HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers have ca$h, just donít know how much

Old
05-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Reading through this thread, it seems like most everyone is saying the same things:

1) The Rangers need another top-end point producer. Leaning on Richards, Gaborik and Callahan to shoulder the load is not going to work.

2) The Rangers need a better 3rd line center. Moving Boyle up to the 3rd line C spot is okay, but when the inevitable injuries occur moving him up to 2c is not something a NHL team looking to vie for the Stanley Cup should do.

3) The Rangers need another top-4/6 RD. Preferably a puck-mover but a hard-nosed, mean d-man would work well too.

We will see what they do, but some of these in between players like Jones (who is barely a top-6 forward) should not even be looked at. They are more of the same.

Options for 1:
Nash
Ryan
Parise
Iginla
Clowe

Options for 2:
Gaustad
Kelly
Ott

Options for 3:
Schultz
Stuart
Suter

Comparing the costs of the players, unless someone else is available that I am not aware of, I would take Parise, Kelly and Schultz.
Stuart is going West. Suter is a LD. Wideman is available though.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:37 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Stuart is going West. Suter is a LD. Wideman is available though.
I agree, Wideman would not work here in NY. He will want too much money IMO.

I'll throw out another name, how about Jay McClement?

51.3% on faceoffs, 10 goals and 17 points last year. 29 years old.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=50112

He has had some decent seasons in St. Louis, scoring over 30 points. Big body @ 6'1 205lbs.

I think he would be a decent "outside the box" option if Kelly and Gaustad prove to be too much money and Dallas' price is too high for Ott (who would be my first choice BY FAR).

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:37 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Reading through this thread, it seems like most everyone is saying the same things:

1) The Rangers need another top-end point producer. Leaning on Richards, Gaborik and Callahan to shoulder the load is not going to work.

2) The Rangers need a better 3rd line center. Moving Boyle up to the 3rd line C spot is okay, but when the inevitable injuries occur moving him up to 2c is not something a NHL team looking to vie for the Stanley Cup should do.

3) The Rangers need another top-4/6 RD. Preferably a puck-mover but a hard-nosed, mean d-man would work well too.

We will see what they do, but some of these in between players like Jones (who is barely a top-6 forward) should not even be looked at. They are more of the same.

Options for 1:
Nash
Ryan
Parise
Iginla
Clowe

Options for 2:
Gaustad
Kelly
Ott
Stoll

Options for 3:
Schultz
Stuart
Suter

Comparing the costs of the players, unless someone else is available that I am not aware of, I would take Parise, Kelly and Schultz.
Out of those options i'd love

Option 1 - Ryan
Options 2 - Gaustad, Kelly or Stoll whoever is cheapest
Option 3 - Schultz

Realistically though i think only option 2 and 3 will be addressed.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
I agree, Wideman would not work here in NY. He will want too much money IMO.

I'll throw out another name, how about Jay McClement?

51.3% on faceoffs, 10 goals and 17 points last year. 29 years old.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=50112

He has had some decent seasons in St. Louis, scoring over 30 points. Big body @ 6'1 205lbs.

I think he would be a decent "outside the box" option if Kelly and Gaustad prove to be too much money and Dallas' price is too high for Ott (who would be my first choice BY FAR).
I'd rather have a 3rd line centered by Boyle than by Gaustad or McClement

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'd rather have a 3rd line centered by Boyle than by Gaustad or McClement
What's wrong with having a 3a and 3b line? Boyle gets a ton of time throughout the season. The Rangers were lucky this year that he wasn't hurt for an extended period of time. What would happen if he went down for 2 months with a broken forearm? The team sucks on face-offs and defensively, he is very good.

Add McClement as a 3rd/4th line center and Torts can actually roll 4 lines.

Old
05-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Jay McClement and Paul Gaustad are not 3rd liners. Neither is Brian Boyle in reality. You need 30-40 points from your 3rd line C.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:04 PM
NYR Viper

Here is another idea for a 3rd/4th line center:

Adam Burish. The guy was 55+% in the face-off circle. Around 100 PIM's and 19 points last season. I believe he won a Cup in Chicago. Heart and Soul player. Provides depth and a solid face-off guy on the 4th line.

I think Boyle could play on the 3rd line. Not sure I like him at C due to his lack of passing skills. I think he will score 25-30 points next season.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:05 PM
ThisYearsModel

If Boyle plays anywhere other than 4th line center, our depth is not where it needs to be. He and Prust need to be on the 4th line, PK and if they want to use Boyle for some face offs, fine. We need to figure out if AA and Stepan can/will be centers for the 2nd and 3rd lines. If not, we need to find one. Ideally, Step should center the second line and AA should be the center of the checking line.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I just think we're stretching it to put Boyle in that position. We have a fine center for that line in Anisimov. He just needs wingers

Old
05-29-2012, 01:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I just think we're stretching it to put Boyle in that position. We have a fine center for that line in Anisimov. He just needs wingers
Until Artie gets better at face-offs, you need someone else on that line to take the face-offs. I also am a firm believer that if you put him on the wing from training camp on, he will be able to concentrate more on his offensive game. The Rangers need for him to take that next step offensively. Defensively, he is fine (although he needs to add strength).

Old
05-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Anisimov will get better in the circle with time. He looks awful on the wing

Old
05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Here is another idea for a 3rd/4th line center:

Adam Burish. The guy was 55+% in the face-off circle. Around 100 PIM's and 19 points last season. I believe he won a Cup in Chicago. Heart and Soul player. Provides depth and a solid face-off guy on the 4th line.

I think Boyle could play on the 3rd line. Not sure I like him at C due to his lack of passing skills. I think he will score 25-30 points next season.
He'd be great to replace Prust if needed.

Plus he went to WI

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:17 PM
NYR Viper

Let him work on his face-offs in practice. When he goes at a 44.8% clip in the playoffs and 46.7% in the regular season that is not getting the job done. That's a lot of chasing of the puck when you should have control. All that it takes is Boyle to go down for this team to absolutely get man-handled in the face-off circle.

People want Boyle to get less ice-time? Bring in a legit 3rd/4th line center who can win some face-offs and take some of that time away.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
He'd be great to replace Prust if needed.

Plus he went to WI
I was actually thinking how nice it would be to see:

Boyle-Anisimov-______
Rupp-Burish-Prust

Let Boyle share the face-off duties with Artie and take them on the PK. That instantly makes the teams face-off problem disappear. Taking Arties 46% and replacing it with a 55+% with Burish.

I think Boyle should be on the wing anyways. Let him block shots and get in on the forecheck and drive the net.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:

Boyle-Anisimov-______
Rupp-Burish-Prust

Let Boyle share the face-off duties with Artie and take them on the PK. That instantly makes the teams face-off problem disappear. Taking Arties 46% and replacing it with a 55+% with Burish.

I think Boyle should be on the wing anyways. Let him block shots and get in on the forecheck and drive the net.
Personally, If we were to keep Boyle, I would want him as a 4th line winger. The dudes poor skating is such a liability at center(not to mention his stone hands). Its less of a problem if he is a winger.

But third line center duties is not going to cut it with Boyle.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:27 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Personally, If we were to keep Boyle, I would want him as a 4th line winger. The dudes poor skating is such a liability at center(not to mention his stone hands). Its less of a problem if he is a winger.

But third line center duties is not going to cut it with Boyle.
For his size, he is actually a good skater. Put another big-body on that 3rd line, or even move Prust up and that has the makings of a very good shut-down 3rd line that can grind it out in the corners and create some chances.

Boyle-Anisimov-_____

Burish can PK as well which would help take some of the load off of players like Callahan and Stepan to keep them fresh. The Rangers can't go into next season having a player like Mitchell on the 4th line who will play 3-6 minutes a night for 82 games. It's just too much ice-time for everyone else over a long season.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:29 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:

Boyle-Anisimov-______
Rupp-Burish-Prust

Rather see
Dubi/Hags-BR-MG
CK-DS-?
Dubi/Hags-AA-Cally
Burish-Boyle-Prust

I think there's a chance Yogan could make the 4th line out of camp. Maybe I'm way off base. I think Rupp is done. I'd rather have Mitchell as our 13th F.

I still think Semin is an interesting option. I don't think he'd be any more prone to the doghouse than Gabby. I'd really like to see him on BR's wing & put Gabby back with Stepan.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:32 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

If we have the pack line together, Dubi could take face offs for AA.

McClement or Burish would be decent pickups. I have a feeling Haystack and Stoll will be overpaid substantially. Kelly would be my top choice from among those five guys.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I don't see the point in paying a UFA price for a 3rd line center when we have Anisimov here already. He's already posted better numbers than most of the guys mentioned (Kelly, Gaustad, etc), is younger, cheaper, very solid defensively, and has great size. Is he overly physical? No, but if he's on a line with Dubinsky and Callahan, what does it matter? I wouldn't give up on him just so we can get a 6-8% boost on face-offs or a few more brainless penalties.

IMO, it's best to groom those kind of role players from within. On the UFA market, those guys are almost always overpaid.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

If the kings win the cup, Stoll is going to be way over priced. He has been a really good role player on that team. I have to believe some maniacal team, with a hard on to spend money, will give him way too much.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
For his size, he is actually a good skater. Put another big-body on that 3rd line, or even move Prust up and that has the makings of a very good shut-down 3rd line that can grind it out in the corners and create some chances.

Boyle-Anisimov-_____

Burish can PK as well which would help take some of the load off of players like Callahan and Stepan to keep them fresh. The Rangers can't go into next season having a player like Mitchell on the 4th line who will play 3-6 minutes a night for 82 games. It's just too much ice-time for everyone else over a long season.
No he isn't, he has no agility to his skating which often makes him flatfooted way to often. Chara is good skater for his size, Joe Thorton. But Boyle, outside of skating in a straight line, is a terrible skater.

He is an especially terrible skater at the center position which requires a ton of lateral skating in the defensive zone. If you didn't notice in the playoffs, Boyle was often times being matched with the point men in D zone. Feds would often fall back to the center lane. Even Torts recognized this.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
No he isn't, he has no agility to his skating which often makes him flatfooted way to often. Chara is good skater for his size, Joe Thorton. But Boyle, outside of skating in a straight line, is a terrible skater.

He is an especially terrible skater at the center position which requires a ton of lateral skating in the defensive zone. If you didn't notice in the playoffs, Boyle was often times being matched with the point men in D zone. Feds would often fall back to the center lane. Even Torts recognized this.
Almost every Ranger wing was down low at certain points due to the way the team plays. Boyle is not a terrible skater in the least.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't see the point in paying a UFA price for a 3rd line center when we have Anisimov here already. He's already posted better numbers than most of the guys mentioned (Kelly, Gaustad, etc), is younger, cheaper, very solid defensively, and has great size. Is he overly physical? No, but if he's on a line with Dubinsky and Callahan, what does it matter? I wouldn't give up on him just so we can get a 6-8% boost on face-offs or a few more brainless penalties.

IMO, it's best to groom those kind of role players from within. On the UFA market, those guys are almost always overpaid.
Here is the rub with the pack line:

I was a HUGE proponent putting it back together earlier in the season. Well, we did it for about 2-3 games in Feb I believe. It looked terrible. For whatever reason they weren't able to be all that effective until the last two games of the playoffs.

Old
05-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Leetch66

I like Darryl Boyce/MapleLeafs/Blue Jackets as a 4th line addition as he is good on draws...good speed and size and would skate through the end boards to compete for a puck . He could be had for 750,000/season and is an excellent PK guy . Offensive #'s are not great but he has had an awful string of bad breaks along the way . I think he would be a great player under Torts and would excel on a team like the Rangers versus his time in Toronto and Columbus which were both hopeless situations/environments to achieve anything in .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I play around on capgeek with stuff a million times a day....dont wanna change much. Ill be happy if we signs schultz, and or parise/suter. My ideal offseason would be sign schultz and trade duby, 1st round 12, and a prospect for bobby ryan.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote