HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion for all prospects including Adirondack Phantoms (AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2012, 12:38 PM
mirimon

vCash: 500
I had this to say in the thread about the Chaput-Sestito trade:

Quote:
I was a little bit intrigued by [Chaput], and even though I doubt he'll amount to more than Sestito already is... couldn't we have picked up someone similar to Sestito in the summer without giving away a prospect?
I still feel that way. Didn't expect to see that kind of offense out of Chaput though, even on the junior level.

Oh, and if Sestito wants to beat Read or Wellwood out of a place in the lineup, he'll really have to up his play significantly from what he's showed so far. Or the other two have some horrible sophomore slump.

Old
05-28-2012, 01:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Due to their difference in age. The guy who played in the NHL couldn't even crack Columbus' roster full time. Not exactly someone I'd go out of my way to acquire.
but, but he has, wait for it, wait for it

SIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats the most important thing around here according to some.

Old
05-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Get ready for a whole bunch more deals this offseason across the league to add size on the wings.

The Kings' and Devils' big wingers (and Boston's last year) will create a rush to get bigger - and the Flyers will surely get on board.

We probably needed to be bigger on the wings, and getting Sestito two deadlines ago was a recognition of that. This doesn't not make trading Chaput less regrettable, it is, but real GMs don't get do-overs.

Sestito will play a bigger role for the Flyers next year, and given the presence of smaller bodies like Briere and Talbot at forward, I expect some of our less entrenched smaller forward to get dealt or pushed down the depth chart so bigger guys can be acquired. Guys like Read, Wellwood, HarryZ will be vulnerable.
The bigger guys on the Kings and Devils can actually play hockey.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
The bigger guys on the Kings and Devils can actually play hockey.
exactly. size is overrated if they can only do one thing and that thing is mashing people into the 5th row. I dont have any issues with getting bigger. In fact I would like to get bigger down the middle, but I dont want to sacrifice skill.
trading Wellwood and Read to give someone like Sestito more playing time is dumb.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I had this to say in the thread about the Chaput-Sestito trade:

I still feel that way. Didn't expect to see that kind of offense out of Chaput though, even on the junior level.

Oh, and if Sestito wants to beat Read or Wellwood out of a place in the lineup, he'll really have to up his play significantly from what he's showed so far. Or the other two have some horrible sophomore slump.
It's not really Read and Wellwood he's competing with for a spot, it's Shelley, Rinaldo, and Zolnierczyk, and that's before we acquire players.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:14 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It's not really Read and Wellwood he's competing with for a spot, it's Shelley, Rinaldo, and Zolnierczyk, and that's before we acquire players.
I agree. It was in reference to Larry's post about Read and Wellwood either being dealt or being pushed down the depth chart in order to add some size to our wings.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:25 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'm no Sestito advocate, but he would beat out those three guys in my mind. Either way, none of them should stick with the big club unless as a healthy scratch/13th forward type.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Get ready for a whole bunch more deals this offseason across the league to add size on the wings.

The Kings' and Devils' big wingers (and Boston's last year) will create a rush to get bigger - and the Flyers will surely get on board.

We probably needed to be bigger on the wings, and getting Sestito two deadlines ago was a recognition of that. This doesn't not make trading Chaput less regrettable, it is, but real GMs don't get do-overs.

Sestito will play a bigger role for the Flyers next year, and given the presence of smaller bodies like Briere and Talbot at forward, I expect some of our less entrenched smaller forward to get dealt or pushed down the depth chart so bigger guys can be acquired. Guys like Read, Wellwood, HarryZ will be vulnerable.
Yeah, because those teams are winning because of their size. It has nothing to do with their skill and two way play. Let's dump our skill and load up players like Sestito, Shelley, and Mathers to see how many Cups we'll win.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
exactly. size is overrated if they can only do one thing and that thing is mashing people into the 5th row. I dont have any issues with getting bigger. In fact I would like to get bigger down the middle, but I dont want to sacrifice skill.
trading Wellwood and Read to give someone like Sestito more playing time is dumb.
I didn't mean trading them to make room for Sestito. He can play a bit too, but I think it's more likely that Homer will try to get bigger on the wings by adding someone like Pyatt, Penner, Prust i.e. big wingers who can play on the 3/4 lines. I haven't even looked at the list of potential UFAs, but there will be some guys, even big Cs like Gaustad, who are UFAs.

When you look at the lineup at present (and the positions can vary, I think Briere needs to end up on the wing with Schenn's line, Lavy hasn't don't that. We have some decent size there.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek - decent sized wingers and a small C.
JVR-Schenn-Briere- - two decent sized guys with smurf C/RW.
Talbot-Couturier-Simmonds - two decent sized guys and tough but small Max.
Rinaldo-Read-Wellwood - a smallish 4th line, so Tommy S. might draw in.

I don't think that Homer will go out and try to trade very valuable players like Read and Wellwood just to add size, but if he's doing a deal to get a D (if Suter and Carle aren't options) I can see that they would be first to go, over guys like Simmonds, JVR or Voracek who have more size and higher upside. I could see a prospect like Cousins, who is also small, getting added to package too, if they don't see a future for him.

We are locked into having small guys like Giroux and Briere in the top 6, and Max is a free safety not a linebacker. The young guys all have some physical maturing to do, so JVR, JV, Schenn, Couts and Simmonds will all be bigger naturally and as a result of weight work, next year.

If we could take the above lineup, add someone like Gaustad in place of Read at 4C and someone like Prust/King/Nolan etc at 4RW in place of Wellwood (unlikely b/c of the cap but you get the idea), do you think they would worry for one second about trading them, as long as they got value back in either players or picks?

Old
05-28-2012, 04:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
I didn't mean trading them to make room for Sestito. He can play a bit too, but I think it's more likely that Homer will try to get bigger on the wings by adding someone like Pyatt, Penner, Prust i.e. big wingers who can play on the 3/4 lines. I haven't even looked at the list of potential UFAs, but there will be some guys, even big Cs like Gaustad, who are UFAs.

When you look at the lineup at present (and the positions can vary, I think Briere needs to end up on the wing with Schenn's line, Lavy hasn't don't that. We have some decent size there.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek - decent sized wingers and a small C.
JVR-Schenn-Briere- - two decent sized guys with smurf C/RW.
Talbot-Couturier-Simmonds - two decent sized guys and tough but small Max.
Rinaldo-Read-Wellwood - a smallish 4th line, so Tommy S. might draw in.

I don't think that Homer will go out and try to trade very valuable players like Read and Wellwood just to add size, but if he's doing a deal to get a D (if Suter and Carle aren't options) I can see that they would be first to go, over guys like Simmonds, JVR or Voracek who have more size and higher upside. I could see a prospect like Cousins, who is also small, getting added to package too, if they don't see a future for him.

We are locked into having small guys like Giroux and Briere in the top 6, and Max is a free safety not a linebacker. The young guys all have some physical maturing to do, so JVR, JV, Schenn, Couts and Simmonds will all be bigger naturally and as a result of weight work, next year.

If we could take the above lineup, add someone like Gaustad in place of Read at 4C and someone like Prust/King/Nolan etc at 4RW in place of Wellwood (unlikely b/c of the cap but you get the idea), do you think they would worry for one second about trading them, as long as they got value back in either players or picks?
Sestito right now is a guy who you can plug into the 4th line every now and then. I cant see him being good enough offensively to be anything more then that.
I think the Flyers will be looking to add size this offseason. Both up front and on defense. I really dont have a feel what the Flyers are going to do. Do they feel kids like Couturier and Schenn are ready for a bigger role next season?
I dont have a problem with moving Briere to wing. It may be neccessary if Schenn and Couturier are ready for a bigger role.
I dont think Holmgren will worry about trading anyone if he can make the team better. Anyone can be traded.
I do think that fixing the defense will be a priotity before we look at improving the team up front.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Maybe it's just me, but size really ends up hurting in the end. If you take a look at career longevity, the bigger players usually end up with much shorter careers. The smaller players usually end up with longer careers. On top of it, the larger players seem to be sucking wind by the end of the play offs where as with smaller players, the longer it goes, the better it is for them simply because they carry less weight and seem to be conditioned better for endurance.

Now, that isn't to say that I don't understand the importance of having size in the lineup. Size is needed. However, you have to have skill to go along with the size and a guy like Sestito has shown very little in the skill department at the NHL level. Sestito needs to decide this summer if he's going to be a player or if he's content being a scrub and a scratch. It's entirely up to him.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:13 PM
tuckrr

We didnt trade for skill in acquiring tostito. We traded for a regular season bodyguard.
Id take him over rinaldo/shelly every day.

That said, read just got muscled out in the playoffs, and we need a big guy who can play too! I like joe colborne.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
We didnt trade for skill in acquiring tostito. We traded for a regular season bodyguard.
Id take him over rinaldo/shelly every day.

That said, read just got muscled out in the playoffs, and we need a big guy who can play too! I like joe colborne.
Joe Colborne is one 'big' player who I do NOT want.

If people complain about JvR not using his size, wait until you watch Colborne. One of the least driven young players I have seen.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:50 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Joe Colborne is one 'big' player who I do NOT want.

If people complain about JvR not using his size, wait until you watch Colborne. One of the least driven young players I have seen.
I think when someone complains next about JVR not being "driven" I'm going to ask that they kindly walk a mile with an oblique muscle tear, a busted knee, a broken foot, a concussion, and a hip impingement.

Then I'll have them imagine playing through even a portion of the hockey season with those injuries.

As far as Colborne is concerned, I completely agree. You want your big driven center? Look no further than Sean Couturier. He needs to do some offseason workouts with JVR to help him fill out. I can't wait to see him at 22.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I think when someone complains next about JVR not being "driven" I'm going to ask that they kindly walk a mile with an oblique muscle tear, a busted knee, a broken foot, a concussion, and a hip impingement.

Then I'll have them imagine playing through even a portion of the hockey season with those injuries.

As far as Colborne is concerned, I completely agree. You want your big driven center? Look no further than Sean Couturier. He needs to do some offseason workouts with JVR to help him fill out. I can't wait to see him at 22.
Well JVR has only shown the ability to drive maybe 6 games out of 3 season so far. Until he starts to do it more, he doesnt currently do it.

Old
05-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

[QUOTE=Chris Shafer;50261003]I think when someone complains next about JVR not being "driven" I'm going to ask that they kindly walk a mile with an oblique muscle tear, a busted knee, a broken foot, a concussion, and a hip impingement.

As far as Colborne is concerned, I completely agree. You want your big driven center? Look no further than Sean Couturier. He needs to do some offseason workouts with JVR to help him fill out. I can't wait to see him at 22.[/QUOTE/]

Chris,
I guess he had those injuries in collage to. That would exsplain his disappearance during games there. Look I want the young man to step up and be the force we need him to be because this team needs more strength on our 3rd and 4th lines along the wall. NJ beat us down as they did to the rags. I only move JVR if we better our club but if he stays I am fine with that also, but the clock is ticking and he needs to get his ass in gear. But if a team gives us a offer for him that will better us now. I pull the trigger and wish him the best.

As far as Sean goes. I to cannot wait until he adds the much needed strength he needs to his frame. He has the right mindset and with the added strength I hope he gets some more PP time. The same with Schenn. He to needs to add some strength to his upper torso.The kid has the inner drive and will play through injuries.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:48 PM
daynus

dont forget

in a few years, the big german, marcel noebels, will be ready for the nhl. skating- good enough, size- 6-2,210. hitting, he is good at it. offense, he has some, pretty good hands for a big boy. plays like he wants to get out their and hit.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
in a few years, the big german, marcel noebels, will be ready for the nhl. skating- good enough, size- 6-2,210. hitting, he is good at it. offense, he has some, pretty good hands for a big boy. plays like he wants to get out their and hit.
We've said that about tons of powerforward prospects over the years.

Only JVR has become an NHL-level forward in that span of time.

Not trying to be negative here, but I want Noebels to compete in the AHL before I make a good decision on his NHL future.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:54 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Ah crap your right. I remember you talking about that earlier if my memory serves me right. Sorry about that.

I still like his raw talent. Just hope he improves from that bad year.

When I wrote it I was thinking he should already be in school to since he was 19 going on 20 this year. I thought maybe it had something to do with him coming over from the Czech though.
I noticed he had been sat for a bunch of games, and I looked at the other Freshman on the team and it seems like he wasn't the only one that was sat quite a bit, so though it isn't a great sign that he was sat it also isn't a terrible one either.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:23 PM
daynus

you bet chris

ahl first for big marcel. i just loved what he brought to portland. who was a nice hitting team, he and peters were throwing out hits like mad. winning game 6 in portland,. the thing holding portland back was secendory scoring. . traveling to edmonton for game 7, the following nite. portland to edmonton and scheduling a game in 24 hrs, is insanity at its finest.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:58 PM
DeflatedFootball7

No contracts for Ranford or Blidstrand. Not surprising.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:41 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I'm curious where Ranford will end up. Unlike some prospects who disappear when they aren't signed I'm sure someone will fire a AHL deal at him. I would think he could still be successful at that level at least. Then again Pither was a scoring machine in junior and can't hold a AHL spot.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:43 PM
RMFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I'm curious where Ranford will end up. Unlike some prospects who disappear when they aren't signed I'm sure someone will fire a AHL deal at him. I would think he could still be successful at that level at least. Then again Pither was a scoring machine in junior and can't hold a AHL spot.
Maybe with the coaching change in Glens Falls, Pither will get a chance.
Under Paterson, Pither was often a healthy scratch, and was never given a chance to build chemistry with line mates. When he played it was on the third or fourth line.

On the radio pregame show when asked why Pither was sent to down to the ECHL, Paterson called Pither a "power specialist", and that he was sent down to get extra work. However, Paterson never played Pither, the power play specialist, on the power play during the whole season

Old
06-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFlyers View Post
Maybe with the coaching change in Glens Falls, Pither will get a chance.
Under Paterson, Pither was often a healthy scratch, and was never given a chance to build chemistry with line mates. When he played it was on the third or fourth line.

On the radio pregame show when asked why Pither was sent to down to the ECHL, Paterson called Pither a "power specialist", and that he was sent down to get extra work. However, Paterson never played Pither, the power play specialist, on the power play during the whole season
"Power play specialist" is a polite way of saying he is a liability on the ice.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:43 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Pither is horrible. No future here.

Closed Thread