HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cage wearers PSA

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2012, 04:36 PM
  #51
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Why do you insist that I'm crying? All I am saying is that the person who gets high sticked is not at fault, something that the Kage Wearers Krew brosquad seems intent on disputing.
It's not your fault you got hit with a high stick, it is your fault that it did extra damage. Safety gear exists for a reason. When you choose not to wear it you waive all rights to complain.

Would you feel sympathy for a goalie who got hit in the throat after he refuses to wear some kind of neck protection?

FANonymous is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 04:37 PM
  #52
Wooty
Registered User
 
Wooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Harbor City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Why do you insist that I'm crying? All I am saying is that the person who gets high sticked is not at fault, something that the Kage Wearers Krew brosquad seems intent on disputing.

Everyone understands your point, they are suggesting you use a cage for your safety. Or don't and blame others through missing teeth. You can keep blaming the other guy for his mistake while you sit in the emergency room or the dentist chair.

No matter how many times you blame the other player it is still you needing medical help.

Wooty is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 04:37 PM
  #53
hockeymass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
It's not your fault you got hit with a high stick, it is your fault that it did extra damage. Safety gear exists for a reason. When you choose not to wear it you waive all rights to complain.

Would you feel sympathy for a goalie who got hit in the throat after he refuses to wear some kind of neck protection?
Is it against the rules to shoot a puck at the net? If I get hit with an errant puck or someone's stick gets knocked up into my face, that's life. If some idiot is waving his stick around because he doesn't know what he's doing, that's different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
Everyone understands your point, they are suggesting you use a cage for your safety. Or don't and blame others through missing teeth. You can keep blaming the other guy for his mistake while you sit in the emergency room or the dentist chair.

No matter how many times you blame the other player it is still you needing medical help.
Obviously I understand that. It does not absolve the other player of fault for not being able to control his stick.

hockeymass is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 04:39 PM
  #54
Wooty
Registered User
 
Wooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Harbor City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
When you choose not to wear it you waive all rights to complain.
This is not true. It is as black/white as the other side.

Wooty is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 04:39 PM
  #55
TJD
Registered User
 
TJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Is it against the rules to shoot a puck at the net?
Everyone gets your point.

Unfortunately, the world isn't perfect.

So keep wearing the visor and take the risks that come with it, or don't.

When you lose teeth or get hit in the mouth, don't look for sympathy as **** happens.

TJD is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 04:41 PM
  #56
TJD
Registered User
 
TJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Is it against the rules to shoot a puck at the net? If I get hit with an errant puck or someone's stick gets knocked up into my face, that's life. If some idiot is waving his stick around because he doesn't know what he's doing, that's different.



Obviously I understand that. It does not absolve the other player of fault for not being able to control his stick.
Move up a level.
Say something to the refs/other teams captain.
Put on a cage.
Play chess.

All of thee above are viable options.

TJD is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 04:57 PM
  #57
Wooty
Registered User
 
Wooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Harbor City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
It does not absolve the other player of fault for not being able to control his stick.
Assigning blame doesn't actually solve anything.

Wooty is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 05:21 PM
  #58
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Exactly nothing. Keep your stick down, don't expect everyone to wear a cage.

You don't get it. Good luck on controlling what the hundreds of people you play with and against do with their sticks 100% of the time.

I wouldn't need a seat belt, air bags, or abs brakes either if nobody made mistakes.

Guffaw is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 05:28 PM
  #59
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
"If you do not wear a cage you are bad and dumb and responsible for the collapse of society, you reckless shmuck. Shame on you."

.
I wouldn't go that far. More like
"If you choose to play without facial protection, don't whine about getting hit in the face"

You took the risk. Deal with the consequences.

Guffaw is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 05:35 PM
  #60
Wooty
Registered User
 
Wooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Harbor City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
It is also possible to die in a car when there is no accident with another person or car. What if your steering goes out? You wear a seat belt to eliminate the risk no matter what happens

What happens while playing hockey that you stumble into the boards face first and lose teeth, break you nose/jaw etc. You wear a cage to eliminate the risk no matter what happens.

BTW, when I did play, I only wore a visor - my choice and sometimes I didn't wear any face shield

Wooty is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 05:47 PM
  #61
neksys
Registered User
 
neksys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 500
This is an absurd position to take.

It is logically no different than me saying that you non-cage wearers are impairing my free choice to put my stick wherever I want to.

You have a choice to wear a cage or not. You also know before setting foot on the ice that sticks come up for all sorts of reasons - sometimes its an irresponsible player, sometimes its a legitimate hockey accident. If you get hit in the face, that is the consequence of that choice.

You don't get the benefit of wearing a visor AND the ability to complain when you get hurt.

neksys is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 06:06 PM
  #62
Rumcajs
Registered User
 
Rumcajs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,165
vCash: 500
I wear one for two reasons.

The first i try to play like Anton Volchenkov and block anything that comes near the net.

Second. I was in the corner when the guy in front of me fell forward. His leg flew up like Sean Michaels. For some reason i reacted by moving my chin down which in turn blocked a possible neck slice because of my cage.

Rumcajs is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 07:30 PM
  #63
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger View Post
I hate you.. Learn to keep your sticks down and play responsibly... This has been a Public Service Announcement.
The worst part is that if you do wear a cage and someone gets his stick up and you take offense, more times than not the perpetrator just shrugs it off because you can't get hurt wearing a cage so its not important for players to keep their sticks down.

sandysan is online now  
Old
05-28-2012, 08:19 PM
  #64
Primrose Everdeen
Blank Space
 
Primrose Everdeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 63,527
vCash: 564
When I skated out I started at 16 and my parents made me wear a cage (it was optional in one of my leagues and mandatory in the other). Once I turned 18, I switched to only a visor for a bit. Had a few close calls, one of which was taking a stick to the visor, and that convinced me to switch back to a cage. A game shortly thereafter, I dove to block a shot and it struck me clean in the mask. Had I been wearing a visor or nothing at all, I'd have probably lost at least half a dozen teeth.

I play goalie now so it's kind of irrelevant, but if I ever skated out again I'd wear a full cage again. After my experiences trying to go without one for a bit, people being reckless with high sticks is bothersome, yes, but would be pretty low on the list of my concerns.

Primrose Everdeen is online now  
Old
05-28-2012, 08:56 PM
  #65
AndreD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Cages are optional for us, I wear one, probably a little over half our team use them, less in training session. A few weeks ago during training a guy go hit in the eye by the stick on the follow-through whilst chasing down a breakaway (he was reaching forwards so his head was pretty low). An incident like that is nobody's fault, it happens in the game we play.

Luckily the damage was only superficial a fair bit of blood but nothing else but if he'd been wearing the cage he would have been uninjured. Nobody complained about it, tried to blame anyone, there is no point. It was his choice to play without it and that's just what happens - half the team still choose not to wear cages.

Edit: Also see Taylor Hall for how to be injured without it being anyone's fault. Again I have no problem with people choosing not to wear a cage - but then you've got to be prepared to accept the consequences however they occur

AndreD is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 10:01 PM
  #66
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
If anyone chirps me about my cage, I chirp at them about their "teeth".

I play occasionally for fun, as most of my town league-thing does, but some guys are just dicks. Most of us wear cages, so you don't get it often, but it's pretty funny. I'm hit up high almost every game. It's not worth the money of dental repair or being blind.
I usually tell the guy to take his mouth guard out because I can't understand what he's saying through all the slobber.

OpenIceHit42 is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 11:47 PM
  #67
BigDuke6
Registered User
 
BigDuke6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Inside
Country: United States
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger View Post
I hate you.. Learn to keep your sticks down and play responsibly... This has been a Public Service Announcement.
Where in the world is this amazing rink that only cage wearers can't keep their sticks down?

BigDuke6 is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 12:19 AM
  #68
Primrose Everdeen
Blank Space
 
Primrose Everdeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 63,527
vCash: 564
On another random thought, cage-wearer or no, isn't keeping your stick on the ice as much as possible just good, fundamentally-strong hockey?

Primrose Everdeen is online now  
Old
05-29-2012, 02:03 AM
  #69
CunniJA
Registered User
 
CunniJA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Estes Park, Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Reminds me of a guy in New York at a rally that was protesting motorcycle helmet laws. During the rally, he takes a fall, damage to the head, and dies.

Darwin Award Winner

CunniJA is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 02:03 AM
  #70
Wooty
Registered User
 
Wooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Harbor City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
Reminds me of a guy in New York at a rally that was protesting motorcycle helmet laws. During the rally, he takes a fall, damage to the head, and dies.

Darwin Award Winner
You had me at "guy in New York" that alone is reason to wear a cage.

Wooty is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 06:35 AM
  #71
AWSAA
Registered User
 
AWSAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 1700
I have never seen a guy over 20 years old wear a full cage where I play. It's only teenagers and those guys are usually the most reckless with their sticks.

AWSAA is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 08:42 AM
  #72
hockeymass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
This is an absurd position to take.

It is logically no different than me saying that you non-cage wearers are impairing my free choice to put my stick wherever I want to.

You have a choice to wear a cage or not. You also know before setting foot on the ice that sticks come up for all sorts of reasons - sometimes its an irresponsible player, sometimes its a legitimate hockey accident. If you get hit in the face, that is the consequence of that choice.

You don't get the benefit of wearing a visor AND the ability to complain when you get hurt.
No, because wearing a cage is not mandated by the rules, and putting your stick wherever you want is against the rules. So it is logically very different.

hockeymass is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 08:43 AM
  #73
hockeymass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
I wouldn't go that far. More like
"If you choose to play without facial protection, don't whine about getting hit in the face"

You took the risk. Deal with the consequences.
So if you're going through an intersection and someone runs the light going a buck twenty and t-bones you into oblivion, but you weren't wearing your seatbelt, you just suck it up? Or say you're riding your bike and a car swerves into you and sends you to the hospital, do you just deal with it because you weren't wearing a helmet? Sounds logical.

hockeymass is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 08:53 AM
  #74
650X2
Registered User
 
650X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
I find it funny you were dumb enough to not wear a cage once and get your teeth knocked out and now you are complaining when you got hit again.

If you are bad enough to be in a league were cages are worn there is no reason you shouldn't be wearing a cage. Seriously it takes all of 30 seconds to get used to the cage and you never notice it again.

650X2 is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 08:55 AM
  #75
MTaylorJ1
Registered User
 
MTaylorJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
So if you're going through an intersection and someone runs the light going a buck twenty and t-bones you into oblivion, but you weren't wearing your seatbelt, you just suck it up? Or say you're riding your bike and a car swerves into you and sends you to the hospital, do you just deal with it because you weren't wearing a helmet? Sounds logical.
Was there a thread warning drivers who wear seatbelts that they need to stop running lights at 120mph because some people choose not to wear seatbelts?

MTaylorJ1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.