HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
05-28-2012, 11:00 PM
MattB43

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
good stuff man! Just pace yourself if you're not completely comfortable, you'll get there soon. And it really doesn't hurt when you fall unless you go into the boards or fall ackwardly. Good luck!
Went to a drop-in session on sunday, was my third one I think?
I am definitely getting more comfortable quick, the biggest thing is I am getting a better idea of where to be, and how to anticipate what guys are going to do a little earlier.

I still got turned inside out a few times by one kid who is maybe 15-16 but he is GOOD. There were a couple college hockey players there and he was even making them look bad so I didn't feel too bad. I ran over one guy and bumped into one of my teammates once, but I still wasn't even the worst player out there.

Also I still haven't figured out how to stop, I think at this point I'm over-thinking it or something. I think I need to find some ice time and just practice nothing but stopping, the problem is at stick & puck sessions I get distracted and want to go shoot or something instead.

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:28 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I've now been playing for about 2 months. I did my first tournament this weekend and had a load of fun. A team from out of state needed a warm body, so I volunteered. I was really, really nervous about being the slowest/worst player on the team, but I was happy to see that it wasn't the case.

I wasn't amazing out on the ice, but I didn't do anything bad either. We played 4 games so they kind of blur together, but I did get the puck a few times, helped get it out of the zone a couple of times, had a SOG, got in the other team's way, etc.

I'm hoping to do another tournament or event in the future, it was so fun to play with the same group of people in an organized fashion. I've done D-league (and will start up again in about a month, after I get back from vacation) and it's nice to be with the same people each time, but even there it's not always predictable - sometimes we have only 2 lines, sometimes 3. I've also been doing drop-in women's league, which is totally unpredictable - I've played 2 on 2, 3 on 3, and also had a full 2 lines for 5 on 5 at those games. So while it's great for skill, it's not so great for learning positional play and line changes, etc.

We lost 3 of our 4 games, but it was pretty clear that some of the teams were not exactly in the right division. In the division up, there was a team that lost all of their games by a pretty high margin. And in our division, there were two teams that were just killing everyone else. Out of the 4 teams we played, we only had a chance against 2 of them. The others beat us 7-0 and 6-1, it was obvious that they were "serious" teams compared to us - they had actual coaches, fully matching uniforms, fans in the stands, etc. We were there more to have fun.

We were not happy with the team that beat us 2-1. The last 3 minutes or so of the game, they just kept icing the puck. Yeah, I get that you want to win. But we're all here to have fun, and 3 minutes of watching you ice the puck out of a 13 minute period just to keep your lead isn't exactly fun. If it were for the SC or something, I could understand. But in a silly regional tournament where everyone is paying to be there and have a good time?

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:34 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I'm looking to get my first pair of pants, but after trying (CCM 09's) them on, I'm literally stuck between two sizes (LG and XL). I do plan on losing some weight, but it probably won't be a ton. Any suggestions?
I'd go with the XL and wear suspenders. You can generally cinch them up pretty tight with the laces and belt, but it would be difficult to get a too-small size to fit right.

When I got my pants, my tummy was a little bigger than it is now since I've been getting on the ice regularly. The first pair I tried didn't fit right, I could tell that they were going to be uncomfortable on the belly. Technicially they fit, but the style of the pant didn't work. The shop guy suggested a different brand, which I tried - same size, just a different style of pant. They fit nicely and I haven't had any troubles with them. So it could be as easy as just trying different brands/styles until you find something that does work for you.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:35 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

I need some help learning how to stop boys. I started to learn it a few weeks ago but since then i focused more on edgework and crossovers so i essentially forgot everything i learned a few weeks ago. Any help would be great.

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:34 PM
MarkIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I need some help learning how to stop boys. I started to learn it a few weeks ago but since then i focused more on edgework and crossovers so i essentially forgot everything i learned a few weeks ago. Any help would be great.
The best advice I can give you is "stay on the balls of your feet". When you turn that skate outward, you'll need to get the vertical position correct so you don't dig in too hard with your inside edge, but not so much so you don't catch your outside edge. You can kinda get that feel by holding on the boards and scraping the ice. But when you go and actually try and stop, STAY on the balls of you feet. If you get to much weight on your heels, you'll fall over every time as a beginner.

Mark

MarkIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:24 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
Well its been a little while since I checked in here!
I've just spent the last couple of days in Belfast playing some puck against the NI Tridents and watching some field hockey (Pretty girls with Irish accents wearing short skirts= Heaven!).
Maccas~ That looks like a great time!! I bet you had a blast!

Quote:
I'm looking to get my first pair of pants, but after trying (CCM 09's) them on, I'm literally stuck between two sizes (LG and XL). I do plan on losing some weight, but it probably won't be a ton. Any suggestions?
I would err on the side of bigger, or at least go by the length - make sure they are going to overlap with your shins and not leave a gap.

Quote:
I always tell people instead of stopping, try to slide sideways without stopping. Because people tend to try and dig in too much when they are learning. But if your mindset is to slide rather than stop, then you might find that you're stopping anyway. Just something to try!

I've been dropping in to an adult clinic the past couple of fridays. The instructor has a lot of funky little skating drills that I've never done before, so it's been fun. Some as simple as dropping to alternating knees and getting back up. Sure, I've done that drill tons of times, but nobody has ever made me do it while skating backwards! You all should try that!

My summer league starts tonight with my new team. Can't wait!!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:29 PM
qmechanic

Quote:
Good to hear that you're working on your stop. But since we can't see you doing stops, can you explain what you're having trouble with? Having more specifics would make it easier to help.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:39 PM
ganave

Checking in. Unfortunately I had ingrown toenail surgery a few weeks ago which has kept me from anything sporty until last weekend.

Car also needed new tires and some maintenance. *waves bye to helmet money*

Sadly looking at another two weeks before I can get my goalie mask and stick

At least I have softball to entertain myself with until then.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Copeland

Ganave, sorry to hear that. It's really no fun waiting.

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
Been digging through storage bins (I haven't played in years) and have found almost everything I need to get back into the game! Now just waiting on my sister to send me back my skates and a few other items from Georgia. Should be here next week.

Hope I don't make a fool of myself out there and that I remember how to skate.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:57 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
not actually a noob, i've had 15 years of experience on ice, 4 years of aggressive inline, and few years of competitive roller hockey (indoor)

that being said, i joined my friends for a bit of roller hockey a while ago (haven't touched roller for like 10 years at least) and i'm having a hard time stopping... somehow i forgot how to stop on roller skates..

at first the wheels felt too sticky but i thought hey, i'll be playing on asphalt so what's
the big deal? then i flew on my first attempt to stop... absolutely embarrassing...

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:09 PM
qmechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
I've now been playing for about 2 months. I did my first tournament this weekend and had a load of fun. A team from out of state needed a warm body, so I volunteered. I was really, really nervous about being the slowest/worst player on the team, but I was happy to see that it wasn't the case.

I wasn't amazing out on the ice, but I didn't do anything bad either. We played 4 games so they kind of blur together, but I did get the puck a few times, helped get it out of the zone a couple of times, had a SOG, got in the other team's way, etc.
Glad to hear you "survived" your first tournament! Here's to many more in the future.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:55 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers* View Post
I don't recommend you playing D. It's not an "easier" position.
I'll second that, playing D properly is harder than playing forward (or winger at least) imo. I hate D, still feel somewhat lost when I do, much prefer forward and ideally center (where my lack of discipline in holding to my wing is not an issue)

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpressma View Post
Also a huge tip for my fellow beginners that I learned is to put waxed laces in your boots!! I kept having to re-tie my skates 2 or 3 times during a public sesh. Not only was I wasting ice time on the bench, but it was a pain in the ass having your boots become loose and unstable and not completely messing you up. The wax laces will not move an inch. Just a quick inexpensive fix to help make learning how to skate easier.
Yeah, wax laces are the bomb. I switched a few months back and will never go back - once you've had wax, you'll never go back!
The wax does wear away over time though and then you're left with regular laces basically so it does increase the cost a bit.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:20 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB43 View Post
Went to a drop-in session on sunday, was my third one I think?
I am definitely getting more comfortable quick, the biggest thing is I am getting a better idea of where to be, and how to anticipate what guys are going to do a little earlier.

I still got turned inside out a few times by one kid who is maybe 15-16 but he is GOOD. There were a couple college hockey players there and he was even making them look bad so I didn't feel too bad. I ran over one guy and bumped into one of my teammates once, but I still wasn't even the worst player out there.

Also I still haven't figured out how to stop, I think at this point I'm over-thinking it or something. I think I need to find some ice time and just practice nothing but stopping, the problem is at stick & puck sessions I get distracted and want to go shoot or something instead.
Good stuff! It's all about ice-time, skating and stickhandling are mostly muscle memory. The game knowledge and anticipation comes with playing (duh!). Especially early on, the more you play the faster you'll see improvements in your game. The challenge I'm finding is dealing with hitting plateaus. I still have plenty to work on but the improvements are more subtle and incremental than they were when I first started which is a bit frustrating at times. But then you'll see you can do something that you couldn't do before and it's pretty satisfying. Good luck!

Old
05-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Since it seems there are a lot more left hand shots, if you had a someone with a right hand shot, which wing would you prefer them on? Ive seen it both ways and just figure there had to be some pros and cons to each.

Trl3789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:32 AM
windycity

Quote:
Since it seems there are a lot more left hand shots, if you had a someone with a right hand shot, which wing would you prefer them on? Ive seen it both ways and just figure there had to be some pros and cons to each.
I shoot left but generally prefer right wing to left because it's easier for me to cut in from the right with speed and then have the full goal to shoot at. But it is easier for me to keep the puck in along the boards on the left. So I'd say it kinda depends on the role they're mostly playing - shooter vs forechecker. But ultimately what counts is where they feel most comfortable. That's my 2 cents

Old
05-31-2012, 11:42 AM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Yeah, wax laces are the bomb. I switched a few months back and will never go back - once you've had wax, you'll never go back!
The wax does wear away over time though and then you're left with regular laces basically so it does increase the cost a bit.
Thought I'd share a couple of things I learned about waxed laces out there.

1. The most commonly found brand in my area is "Elite Hockey" (EH). I've been buying these for my two kids for several years now. Since the girls love to switch up the color when getting new laces, we've tried white, black, yellow, red, green, and pink (there are more). What should be noted is that the some colors tend to have more wax than others to the point that the wax wears out after only 10 skates for some colors, and on others (green in particular), there is so much wax that untying and loosening the laces after a skate takes a huge effort. I've heard others say the same about the green laces as well. Whether it's related to the color or perhaps batches, there is a definite inconsistency.

2. If you can find Graf waxed laces, IMO they have the perfect amount of wax that lasts a long time. Had mine for three months on a black pair, and they're as good as new. The last pair of EH brand waxed black laces lost a lot of the wax about a month in, although the lace itself was still in good shape.

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayuelo View Post
Thought I'd share a couple of things I learned about waxed laces out there.

1. The most commonly found brand in my area is "Elite Hockey" (EH). I've been buying these for my two kids for several years now. Since the girls love to switch up the color when getting new laces, we've tried white, black, yellow, red, green, and pink (there are more). What should be noted is that the some colors tend to have more wax than others to the point that the wax wears out after only 10 skates for some colors, and on others (green in particular), there is so much wax that untying and loosening the laces after a skate takes a huge effort. I've heard others say the same about the green laces as well. Whether it's related to the color or perhaps batches, there is a definite inconsistency.

2. If you can find Graf waxed laces, IMO they have the perfect amount of wax that lasts a long time. Had mine for three months on a black pair, and they're as good as new. The last pair of EH brand waxed black laces lost a lot of the wax about a month in, although the lace itself was still in good shape.
Thanks that's great info. I've had Elite red and after 3 months (about 30 skates) they're starting to loosen. Not too bad though and they was no problem with too much wax to start with them. Will definitely check out Graf - had not heard of them.

BTW, which Elite lace colors apart from black did you find wore out of wax too soon? That's a bigger issue for me than too much wax.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:43 PM
qmechanic

My favorite are the Bauer waxed laces. You can get them at Hockey Giant. I tried a few other brands but I liked Bauer the best. Just the right amount of wax.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:48 PM
qmechanic

Quote:
In the NHL, it seems like people usually play the dominant wing (e.g. left hand shot plays left wing). I'm a lefty and when I play wing, I take the left wing, partially because where I play, there are far more right shots.

When you play the dominant wing, it's easier to get the puck off the boards. The biggest advantage is that the center passes to your forehand.

For off-wing, the big advantage is taking one-timers. When you play off-wing, your forehand is in the center of the ice, making one-timers really easy. But you have to catch a lot of passes on your backhand which is awkward.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:59 PM
WaltWhitman

This thread is great to read for someone like me who played competitively in school, but hasn't played since. Just watching the pros or college hockey,you can forget how much fun it is. But you all are sort of child-like in your approach and it's infectious. I need to join the local men's league or build a backyard rink.

Beth, great advice about stopping. If you keep decreasing the distance it takes to stop, while increasing your skating speed, eventually you will have the strength and control to stop on a dime like the pros.

Don't get discouraged if you don't feel good enough. Remember, it takes more will and effort to get better than to be good.

WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWhitman View Post
But you all are sort of child-like in your approach
my wife definitely agrees . . .

Old
05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
theotis77

Hey, turns out I'm the leading assist getter in my beginner-level league, per the stats that were released last night. And I even missed a game.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:54 PM
CPAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
Hey, turns out I'm the leading assist getter in my beginner-level league, per the stats that were released last night. And I even missed a game.

Hahaha ME TOO! And the funny thing is i don't even know how. Everything happens in such a blur i don't even realize i'm getting assists. I wish i could get a goal.

CPAir is offline   Reply With Quote