HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jerry D'amigo and Deschamps..

Old
05-28-2012, 02:36 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Was the Marlies PK any good?

I've heard it was pretty good and D'Amigo was part of that?

Is that true?

I've heard D'Amigo does what coach asks, and can play anywhere.

Are we looking at a top 6 or bottom 6 forward?

If he's a bottom 6 forward, how would playing him on the 4th. line with PK duties stunt his development?
Hes 100% a 3rd liner. Him and Gregg Scott were the #1 pk pairing. D'amigo blocks shots and suffocates the puck/play like no other player. Scott would pick it up and fly down the rink and snipe. He managed to score 20+ goals on the 4th line/PK. The Marlies had the #1 PK in the AHL regular and post season. D'amigo will replace Armstrong/whomever is on the third line currently. I'd say D'amigo is a lock to make the team. Gregg Scott could very well be a leaf next season. The two of them are unbelievable on the PK, and are always a threat to score. Great speed.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:51 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Log-jam on the bottom 6, and I don't think Jerry D is less than a 3rd liner, wouldn't shine in a 4th line role.

Deschamps maybe but some guys would need to be moved LACK for instance.
big ups!!!!

yes!

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:16 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I'll be very surprised if Deschamps ever becomes anything more than a fringe NHLer/star AHLer.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:22 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I actually really like Deschamps. He needs to bulk up, but he certainly doesn't shy away from the corners. He's sort of greasy in that sense. Not a banger, but he'll get his nose dirty. Has some offensive skill too. Probably not a big time point producer, but he can certainly contribute. Probably more naturally gifted offensively then a D'Amigo.

Both players look like they could be players at this point. I think D'Amigo is likely the more ready based on size, speed and role.

05-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I like D'Amigo and Scott, and I hope they can contribute.

Just beware, don't expect much offense, during the reg. season.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
conway902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

Neither Deschamp or D'amigo have put together an extended stretch of dominant play at any level.
I guess D'amigo being a top guy on a gold winning jr team doesn't count?

I guess we shouldn't count this years playoffs because he only started playing good when it really mattered the most

conway902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:11 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Give them a shot at training camp and in the preseason. If they prove earn themselves a spot over some of the other 3rd/4th liners, then maybe they'll see some regular season action. If they don't, then another year in the AHL wouldn't be a bad thing; maybe they might even see some games later in the season depending on their play and injuries.

Right now we've got a lot of young forwards who are close to being ready for the NHL and only a few spots up for grabs; Frattin, Kadri, Colborne, Ashton, D'Amigo, Deschamps...not a bad problem to have.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:15 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post
Enlighten us all how its safe to say that about Kadri.

My god you go all out to bash him every chance you get. Did he **** your sister or something?
that's easy. he was drafted in 2009 and did not make the cut in the 09-10 season, the 10-11 season, and the 11-12 season. he has had only 30 NHL games in that time. so what makes you think he's going to make it this time? is he a Burke / Carlyle type of guy? is he the size/jam Burke wants to add to this team? it's pretty safe at this point to say that Kadri is a long shot despite the scrolling prospects ticker at the top of the screen.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:18 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I actually really like Deschamps. He needs to bulk up, but he certainly doesn't shy away from the corners. He's sort of greasy in that sense. Not a banger, but he'll get his nose dirty. Has some offensive skill too. Probably not a big time point producer, but he can certainly contribute. Probably more naturally gifted offensively then a D'Amigo.

Both players look like they could be players at this point. I think D'Amigo is likely the more ready based on size, speed and role.

myself and the hockey future's staff are finally on the same page.

go deschamps go!

Old
05-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
that's easy. he was drafted in 2009 and did not make the cut in the 09-10 season, the 10-11 season, and the 11-12 season. he has had only 30 NHL games in that time. so what makes you think he's going to make it this time? is he a Burke / Carlyle type of guy? is he the size/jam Burke wants to add to this team? it's pretty safe at this point to say that Kadri is a long shot despite the scrolling prospects ticker at the top of the screen.
Brayden Schenn, Ryan Ellis, Zack Kassian, Peter Holland, Louis Leblanc, Chris Kreider and Simon Depres didn't make the cut the last three years either. I guess none of these players will make the cut this year either.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Brayden Schenn, Ryan Ellis, Zack Kassian, Peter Holland, Louis Leblanc, Chris Kreider and Simon Depres didn't make the cut the last three years either. I guess none of these players will make the cut this year either.
Kreider can be an exception as he was in the NCAA.

But I agree with you, Kadri is on a fine pace and he's showing he can be someone good.

05-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Thomas Malthus
The Dismal Team

Quote:
Everyone's favourite almost-Leaf Brayden Schenn, who was drafted two spots ahead of Kadri has played only 63 career regular season games to date with 20 points.I suppose you think that Brayden Schenn will come to Philly's camp uninspired because he expects a roster spot based on his draft position too, huh? Give me a break. In comparison, Nazem Kadri has played 51 career games and has 19 points.

Kadri may not have the size or defensive prowess that you might like but he's a highly skilled player that has improved his deficiencies under Eakins. He has more grit than you give him credit for and can draw penalties and agitate. I don't think Burke would have drafted him if he wasn't a Burke type player.

Thomas Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
i might be a little biased.

it's safe to say that Kadri will come into next training camp uninspired, and thinking that he's a lock for the team based on being drafted 7th.

i hope that D and D make it tough for RC to make a decision. Deschamps gets the edge on D'Amigo because Randy knows him from Anaheim.
Well, after failing to crack the lineup since 2009, I doubt that. Kadri will work his tail off in the off season to be NHL ready. And if JD outplays ND, RC won't give 2 s's about any of that BS.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Leafsfan64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Malthus View Post
Everyone's favourite almost-Leaf Brayden Schenn, who was drafted two spots ahead of Kadri has played only 63 career regular season games to date with 20 points.I suppose you think that Brayden Schenn will come to Philly's camp uninspired because he expects a roster spot based on his draft position too, huh? Give me a break. In comparison, Nazem Kadri has played 51 career games and has 19 points.

Kadri may not have the size or defensive prowess that you might like but he's a highly skilled player that has improved his deficiencies under Eakins. He has more grit than you give him credit for and can draw penalties and agitate. I don't think Burke would have drafted him if he wasn't a Burke type player.
I'm not so sure... Burke has said he was building a team for his Coach... since its only fair if you are evaluating a coach, the team should be put together the way the Coach wants it. Ron Wilson's style of game is MUCH different than Randy Carlyle's....

Leafsfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan64 View Post
I'm not so sure... Burke has said he was building a team for his Coach... since its only fair if you are evaluating a coach, the team should be put together the way the Coach wants it. Ron Wilson's style of game is MUCH different than Randy Carlyle's....
Burke at one point called Kadri to be the top gun because he can do anything. I dont think its Wilson he picked Nazem for but his own style, he likes his game, skill and also grittiness. He has it and it bugs people because he can get under people's skin with or without his skill.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:24 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
D'amigo id love to make it, Deschamps probably won't.

IMO, if all goes well within the next couple years,

Lupul - Grigs/Gally - Kessel
Kadri - Grabovski - Kulemin
Frattin - Bozak - D'amigo

With Ross, Biggs, and Deschamps knocking on the door.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Burke at one point called Kadri to be the top gun because he can do anything. I dont think its Wilson he picked Nazem for but his own style, he likes his game, skill and also grittiness. He has it and it bugs people because he can get under people's skin with or without his skill.
Agreed. He called him a mean little *******, actually. If Naz can bring that element to the NHL he will be a high scoring pain in the ass who draws penalties and opens up space for line mates.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:42 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
I guess D'amigo being a top guy on a gold winning jr team doesn't count?

I guess we shouldn't count this years playoffs because he only started playing good when it really mattered the most
Did he play in the NCAA? Any awards there?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Drew311
Play Me

I think the whole "Burke-type player" thing has been blown out of proportion. He gave up a king's ransom for Kessel, who you would think is the furthest thing from the prototypical Burke-type player.

Historically he's built his teams with the top six/bottom six model, filling his top six with lots of skill, and not necessarily gritty forwards. As Burke said to Paul Holmgren at last years draft, you can't just fill your team with a bunch of Brian Burkes and Paul Holmgrens, you need some skill too.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:52 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
I'm intrigued by D'Amigo I see him as a 30pt 3rd liner whose very respondsible defensively probably see him on the checking line that Carlyle will have. and then I can also see him be a Pisani, King, Bergenheim type third liner that ups his play in the playoffs and contributes a little more offensively then in the long regular season.

however I think he will be back in the AHL next year being an injury call up and the year after that I see him making the Leafs full time

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:56 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

hey,

i don't have a crystal ball. i can't predict how RC will feel about him in training camp. all i know is that Kadri has failed to make the team in 3 attempts. will his 2 seasons with the marlies be enough? is he now man enough to play with NHLers? i am going to stay 'half glass empty' on this one. i say he either is traded or he stays down while deschamp, ashton, or d'amigo get a shot.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:20 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
hey,

i don't have a crystal ball. i can't predict how RC will feel about him in training camp. all i know is that Kadri has failed to make the team in 3 attempts. will his 2 seasons with the marlies be enough? is he now man enough to play with NHLers? i am going to stay 'half glass empty' on this one. i say he either is traded or he stays down while deschamp, ashton, or d'amigo get a shot.
lucky for us what you say has absolutely no bearing on the leafs.

lol you obviously dont even watch the marlies, kadri is probably the most ready prospect on that team, or is very close to it.

the difference between kadri and most of the other prospects, as that his version of ready will allow him to step right into the top 6. the rest of the guys will step into bottom roles.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:27 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

alas...we are talking about deschamp and not kadri

he comes from a strong pedigree like schenn, gardiner, and colborne (all drafted in 08):

1st round
1. stamkos
2. doughty
3. bogosian
4. pietrangelo
5. schenn
6. filatov
7. wilson
8. boedker
9. bailey
10.hodgson
11.beach
12.myers
13.teubert
14.boychuck
15.karlsson
16.colborne
17.gardiner
18.pickard
19.sbisa
20.del zotto
21.gustafsson
22.eberle
23.cuma
24.tedenby
25.nemisz
26.ennis
27.carlson
28.tikhonov
29.leveille
30.mccollum

2nd Round

31.markstrom
32.voynov
33.mcrae
34.allen
35.deschamps

this is an outstanding draft class and our boy deschamps was chosen 35th.

he played for chicoutimi in the Q and has a solid 96 points in 64 games in 09-10.

it's time to start believing people.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:33 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
lucky for us what you say has absolutely no bearing on the leafs.

lol you obviously dont even watch the marlies, kadri is probably the most ready prospect on that team, or is very close to it.

the difference between kadri and most of the other prospects, as that his version of ready will allow him to step right into the top 6. the rest of the guys will step into bottom roles.
you're the 9,000th leaf fan to accuse me of not watching games. i've seen 2 marlies playoff games this year, and i've seen kadri play twice for the leafs (that includes my platinum ticket in kadri's first exhibition game after he was drafted).

the difference between you an me is that i can weave through the bs. i don't get pumped about YouTube videos like you do. how do you expect Kadri to crack the top 6 when it's loaded with finesse type players to begin with? enough of this. talk about deschamps or go and start a "kadri is a lock for the top 6" thread.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
he comes from a strong pedigree like schenn, gardiner, and colborne (all drafted in 08):

1st round
1. stamkos
2. doughty
3. bogosian
4. pietrangelo
5. schenn
6. filatov
7. wilson
8. boedker
9. bailey
10.hodgson
11.beach
12.myers
13.teubert
14.boychuck
15.karlsson
16.colborne
17.gardiner
18.pickard
19.sbisa
20.del zotto
21.gustafsson
22.eberle
23.cuma
24.tedenby
25.nemisz
26.ennis
27.carlson
28.tikhonov
29.leveille
30.mccollum

2nd Round

31.markstrom
32.voynov
33.mcrae
34.allen
35.deschamps

this is an outstanding draft class and our boy deschamps was chosen 35th.

he played for chicoutimi in the Q and has a solid 96 points in 64 games in 09-10.

it's time to start believing people.
I don't even know where to start with this. You make my brain hurt, and I don't want to waste anymore time and energy telling you why you're wrong, on so many levels, on every topic you wish to throw in your two cents.