thread