HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Market For Bernier

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2012, 09:26 AM
  #1
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,761
vCash: 500
The Market For Bernier

Nice article on ESPN Insider. Here is a couple blurbs for those without access.


http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...an-bernier-nhl



"Everybody is high on Bernier," said an NHL scout. "There's no question he's been brought along nicely by L.A. I think there's a number of teams in the NHL that need a goaltender that covet Bernier."


The favorite





Tampa Bay Lightning -- The Lightning are the front-runners to acquire Bernier. The Quebec native would be a great fit under Guy Boucher and there's a Kings connection. Al Murray is the director of amateur scouting in Tampa and he was part of the staff that selected Bernier in the first round for the Kings. It's safe to assume he thinks highly of the talented goalie. GM Steve Yzerman also tipped his hand to Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times, saying he'd prefer acquiring a young goalie with upside. "My preference is to go with a little bit of a younger guy that maybe has a little less experience and can step up and play well for us now," Yzerman told Cristodero.



The asking price will probably start with a first-round pick, an asset the Lightning can spare since Yzerman has two of them in June's draft.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:55 AM
  #2
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 500
Hate to get into this since the Cup finals are tomorrow, but I can see us pushing for the Wings 1st (I think 21st overall) and a prospect like Richard Panik or, if DL wants a D-man for some reason, Radko Gudas or Mark Barberio. I like Barberio the most, he'll be a nice defenseman at the NHL level. That's from Tampa Bay anyways, not sure who else will be bidding, if anyone. Likely, we'll have to wait not just for Quick to resign, but for Luongop to go someplace. He's not young, but whoever gets Luongo will be stuck with that contract for a long time.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
  #3
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Hate to get into this since the Cup finals are tomorrow, but I can see us pushing for the Wings 1st (I think 21st overall) and a prospect like Richard Panik or, if DL wants a D-man for some reason, Radko Gudas or Mark Barberio. I like Barberio the most, he'll be a nice defenseman at the NHL level. That's from Tampa Bay anyways, not sure who else will be bidding, if anyone. Likely, we'll have to wait not just for Quick to resign, but for Luongop to go someplace. He's not young, but whoever gets Luongo will be stuck with that contract for a long time.
Connolly and a 2nd.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:01 AM
  #4
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 500
I think people are going to be a bit dissapointed in Connolly personally. He strikes me as a guy like Raffi Torres scoring wise. Torres was viewed in his draft year as a big time scorer/power forward. While he did have one very good season of 27 goals, Torres has been mostly a 15-goal type. Connolly I don't think can transform his game like Torres has either to be a more physical, grinding type.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:06 AM
  #5
ouendan1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
I don't care if it destroys any value Bernier has, you HAVE to wait until Quick has a new contract. Since Quick can't put his name at the bottom of the contract until July 1st at the earliest, I don't see Bernier being traded at the draft.

ouendan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:09 AM
  #6
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 500
Who is Quick's agent and what kind of repoire does DL have with him? That might be what allows Bernier to be dealt at the draft.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
  #7
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 50
I don't think Bernier will be traded until Quick is re-signed.

However, we will be drafting 29th or 30th.

Dean may not be able to resist moving our 1st and Bernier for a top 10 pick.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
  #8
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,283
vCash: 500
DL is gonna wait until someone blows his mind with an offer.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:47 AM
  #9
tantrum4*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
I don't think Bernier will be traded until Quick is re-signed.

However, we will be drafting 29th or 30th.

Dean may not be able to resist moving our 1st and Bernier for a top 10 pick.
If Columbus sees someone they like at 29 or 30, we won't be picking at all.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
  #10
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
I don't think Bernier will be traded until Quick is re-signed.

However, we will be drafting 29th or 30th.

Dean may not be able to resist moving our 1st and Bernier for a top 10 pick.
Because Columbus can wait until two picks before LA's 1st, we have to keep it until COlumbus tells us what they are doing. As such, we will not be able to flip the pick as part of a package for a top 10 pick (unless Columbus tells us very early on they won't be taking the pick, and I can't see that happening).

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:52 AM
  #11
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 50
Teams picking 1, 4, 5, 9, and 10 are looking for a young netminder.

Edmonton having #1 is very interesting. They ALREADY have too much youth to be able to afford in a couple years. There is no "2nd contract" for young studs anymore (see Doughty, Stamkos)

With Hall, Eberle, RNH, and to a degree MSP....they are already looking at 20+ million on a few forwards within the next 2-3 years and that is not even including Yakupov. Yakupov is going #1, and in a few years the Oilers can't afford all these guys at the forward position.

Bernier must be an appeal to them since the Kings have already knocked out a few years of developing him. He can step right in and be the starter and can grow with the team.

I think the Oilers would seriously consider a deal that included our 1st, Bernier, and a dman for the #1 overall.

It is just a matter of if DL is willing to gamble on Quick.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:53 AM
  #12
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Because Columbus can wait until two picks before LA's 1st, we have to keep it until COlumbus tells us what they are doing. As such, we will not be able to flip the pick as part of a package for a top 10 pick (unless Columbus tells us very early on they won't be taking the pick, and I can't see that happening).
LOL....and that pretty much destroyed my next post.

The deal could still be made when it was the Kings pick though....

Will be an interesting draft

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:55 AM
  #13
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouendan1 View Post
I don't care if it destroys any value Bernier has, you HAVE to wait until Quick has a new contract. Since Quick can't put his name at the bottom of the contract until July 1st at the earliest, I don't see Bernier being traded at the draft.
Lombardi and Quick can come up with and settle on a deal way before July 1st, it just won't become official until then, but if Dean wants to trade Bernier at the draft, he can, knowing he has Quick signed when July rolls around

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:07 PM
  #14
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Teams picking 1, 4, 5, 9, and 10 are looking for a young netminder.

Edmonton having #1 is very interesting. They ALREADY have too much youth to be able to afford in a couple years. There is no "2nd contract" for young studs anymore (see Doughty, Stamkos)

With Hall, Eberle, RNH, and to a degree MSP....they are already looking at 20+ million on a few forwards within the next 2-3 years and that is not even including Yakupov. Yakupov is going #1, and in a few years the Oilers can't afford all these guys at the forward position.

Bernier must be an appeal to them since the Kings have already knocked out a few years of developing him. He can step right in and be the starter and can grow with the team.

I think the Oilers would seriously consider a deal that included our 1st, Bernier, and a dman for the #1 overall.

It is just a matter of if DL is willing to gamble on Quick.
I think the oilers would be the most interesting scenario to me. I just wonder how badly DL wants to deal a good goalie in his own conference.

I think what we may be more likely to see is a MPS/Hickey type of deal.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:17 PM
  #15
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Lombardi and Quick can come up with and settle on a deal way before July 1st, it just won't become official until then, but if Dean wants to trade Bernier at the draft, he can, knowing he has Quick signed when July rolls around
Doubtful. This won't be an easy negotiating contract like everyone assumes. CBA is still up in the air, and Quick is not a UFA anytime soon. So Dean doesn't HAVE to move quickly. In fact, that's not DL's mantra when it comes to big contracts...he is very patient.

You know the DL mantra...right price, right fit, blah blah....he's going to be patient.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:53 PM
  #16
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Doubtful. This won't be an easy negotiating contract like everyone assumes. CBA is still up in the air, and Quick is not a UFA anytime soon. So Dean doesn't HAVE to move quickly. In fact, that's not DL's mantra when it comes to big contracts...he is very patient.

You know the DL mantra...right price, right fit, blah blah....he's going to be patient.
If anyone doesn't fit that mantra, it's Quick.

I can see DL waiting on the CBA for sure, but once that's settled he has to man up here and admit that the only reason the Kings are in the playoffs and he still has a job is because Quick used his Wonder Twin powers and morphed into a sheet of plywood most nights. Quick has a ton of power in these negotiations, about all DL can do is try to stop him from being the highest paid goalie in the league. If Quick wins the cup and Conn Smythe and Vezina, look out.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
  #17
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,274
vCash: 500
I hope he trades him after quick signs, and gets a 2013 first round pick.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
  #18
SuperAlmeida
Registered User
 
SuperAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I hope he trades him after quick signs, and gets a 2013 first round pick.
This! There are so many good players next year! You have MacKinnon, Barkov Jr. Jones, Monahan, Lazar, Domi etc.!

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:26 PM
  #19
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
This! There are so many good players next year! You have MacKinnon, Barkov Jr. Jones, Monahan, Lazar, Domi etc.!
Next year's draft is suppsoe to be very deep. I still think Howson snuck one past DL with Columbus being able to pic kthe year they use our first. Sucks that we may not have a pick for the 2013 draft. 03' was a good year, 93 (minus Daigle) was a good year. Every ten years seems to be good.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
  #20
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
If anyone doesn't fit that mantra, it's Quick.

I can see DL waiting on the CBA for sure, but once that's settled he has to man up here and admit that the only reason the Kings are in the playoffs and he still has a job is because Quick used his Wonder Twin powers and morphed into a sheet of plywood most nights. Quick has a ton of power in these negotiations, about all DL can do is try to stop him from being the highest paid goalie in the league. If Quick wins the cup and Conn Smythe and Vezina, look out.
I don't think Dean will sign Quick at all costs to be certain. Quick does have a lot of power, but I'd rather have a goalie that wants to stay in LA to compete for more cups rather than be focused on being the highest paid goalie after ONE stellar year where he wasn't a complete flop in the playoffs.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:38 PM
  #21
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
I don't think Dean will sign Quick at all costs to be certain. Quick does have a lot of power, but I'd rather have a goalie that wants to stay in LA to compete for more cups rather than be focused on being the highest paid goalie after ONE stellar year where he wasn't a complete flop in the playoffs.
Quick has won me over (how can any kings fan not be a fan of his) and I was 100% on the bernier bus since his draft. However I hope that we can sign him for under 5.5mil. I just think when teams pay more than that in net it really hinders what they can do elsewhere.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
  #22
Monarchist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Because Columbus can wait until two picks before LA's 1st, we have to keep it until COlumbus tells us what they are doing. As such, we will not be able to flip the pick as part of a package for a top 10 pick (unless Columbus tells us very early on they won't be taking the pick, and I can't see that happening).
I don't understand. You can trade "future considerations," which can mean almost anything or nothing. Why can't Dean trade "the Kings' 1st round pick in 2012 or 2013, whichever CBJ doesn't take," and have that team wait until two spots before the pick to know if they're getting the pick that year?

Or give CBJ a...5th rounder or so, or Drewskie...to stop kidding everyone about which pick they're going to take. They're not going to want the functionally 29th pick (NJ will forfeit this year's pick, no mystery there either) when they could instead probably get a higher pick (unless the Kings win the cu next year) in a better draft year.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:07 PM
  #23
Monarchist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Quick has won me over (how can any kings fan not be a fan of his) and I was 100% on the bernier bus since his draft. However I hope that we can sign him for under 5.5mil. I just think when teams pay more than that in net it really hinders what they can do elsewhere.
I'm more concerned about term than cap hit. A star goalie can't be relegated to second or third line duties like a skater can be if he is playing through injuries or declines. You either use the goalie or lose the whole investment. You sign a goalie while he begins the last year of his contract, that's an extra year something bad could happen in.

Kopi's deal expires in 2016-17, Doughty in 19-20, Richards in 20-21, Carter in 22-23. How about signing Quick until 17-18 or 18-19, a 4 or 5 year deal, for $6-6.5 million/year?

I am not a fan of the Rinne contract $7 million/7 years.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:17 PM
  #24
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
I don't understand. You can trade "future considerations," which can mean almost anything or nothing. Why can't Dean trade "the Kings' 1st round pick in 2012 or 2013, whichever CBJ doesn't take," and have that team wait until two spots before the pick to know if they're getting the pick that year?

Or give CBJ a...5th rounder or so, or Drewskie...to stop kidding everyone about which pick they're going to take. They're not going to want the functionally 29th pick (NJ will forfeit this year's pick, no mystery there either) when they could instead probably get a higher pick (unless the Kings win the cu next year) in a better draft year.
You are right, we can trade any of those assets mentioned. What I was saying is that unless Columbus says to us ahead of time that they don't want the 2012 1st, we are forced to hold on to it. You can bribe them, request them to tell you ahead of time, whatever you want. But until Columbus officially says "we will be taking the 2013 1st" LA has to hold onto the 2012 1st. There is no reason whatsoever (outside of a bribe such as you suggested) for COlumbus to not wait all the way until the 27th pick or 28th pick, whichever is two picks prior to the Kings pick, before making that decision. Therefore they can't trade it in a deal to get say a top 10 pick.

Also, what team is going to take "whichever pick Columbus doesn't take"? There's a huge difference between the two picks potentially, it's not like it's an option A or B here.

I also believe the bribe to make Columbus decide ahead of time will likely be far more substantial than a depth guy like Drewiske or a 5th. Try a 2nd or an NHL ready prospect like Muzzin or Hickey, or perhaps Toffoli. Once again, there's no reason for Columbus to do us a favor.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:24 PM
  #25
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Quick has won me over (how can any kings fan not be a fan of his) and I was 100% on the bernier bus since his draft. However I hope that we can sign him for under 5.5mil. I just think when teams pay more than that in net it really hinders what they can do elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
I'm more concerned about term than cap hit. A star goalie can't be relegated to second or third line duties like a skater can be if he is playing through injuries or declines. You either use the goalie or lose the whole investment. You sign a goalie while he begins the last year of his contract, that's an extra year something bad could happen in.

Kopi's deal expires in 2016-17, Doughty in 19-20, Richards in 20-21, Carter in 22-23. How about signing Quick until 17-18 or 18-19, a 4 or 5 year deal, for $6-6.5 million/year?

I am not a fan of the Rinne contract $7 million/7 years.
Be prepared for something along the lines of $6.9 million then.

Quick is a UFA to be and a Vezina finalist in a year where the other two Vezina finalists are making a cap hit of $6.8 and $7 million each (or about to in Rinne's case). Additionally, I can't imagine the backlash should we win the cup and then see Quick walk one year later. There will be immense pressure on AEG to keep the two faces of the cup run (Quick and Brown) long term and if we don't, it could cause a falling out. Quick holds far to many chips in this negotiation and it'll only get worse if he gets any/all of the Vezina, Conn Smythe and the Stanley Cup. As a fan, I'd be ecstatic, but so will his agent.

I think people need to stop thinking "home town discount" so much and focus more on "what would his agent/Quick want/be able to get." I'm not sure what you think a hometown discount is, but even if the market value for Quick was $7 million, which the argument can be made for, and even if he took a 10% discount, that'd still be $6.3 million. And 10% is a big discount.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.