HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jerry D'amigo and Deschamps..

Old
05-28-2012, 07:44 PM
MoeMoney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
I forgot this.
D'Amigo is ready to go, he's been drafted and developing for 4 years now.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Certainly not as regulars by next season. And even then if they end up playing more than 12/13 minutes a night this team is in huge trouble.

Guys like Lombardi, Armstrong, Lombardi, CMac and Bozak are vastly superior players.

There is a huge difference between succeeding at the AHL level and the NHL level. Neither Deschamp or D'amigo have put together an extended stretch of dominant play at any level. Consider that Joey Crabb was hands down the best player in the AHL at the start of the year and is a 3rd/4th line guy at the NHL level.

Or Phillipe Dupuis was an awful NHLer but is a PPG player in the AHL playoffs this year.

Toronto has lots of good 3rd/4th line types. We desperately need goaltending help and an upgrade at the top of lineup over at least one but probably 2 of Bozak, CMac and Connolly to eat up over 15 minutes a night at forward. Until these issues get solved the results will continue to be the same.
Agreed completely. Both of those guys could fill in as fourth liners for a few games next year, maybe...nothing more.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:12 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
two cents.
ok.

good job.

here's a quarter.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
hey,

i don't have a crystal ball. i can't predict how RC will feel about him in training camp. all i know is that Kadri has failed to make the team in 3 attempts. will his 2 seasons with the marlies be enough? is he now man enough to play with NHLers? i am going to stay 'half glass empty' on this one. i say he either is traded or he stays down while deschamp, ashton, or d'amigo get a shot.
Say what you want, but to predict that he will come to camp with a half assed effort leaves you vulnerable to a ton of criticism. There's nothing about him that suggests he half ***** it in camp this fall. He wants desperately to be an NHLer, and if not with the Leafs, somewhere else. He needs to compete to earn that shot, and he knows it.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:54 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Say what you want, but to predict that he will come to camp with a half assed effort leaves you vulnerable to a ton of criticism. There's nothing about him that suggests he half ***** it in camp this fall. He wants desperately to be an NHLer, and if not with the Leafs, somewhere else. He needs to compete to earn that shot, and he knows it.
it's ok. we're all vulnerable. i have a style where i bring up certain players. i don't really care about the tears, jealousy, or sideways glances. making it to the NHL is not for the meek.

deschamps is a guy a lot of people won't have on their radar. he has that hockey IQ that others don't. his game is alive all 60 minutes (unlike Kadri who's game comes alive when he finally gets the puck on his stick). he knows what to do without the puck and when he has it he makes very few mistakes. that kind of guy is not really appreciated around these parts.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
it's ok. we're all vulnerable. i have a style where i bring up certain players. i don't really care about the tears, jealousy, or sideways glances. making it to the NHL is not for the meek.

deschamps is a guy a lot of people won't have on their radar. he has that hockey IQ that others don't. his game is alive all 60 minutes (unlike Kadri who's game comes alive when he finally gets the puck on his stick). he knows what to do without the puck and when he has it he makes very few mistakes. that kind of guy is not really appreciated around these parts.
Ive been impressed with Deschamps' hustle and chemistry with Jerry D, but to presume Kadri won't make an effort to compete is another issue, and there's nothing to support that kind of statement. You flatter yourself if you think baseless remarks like these cause 'jealousy' or 'sideways glances'...points for style, but there's a pronounced lack of substance with what you're hoping to sell...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:41 AM
darrylsittler27

Reality is...

We overrate our prospects.Ahl aint Nhl.Training camp will tell the tale.Myself ,Kadri will be traded,he is too small for a soft team.Frattin is a 3rd liner minimum.D'Amigo is a nice call up for 3rd line duty.Blacker will be an NHLer as will Percy.Deschamps spot duty as call up for injury filler.Colborne is a good 3rd line center and Holzer may make 7th dman.None of these players will dramatically change our fortunes in the East,but they are nice depth players.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:51 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Are the Leafs unique in doing this?
apparently so

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:55 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
i
Just out of curiosity, why was Deschamps traded for Luca Caputi? Did Anaheim see something in Caputi that made Deschamps expendable?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:58 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Just out of curiosity, why was Deschamps traded for Luca Caputi? Did Anaheim see something in Caputi that made Deschamps expendable?
A lot of teams have seen something in Caputi. He's got good size and not so bad hands. He hasn't been healthy in Toronto, and hasn't really put it all together. Deschamps was having a hard time in Anaheim, so they made a swap and hope that the change would do each player good. Deschamps has definitely benefited most from this move.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
A lot of teams have seen something in Caputi. He's got good size and not so bad hands. He hasn't been healthy in Toronto, and hasn't really put it all together. Deschamps was having a hard time in Anaheim, so they made a swap and hope that the change would do each player good. Deschamps has definitely benefited most from this move.
Feel good story of the year. Luca is a reminder of the Poni trade. I think the future is going to be bright Deschamps here. I'm not saying he'll be better than Poni, but I see him bringing different elements that were never in Poni's game.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Feel good story of the year. Luca is a reminder of the Poni trade. I think the future is going to be bright Deschamps here. I'm not saying he'll be better than Poni, but I see him bringing different elements that were never in Poni's game.
Deschamps hits.. Poni.. not so much.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:21 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

It's time to move Mac and Brown for Deschamps and D'amigo

Mac was a good signing for us, but he has trade value for the Buds. *He can be include in a trade for our goalie or 1C needs. He makes a $3.25 million that can be better served elsewhere.

Brown is horrible offensively. He has had significant injuries (missed 64 games in the last two years). i haven't seen him throw his weight around enough to say that he gives us superior toughness. I think our toughness roster spot should be saved for Orr or Rosehill. *He can be include in a trade for our goalie or 1C needs.

Q: Who will replace these players?
A: D'amigo and Deschamps

Both of them are NHL ready. Both are smarter/cheaper options. Ages 21/22 with a lot of experience in Jr. and the AHL.

Deschamps has a terrific two way game, and more of a pass first type player. Just like Mac, but a much more defensively oriented player.

D'amigo is fast and brings more of an offensive upside to the leafs 4th line. i also think when the time is right he'll gain enough confidence in the NHL to play the wing on the 2nd line.

Lupul ____ Kessel
JVR Grabo Frattin/Kadri/Connolly
Deschamps McClement Kuli
D'amigo Steckel Orr/Rosehill

Gunn Dion
JML Holzer
Gardiner Komi
Franson

_____
Reimer
Scrivens

Head Coach: Randy Carlyle

Last edited by ForSpareParts*: 07-15-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old
07-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
I guess D'amigo being a top guy on a gold winning jr team doesn't count?

I guess we shouldn't count this years playoffs because he only started playing good when it really mattered the most
Good job on only quoting a portion of my post so that it's taken out of context so you can tailor it towards your argument!

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Mac was a good signing for us, but he has trade value for the Buds. He can be moved for our goalie or 1C needs. He makes a $3.25 million that can be better served elsewhere.

Brown is horrible offensively. He has had significant injuries (missed 64 games in the last two years). i haven't seen him throw his weight around enough to say that he gives us superior toughness. I think our toughness roster spot should be saved for Orr or Rosehill.

Both of them are NHL ready. Both are smarter/cheaper options. Ages 21/22 with a lot of experience in Jr. and the AHL.

Deschamps has a terrific two way game, and more of a pass first type player. Just like Mac, but a much more defensively oriented player.

D'amigo is fast and brings more of an offensive upside to the leafs 4th line. i also think when the time is right he'll gain enough confidence in the NHL to play the wing on the 2nd line.

Lupul ____ Kessel
Deschamps McClement Kuli

Gunn Dion
JML Holzer
Gardiner Komi
Franson

_____
Reimer
Scrivens

Kadri and to a lesser extent Frattin are what will make CMac expendable hopefully as early as the end of training camp.

Deschamp and D'Amigo shouldn't be given spots with the big club. If the Leafs are at least a playoff team this year your at best looking at something like 10-20 games as injury call-ups or if the Leafs are out of it by the trade deadline they could possibly get 30 or 40 games because lots of vets are shipped out of town.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Mac was a good signing for us, but he has trade value for the Buds. He can be moved for our goalie or 1C needs. He makes a $3.25 million that can be better served elsewhere.

Brown is horrible offensively. He has had significant injuries (missed 64 games in the last two years). i haven't seen him throw his weight around enough to say that he gives us superior toughness. I think our toughness roster spot should be saved for Orr or Rosehill.

Lupul ____ Kessel
Deschamps McClement Kuli

Gunn Dion
JML Holzer
Gardiner Komi
Franson

_____
Reimer
Scrivens

I love when people make trade proposals but never fill in the players who we got in return. If you think Mac is the only NHL ready player that will be traded to land a Number 1 Center, you are fooling yourself.

Also love how you included the Head Coach in case anyone forgot lol.

Eb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:38 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:

Lupul ____ Kessel
Deschamps McClement Kuli

Gunn Dion
JML Holzer
Gardiner Komi
Franson

_____
Reimer
Scrivens

Please.... explain that statement. What are you basing their abilities to be NHL regulars on? All of the NHL games they've played? Their success in the league?

....... Didn't think so.

Kadri is working his tail off this summer, and doing it with Gary Roberts, gaining core strength and explosiveness. Couple that with working with Barbara Underhill on his stride, and there's no bloody way you can assume he won't come into camp hungry.

Your obsession with Deschamps absolutely blinds you. If he EVER becomes a regular NHL'er, he's going to have to show a heck of a lot more than what he has.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:38 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
I love when people make trade proposals but never fill in the players who we got in return. If you think Mac is the only NHL ready player that will be traded to land a Number 1 Center, you are fooling yourself.

Also love how you included the Head Coach in case anyone forgot lol.

you should give me the benefit of the doubt. No. Mac can't get us our 1C, and Brown can't get us our G. i didn't include a lot of players on this roster either. Maybe Percy makes a big splash in camp or possibly Blacker. i didn't include them either. i will however change things so that it indicates that they are *included* in trades.

the thread is about D and D. my post is about moving those guys that (people will soon realize) are expendable.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:52 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Please.... explain that statement. What are you basing their abilities to be NHL regulars on? All of the NHL games they've played? Their success in the league?

....... Didn't think so.

Kadri is working his tail off this summer, and doing it with Gary Roberts, gaining core strength and explosiveness. Couple that with working with Barbara Underhill on his stride, and there's no bloody way you can assume he won't come into camp hungry.

Your obsession with Deschamps absolutely blinds you. If he EVER becomes a regular NHL'er, he's going to have to show a heck of a lot more than what he has.
Deschamps and D'amigo are both eating potato chips and catching up on Season 2 of Game of Thrones this off season.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:59 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Deschamps and D'amigo are both eating potato chips and catching up on Season 2 of Game of Thrones this off season.
Nobody said that.

Please point to the part where I said that they weren't working hard themselves.... I'll wait.....

Kadri is better than, and closer than both of them. Kadri and Frattin will be regulars out of camp, and Holzer has a chance as well.

Also, why does everyone act like pro hockey players don't ever eat something fattening if they're working hard in the offseason? They have some of the most intense workout regimens, and eating chips and drinking beer can be easily shredded. They're humans...

Old
07-15-2012, 04:02 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Nobody said that.

Please point to the part where I said that they weren't working hard themselves.... I'll wait.....

Kadri is better than, and closer than both of them. Kadri and Frattin will be regulars out of camp, and Holzer has a chance as well.
calm
down

Old
07-15-2012, 04:08 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
calm
down
I don't understand you... you make a statement that implies and assumes I'm saying something I'm not, and I ask you to kindly point out where I said what you implied.

either way, you still haven't given any evidence as to where you're seeing their readiness from.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:13 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
I don't understand you... you make a statement that implies and assumes I'm saying something I'm not, and I ask you to kindly point out where I said what you implied.

either way, you still haven't given any evidence as to where you're seeing their readiness from.
there are all sorts of ways to approach things. i suggest you try them. your tone is one in which you will not be satisfied no matter what i type.

i get it:

you love kadri.

fine.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:22 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Brown is horrible offensively.
He's not here to score goals.
Quote:
i haven't seen him throw his weight around enough to say that he gives us superior toughness. I think our toughness roster spot should be saved for Orr or Rosehill.
Orr and Rosehill being available do NOT make Brown redundant. He does exactly what he's supposed to do: he provides energy using his speed and grit.

Quote:
Neither of them are like either Brown of MacArthur.
Quote:

Both of them are NHL ready.
There is nothing to suggest this is true.
Quote:
Both are smarter/cheaper options.
Cap room isn't a huge issue; Brown makes an insignificant amount greater than either player.
Quote:

Ages 21/22 with a lot of experience in Jr. and the AHL.

We need to have reliable options on our team until we can prove our top-end 'stars' can carry us. Replacing Brown and Mac for total question marks is completely uncalculated and leaving yourself open for trouble when Kessel and the like run into dry spots. Thank God that is something Burke would never do.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:23 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
there are all sorts of ways to approach things. i suggest you try them. your tone is one in which you will not be satisfied no matter what i type.

i get it:

you love kadri.

fine.
What approach should I take? The one that ignorantly assumes that a kid will come to camp without a chip on his shoulder, after not making the squad the last 3 years? The one that goes against the evidence to the contrary?

Or should I go with the common approach of many around here, where they (for one reason or another) cheer against some of our prospects, because they stand in the way of their favourite career 4th line/AHL'er?

I don't "love" Kadri, any more than I "love" our other prospects. Stating the obvious (that he's better than both of the players in question, and closer to regular NHL duty than either) is pretty basic in this case. I guess you could say that I "love" D'amigo, and Colborne, and Holzer, and Blacker, and Percy..... we could go on until the list is done. I hope for the best for ALL of our prospects.

Oh, my approach, FYI, is one based in reality. I watch/play/coach/read about hockey. It doesn't take rocket science to see that D'amigo and Deschamps aren't at the level of a guy like Kadri. It's not loving one more than the other, it's the reality of the situation.

Again, I'm definitely open to the reasoning behind your idea that they're NHL ready.