HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson19 View Post
Biggest frustration - how seriously people take beer league hockey. Sure we are playing in the more competitive level, but still people.

Second biggest frustration - shoddy reffing. Normally it was fine but lately any bit of physical play and the refs start lecturing about how they are gonna kick everyone out of the game and start flip flopping on what is called and what isn't. Hell, recently we had a guy trip up an opponent on a breakaway. Penalty shot, but they let play continue. We then touched the puck twice (albeit not for long) before another guy takes a penalty trying to touch the puck. The other teams gets a penalty shot AND we have to kill off 2 minutes now. I couldn't believe that ****.
The first one is so true. I've played in a variety of beer leagues, but the one in Kitimat is almost in a universe unto itself. So many guys who act like it's the bloody NHL here.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:33 AM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
If you had to pick, would you rather a newbie be overly "enthusiastic" and go hard, yet recklessly after pucks, or a newbie who plays under control, but has a tendency to float?
I want to preface this by saying, I am a terrible, terrible hockey player. It's like a 50/50 that i would miss an empty net from a 3 feet away.

But I have HAD IT WITH FLOATERS. Seriously, I don't care if you're inexperienced, if you can't shoot, or if you miss every pass I throw you. As long as you're trying. As long as you're not just gliding back and forth on straight legs, watching it all happen.

There's these two new girls on my team - with matching pink stick tape, helmets and gloves - who just will not skate. They can skate well enough, but they won't sprint, won't forecheck or backcheck and if I see one of them stroll casually into the corner in the offensive zone after the puck then lag back when the other team's D picks it up and get caught offside ONE MORE TIME I'LL...

Old
05-29-2012, 05:42 AM
GrafSk8r12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Nothing a little nice open ice hit won't fix
Ohh, how I wish it were a contact league, haha. Actually, it's pretty amusing to ask them if they want to drop the gloves, which results in them putting their heads down and skating away. I'd never fight in the beer league because that's just absurd, but there's nothing wrong with making them piss their pants a bit

Old
05-29-2012, 12:39 PM
dlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I got boarded from behind by a guy who couldn't stop. Yeah, it does get a bit dangerous when someone who can't skate decides to play reckless.
Yea, even when someone learns to skate, then there's learning to skate with the teammate so we can cross the blueline together. So many new players disrupt the flow or cause offside.
Granted you need to play together but there also a player that want to go up and down the wing and expects the the pass rather than flowing along the blue line and letting the puck handler cross the blueline.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Poison and Wine

vCash: 564
Giving up goals sucks. People should just stop scoring on me.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:35 PM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
If you had to pick, would you rather a newbie be overly "enthusiastic" and go hard, yet recklessly after pucks, or a newbie who plays under control, but has a tendency to float?
I don't currently play in a league, but I can identify with both of these situations.

I have to admit, I'd prefer the hard-skating, enthusiastic newbie over the floating newb. The floaters drive me crazy. They take the longest shifts because they don't get tired out there. In the dressing room when they take off their helmets, there's hardly a bead of sweat on them.

On the other hand, we have a "hard" skating newb that comes out to pick-up that ends up playing every single position in one shift because he has no clue where he's supposed to be and just ends up following the puck around. He's been "coached" on where he should be for his position, but nothing gets through that thick skull.

He's one of those players.. "I've only been playing for a year!" (as in: can you believe how good i am within a year?!) instead of "I've only been playing for a year" (as in: I still have a lot to learn)

Old
05-29-2012, 02:10 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
I don't currently play in a league, but I can identify with both of these situations.

I have to admit, I'd prefer the hard-skating, enthusiastic newbie over the floating newb. The floaters drive me crazy. They take the longest shifts because they don't get tired out there. In the dressing room when they take off their helmets, there's hardly a bead of sweat on them.

On the other hand, we have a "hard" skating newb that comes out to pick-up that ends up playing every single position in one shift because he has no clue where he's supposed to be and just ends up following the puck around. He's been "coached" on where he should be for his position, but nothing gets through that thick skull.

He's one of those players.. "I've only been playing for a year!" (as in: can you believe how good i am within a year?!) instead of "I've only been playing for a year" (as in: I still have a lot to learn)

I've learned everything about positioning through my 9 year old son playing hockey. Watching his practices, learning with him, listening to his coaches instruct his team.

I played in a pick up game Sunday night. My son usually plays RW or LW, so that's what I played. I'm very new to hockey (started last fall), and was playing with players who were mostly newer than me. I was amazed at how many clean breakaways I got just by staying where I was supposed to be.

I tell my son before and after every game he plays. Your position has a job to do, just do that job, don't try and do someone elses job.

Old
05-29-2012, 03:06 PM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
I've learned everything about positioning through my 9 year old son playing hockey. Watching his practices, learning with him, listening to his coaches instruct his team.

I played in a pick up game Sunday night. My son usually plays RW or LW, so that's what I played. I'm very new to hockey (started last fall), and was playing with players who were mostly newer than me. I was amazed at how many clean breakaways I got just by staying where I was supposed to be.

I tell my son before and after every game he plays. Your position has a job to do, just do that job, don't try and do someone elses job.
Exactly.

IMO all you have to do to be considered a "good" hockey player is play your position, stick to the fundamentals (do the little things right), and skate hard every shift. It's not all about scoring goals and racking up assists. Those will come naturally if you are doing the little things that are important to which ever position you play.

It really grinds my gears when someone starts playing my wing in the Defensive end when I'm CLEARLY there doing what I'm supposed to. More often than not its the newbies and I have to ask them what side of the ice they are supposed to be on.

Old
05-29-2012, 03:23 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
It really grinds my gears when someone starts playing my wing in the Defensive end when I'm CLEARLY there doing what I'm supposed to. More often than not its the newbies and I have to ask them what side of the ice they are supposed to be on.
This. I skated for a team in a league lower then what I'm used to playing and my D partner for this team would constantly leave his guy to come over to my side and pursue the puck carrier when clearly I had things under control.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Joey Banana

I love the guys who chase the puck ALL THE TIME. I ****ing love it. As if you would just have to catch that puck and you´ve won it all.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:15 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Banana View Post
I love the guys who chase the puck ALL THE TIME. I ****ing love it. As if you would just have to catch that puck and you´ve won it all.
Haha, reminds me of elementary school gym class floor hockey.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:17 PM
hockeymass

I love the guys that just HAVE TO carry the puck up ice, regardless of how far ahead and how open the other forwards are. Bonus points if you have to stop at the blue to stay onside and then they try and skate through you.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
I love the guys that just HAVE TO carry the puck up ice, regardless of how far ahead and how open the other forwards are. Bonus points if you have to stop at the blue to stay onside and then they try and skate through you.
I call this "The Crosby" because he can do it (sometimes) they think that is how the game is meant to be played. It is frustrating

Old
05-29-2012, 05:41 PM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
I call this "The Crosby" because he can do it (sometimes) they think that is how the game is meant to be played. It is frustrating
Do you play at the Skating Edge Sunday mornings by any chance?

Old
05-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Stickmata

I hate it when players don't understand the concept of F1, F2, F3 responsibility or how to read/react to the play and switch. Always chaps me when my center, who's always behind the play, complains about me covering his position when he should have recognized the switch and covered the wing.

I was recently reading through a prominent program's coaches book and it said something I wanted to copy and tape to this guy's forehead. It said, whether you are the Center, Right Wing or Left Wing means nothing other than how you line up for the faceoff. After that, it is only read/react based on the order in which you enter either zone.

Old
05-29-2012, 06:11 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I hate it when players don't understand the concept of F1, F2, F3 responsibility or how to read/react to the play and switch. Always chaps me when my center, who's always behind the play, complains about me covering his position when he should have recognized the switch and covered the wing.

I was recently reading through a prominent program's coaches book and it said something I wanted to copy and tape to this guy's forehead. It said, whether you are the Center, Right Wing or Left Wing means nothing other than how you line up for the faceoff. After that, it is only read/react based on the order in which you enter either zone.
As a follow on to this, defensemen that sit on the blueline no matter what is happening.

Old
05-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Poison and Wine

vCash: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
As a follow on to this, defensemen that sit on the blueline no matter what is happening.
On the converse, how about forwards who make no attempt whatsoever to track back to the point if a defenseman pinches? That's pretty annoying too.

Old
05-29-2012, 07:04 PM
dlam

I think as long as a newbie knows how to play his position on defense
Just be able to accept passes and know when to pass the puck then he'll be descent

Old
05-29-2012, 07:15 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
On the converse, how about forwards who make no attempt whatsoever to track back to the point if a defenseman pinches? That's pretty annoying too.

Yes definitely. Basically anyone who thinks that the faceoff positions are how you should be set up on the ice at all times is irritating.

Old
05-29-2012, 09:35 PM
donkers*

Quote:
Just got an email saying you tried to PM me. I have 3 infractions so I can't receive PM's. I grew up in nearby Redondo and whenever I come home to visit my parents I try to make that early Sunday pick up.

Old
05-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
Just got an email saying you tried to PM me. I have 3 infractions so I can't receive PM's. I grew up in nearby Redondo and whenever I come home to visit my parents I try to make that early Sunday pick up.
ha I was just going to post a reply - I did play there in the different leagues, but now I don't play at all due to health reasons. I do skate there on the weekend evenings.

Are you on SA too? Someone asked a similar question there

Old
05-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Rumcajs

I hate it when people flipping pass it back to me on D when a forward is 2 feet away from me. How dumb are you to do that.

Secondly, when nobody passes to you after you flubbed your first pass in a pick up.

Old
05-29-2012, 11:39 PM
donkers*

Quote:
ha I was just going to post a reply - I did play there in the different leagues, but now I don't play at all due to health reasons. I do skate there on the weekend evenings.

Are you on SA too? Someone asked a similar question there
I played Pee Wee there for a year then moved on to Jr. Kings.

What's SA?

Old
05-30-2012, 03:02 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Here is mine from tonight.

In the semi-finals, the game is tied at 3 with a little over 2 minutes left. One of our players is carrying the puck out of our zone for a 2-on-2, I'm the player with him. One of their guys makes a bad read and misses a poke check, my teammate goes by him, it's a 2-on-1. He slowed down a bit and I drove as fast as I could to the net to open up a passing lane that the other dman was trying to fill. My teammate gives me a great pass, I'm behind the dman and driving the net. He gets his stick in my skates about 3 feet from the crease and takes me down; as I'm going down I managed to push the puck towards the net just so there was be a slight chance that it would go in. It went about 10 MPH and slid along the ice.

The ref comes over with his arm up and only calls the trip, not a penalty shot. He said that because I was able to put the puck on net I wasn't denied a good scoring chance. They killed the penalty, overtime was scoreless, and they won in a shootout. I was the 4th shooter but our first three guys were all stopped.

I seriously think I would have scored too. In the shootout the goalie "faked" a pokecheck by dropping his stick in his blocker all the way down to the knob WAY too early on the first two shooters, but they both went in with a set move and missed. I always skate in and see whats given to me before I even look to make a deke. If he tried that on me during the penalty shot there is no way that he would have been able to lift his blocker back up quick enough if I took a snapshot up high.

Feels bad man.

Old
05-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
I played Pee Wee there for a year then moved on to Jr. Kings.

What's SA?
SA is somethingawful.com

My Kid played midget at BH and my nephew did the Jr Kings.

I helped coached the Red Wings midgets for one season including part of as the head coach. I have such an awful anxiety disorder and somehow ended up coaching late teens - it really was uncomfortable for me.

Closed Thread