HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

OK Flyers fans, who you rooting for?

View Poll Results: As a Flyers fan, who are you rooting for in the SCF?
Kings 96 70.59%
Devils 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-28-2012, 01:05 PM
psuflyer

vCash: 500
I have a Richards and Williams jersey, that's right a Williams jersey. They are probably two of my favorite Flyers of all time and I also really like Gagne and would love if he could make it back to play in the finals.

I also absolutely hate the Devils, not as much as when they dominated us in years past but still a pretty strong hate.

That being said it's not an easy decision for me to decide who I'd rather win. I really want all these ex flyers to be successful, but watching them all celebrate together and skate around with cup on another team would be like ripping out my heart.

All in all I think I will still root for them but there will be many mixed emotions while its happening(Not sure if I'll be able to bring myself to watch it consistently) and it'll be bittersweet if they end up winning.

psuflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Perro

Kings fan here, came over to your board to see what your thoughts were of the Flyers WEst/ Oilers South Kings team.
Look fairly split. I am a little surprised by all the Carter hate. Yes te guy always seems to have more to give then he does, but he definately did not want to leave Philly so that should be worth a point or two to the Philly fans shouldn't it?
Anyway I cannot see the results of the poll without voting, but do not want to vote as I don't want to skew the results. can someone tell me what the poll is sitting at?

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:26 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Kings. As annoying as it would be to see Richards and Carter get one for another team before the Flyers win one, it would be more annoying to listen to Devils fans talk about how great they are. Plus Gagne and Hextall with their names on the Cup could never be a bad thing.
As an NHL fan you have to respect greatness and as much as i hated losing to the devils 3 outta the 5 playoff series we played them i have to respect brodeur especially at this stage. He is the greatest goalie to ever play the game. (at least tied with Roy). To watch him win his 4th cup and possibly the conn smythe a trophy he's never won would be more satisfying to me then watching carter and richards, who were just in a situation 2 years ago with us to win the cup and couldn't, stand there all happy and content with something that will forever define them and us for the rest of their careers. F that! I am a FLYERS fan not a richards and carter fan. their era is over. win when your here not after you leave.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:31 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Kings fan here, came over to your board to see what your thoughts were of the Flyers WEst/ Oilers South Kings team.
Look fairly split. I am a little surprised by all the Carter hate. Yes te guy always seems to have more to give then he does, but he definately did not want to leave Philly so that should be worth a point or two to the Philly fans shouldn't it?
Anyway I cannot see the results of the poll without voting, but do not want to vote as I don't want to skew the results. can someone tell me what the poll is sitting at?
No points for nothin. we made moves cause we made it too the finals and lost and then a year later carter and richards looked like crap in a second round loss. people act like richards was our heart and soul. where was all that heart and soul during that second round sweep last year. We made some insane moves that netted us some great players. we are evolving more into the team we need to be to dominate this league for a few years. There are just some of us that are impatient and bitter and love this team and have invested too much emotionally into a stupid hockey team to be happy for anybody else to win. I love the NHL but i love the Flyers more. Pro sports are a soap opera for men and regardless of how many cups we've won since i was born (0) the Flyers are the best story and headline grabbing team in the league. I'm insanely loyal based on entertainment value alone.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:33 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
As of right now, it's 66 for the Kings against 30 for the Devils.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Flyrs21

My dislike of #77 of the Kings is greater than my dislike of the Devils.

Rather have Marty lift the cup than him.

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
As of right now, it's 66 for the Kings against 30 for the Devils.
thank you

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:05 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post
My dislike of #77 of the Kings is greater than my dislike of the Devils.

Rather have Marty lift the cup than him.
Why?

Because he came back from injury and whiffed on some shots in the playoffs?
Because he wasn't the most personable athlete in Philadelphia history?
Because he was apparently falsely accused of sleeping with a teammates wife?
Because he was upset when separated from the organization he wanted to be a part of for his entire career?
Because he was depressed after being lied to?
Because he and his friend signed contracts to stay and were forcibly separated?
Because he played strong two-way hockey despite being a streaky scorer?

There's so many worse Philadelphia athletes. Take out your anger on DeSean Jackson or any number of jackasses we have floating around. Why be that mad at someone who flat out did nothing to deserve it except miss a shot in the Stanley Cup Finals?

Fact. Brodeur took away far more Cups from Philadelphia than Carter ever did or ever will.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:33 PM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

The Carter hate on this board is baffling.

He never was one of my favourite Flyers, but he played a big role for the Flyers the past few seasons. Sure, he had his faults. I get people who complain about him weaseling out of Columbus, but to be fair, he never signed up for 11 seasons in non-hockey country.

I don't want to see his name on the cup either, and I dislike him to a certain degree.

But the other option is the Devils. The ****ing Devils! With Marty ****ing Brodeur in net! I have a ton of respect for the Devils, but also 10 tons of hate!

People who couldn't stomach the emotional roller coaster of seeing Richie, Carter and Gagne win the cup with another team I get, but to root for the Devils solely because you hate Carter is unfathomable.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:14 PM
n62

Ah just for old times' sake:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...ability-index/

n62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:33 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
If you want the devils to win you are subhuman
The only reason any Flyers fan would "root" for Jeff carter and Mike Richards to win the stanley cup with the Los Angeles Kings is if they are too young to have "suffered" enough to be at the level were its actually legitimate in this particular situation to root for the devils. The older fans get it the younger fans......"like" jeff carter and mike richards....which is a little.....funghoul

Old
05-28-2012, 08:10 PM
flyerfanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by n62 View Post
my favorite: "* Jeff Carter has repeatedly been photographed in Ed Hardy shirts."

Gotta mean something right?

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:30 PM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
The only reason any Flyers fan would "root" for Jeff carter and Mike Richards to win the stanley cup with the Los Angeles Kings is if they are too young to have "suffered" enough to be at the level were its actually legitimate in this particular situation to root for the devils. The older fans get it the younger fans......"like" jeff carter and mike richards....which is a little.....funghoul
I think you have this backward.

Only young flyers fans could be unaware of the huge rivalry between the flyers and devils. Just because the pens are our new rivals doesn't make me forget how much I hate the devils.

I can't believe I'm reading people wanting the devils to win.

If the pens were there instead of the devils, would you all want them to win too?

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:18 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
I think you have this backward.

Only young flyers fans could be unaware of the huge rivalry between the flyers and devils. Just because the pens are our new rivals doesn't make me forget how much I hate the devils.

I can't believe I'm reading people wanting the devils to win.

If the pens were there instead of the devils, would you all want them to win too?
Oh i don't have it backward. what emotional ties do the devils from those days which were talking 1995 and 2000 have to now? brodeur? elias? not enough for me to give a ****. maybe if stevens and neidermayer and daneyko and pretty much those same teams were still around i might remotely care. but actually no i wouldn't. I've seen the devils win all those times. i'm used to it. The Kings have never won for them to win on what i would consider at least slightly on our ex players sucks. These guys were in first position here in philly and did not deliver. Why would i want them to win for another team? Thats just weird. the reason i bring "younger" fans into it is because you must still think life is ahead of you to be so joyful to root for explayers to win cups. when you suffer long enough, there is no joy left. you just want to win. i've come to the realization that at some point i could die and never see the flyers win the cup. That would suck so bad. I guarantee i will cry when we finally win. that's how much i want to just see it happen in reality. but your right its fine for our ex players to go and 5 seconds after they leave win the only thing i give a crap about in professional sports. your right. why aren't i happy? go devils. btw i'm down with anybody but the kings winning it. so yes the pens would've been fine.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:21 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
I'm 35 years old and cut my teeth on the Mike Keenan teams. The idea of Brodeur and the Devils winning YET ANOTHER cup is intolerable to me. The idea of guys like Hextall, Gagne, Richards, and yes, even Jeff Carter, winning their first cup puts a smile on my face. Mostly because of Hextall & Gagne, but still.

People rag on Jeff Carter for the same stupid reasons they booed Mike Schmidt. Because he does everything so effortlessly that it doesn't look like he's "trying". It's a damned illusion. Did he have the playoff performances I wanted him to? No, and I was perfectly willing to trade him. I wouldn't undo that trade for the world, but I don't get the word, "hate".

Richards is another issue entirely. I don't get how any Flyers fan dislikes Richards.

I don't buy the whole he was run out of town by the media nonsense (people grossly overstate the power of the Philly media, just think about it, both the fans & the organization show nothing but utter disdain for them) nor do I buy the whole he was traded for cap space to sign Bryz angle either. I think he probably had a little to much fun and maybe he needed to be sat down, but somebody overreacted and he was traded.

However, the guy was a ****ing warrior for us. He came as close to leading us to a Stanley Cup as we've been in more than 2 decades (yeah, I know, there were other guys who really stepped up for us, but he was the beating heart of that 2010 team). I don't really give a **** if he partied a little too hard. I'll pull hard for him to win as long as he's not suiting up against the Flyers.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:33 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

My sentiments are in line with Meltzer for the most part including his characterization of Carter and Richards.....

Frankly, I don't want either club to win and seeing both in the finals is a bitter pill to swallow. I just want the Flyers to win and I'll be damned if I'm going to be happy for ANYBODY on the Kings or Devils! Va FANGHOUL!

Quote:
I made no bones about the fact that I rooted for the New Jersey Devils over the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Final. That was primarily because I didn't want to see John Tortorella win anything. Now that the Rangers are done, I don't really have any rooting interest in the Stanley Cup Final.

With the exception of Simon Gagne -- who may or may not be cleared to play after a long concussion-related absence -- I'm pretty much indifferent to the on-ice personnel for the Kings who had past ties to the Flyers. I really hope Gagne is able to play.

It's been a long time since Justin Williams played in Philly. He always seemed like a real good guy and I like the way he plays the game. He's also dealt with a slew of injuries during his career. So I'd be happy for him if LA wins, but he's so far removed from his Flyers days that the connection feels strained beyond the fact there are so many other former Flyers employees associated with his club.

I'm still fine with the trades that sent away former captain Mike Richards and Jeff Carter last summer, and would not reverse them even if LA does win the Cup. Besides, if the Kings defeat the Devils, it will be their defense and goaltending that get them there.

Carter has been a non-factor in all but one playoff game this year (although he scored a hat trick in that one game). Richards has played well but has been more of a valuable supporting cast member than the one driving the bus for his club.

I wish no ill on either Richards or Carter but, by the same token, I'm not going to proclaim how happy I am that they're on a team playing for the Cup.

On the flip side, I will be legitimately happy for John Stevens and Ron Hextall if they get their names on the Stanley Cup.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...emons/45/44642

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:45 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I'm 35 years old and cut my teeth on the Mike Keenan teams. The idea of Brodeur and the Devils winning YET ANOTHER cup is intolerable to me. The idea of guys like Hextall, Gagne, Richards, and yes, even Jeff Carter, winning their first cup puts a smile on my face. Mostly because of Hextall & Gagne, but still.

People rag on Jeff Carter for the same stupid reasons they booed Mike Schmidt. Because he does everything so effortlessly that it doesn't look like he's "trying". It's a damned illusion. Did he have the playoff performances I wanted him to? No, and I was perfectly willing to trade him. I wouldn't undo that trade for the world, but I don't get the word, "hate".

Richards is another issue entirely. I don't get how any Flyers fan dislikes Richards.

I don't buy the whole he was run out of town by the media nonsense (people grossly overstate the power of the Philly media, just think about it, both the fans & the organization show nothing but utter disdain for them) nor do I buy the whole he was traded for cap space to sign Bryz angle either. I think he probably had a little to much fun and maybe he needed to be sat down, but somebody overreacted and he was traded.

However, the guy was a ****ing warrior for us. He came as close to leading us to a Stanley Cup as we've been in more than 2 decades (yeah, I know, there were other guys who really stepped up for us, but he was the beating heart of that 2010 team). I don't really give a **** if he partied a little too hard. I'll pull hard for him to win as long as he's not suiting up against the Flyers.
Was he? i missed the whole warrior thing. i just saw a decent two way guy who scored some short handed goals. I didn't see any leadership til Pronger got here. He was insanely overrated which is why we traded him. I like hextall and gagne too but they were also here and should've won HERE. I'm 36 and if you suffered through all those finals losses like i did you should be sick of losing. You should also be sick of overrated a holes conveniately getting traded or somehow winding up on cup winning teams after failing for us. Richards and Carter were overrated and they are just lucky to be there. Glad their gone. Glad we've got schenn, simmonds, couturier, voracek, and bryzgalov instead. like them better as players. Go devils.

Last edited by funghoul: 05-28-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old
05-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Jgboys1

vCash: 883
Da Kings!

Jgboys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Was he? i missed the whole warrior thing. i just saw a decent two way guy who scored some short handed goals. I didn't see any leadership til Pronger got here. He was insanely overrated which is why we traded him. I like hextall and gagne too but they were also here and should've won HERE. I'm 36 and if you suffered through all those finals losses like i did you should be sick of losing. You should also be sick of overrated a holes conveniately getting traded or somehow winding up on cup winning teams after failing for us. Richards and Carter were overrated and they are just lucky to be there. Glad their gone. Glad we've got schenn, simmonds, couturier, voracek, and bryzgalov. Go devils.
I hear ya bro.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
My sentiments are in line with Meltzer for the most part including his characterization of Carter and Richards.....

Frankly, I don't want either club to win and seeing both in the finals is a bitter pill to swallow. I just want the Flyers to win and I'll be damned if I'm going to be happy for ANYBODY on the Kings or Devils! Va FANGHOUL!
Depending on when that article was written, I'd bet it was inspired by this thread.

When I first posted (and checked just who had voted for which team), I was curious to see Meltzer had made an appearance with a vote for the Devils.

Now I have my explanation, however, I still don't approve. Not like my approval matters, I just feel, as a Flyers' fan, loyalty should not be with a rival who would not dare cheer for us regardless of who we played in the finals. It just feels wrong.

Even in the eyes of history, this would mean so much more to the Kings organization than the Devils. From a purely hockey perspective, I fault anyone cheering for the Devils.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Depending on when that article was written, I'd bet it was inspired by this thread.

When I first posted (and checked just who had voted for which team), I was curious to see Meltzer had made an appearance with a vote for the Devils.

Now I have my explanation, however, I still don't approve. Not like my approval matters, I just feel, as a Flyers' fan, loyalty should not be with a rival who would not dare cheer for us regardless of who we played in the finals. It just feels wrong.

Even in the eyes of history, this would mean so much more to the Kings organization than the Devils. From a purely hockey perspective, I fault anyone cheering for the Devils.
Nobody cares who you fault. your theories are just as stupid as everyone else's. its retarded ether way. go devils.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:28 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Was he? i missed the whole warrior thing. i just saw a decent two way guy who scored some short handed goals. I didn't see any leadership til Pronger got here. He was insanely overrated which is why we traded him.
Oh please. He was so much more than that. He was 5'11" 195lbs throwing his body around like he was 6'2" 230lbs. The turning point in the Boston comeback wasn't the Gagne OT goal, it was Richards destroying Krejci.

He scored a bunch of big goals.

He was an impact player in almost every playoff series he dressed for us, even when he had 2 bum shoulders.

Was he perfect? No, of course not. But he was definitely the beating heart of the team that's come closest to winning the Stanley Cup since I was 10 years old.

I just don't understand you guys.

Quote:
I like hextall and gagne too but they were also here and should've won HERE. I'm 36 and if you suffered through all those finals losses like i did you should be sick of losing. You should also be sick of overrated a holes conveniately getting traded or somehow winding up on cup winning teams after failing for us. Richards and Carter were overrated and they are just lucky to be there. Glad their gone. Glad we've got schenn, simmonds, couturier, voracek, and bryzgalov instead. like them better as players. Go devils.
I don't even understand what that **** is even supposed to mean. You are *****ing because they *should* have won here? Like they didn't really *want* to win or something?

If Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Voracek, and Bryzgalov all become overrated a holes who don't win here, then conveniently get traded and somehow wind up on cup winning teams, will you still like them better as players?

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:45 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Nobody cares who you fault. your theories are just as stupid as everyone else's. its retarded ether way. go devils.
lol The pot calling the kettle black.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:51 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Oh please. He was so much more than that. He was 5'11" 195lbs throwing his body around like he was 6'2" 230lbs. The turning point in the Boston comeback wasn't the Gagne OT goal, it was Richards destroying Krejci.

He scored a bunch of big goals.

He was an impact player in almost every playoff series he dressed for us, even when he had 2 bum shoulders.

Was he perfect? No, of course not. But he was definitely the beating heart of the team that's come closest to winning the Stanley Cup since I was 10 years old.

I just don't understand you guys.

I don't even understand what that **** is even supposed to mean. You are *****ing because they *should* have won here? Like they didn't really *want* to win or something?

If Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Voracek, and Bryzgalov all become overrated a holes who don't win here, then conveniently get traded and somehow wind up on cup winning teams, will you still like them better as players?
The boston series i complained about was the one in 2011. he sucked and we lost. as far as players wanting to win and not, come on. that's ridiculous. Im a Flyers fan not a bleeding heart. If any of the guys we got back in those trades don't win i'll throw them in the pile of other losers who didn't win a cup here. I'm not saying you can't root for richards. good for you. I'm glad you love richards and carter so much. sounds great. richards and carter.....jesus christ.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:52 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Got to question any "fans" loyalty when they would rather root for a heated conference rival, rather than root for an ex player.

Pretty nauseating that I am seeing a lot of NJ support.

Those people must have missed the 90's and early turn of the century.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote