HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 5s (Albums, Songs, Shows, Video Games, etc)

Old
05-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
sorry if this comes across twice, but for some reason it didn't show up the first time (but I hit send before finishing anyhow).

For me, a top 5 is really tough because of the number of years I've been listening to music and how eclectic my tastes are. But here's an attempt:

#5: Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
#4: Dave Brubek - Time Out
#3: The Naked Truth - Golden Earring
#2: Metallica - Garage Inc
#1: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Honorable Mentions. Any one of these could replace one in the top 5 given what I'm in the mood to listen to:

GNR-Appetite for Destruction; AC/DC - Back in Black and High Voltage; Ozzy - Blizzard of Ozz; Come Dancing - Kinks; Cosmic Thing - B52s; Dire Straits - Dire Straits; Everybody Else is Doing It - Cranberries; Out of Time - REM; Los Lonely Boys; Texas Flood..and..In Step-Stevie Ray Vaughn; Tres Hombres - ZZ Top;

I'm sure I missed one or two.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Discipline Daddy
NHL All star Aucoin

This is so hard for me. I've actually worked out a rough draft of my top 100 albums; I'm such an audiophile that getting 5 is ridiculously hard. I've also included my supernerdy synopses of the top 5. Feel free to ignore.

Here goes:

Honorable Mentions - Moxy Fruvous - Bargainville, James Taylor - Sweet Baby James, The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts, The Pernice Brothers - Our World Won't End

5) The Beatles - The White Album
(did I really need a picture?)

I've always said this album would've been hands down the best Beatles album if they'd released it as a single album and cut out some of the albums lowlights (Don't Pass Me By, Revolution 9, Why Don't We Do it in the Road). I know they have their place, but ultimately they serve as an annoyance as I hit skip so that I can hear the amazing other songs that occupy this great record. There's so much to love here and so much variation, from the cool blues of Julia, to the simple love ballad of I Will (my favorite Beatles song), to the rock jams of Back in the USSR and Helter Skelter, to the slow-glazed, wide-eyed Long, Long, Long. I love the Beatles so much, I must admit I might like this album the most simply because it's the longest. There are some bad tunes, but so much of this record is just gold.

4) Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider

This rounds out my top 4 albums, which haven’t changed since high school. Mark Linkous, the creative force behind Sparklehorse, sadly killed himself in 2010. It’s one of those albums that, when looking back, you could have seen it coming. There’s a latent melancholy in every cut, sometimes forceful but for most songs it’s so subtle. It’s Linkous’ dark intentions mingled with his shy sweetness that resonates in his voice and fills your headphones. In particular, Hundreds of Sparrows shows this dichotomy. The songs includes both sweet: “Every hair on your head is counted/You are worth hundreds of sparrows” and the bleak: “With kamikaze hummingbirds…/Afraid our eyes might become impaled/By their sharpened tiny beaks”. You have to hear it. The gloom is married with such lovely, bittersweet accompaniment.

3) The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I

This album is so energetic. I'd say it was a genre-defining album, but no album I've ever heard since has gotten the same sound as they had in this record. The songs are sophisticated, both lyrically and by their composition. If you like polyrhythms, strange chords, and harmonies that sound so dissonant but just right, this album is for you. The bass playing by Eric Axelson on this album is also sublime. It features some tight anthemic, near spoken word jams about the end of the world, invitations to parties, and breaking up with a girl (the phenomenal track Back and Forth - check it out).

2) The Dismemberment Plan - Change

If The Dismemberment Plan will be remembered for one thing, it will their refusal to commit to a definable style. Change has them doing just that, a total 180 from the frenetic blitzkrieg of Emergency & I and submitting a more focused, sparse record. Like any of my favorite albums, I love every track on it, each serving a purpose. Not only is every new song on the album a stark contrast to the one before it, within each song the chord changes are unpredictably pleasant. However, Change is woven together by Travis Morrison’s alkaline (to borrow from his own lyrics “The alkaline lips”) guitar playing and cool vocals. Furthermore, it’s the most lyrically impressive record on this list; to quote a Pitchfork review by William Morris, “The album's lyric book reads better than half the modern volumes on my bookshelf”.

1) The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

Aside from Beatles records, the first great album I heard. I remember listening to it a million times in a row on the car rides from Raleigh to Charleston. This album is my favorite for so many reasons: the orchestral swell emboldening its indy rock song structures, Wayne Coyne’s scratchy croon, the strange-but-perfect lyrics, and the best drumming production I’ve ever heard. This is so phenomenal its 10-15 b-sides would rank in my top 100 as well had they been released as an album. It houses "What Is the Light", which is my favorite song.

Discipline Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Novacane
My Hero

I should have also included this:

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:40 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Honorable Mention - Billy Joel - The Stranger, Dr Dre - The Chronic, A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory, Radiohead - OK Computer, Metallica - Master of Puppets, Peter Gabriel - So, Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill, Pantera - Cowboys from Hell, System of a Down - Toxicity, The White Stripes - Elephant

5. Eagles - Hotel California
4. Jeff Buckley - Grace
3. GnR - Appetite for Destruction
2. Neil Young - Harvest
1. Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legend

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
Honorable Mention - Billy Joel - The Stranger, Dr Dre - The Chronic, A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory, Radiohead - OK Computer, Metallica - Master of Puppets, Peter Gabriel - So, Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill, Pantera - Cowboys from Hell, System of a Down - Toxicity, The White Stripes - Elephant

5. Eagles - Hotel California
4. Jeff Buckley - Grace
3. GnR - Appetite for Destruction
2. Neil Young - Harvest
1. Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legend
Damn, two I forgot, but not sure how to fit them in without taking some off. They are definitely up there though. Again, depends on the mood I'm in.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Honorable Mention – Beastie Boys – Paul’s Boutique, Bruce Willis – The Return Of Bruno, Cameo – Single Life, Ice Cube – AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, N.W.A. – Straight Outta Compton, The Pharcyde – Bizarre Ride II, Slick Rick – The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick, A Tribe Called Quest – People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm

5. Eric B. & Rakim – Paid In Full
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Blood Sugar Sex Magik
3. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising
2. Daryl Hall & John Oates – Private Eyes

1. Digital Underground – Sons Of The P

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:15 PM
wallym

1) Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
3) Pink Floyd - The Wall
2) Beatles - Sergeant Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band
4) Michael Jackson - Thriller
5) Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell

HM's - GnR - Appetite, No Doubt -Tragic Kingdom

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:24 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:36 PM
TheBigKahuna

This is a tough question. It would be very hard to pick a top 5. I'd feel like I'm cheating myself.

Here's a shot at it in NO particular order.

This one probably wouldn't have made my top 5, but I've been listening to it a lot since it came out recently, and it's simply great!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:09 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
Honorable Mention – Beastie Boys – Paul’s Boutique, Bruce Willis – The Return Of Bruno, Cameo – Single Life, Ice Cube – AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, N.W.A. – Straight Outta Compton, The Pharcyde – Bizarre Ride II, Slick Rick – The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick, A Tribe Called Quest – People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm

5. Eric B. & Rakim – Paid In Full
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Blood Sugar Sex Magik
3. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising
2. Daryl Hall & John Oates – Private Eyes

1. Digital Underground – Sons Of The P
Love those 5!

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Top 5 Movies

The Top 5 Album thread got me thinking about top 5 movies. Was wondering what everyone's top 5 is. Caveat is I don't get to see many movies any longer due to a busy schedule so my top 5 is kind of dated, but please list yours.

Here's mine:

#5: Big Trouble in Little China
#4: Joe Dirt
#3: My Cousin Vinny
#2: Die Hard (the original)
#1: Memphis Belle

HM: Princess Bride. Blazing Saddles, Lord of the Rings (all 3); just about any James Bond..especially the Sean Connery ones, Boondock Saints, Just about any Harry Potter (yes, I know it's for kids), Apollo 13, Miracle.

Last edited by Boom Boom Anton: 05-28-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old
05-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

5 - Big Trouble in Little China
4 - Humanoids From the Deep
3 - Ernest Scared Stupid
2 - Predator 2
1 - Aliens

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Hmm...my list is based on movies that I actually have seen (I'm not much of a movie person), and a few of these are more recent because I haven't seen some of the movies that people consider classics. But here goes:

5. Fight Club
4. Pulp Fiction
3. American History X
2. Inception
1. The Dark Knight

Head Goose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

5: Miracle

Gotta put a hockey movie up there, and this narrowly beats out Slapshot. Both movies highlight different awesome parts of hockey, but Miracle inspires you and make you feel good for the rest of the day, and Slapshot makes you want to rub your mouth out with soap for repeating all the awesome lines .

4: Hot Rod

If you haven't seen this movie yet, go ****ing see it. Then buy some new underwear because you just **** yourself from laughing so hard.

3: Princess Diaries

Totally my "guilty pleasure" movie. Everyone gets one. This movie is seriously incredible, many memorable lines, many funny moments, and the lead singer from Rooney is in it . Plus Anne Hathaway's a fox.

2: Toy Story

Definitely up here for nostalgic reasons, but still an unbelievable movie (and revolutionary one at that). First movie I ever saw in theaters, but still doesn't get old. Funny, heartfelt, awesome. Pixar kept trying and while they put forth some good efforts they could never beat their first...

1: Princess Bride

Unfortunate that two of my top five have the word "Princess" in the title, but such is life. Star studded cast, unbelievable writing, something about it just "works." Tough to describe, but if you've seen it you just know. I hate to use the word "timeless," because it's overused as hell, but sure, it's "timeless." Plus, Mark Knopfler did the music, which is badass.

Honorable mention: Star Wars IV, V, and VI

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post

1: Princess Bride

Unfortunate that two of my top five have the word "Princess" in the title, but such is life. Star studded cast, unbelievable writing, something about it just "works." Tough to describe, but if you've seen it you just know. I hate to use the word "timeless," because it's overused as hell, but sure, it's "timeless." Plus, Mark Knopfler did the music, which is badass.

Honorable mention: Star Wars IV, V, and VI
Damn. Forgot Pricess Bride. One of my ATFs. I can't honestly replace one of my top 5s with it, but it is worthy. Great flick.

I've actually quoted it on HF boards before. "Inconceivable!. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

Old
05-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Damn, I forgot Blazing Saddles as well. Listing only 5 is a lot tougher than I thought.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Dude these top 5 lists are virtually impossible, because you know you're gonna leave someone off that you love. All you gotta realize is that just because it's not on your list doesn't mean you don't love it all the same!

Leaving Willy Wonka off was tough, leaving The Dark Knight off was tough, but hey, you gotta do it.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Dude these top 5 lists are virtually impossible, because you know you're gonna leave someone off that you love. All you gotta realize is that just because it's not on your list doesn't mean you don't love it all the same!

Leaving Willy Wonka off was tough, leaving The Dark Knight off was tough, but hey, you gotta do it.
Quick, let's make a Top 5 Favorite Songs thread. Let's see the struggles in there.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
True. I still wouldn't change my top 5. But Princess Bride and Blazing Saddled are a very close 6 and 7.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
Quick, let's make a Top 5 Favorite Songs thread. Let's see the struggles in there.
Do it!!!

Old
05-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Top 5 Favorite Songs

Dubinchuk pressured me into this, please don't hate me.

I'll settle on this for now, but expect this to change tomorrow:

5. Cemetery -- Silverchair

4. Letter From A Thief -- Chevelle

3. All My Life -- Foo Fighters

2. Perfect -- Smashing Pumpkins

1. Under the Bridge -- Red Hot Chili Peppers

HM:

Remember Everthing -- Five Finger Death Punch
Bittersweet Symphony -- The Verve

Last edited by Head Goose: 05-28-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old
05-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Do it!!!
Go ahead, start your list.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:12 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I like these lists.

5. Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King

4. Back to the Future - Part 1

3. Rear Window

2. The Fighter

1. 12 Angry Men

Honorable Mentions:
Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back
The Dark Knight
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Maybe a top five favorite television shows list next?

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
I like these lists.

5. Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King

4. Back to the Future - Part 1

3. Rear Window

2. The Fighter

1. 12 Angry Men

Honorable Mentions:
Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back
The Dark Knight
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Maybe a top five favorite television shows list next?
Go ahead and make one...but I've got a new topic already for you...

Old
05-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

This is such a temporary list, songs really have to do with what mood you're in and what you wanna listen to. That being said I'll try:

5: You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon - Graceland
4: Pensacola - Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math
3: Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits - Money for Nothing among others
2: The Battle of Hampton Roads - Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
1: Cattle and the Creeping Things - The Hold Steady - Separation Sunday

But obviously there are hundreds of other songs that could garner consideration. That's a VERY tentative top 5.